Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Something Wicked this way Comes...

Definitely clearer, thanks for the awesome background info.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys,

I'm really sorry about my absence over the last few days. I just got back from a really intense work tour, and it left me pretty wrecked. I'm starting to get back to normal, however, and will hopefully have a post up for you tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for your patience, and I hope life is treating you both well.

Cheers,

X

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I completely understand.

Dice on the other hand is not so nice.
    From Splendor to Shadow DM:Monodominant
    Tra'vin IC Thread OOC Thread
    Hollow's Last Hope
    Norril Cupsigh IC Thread OOC Thread

4. - Top - End - #34

Zombie

lies, all lies ! I was thinking you were busy with Sandy !

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah!

Who's Sandy?

In anycase, I finally posted IC. There's a fair bit to chew on there, so feel free to ask me to clarify stuff if you need me to.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The dog in Annie?

No. No. That's right. A huge storm that has closed most of the eastern U.S.
    Hollow's Last Hope

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh right, that Sandy.

No, thankfully I am against the opposite ocean, where hurricanes don't happen.

(Though doubtless now that I've said that, we'll get one).

8. - Top - End - #38

Zombie

I've gotta say, I'm really digging the detailwork you did on the world...and this fight looks to be EPIC :D

Also, thanks for proving me right. Barthac was convinced the fort was alongside the road. Couldn't be swayed to my side...but it was I who was right in the end. MUHAHAHAHA

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, thanks. Epic is what we're going for.

To be perfectly honest, this is actually a spin off of a campaign I've been running for just over a year now. That's where most of the backround is coming from. World events were expanding beyond the scope of a single party, however, and so I figured I'd start a new one.

As of now, there are three parties operating along side each other in this world, and your actions will doubtless impact all the others. Depending on how things go, you may even encounter each other eventually.

As for the location of the castle, if you take a look at your map, you will note that Citadel sits directly at the base of the Ancient's Way. ;-)

You know, I should really also look at the map before I make fun of people for not looking at it. :-P

While Citadel sits at the base, The 'Way doesn't run directly North and South, as I depicted it in the castle map, so some debate as to the Wall's actual position is entirely legitimate... It does run straight, however, so really the castle orientation is the same, so we'll say the map is angled for easy legibility...

That was totally the plan, all along.

Yep, it was.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-01 at 02:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a few notes on typical Dwarven battle tactics that won't apply much to you, but are still common knowledge with regards to your Hammar Company:

Dwarves will typically wield the Dwarven Urgosh as both pike & halberd from behind locked shields in tight phalanx formations, with ranks dropping these weapons for warhammers or axes upon close quarters combat. Clerics & Rune Casters bolster the ranks, probably all equally armored. Casters are either crafters (mostly making items/using staves & wands to avoid arcane failure) or all learn the still spell feat, meaning they cast just fine in full plate.

Therefore, there is no obvious difference in targets, & no soft targets at all.

From behind the main lines cannons firing grapeshot or explosives lay waste to the enemy, compounded with heavy crossbow volleys.

The dwarves fight logically, pulling back but never breaking, pushing forward but never charging.

Your men are outfitted more for policing than battlefield ranks, so you are (obviously) without heavy artillery and explosives. Otherwise, they are fully prepared to lock shields and do battle.

11. - Top - End - #41

Zombie

I got 5 alch fire and 5 acid flasks if you want to chuck those Barthac, since I think you forgot to buy fire again.

Would've thought you'd remember after that mess with the swarm in the other game :P

12. - Top - End - #42

Zombie

Also...Cannons, now that you've mentioned those. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to get Sid to carry one around. Nothing says awesome like an earth elemental with a fuggin cannon full of grapeshot !.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, I figured one of you would say that.

Here's some stats:

The smaller cannons weigh between a thousand and fifteen hundred pounds, and fire a six pound shot. (grape shot is most common, but other ammunition types, such as ball or bomb shots, are available).

Firing the cannon accellerates the shot at roughly 1500ft/second, and produces a recoil force of around 3000 pounds.

So if you want to fire one of these from the hip, you'll need a strength upwards of 40 in order to not be squashed into jelly by the recoil.

All that being said, it's totally within the realm of possibility.

Larger models are also available, firing shots weighing 12, 24, and 42 pounds, with proportionate increases in weight and recoil. The increase in muzzle velocity is not as significant, but the increased devestation caused by the higher mass projectiles is.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-02 at 07:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I misread the encumbrance charts. It looks like you'll only need a Strength of 35 to be able to soak the recoil.

Less than that, you'll still be able to fire it, but you'll be taking [fairly significant] damage from the recoil.

Recoil damage will be measured as damage from a falling object, with a weight of 3000lbs (for the above model) falling a number of feet equal to 35(or the minimum strength required to lift the weight) minus your Strength.

So if Sid, with his (I believe) 21 Strength, fires off one of these, he will take 15d6 damage from the recoil.

(1d6/200lbs per 10 ft, so 3000lbs=15d6, falling 14ft.)

If Tim the fighter, Str 15, tries to shoot it, he'll take 30d6 damage (15d6 x2 for falling 20ft)

Damage Reduction shall apply.

Does that make any sense to anyone besides me?

15. - Top - End - #45

Zombie

Indeed, makes sense to me.

I was initially thinking at least at lvl 10 Sid would reasonably be able to use it, being large and having quite a bit more strength.

Even then Enlarge person and a bulls strength might pull it off as well (not on Sid, but on an average soldier. Carrying the gun and supplies in a Bag of holding perhaps.

Also are these mystical powered cannon ? or is it actual Gunpowder ?

If it is Gunpowder I'd guess it's craft alchemy...and how much does that cost per pound ?

Some of us REALLY like explosions :D

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Could always shape Sid into a cannon!
    Hollow's Last Hope

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, his shape won't help him soak the damage. If he were an Iron Golem it might help, but... He's not.

FYI, I'm working on your IC post, and I love it when player's throw me curve balls, but Damn.

Taalkar jumping onto the Siege tower alters the scene in a way I hadn't foreseen, so big props to Barthac there.

I'll have a real IC post up tomorrow.

With regards to the cannons, most cannons are simply gunpowder and Iron. (Gunpowder is Alchemy DC 22 to create). It takes 1lb of powder to fire a 6 pound shot.) Gunpowder costs 50gp per pound.

Hybrid models, involving both mechanics and magics are available, but are typically significantly larger.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-05 at 07:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit of a delay, I'm afraid.

I'm on a road trip for the next two days, and didn't have time to work up a decent post for you guys today. I'll try to get one up tomorrow, but it may not happen untill the next day.

Apologies, and thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

X

19. - Top - End - #49

Zombie

no worries dude, thanks for the heads up though

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys,

I've finally posted IC. Sorry again for the delay.

I'm afraid I don't have an updated map for you, but not much has changed, so it shouldn't matter too much.

The Western wall, towards the gate, has taken losses, and is in some trouble.

The Eastern wall is still holding it's own for the moment.

Go ahead and take your actions, and I'll have an updated map tomorrow.

Cheers,

X

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Any chance I can get a little more description on the siege towers. I take it I am on the roof and the drawbridge is on a lower level with guys waiting to cross onto the battlements.

Specifically, when I get control of the roof is there anything I can even do to disable it?
    Hollow's Last Hope

22. - Top - End - #52

Zombie

I too have a question, is that Barb Druid on top of that other tower ? it looks like you changed one of the B's to a D.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

For LordDice: Yes, that's correct. A DC 18 Spellcraft check will allow you to know that he's casting 'Call Lightning', and that the already stormy weather conditions are making the spell significantly more potent. (3d10 damage if you get hit.)

For Barthac:
    You are also correct. The towers stand 70 feet tall, and are fully enclosed. the four barbarians on the roof were archers taking potshots at the wall during the tower's approach.

From the roof, there isn't alot that can be done to stop the tower.

Here's what it looks like:
    Spoiler
    Show

The towers are being pulled by teams of four giants at their base.

Interestingly enough, the tower doesn't seem to be constructed of boards... Rather large, whole sections of natural wood that seem to have been grown into the proper shapes, and then been fitted togather in but a few pieces.

On some level, you think the trees might even still be alive...

To stop a tower... (spoiler alert! don't read if you want to come up with your own methods. These are just a few that could feasibly work.)

Spoiler
    Show

Killing the giant's pulling it would bring it to a halt for a good long while while the surrounding small folk rallied to try to push it forwards.

Cutting the ropes giants are pulling with would slow them some, untill the repositioned behind it to push.

Being made of wood they burn pretty well, as Karazi demonstrated with his Flaming Sphere. However, even with such ignition, it takes about a minute for the inferno to get going well enough that the barbs would abandon it.

Disabling the drawbridge would go a long way towards damaging it's effectiveness, forcing the barbarians within to make a jump check to get to the wall, rather than simply charging forth... It would also likely trap a good number of them like fish in a barrel to be picked off by friendly archers.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

For LordDice: Yes, that's correct. A DC 18 Spellcraft check will allow you to know that he's casting 'Call Lightning', and that the already stormy weather conditions are making the spell significantly more potent. (3d10 damage if you get hit.)

For Barthac:
    You are also correct. The towers stand 70 feet tall, and are fully enclosed. the four barbarians on the roof were archers taking potshots at the wall during the tower's approach.

From the roof, there isn't alot that can be done to stop the tower.

Here's what it looks like:
    Spoiler
    Show

The towers are being pulled by teams of four giants at their base.

Interestingly enough, the tower doesn't seem to be constructed of boards... Rather it is made of large, whole sections of natural wood that seem to have been grown into the proper shapes, and then been fitted togather in but a few pieces.

On some level, you think the trees might even still be alive...

To stop a tower... (spoiler alert! don't read if you want to come up with your own methods. These are just a few that could feasibly work.)

Spoiler
    Show

Killing the giant's pulling it would bring it to a halt for a good long while while the surrounding small folk rallied to try to push it forwards.

Cutting the ropes giants are pulling with would slow them some, untill the repositioned behind it to push.

Being made of wood they burn pretty well, as Karazi demonstrated with his Flaming Sphere. However, even with such ignition, it takes about a minute for the inferno to get going well enough that the barbs would abandon it.

Disabling the drawbridge would go a long way towards damaging it's effectiveness, forcing the barbarians within to make a jump check to get to the wall, rather than simply charging forth... It would also likely trap a good number of them like fish in a barrel to be picked off by friendly archers.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-11 at 01:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Zombie

Well with Karazi's distinct lack of knowledge in the area of spellcasting.. I'll just have to assume he's conducting a band or something with his stick-waving.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Barthac, I've been waiting for you, but it just occurs to me that you might be waiting for me to post the Eagle results before you act...

I have just done so. It's all you baby.

27. - Top - End - #57

Zombie

Woo, go Eagle dude ! I didn't expect that to work well at all :D

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I figured a Giant Eagle wouldn't so much ever just scratch a something with its talons when it could pick them up like a rabbit and drop them from the dizzying hights... They do get a +12 to grapple checks, after all.

A note on how I'm working grapple rules:

In the event of a grappling attack, make an attack as normal. If the attack hits, deal normal damage for the type of attack, and the grapple is initiated.

The target then makes a grapple resistance roll, DC=attacker's attack roll.

If he succeeds, he manages to wriggle free, and the grapple ends. If he fails, the attacker clamps down, and all secondary effects (such as additional damage, or being carried off a cliff) occur immediately.

In the next round, if the attacker wants to maintain the grapple, he makes another roll to set the resistance DC. This roll doesn't need to defeat the target's AC, as the target is already grappled. However a low roll will make t easier for the target to escape.

29. - Top - End - #59

Zombie

So it's kind of like free improved grab then, in a way. I presume that'll work for natural attacks automatically ? but not for a normal weapon I'd guess.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes and yes. In the future, state you want to initiate the grapple, and roll the secondary effects immediately, to take effect should the resistance roll fail.

I'll need to re-write the grappling feats if either of you are interested in taking them. Probably they'll provide significant bonuses to your rolls, or secondary effects(like extra damage, or crippled limbs, or somesuch)... I just found the having to make a ton of extra contested rolls just to grab someone's wrist overly cumbersome. This way either it works or it doesn't with a single set of rolls each round.

Attacking while grappled shall work as written... I think... It hasn't ever actually come up, so I may need to read it better and revise the rules to fit this ruling, if it doesn't work the way I want it to. As I understand it, you just take a -4 penalty to your attack roll, and forgo your escape attempt.

Also, sorry for the delay in the IC post, I'm working on getting it to sound right. I should have it up later today.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 2012-11-14 at 03:56 PM.