New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

As you start backing away the one on the left starts approaching the fallen branch. Keeping out of his way you watch him turn back to the group and yell out. With a shrug he begins to converse with them.

Keeping an eye on the rest of the group and you see the one to the right rummaging through his pack, pulling out a small vial.

---OoC---
    It's only been at most 5 rounds since you cast invisibility, so you still have around 6-1/2 minutes left.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

2. - Top - End - #272

BlackDragon

Elestil backs away further and hides behind a tree, wary of the gnome with the vial. Then he reluctanly dismisses his Silence spell, figuring that he would be better off being able to hear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+7)[22]

3. - Top - End - #273

After dismissing the silence you hear the one in the middle saying, "-you back if there's nothing there."

"You'd better, this is expensive," The one with the vial replied. Pulling of the stopper he swings his pack over his shoulder as he drinks the contents. After drinking it his eyes become blue in color.

Spellcraft DC:23
    Spoiler
    Show
    You identify the spell effect of the potion vial as that of the spell Arcane Sight.

---Surprise Round---
    Initiative: Elestil
    one standard action
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #274

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Elestil quietly casts Expeditious Retreat, preparing to hustle his way out of the magic's range.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[16]

EDIT: I misremembered my spell list. Elestil only has a wand of Expeditious Retreat. A further edit is on its way... completed.

Seeing the probably-a-gnome drinking the potion, Elestil thinks quickly and attempts to create a diversion. He fumbles in his pouches, pulling out a bit of fleece. As the goblin bard swirls the fleece and quietly speaks a phrase, the image of a tiny fey creature appears in the top of the tree from which the branch had fallen. The grig leaps right across the field of vision of the three gnomish creatures, landing in the branches of another tree. The grig looks at the creatures, with a wide smirk on its face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elestil casts Silent Image, DC 15 Will save if it's interacted with.
    The illusion is of a grig, which is leaping in a direction intended to draw the gnomes' attention away from Elestil.
    See Initiative result in previous spoiler
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2013-02-15 at 02:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275

Watching your illusion the gnome in the middle speaks in a rolling language that you cannot understand. He keeps his hand over his weapon but otherwise does nothing.

---Initiative---
    Elestil - 16 (Current Turn)
    Middle Gnome - 15(reduced from 19)
    Right Gnome - 15
    Left Gnome - 12

6. - Top - End - #276

BlackDragon

Elestil hopes that the grig illusion is enough of a distraction to cover his retreat, as he doesn't like his chances should the gnomes discover him. Civilized races don't look kindly on any goblins they should find invisibly sneaking up on them.

He directs the grig to leap one more time, in an attempt to draw the magically enhanced eyes of the gnome away long enough to miss the fleeing goblin. The illusory grig leaps once more, landing on a tree branch, where he pulls out a fiddle, setting the instrument under his chin and grinning mischievously.

As the grig is leaping, Elestil turns and flees back towards where Grad is waiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    How far away is Elestil from Grad at this point? He will either double-move or run, moving either 60 ft. or 120 ft., trying to reach within 20 ft. or so of the orc. Will it require a Concentration check to maintain the spell while running? As far as I can tell, it might count as vigorous motion (DC 10), but running is self-controlled, unlike the examples.
    I'm also not sure whether rolling a Bluff check is appropriate, since he is essentially creating a diversion to hide, but he's using the illusion to do so, and it's more of a distraction than a true hide. I'm going to make both rolls here, so that they are rolled already if you decide they are necessary.
    Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration: (1d20+5)[17]
    Bluff: (1d20+10)[30]

And here's a very rough map of my interpretation of the locations of everything. If you had a more precise location determined for some of it, this will help you decide where the illusion should fit in for Elestil's purposes:
    Code:
                 g
           g        g         I

i
            t

E
    g=gnomes
    I=grig illusion's current location
    i=grig illusion's location before this turn
    t=tree that the branch fell from
    E=Elestil's location before this turn
    He'd be running downward towards Grad.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Frandol, my friend, why not clean the canvas with a little Prestidigitation?" Thurod asks simply, pointing out the spell to the Dwarf.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I hope you have it prepared, since Thurod has no other ideas.

However, if you do, the PHB says quite clearly that any cleaning done by Prestidigitation is permenant, unlike most of its other effects. So, botta-bing, botta-boom, your canvas is saved.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

"Prestidi...gitation...?"Frandol ceases to pace back and forth, now scratching the balding spot on the back of his head. "Well, I DO have it prepared from this—"
    Frandol suddenly nods violently."NO! I must not, it is a clumsy spell, and with me magical "hands of the fool" I cannot do such a delicate task precisely!
    Frandol hits his head with his knuckles a few times, eyes tightly shut, he groans as he tries to think.
    "Moradin's death! I am going to get stoned by the public for this! And my reputation...
    Frandol resumes his pacing, now in a circle, his eyes tearing up a bit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    interesting choice, but It's not easy to simply reason with a panicking bloke, I have faith in ya, mate!
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2013-02-16 at 02:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #279

Thurod carefully closes Frandol's spellbook, tucking it under his arm before grabbing Frandol by his shoulders, "Frandol! 'Hands of the Fool'? Hardly! You are a master artist. The only thing stopping you now is fear and nerves. Calm yourself, face the canvas proudly, use your magic to clear it, and then...paint a masterpiece."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can do it, PZ!
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280

Keeping a picture of the branches in your mind, you trace out a path for your magic to follow. Running back in the direction you left Grad, you hear one of the gnomes bark out orders followed by the sound of their pursuit. Moving south you hear the gnomes getting farther away. Despite your lead they should be able to reach you within a matter of seconds. With a quick glance you see Grad thirty feet away to your right.

---Grad---
    Slightly before a minute after Elestil left you you hear rapid footsteps approaching from the northeast. Looking out from your hiding spot you cannot see the source of the sound as it comes closer to you.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Thinking that Elestil might be in trouble, Grad looks around for the source of the noise as he nervously tightens his grip on his blade.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grad still thinks Elestil is invisible AND silenced
    (1d20+3)[6] spot
    (1d20+3)[23] listen

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Frandol pulls away his hand with all his might. He climbs into one of the wagons and digs through the auxiliary gear.
    simply "Face it"? with what - me dwarven resolve? Pride of my achievements? consulting me ancestors?! Prestidigitations may hide my mistake, but -I- will always know that I have done that great blunder. I can try to improve myself, or change completely... Frandol draws two stones, one grey and of dull sheen and the other a white earthly rock with smooth, wavy patches of dark blue, once he returns to the canvas he begins to hit one with the other violently.
    "but I will never... really! -know why...something of this nature would happen, Errgh! or... even... what is it I really... Committed... Aaurgh! And why won't this work!?

Spoiler
    Show
    ^PELOR'S MOVING CORPSE!!!^
    Spoiler
    Show
    I KNOW RIGHT?!
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2013-02-19 at 04:28 PM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #283

BlackDragon

Elestil continues toward Grad, calling out to him, "Grad, it's me! I think they're onto us..."

He hides behind a tree near Grad and notches a new arrow to his bow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to find a tree near Grad, move action to load bow.
    Sorry for the delay.

14. - Top - End - #284

As Elestil moves nearby Grad, the orc hears a group in metal armor running towards them. However before he could see them you hear one bark out an order in an unfamiliar language. Looking from behind your trees you see them stop fifteen feet away, prepared for an attack. The one out front looks towards your direction with glowing blue eyes.

---Initiative---
    Grad, Elestil - Top of the Round
    Blue-eyed gnome - 15
    Gnome #2 - 14
    Gnome #3 - 12

15. - Top - End - #285

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Looking at the tiny gnomes, Grad calls out in Common "We don't mean any harm!"
    While trying his best to not have an Orcish accent, lest these gnomes have had bad experiences with orcs in the past.
    Last edited by Dr.Robotnik; 2013-02-25 at 07:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

The gnomes pull out their blades as you approach. The one with the glowing eyes shouts something to the others as they spot you. The one to his right replies as they keep their distance.

As the others speak amongst themselves, the third one says in common, "Then surrender. Drop your weapons, lower your shield, and have your friends do the same."

17. - Top - End - #287

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Slightly confused, Grad calls out in response "Surrender? Who would I be surrendering to? I'll put my sword away if you put yours away. I just want to talk, nothing more, nothing less."

18. - Top - End - #288

"You'll surrender to us orc, and I know you aren't here to talk. Now you'll drop your weapons if you want to live through today," The gnome replied with force as he glares at you. With his blade out he takes on a more battle ready stance.

19. - Top - End - #289

DwarfBarbarianGuy

With a visible mix of anger and irritation on his face, Grad replies to the gnome as he points his sword at the nearest gnome. "Look at this blade. It is taller than you are. If you attack me, I will retaliate, easily killing or maiming one of you, and the olny person you can blame for starting that fight is yourself. We can still put our swords away and talk this out, and no one gets hurt."

Spoiler
    Show
    Grad prepares to assault the gnomes with his sword if they do anything threatening to him or where Elestil is

20. - Top - End - #290

Keeping his glare on you he sneers as he replies, "Do you think us dull orc? Your blade doesn't scare us, we've dealt with worse-"

The one with the glowing eyes cuts him off before turning his attention to Grad, "You may wound one of us but you will still end up dead," Speaking in common he lowers his blade in a peaceful manner, "However if your surrender will cause us that much strife, then I am willing to let you leave. Put away your sword and go, we won't follow."

21. - Top - End - #291

Thurod strides over quickly and grabs Frandol's wrists, "Frandol, first of all-Trying to start a fire in a forest is not the smartest of ideas. And second, wouldn't casting a single, simple spell, one that has no lasting effects of any degree, be easier than trying to spark a fire for the same purpose, that of fixing your canvas?" Thurod tries.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I hope this works. If not...well, I dunno if Thurod has any other recourse...
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2013-03-05 at 05:28 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hrngh!!! Let... Me...urrgh... Frandol tries to resist the holds, tiring quickly and dropping the stones, he could no longer ignore the half-orc's reasoning as it firmly stands less than two feet from his face. An unmistakable aura of defiant insecurity radiates from Frandol as he swaps gazes with Thurod, and hears his suggestion.
    Frandol stares at the ground beneath him, and quivering with the contrasting glimmer of the purple streak on his red braids – his eyes widened.
    He violently shuts his eyes and looks away, whispers most swiftly to himself, then nods to his words less whispered.
    "<" 'Endeb rünl, Endeb Büln, Endeb pekürl', 'Endeb Rünl, Endeb Büln, Endeb Pekürl'...> -Never betray, never pursue, never embrace.though he has done this before, these whispers were never heard to anyone this clearly. He breathes in deeply and opens his eyes, his face calmed and his cheeks reddened, as he finally speaks after having readied himself.
    "Right then - prestidigitation, was it not? It's Simple as Basalt - How could I have not thought of it?!" He laughs and moves his wrists, implying kindly that he wishes to be released.

Spoiler
    Show
    Uh-whuuuuh?
    ---
    I guess we both sorta won this little play, you got the objective and got frandol back to his senses, and I get screen time to raise a few eyebrows. I won't force you to pursue it, but if you are curious feel free to pry IC - heck, we may just end up making a little detective circle, where you study me studying Arcanist studying everyone else.

But I think that was fun showing a bit more on Frandol, as I aim to make him quite as memorable to you as he is to me - I hope I made a step towards that now

About a minute later he utters softly to the air,

<Ong bel durren karik - Durren kor barlenk, Nei Ran.>"
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2013-03-07 at 11:21 AM.

My Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #293

BlackDragon

Elestil lowers his weapon and dismisses his invisibility. Still hidden behind the tree, he catches Grad's eye and nods toward the convoy. While these gnomes have been unexpectedly aggressive, their job is to escort the convoy. It would seem prudent to take the opportunity to depart peacefully.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elestil will remain hiding for the moment, and is ready to follow Grad's lead. If Grad departs, Elestil will follow him, and you can NPC that action if I'm not around (although I should be back to regular posting very soon). If Grad makes to resist, Elestil is prepared to aid him.

24. - Top - End - #294

Thurod looks curiously at his friend, "'Never betray, never pursue, never embrace'? What does that mean, Frandol?" The Half-Orc inquired.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh...Umm, quite, the proverb.Frandol reaches the back of his head with his left hand, pulling to his left and right on what small hairs grow behind his neck, his expression puzzled that Thurod even asked him that.
    "I Don't know where you would hear that from, but it is a...Umm... A Dwarven saying of old, regarding perfection found in modesty, -I disagree with the message behind it,, of course, one should always strive to be perfect... but it be a basic saying nonetheless in dwarven, uhm, education."
    Frandol whispers words too throaty even for dwarven tongue as he focuses his hand in line with the canvas smear, which soon begins to fade away. Frandol smiles in delight as his work is saved with only little to be redone.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2013-03-10 at 02:25 PM.

My Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #296

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Grad lowers his sword and slowly places it in its sheath, Evert watching for the gnomes moves. Once it, and the gnomes weapons are put away, he asks "So, any chance if us being able to talk now?", somewhat happy he didn't have to kill anything.

27. - Top - End - #297

Seeing you sheathe your blade, the glowing-eyed gnome shakes his head, "No, there isn't," He says in reply, his allies glancing at him for a moment. After what you can only guess is an assurance, he returns to common, "Just go, leave the forest. To the northwest is the quickest way out."

28. - Top - End - #298

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Grad shrugs once, then slowly backs away from the gnomes before turning around and walking away normally towards the caravan, Elestil's head at his hip. Looking down to the other greenskin as he walks, "So, what did you see and what the hell was that about?"

29. - Top - End - #299

Thurod grins toothily at Frandol's smile, "See, my Dwarven friend? Fixed, and with nary a blemish to be found. It will still become one of your many masterpieces, I am certain." The Half-Orc assures him, before looking around, "It has been some time for Grad and Elestil...I hope they are not injured..."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bite yer tongue and dust yer shoulders, fanged one."Frandol exclaimed in proverbs, trying to reassure his Orc-blooded friend. "It could not have been long since you sent them toward the horizon, do you really expect them to return so soon?
    "Have a touch of faith; Elestil is a goblin, and Grad is just as Orcish as you, I would presume, yes? between them two someone must be a good navigator, right?"
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2013-03-20 at 12:24 PM.

My Extended Signature