New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dungeon One-Beta Team-IC

You have been hired by a mysterious organization known as the Order of Light. Not much is known about the Order, but it is rumored to be filled with paladins and clerics of Pelor.

You have been sent into the Lamari Wylds. It is long known that at the heart of the wylds lives a mighty green dragon Chropsis. However the order has it on fact that green dragon has left its lair and traveled across the sea to attend an ancient gathering of dragons. Such meetings are rumored to happen once every thousand years, and dragons of all kinds rarely turn such opportunity to attend. However the order recognizes a opportunity as well.

The order has given you a adamant buckler. Your job is to take it into the dragon’s lair, and swap it with one that is supposedly in the hoard of Chropsis. However the entrance to the lair is supposedly heavily trapped, and understands that you do not have the skills to bypass the traps. Thankfully their researchers have uncovered information that a kobold cave possesses a secret back door into the dragon’s lair. Your mission is to navigate your way through the Lamari wylds, battle your way through the kobold cave, sneak into the dragon’s lair and swap the bucklers before Chropsis returns. They don’t know how long the dragon will be gone, but they don’t estimate that it will be long.

The order has provided a map. To successfully navigate your way there in the fastest possible route requires a DC 15 survival or Knowledge (geography) check. Only one character can make this check. One character may assist, but a failed aid another check will result in a –2 rather than a +2.

Spoiler
    Show
    In your first post, please include a description of your character for ease of your team mates

The thread for rolling dice can be found here

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon One-Beta Team-IC

Valira Avadur

A young--well, young-looking--elf takes the map from the grey-clad stranger and spreads it on the table for her newfound companions. With an elegant gesture, more befitting a ballroom gown than her heavy leather glove, she points to it as she speaks. "So we're in the village here?" She glances back, fixing her ice-blue eyes on the assumed cleric.

Her short stature inadequate to reach across the table, she stands, stretching to point at the other side. "And the kobold lair lies here? How many days from here, would you say?"

Looking up and brushing her long platinum-blonde hair back from her delicate features, she looks at her companions with a relieved smile at having found allies so easily in this strange human land. "Shall we depart at first light on the morrow?"

Spoiler
    Show
    At a glance, Valira's +2 Intelligence gives her the best shot at orienteering, right? If so, would Lucas like to assist?
    Last edited by Ellisande; 2012-09-23 at 01:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Lucas Albright

The man clad in black studded leather leaned over the map as well, his expression inquisitive. His dark brown eyes poured over the map carefully, taking in every detail. Finally, after studying it for some time, he looked up at his companions, putting a hand in his dark brown hair, tussling it a bit. He gave everyone a sheepish grin.

"Sorry guys. I'm terrible with maps. Any of the rest of you know a good route?" He turned to Valira. "I'm all up for leaving in the morning, though."
    Last edited by Astro_sol; 2012-09-23 at 04:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Alten Pendleton

Alten takes a small hop from his stool onto the table, crouching down to examine the map. "I thought we were here. Wait, that's not a town, it's a stain. ...Which way is north on this?"

He stands up, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm less sure of where I am now then I was before I looked at this thing. This is not a flattering display."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Isark

Isark appears to be a tall strong human at first glance but when you look more closely his bright blue eyes and hair show that he is not quite a normal human. He wears a chain shirt and holds a large shield on his back. Around his mouth is blue green magic and on his hands are silver blue vambraces.

He looks at the map and says I don't do thinking. not my job. I kill the evils.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isark will assist Valiria in reading the map.

6. - Top - End - #6

Valira Avadur

Valira didn't know whether to be comforted or concerned that her lowland companions didn't have a handle on the map either. "Well, I'm sure it will make sense as we get closer. We'll undoubtedly notice this funny looking tree on the way." She points at a random splotch on the parchment. "Still, it couldn't hurt to have a local guide, if we can find one tonight."

She glances around the pub, looking for someone with... well, she doesn't actually know what a good guide would look like. Perhaps someone smelly and hairy? Er... particularly smelly and hairy, given the hygiene habits in these human lands?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Alten

"Well, let's check the streets. If we end up spending any money on anyone, we can bill the Order for it later." Alten rolls up the map and hops down to the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information comes up:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatwizard View Post
    (1d20+4)[12]
    Blech, what an unimpressive roll. Someone help me out, here.

e: The price for getting distracted is the DM posts while you're fiddling with the formatting.

e2: It keeps happening
    Last edited by Heatwizard; 2012-09-24 at 01:40 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

After asking around, the party finds themselves sitting in bar, listening to a old man with one eye who smells like fish. "You'll never find yourself a guide into those wilds, BECAUSE THEY'RE CURSED!!! Cursed I say! No one who goes in ever comes out!" He crys, shaking his hook hand at you while holding a large pint in the other hand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously guys, somebody just make the roll. It's not the end of the world if you fail it. Even if you have a +0 modifier you still have a 25% chance of success.

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Lucas Albright

Lucas didn't listen to the crazed man. Instead, he watched over the map intently. He spotted what he was sure was the right way.

"Guys," he said, pointing at the map. "And gal. This is the best route. I'm positive."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm also very aware of that 3, but that's what we get for waiting.

11. - Top - End - #11

Valira Avadur

The human sounded confident, which was more than Valira felt. She nodded, figuring to follow his lead on the morrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry! I figured I would roll the map roll in the morning, after we actually set out (and needed to decipher the map). I wasn't actually trying to avoid it, I didn't think the moment had come.

I'd like to buy a couple torches for the caves, but other than that, Valira's ready to roll.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Isark

Isark stands and says Tomorrow we will rid the world of these evil kobalds. He then leaves to sleep and prepare for the next day.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isark shapes Astral Vambraces and Lightning Gauntlets (with expanded soulmeld capacity) when he sleeps.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Alten

Perhaps all these zig-zags were just crazy enough to work; Alten didn't have any better ideas, and it was growing too late to second-guess regardless. He retired to an actual bed that he made sure not to take for granted in face of the next few days' hike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't believe I have any prepping to do. Spontaneous caster, got my rope...

14. - Top - End - #14

Daemon

Lucas Albright

Lucas, feeling confident in his luck and skills, went to sleep as soon as he could, but not before buying some rations and filling his waterskin. He had to keep up his sleep so wrinkles wouldn't form.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can shoot energy beams. Buying a week's worth of food if I can. I'm good.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

With everyone struggling with the map & planning a route, an area of expertise no one seems to have, Lucas decides to take over and just get it done for better or worse. You set out in the morning and the journey takes four days to get there. The wilds are thick with vegetation, hot with humidity, and muddy as heck.

I need spot checks from everyone as they approach the cave. All final choices on characters need to be done now.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

Lucas Albright

Thanks goodness he'd thought to bring food; Lucas wouldn't have been able to forage for berries if he hadn't brought his own supplies. He refused to lay down on the dirt and grass; he couldn't stand being filthy.

All the while, though, he kept out a watchful eye for anything suspicious.

17. - Top - End - #17

Valira Avadur

Her mind on her sore legs and grumbling stomach rather than her surroundings, Valira trudges with her companions towards the cave.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

It is dusk, and the end of the fourth day. Trekking through the wilds has been hard, as the vegetation is thick, the temperature humid, and the terrain very muddy.

Alten's keen eyes are able to spot the fire from a good distance away. There are two kobolds standing next to a fire, taking watch. Not far from them is a mouth of a cave going diagonally into the ground. All around the cave grows a thick brush of vines and moss. Surround the area of the fire, it appears the vegetation has been cut away and the ground scorched so that nothing grows. Between the dead earth and the party there are plenty of trees and brush for you to take cover and hide.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since someone made a successful spot check, you may position yourselves anywhere on the map at least 30 ft of the clearing. The light green is difficult terrain. The dark green is a tree or thick vegetation.
    Map
    Please let me know if you can't place yourselves on the map
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2012-09-28 at 05:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Daemon

Lucas Albright

Lucas did his best to sneak forward until he reached a spot that was directly opposite the cave entrance and the clearing. He got behind the thick brush as he brought up his right fist, which was glowing slightly with raw eldritch power.

There were soon going to be some dead kobolds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna make move silently and hide checks in the Dice thread. It's probably gonna suck.

EDIT: they did not, in fact, suck.
    Last edited by Astro_sol; 2012-09-28 at 12:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Valira Avadur

Crouched low in the grass, Valira observed the squat reptilians for a moment. They hardly seemed menacing. But still, they were enemies, and she had learned they were even less civilized than her human companions. And her compatriots certainly weren't delaying in their attacks.

She could feel the adrenaline rise through her veins. There were just two of them--surely the party would be safe, right? Following Lucas' lead, she nocks an arrow to her shortbow. "I'll go left, and take that one..." she whispered to her companions before moving through the thick grass toward the clearing.

Spoiler
    Show
    She figures on moving a few squares forward and getting a sneak attack on K3 as the others attack. If I understand right, no move silently roll is required?

Also, I will be miles from an internet connection Saturday and Sunday (US time), so don't expect a post from me for most of the weekend. Feel free to roll/move for me if you need to keep the game moving.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Isark

Isark moves swiftly closer to the kobalds and prepares the ambush. He turns to his alies and says I will block their escape into the cave, but lets try to kill them before they can shout for help. His right hand glows with blue sparks as he prepares to charge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isark will start in G1 holding his shield but not his morning star

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just waiting on a position for Alten and everybody can start doing stuff

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, sorry! I'm set down in F6; I'll snipe from back here, if they charge us I can switch to touch attacks.

Alten

Alten follows Valira's route up, setting up his own arrow. He mutters, "You get the close one, I'll get the far one?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

If you like, you can start sneaking around now.
    Or
    If everyone just wants to just start attacking, then everyone gets a surprise round action.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Isark

Isark jumps out of the forest and begins to charge the kobolds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isark will take his surprise round to move to J2. He has 2 essentia in his lightning gauntlets and 1 essentia in his Astral Vambraces.

26. - Top - End - #26

Daemon

Lucas Albright

Lucas nodded to himself, then came out from behind the vegetation he'd hidden behind and began to move forward until he came close enough to the Kobold on the left to feel confident. Then he let loose a crackling blast of energy from his palm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lucas is going to make a standard move action (not bothering to move silently), then another for his regular round to move to M17, and take a standard action to shoot an eldritch blast. He's shooting at K3.

Edit: it's looking like this is gonna suck.

EDIT EDIT: Lucas is just going to move for his surprise action.
    Last edited by Astro_sol; 2012-09-30 at 07:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

1) Surprise round actions only give you 1 action, so you can only take a standard or a move.

2) Don't forget the light green is difficult terrain. Movement costs double, and you can't 5 ft step.

3) If you move, you can't take a 5 ft step.

4) For future reference: You can hide after an attack as part of a move action, but you take a -20 to the hide check.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Alten

Alten hauls his arrow back, and looses it across the clearing, behind the back of one kobold toward another.

Spoiler
    Show
    Twelve to hit K8. I don't think that'll cut it.

29. - Top - End - #29

Valira Avadur

Sweat drips off the palms of Valira's hands as her uncertainty mounts. But before she thinks the better of the ambush, Alten fires, and no choice is left. Taking a swift step forward, Valira rises and looses her shaft toward the nearest Kobold.

Spoiler
    Show
    By my count, a 5-foot step gets her exactly 30' from K3, so sneak attack would apply? (If not... well, I guess her inexperience shows.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I said it above, and I will say it again for those that didn't catch it. The light green squares are difficult terrain. On difficult terrain you cannot make 5ft steps, nor can you charge. Movement costs are doubled.

Character's movements have been modified to reflect this.

The Team breaks the cover with Lucas and Isark moving in to melee as fast as they can. Meanwhile Alten and Valira hand back, giving cover fire. Alten's shot hits K8 in the chest, but lacked the strength it need and bounces off the kobold's studded leather armor. Meanwhile Valira's hits in about the same location, and punches through the armor. The kobold (K3) staggers for a moment, looking around and trying to understand what's happening.

Initiative Order

Lucas
    Kobolds (except K8)
    Alten
    Valira
    K8
    Isark
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2012-10-01 at 11:45 AM.