New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [Nexus] Temples of Dalachrech I

This thread covers the four Temples of Dalachrech, one in Inside, one in Riverside, one in Underside and the Hermitage in Outside.

Reformed Temple of Dalachrech- Inside
    Spoiler
    Show
    This building resembles most of the other terraced houses on this road, consisting of three floors, a small front garden, a front door and the same number of windows. However, unlike the other houses, the red front door has a knocker shaped like a two-tailed scorpion and also a sign post in the middle of the lawn. The sign is shaped as a two-tailed scorpion, and proudly states that this is the oldest Temple of Dalachrech in the Nexus, and home to the faithful in this city.

Attached Clergy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terrowin of Xela's Howe, the Twice Survivor, the Living Prophet, High Priest of Dalachrech and head of the congregation.
    Destur Spritesson, gnome cleric of Dalachrech.
    Jorje Hargonnen, human cleric of Dalachrech.
    Gertrude de la Moy, 1/16th giant human cleric of Dalachrech; holds a minor noble title (Madame).
    Lauretta, human cleric of Dalachrech
    Samantha, spectre Novitiate of Dalachrech

Orthodox Hermitage of Dalachrech- Outside
    Spoiler
    Show
    A vast door forged by a long-vanished race blocks the entrance to this old mine; the door is made of a mysterious, bronze-coloured metal that nobody knows how to make any more. The mine itself is in the side of a tall mountain, hidden in a cleft in the mountainside. Beyond the door is a large chamber decorated with dilapidated mining equipment, piles of rubble and old mine carts; passage further in appears to be blocked by a cave-in, but in fact that pile of rubble was engineered and there's a carefully concealed tunnel through it to deter explorers.

This location was chosen for its isolation. Please PM me before you turn up at the door.

Attached Clergy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elezibethele, elvish Head Priestess of Dalachrech and Mistress of the Hermitage.
    Azurelle D'Langley, aasimar Grand Mistress of the Order of the Centipede, a knightly order devoted to Dalachrech.
    Kail, human student of Dalachrech, aiming to join the Order of the Centipede rather than the clergy.

Middling Temple of Dalachrech- Riverside, Northside
    Spoiler
    Show
    A pair of semi-detached houses in Northside, with no major differences from the other houses along the road. The two houses have been made to appear dissimilar, to disguise the building's shared nature. The tiles don't match, a tall fence splits one garden from the other and so on.

This location has been carefully hidden; please contact me before entering it. It has been opened to the public.

Attached Clergy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Defelent A'dam, tiefling High Priest of Dalachrech.
    Omid Janni cleric of Dalachrech.
    Narahar half-elf cleric of Dalachrech, currently deceased.
    Cassidy, Ritter of Sznovf and member of NO, human cleric of Dalachrech. Played by Rotting Baron.

Chthonic Temple of Dalachrech- Underside
    Spoiler
    Show
    A selection of spider-silk cocoons tied to the ceiling of a large tunnel just outside the Undercity, to the West specifically. They are easy to spot; the structure is covered in glowing dog-sized beetles. There are two ways up, a silk rope ladder leading into one of the larger cocoons and a lift, consisting of a dried mushroom flesh platform attached to spider silk ropes. A bronze bell is nearby, likely to let those within the Temple know that somebody wants to use the lift. Beneath the Temple is a massive mosaic made of small tiles depicting a two-tailed scorpion, though there's no light to see it by.

Attached Clergy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charynrae Baeld'alachrech, drider High Priestess of Dalachrech
    Will, Rayaat'Tyr Novitiate of Dalachrech.

Ranks: Student (learning basics of religion and Abyssal, no secret rites known; addressed as Student), Novitiate (loyalty proven, learning how to channel their faith into spells and armed from the Temple Armoury; addressed as Novice), Cleric (written their personal prayer book, good at casting spells; addressed as Reverend), High Priest (communes directly with Dalachrech, capable of summoning demons, master of a Temple/Hermitage; addressed as High Priest/Your Holiness).

Branches of the Faith:
    Reformed: This branch of the Faith has been around the longest, and its High Priest is the progenitor of all the other branches. However, in order to adapt to the political climate of Inside, Terrowin surrendered the traditional practice of keeping Temple Slaves. Sapient sacrifice has not been practised here, though forced conversion has and the equipment used for that is still present and used for other things.
    Middling: This branch was originally founded in another city, however when that Town fell to the depredations of Deadtime Ooze, its clergy moved elsewhere. They keep Temple Slaves, traditionally illiterate and without tongues, though they don't practice sapient sacrifice to suit the tastes of the local population.
    Chthonic: This branch is the only one whose clergy has not ever owed fealty as clerics under Terrowin, and Charynrae converted to Dalachrechianism on her own. They practice slavery, but life in Underside is hard, so do not practice sapient sacrifice. The slaves kept here have not had their tongues removed, though their literacy has never been questioned.
    Orthodox: This branch is extremely secretive and cloistered, primarily practised by ettercaps, aranea, Falmer, thri-kreen and other creatures whose link to invertebrates is very primal. They practice slavery, though haven't muted their Temple Slaves, and are the only branch which offers sapients in the traditional manner- a brainbeetle larvae placed on the foot.
    Order of the Centipede: A holy order of warriors sworn to protect all Dalachrechians, regardless of their personal spiritual alignment. The Grand Mistress supports slavery; however this is a personal view and not that of the organisation as a whole. It is their duty to defend the clerics and temples from unbelievers, and to stay out of any factional squabbling between the other branches unless they are directly commanded by Dalachrech to intervene, in a vision that will be shared between all the paladins within to ascertain its authenticity. That vision is the Will of Dalachrech, and represents official doctrine on the conflict.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2012-11-22 at 06:18 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Temples of Dalachrech I

Quote Originally Posted by The Alexandrian View Post
    [Hermitage of Dalachrech - Elezibethele]

Spoiler
    Show
    Ouch! Pain! Pain! Each and every electrical shock delivered is accompanied by a "Dzzz!" noise which Mine produces as the electricity causes minor, violent muscular convulsions in his throat! The determined Mine will attempt to tug on the electrified chain periodically during the trip to the torture chamber. Eventually, however, they shall likely arrive.

This is bad.

Hermitage- Elezibethele

Spoiler
    Show
    When they arrive at the torture room, Elezibethele will chant a prayer in Abyssal. The hopeful result of the prayer is to cause Mine to collapse, asleep.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

[Hermitage of Dalachrech - Elezibethele]

Spoiler
    Show
    In that case, Mine collapses soon after the spell is uttered! He would find it strange that Elezibethele is rendering him unconscious for the purposes of this torture. Maybe she has to prepare for it or something? He doesn't know.

Mine doesn't at all look peaceful as he is knocked out. He didn't enjoy that, though that would appear to be the least of his problems now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Hermitage of Dalachrech

Spoiler
    Show
    Elezibethele will walk over to Mine and pick him up, carrying him to a wall-mounted wheel and fastening manacles to his wrists and ankles. Unless he resists, obviously; and if necessary, she'll magically increase her strength to lift him.

When & if he's chained to the wheel, Elezibethele will throw a bucket of water over his head to wake him up. There's a table nearby, with several nasty knives, spikes, and other implements upon it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

[Hermitage of Dalachrech]

Spoiler
    Show
    Mine won't resist Elezibethele's actions in part or as a whole. He cannot. He's unconscious! No magical strength should be required to lift Mine either. He's lean, even by elf standards. Unless Elezibethele is a feeble elf, and evidence points to an answer voiding that disclaimer, she'll have no trouble lugging Mine over to the wheel and chaining him to it.

Splash! Water drips down Mine's face as his eyelids snap open. His eyes flit about the room. He takes note of the knives, spikes, and other crude instruments of agony maximization spread before him.

He doesn't like this. He'll make Elezibethele pay for her violent, treacherous mannerisms with one, blunt, concise statement.

"You look better equipped and more willing to destroy your own than any human I've ever seen."

He defiantly mutters. Bet he'll change his tune right quick when those knives and spikes see action.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Hermitage of Dalachrech

Spoiler
    Show
    "But I won't kill you. Not deliberately, anyway, and I'm good enough that I don't kill by accident. Not in here, anyway." Elezibethele smiles, picks up one of the knives, and holds it steady as the other hand spins the wheel to which Mine is strapped. Mine will go into the path of the knife, and it's sharp enough that it won't be dislodged from Elezibethele's grip as she pulls the red curtain.

Each and every one of the implements on the table sees use, last of all a blunt knife which is used to cut out Mine's tongue.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been trying to figure out the best way to respond to that torture session, and I've finally come across something sufficient!

Ouch! OUCH!

Lots of screaming and disfigurement likely occurs throughout the unjustifiable punishment of Mine! He may faint a few times, but I'm sure that Elezibethele would only classify that as a minor setback and overcome it in a matter of seconds. Needless to say, I don't think Mine will be troubling Elezibethele the presumably blood-drenched elf anymore.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Hermitage of Dalachrech

Spoiler
    Show
    Elezibethele will try her hardest not to make Mine faint. If it takes a short break, she doesn't mind- if he's conscious, he's in pain. When it's over, Elezibethele will take a blue bottle from the rack of bottles in the corner and go over and try to force it down Mine's throat. It's a modified healing potion. It will heal all his wounds and prevent scarring, but it will keep the pain. So whilst Mine feels like he's just been tortured, he appears as though he's never been tortured before. It won't regrow his tongue, but it will heal the wound over with a minimum of scarring.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Mister Squiggles is with Justin when the group is ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Outside the Hermitage's Forest

Brand is here, wearing a collar and acting subservient. It's frightening to him how easy it is to fall back into that role. Back then, it was for the sake of his wife and children that he submitted, and followed orders. They hadn't even tried to personally break him. The threat to his loved ones had been enough.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside of Hermitage's Forest

Waterstrider is here as well, wearing little more than crude leather pants and slave collar. He's obviously afraid and feels more then a little sickened by what was happening.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2012-01-15 at 07:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Outside of the Hermitage's forest

Justin is here, presumably riding mister squiggles. So many things rush through his mind: all of the times he has fulfilled a similar mission, all of the ways he could have prepared better, all of the ways he could screw this up before getting to the door. He's wearing his "dress" clothes. A white shirt under a blue waistcoat with his signature 47 embroidered on the back just below the neck. His left sleeve is rolled up to allow him access to his Pipboy. Unlike the last time he wore this, his pants are not simply his vault jumpsuit with the upper half tied around his waist, but a pair of blue pants. He's also wearing one of the charm rings, Brand recieving its brother ring. He wears his colonial blaster on his hip, looking enough like a regular gun they won't suspect heavy duty plasma output. He offers his Laser Rifle to Waterstrider, just to wear as it would be strange for a master to be more heavily armed than his bodyguard. It actually is quite obviously a laser weapon, which will keep eyes on Waterstrider. He still wears his very well traveled duffle bag filled to the brim with several seemingly useless items. He also constantly feels for the collars remote, tucked inside his inner coat pocket.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Outside the Forest of the Hermitage

Before them lies a dense pine woodland, the floor free of undergrowth and leaflitter due to the thick canopy of the evergreen trees stopping sunlight from reaching the ground. There's a fair distance between the trees, however, so besides the dark there's little to slow any journeys beneath its boughs, even with carts and wagons. There's a faint wagon-trail, and it seems to be at the point where the forest's edge is closest to the Hermitage, judging by the size of the grim stone fortress towering over the surrounding trees. There is plenty of materials for torches, however; it's wintry and cold, so the wood of the trees is dry and flammable, lacking the wet sap to prevent any blaze from catching. There's also a fair amount of ethereal-appearing thin white scraps of material, feeling like silk, draped on the lower branches of the trees.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Brand is riding Mister Squiggles as well, sitting behind Justin. Please let it work. Please let it be possible to free the slaves. Please let me return safely to my family... goes through his mind, as they grow closer to the Hermitage.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Mister Squiggles walks along, degraded to some sort of mount. Cause Ilpholin never did that before.

He does eye the silk material and wonder if it's webbing or even actual silk.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-01-18 at 11:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Waterstrider tries to calm his fear about what's happening. He sniffs the air for any particular scents to pass the time and to try and keep his nerves steady.

17. - Top - End - #17

Giant spiderwebs. Couldn't be anything else. Justin was told to watchout for giant bugs. Of course he would have to deal with giant spiders. It's not like this is new to him. Hopefully he has an ace up his sleeve.

Breaking the silence, if only with a whisper, he leans down to Mister Squiggles head to speak. "Hey Squiggs? If we run into any other giant spiders, you can talk them out of... well, we all know what spiders do to things smaller than themselves. So, that?"

My Characters

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Mister Squiggles chitters. No doubt laughing. Why on earth would he do that?

Either that, or he said sure, no problem. Though still with a little laughter.

He continues on the path to the Hermitage. Chitter chitter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

The Forest Around the Hermitage

The material is indeed silk webbing, both caterpillar and spider silk.

Waterstrider can smell rotting flesh, decaying wood, the musty smell of old attics, silk, spiders and something else, something strange. It's the smell of ettercap, in case Waterstrider has smelt one before.

A nearby tree is rustling quite a bit, too much to be just the wind or a small mammal. There's no birdsong, and no sign of birds, mammals or reptiles besides the locals.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The Forest Around the Hermitage

Drats. That means no snacks.

Oh well.

Mister Squiggles continues to walk them down the path cheerfully. Hopefully they'll get there soon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

21. - Top - End - #21

Forest around the Hermitage

"Good to hear, Squiggs," Justin says as he pats the riding spider. Seems he's assuming that was positive chittering.

Then rustling happens. He keeps his eyes on the tree as his hand goes to the blaster pistol on his hip. The click of him pulling back the hammer probably can't be heard above the tree. Mr. Squiggles doesn't seem worried by it but Justin keeps his eyes on it as they pass.

My Characters

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Forest Around the Hermitage

"Maybe if we go around it... by a wide berth?" Brand says hopefully. He does not want to encounter whatever is making the rustling noise.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Waterstrider nearly reaches to squeeze Brand's shoulder gently to reassure her, but refrains from doing so in case anyone was watching. "We'll be fine Brand. Nothing bad will happen." He swears to the Halfling quietly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Forest Around The Hermitage

The rustling suddenly stops as something drops from the canopy and onto the ground in front of the group. It's two metres tall, with four long, lanky limbs and a bloated body. Its head is horse-like, with four pairs of beady black eyes and arachnid mandibles. "Greetingks, travellers. Do you have buszinesz with High Priestess Elezibethele, Mistress of the Hermitage of Dalachrech or Grand Mistress Azurelle, head of the Order of the Centipede? And, equally important, are they expectingk you?" The ettercap's voice is chittery and gutteral.

25. - Top - End - #25

Forest around the Hermitage

Alright, go time. Succeed here and the mission is on it's way to success. Fail, and likely end up eaten by giant bugs.

"Greetings," Justin begins, removing his hand from his gun. "I am Justin Mine. My men and I are travellers, as you say, but I'm afraid we have no business with the... Hermitage, you say? This meeting may be quite fortuitous. Night falls quickly in the forest. Would it be out of the question to request a night of lodging? Is such the way of your church?"

My Characters

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

It isn't difficult for Brand to play the part of a nervous halfling who is startled by the sudden appearance of the talking monster and quavering in terror. Not difficult at all.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Temple of Dalachrech

"No, of course not. I would have sold him to a butcher's in the city." They would have killed him, and turned him into a profit. Via a large sausage-making machine.

The one time this has happened so far the person was released. However, she was undead and it's easier to block the memory of a failed undead applicant than figuring out how to kill them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Alexandrian View Post
    [Temple of Dalachrech]

Augh! That's terrible! Grinding up people into sausage to sell to other people! Even Clarissa wouldn't do that, and she's a crazy monster thing! Heck, I doubt even Cal would pull something like that! That's magnitudes of eww and gross and blech and yuck and...

I need brain bleach! I'll never eat sausage again! And neither will One! Never again!

One begins to feel nauseous! Oh her gods that's disgusting and vile! She doesn't like it! Not one bit! Hopefully, she won't start to retch. That'd make this even worse!

I think it is safe to say that One's questions pertaining to this ritual have concluded. She honestly doesn't wish to know anything more about it.

[Underside Temple]

Will simply shrugs.

"That depends. The table was lacking a tail restraint, and it's not impossible that I could have killed you before you could paralyze me again, especially if I had been informed of failing it."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Temple of Dalachrech

"Had you killed me, you would not have been able to escape the Temple alive. My death activates a spell which enrages the spiders I breed, encouraging them to rush throughout the Temple and kill everything they find until the noise stops." Charynrae is actually slightly worried about the fact that Will said he could kill her.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

((Was the scene with Despair primarily rped in the newest incarnation of the Riverside thread? I seem to be unable to track it down.))

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm of the unyielding belief that whatever foul concoction Elezibethele forced down Mine's throat could hardly be classified as a healing potion. If it prolongs the pain, then it isn't truly healing anyone.

Sad thing is that it is still far superior to being one of Azurelle's slaves.

Those poor girls don't stand so much as a chance against being utterly destroyed mentally and physically.

Mine can't glare at Elezibethele. Not after what she's done. She's really done a number on him. He's was in no condition to do anything more advanced than sit in one spot and suffer. While he may no longer physically be reduced to that weak state, he remains there mentally.

"Healing" of Mine's physical wounds occurs. Much "healing". All the while, the bound Mine dangles from the wheel to which he has been tethered, bleary eyes pointed at the lowly ground.

[Temple of Dalachrech]

One really didn't need to know that if her mistress dies, she'll die alongside her. It frightens her and makes her wish that she were a true healer. She's not selfless. In reality, she's imbued with more than her fair share of drive for self-preservation.

"Um..."

"That's alarming, Reverend Mistress."

One is now afraid that some "hero" is going to spring out of the woodworks, assassinate Charynrae, and indirectly eliminate her through that act.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Mister Squiggles waits quietly. He has no reason to speak any time soon unless things start looking unfriendly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast