New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

@Tarith: "The keys were magically fashioned by Steiner. I have my own and his. I can show you the entrance to the vault, but without the key, I doubt you could have a way of opening it."

Jacob leads you outside and towards the temple. The night sky is dimly lit by the fireflies diving in and out of the rose lane.

"Let's take a walk behind the temple."

Jacob guides you to the back of the building. There, you see a circular fountain. Arranged at the north, west and east, forming an invisible rectangle, you see smaller statues from the three guardians seen outside. All of them seem to be missing something, as compared to their larger versions in the town proper.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"I am not so sure of that. How could a lich use her power? However, if you meant force her to remember, to become the person she was, and control her then, you might have a point."
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #1113

GreenSorcererElf

Following Jacob

"At a guess, you would place the items with the correct person, and then the vault, which is underground, opens. How does it recognize the right item? Magic?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Indeed. The statues resonate to the items placed on their hands. Steine's lute. My bow, and Balion's scythe. Not the original items, of course. Copies made of the same material as the statues and which register when all three are placed. When such an event triggers, the vault will open. Giving us access to the Room of Stars."

5. - Top - End - #1115

GreenSorcererElf

"And the vault is directly below us? How far down is the entrance, or is it a portal to somewhere else? Do you have any more of the material the statues were made of, to see if we can use that to activate the vault?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Steiner designed the vault. It's not very big, but it does lead below ground. I would reckon about 200ft. of stairs. Then, there is a long tunnel which runs for 100ft. Halfway through it, there is an adjacent room where the old smithy lies. At the end of the tunnel is the Room of Stars."

Jacob tugs gently at his beard in thought.

"The material is magic infused stone, using alchemical properties and whatnot. Steiner knew how to work those. He did mention that it would be designed in a way to impede even magical scrying or access. The process is lost. If he recorded it, he must've taken it with him during his travels. If someone would want access to the vault, you'd need the last key- in this case, Balion's scythe replica. Knowing Balion, he would've taken it to his home or placed it in one of the sacred landmarks."

Jacob looks at you with puzzlement.

"But then again, why would you want the vault opened?"

7. - Top - End - #1117

GreenSorcererElf

"Curiosity. There is a vault, and they do end to be interesting. Do we have Steiner's key? It should be relatively simple to find the scythe, using the right magic."

Tarith casts detect magic, and looks around the area, being sure to spend 3 rounds examining each statue, as well as identifying the cog wand.

Spoiler
    Show

I am assuming the vault is protected by plotanium, and is thus, unbreachable.
    Even gate, incoporeal, and adamantium will fail.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Yes. I do keep my key and Steiner's at home, but without Balion's, the vault remains sealed."

You focus your eyes on the three statues. Similar to the larger ones outside, there is transmutation magic involved in their construction. You then turn your gaze to the wand with a cog etched on it. Under close magical scrutiny. You watch the cog emblem split in two, just to be sealed again, and split anew. A fancy trademark by whoever crafted the wand.

This is a wand designed to strike constructs in areas where normally, they would incur no further damage. It has 40 charges left.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Plotanium? It took me awhile, but I laughed hard at that one!

9. - Top - End - #1119

GreenSorcererElf

"All right then. Well, I might as well try to see if I can figure out another way to activate Balion's key"

Spoiler
    Show

So, search of 40, disable device of 42, open lock of 35, umd of (1d20+21)[32]
    can Tarith bypass the key needed?

As far as plotanium goes, in another campaign, we found some full plate that granted immunity to dragons, which was handy, since we needed to bring down a mature adult white dragon with 3 level 6 Tier 3 characters, so we called it the armor of plotanium. We later turned it into a flying submarine(no, don't ask why. You really don't want to know)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You search around. A mechanism, a switch, anything. You do find that the statues have indentation son their hands. Cylindrical fro the Jacob and Balion statue, rectangular for the Steiner statue. You recall the words Jacob uttered, about Balion hiding his key.

Knowing Balion, he would've taken it to his home or placed it in one of the sacred landmarks.

There was, as you recall, a treasure swallowed in the Rose Garden...

11. - Top - End - #1121

GreenSorcererElf

"I have an idea where Balion's key is, but I think we would need Aurellie's help to get it. There was a magical item in the rose garden, but I was unable to get it before the garden imploded. Getting in and out would be rather... difficult, but it might be vaguely possible without her. Still, we should return to the others, as their help will be needed to get it."

Tarith starts heading back to the house.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Have a safe night, guys." Jacob watches you walk away and looks at the fountain, with its calm waters rippling at his feet.

I hope Balion hid it well, for all our sakes...

Meanwhile, at the Ward...

An elf with grey hair and black noble attire walks down the dark hallways. His attention focused on notes. He nearly bumps into a great doorway before pushing it aside and walking in.

The room is vast with a large white oval table and a two glasses of wine set on it. A large fireplace provides ample illumination, creating strak shadows between all the creatures and elements in the chamber. Sitting down, with her boots on the table, Nerine plays with the glass, swirling it contents and testing how high they'll go before they leave the rim. A red skinned humanoid with large devilish horns and wearing an ornate breastplate and a cape sits with his elbows on the table. His face is covered by his claws as the shadow cast by the glass begins to appear empty. The glass, mimicking its shadows, begins to empty as well.

"Nerine, take your feet off the table, please." The elf throws the notes to the pair. "The seal has been opened at Swan's Rest. Our contact has confirmed that Dantie Silva,a pelorite. Xander Corilian, a wizard, and Tarith Spellbane, a spellthief are in the goddess' abode. This is what they have been observed using during the fight against Balion. Yes, dear, your ex is dead."

Nerine goes silent for a few seconds, deep in thought. Then takes the glass and gulps it down something fierce.

"Spellbane is there?", Nerine drinks from her glass. And here I thought i was only going to commit deicide. I'll have to charge extra for pest control."

"A spellthief? We haven't seen those in awhile. This ought to be interesting." The horned man speaks through his covered mouth as his shadow silently cracks its knuckles.

"According to Varian's report, the Seal should not be able to be resealed for at least one month. The place should have peasants, mostly. Avoid killing them- that's what the giants are for. You are to infiltrate the place, assassinate Arrallae and return empty handed."

Nerine steps up.

"You know how long I've waited to get her head? That glowing trollop is mine!"

The elf looks at Nerine sternly and this one slumps down.

"These are orders from the man himself. You go in, kill her, confirm the kill, and return. Simple."

"What do we do with the other three?", asks the horned man as his shadow shrugs."

The elf turns around and heads towards the door.

"Use your imagination, Luther."

13. - Top - End - #1123

GreenSorcererElf

Once Tarith gets back to the house, he finds the others, and talks to them

"There is a vault here that I would like to get into, but we don't have the keys needed. The key we are missing is probably in the rose garden, but getting it might be tricky. It would take a ghost to get it, or a way to open the garden, and I suspect that the goddess is not going to be up to opening the garden for us. So, can either of you make someone like a ghost?"

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think either of you can, but still needed asking
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Tarith this vault has me interested as well, and I mean I suspect the lich wishes to manipulate her and use her powers for his own purposes. Tarith, unfortunately I do not have a spell for that at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    And we know OOC they wish to kill her, at least so far, possibly killing her could unleash the other power or something. Seeing as we wont be here for the whole month till the seal could be redone, who thinks they end up killing her while we are away.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-05 at 11:53 PM.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

15. - Top - End - #1125

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming Dantie says no as well

"Then we might as well rest the night away. See you in the morning."

Tarith goes off somewhere, and sleeps(only need 2 hours, but nothing else better to do so...)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: The night goes off uninterrupted. The bright sun from the temple covers the village as the roosters wake the townsfolk up. The smell of eggs and bacon enter the window as the homes next door begin cooking their breakfast. A bunch of townsfolk head for the crop fields waving at you as they walk past the old house. A knock is heard on your door and you open. Martha greets you with an apron and a basket in her hand. The basket is covered in small polka dotted cloth. steam comes out from the basket and the house is filled with the smell of freshly baked rolls.

"Thought you folks might be hungry! I hope you enjoy and sorry about last night. Jacob says that once you're done, to meet him at the temple. Have a good one!"

17. - Top - End - #1127

RedWizardGuy

Xander thanks Martha, eats some of the rolls, and waits for the rest of the party to finish getting ready as he begins looking over a new scroll.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assume Xander has completed copying Haste, the last scroll is true seeing, and I wont have 6th lvl spell slots until I level. Am I able to begin studying the scroll, or do I have to wait until I have the spell lvl to look at the scroll? If I can then after 1 day of study Spellcraft (1d20+21)[41] vs DC 21

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1128

GreenSorcererElf

"Thank you for the food. It smells delicious."

Tarith enjoys his share of the food, and when the others are ready, he will head over to the temple.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: You may begin scribig the spell, although True Seeing is divine, if i'm not mistaken, unless you have some feat or class feature.

@The Party: You savor the rolls and walk out of the house and pass the villagers on their way to work. Everyone does seem strong. Not supernaturally strong, but very healthy. A kid about Tarith's age, and just as scrawny carries two large bails of hay on his back that would crack a regular kid's back. The boy nods to you as he walks past you. A gentle breeze with rose scent flies by and it does dawn upon you that, as some old sage mentioned years ago, ignorance is bliss. Arrallae may have something wrong with her, but Jacob and the rest have managed to keep everyone calm and unharmed. You reach the entrance of the temple, where Jacob awaits, greeting you from a distance as you walk through the cobbled lane.

"Good morning, folks! I hope you rested well. She should be coming out anytime now.."

The arch leading into the temple glows brightly and out steps Arrallae. She wears her white flowing robes and on her back hangs a green cloak with a forest motif embroidered in gold. A ivory quiver is strapped around her back, as well as an ornate bow with a swan's head at both ends of it. An ornate scabbard adorned with silver leaf patters on a leather built house a longsword, but the sword is sheathed, so it is difficult to tell what the weapon looks like.

"I...am sorry for last night. I hope I caused no harm to any of you." Arrallae bows.

She then looks towards the entrance and smiles.

"It has been so long... Jacob, please wait here. I have much to do in the forest. Will you three be so kind as to join me?"

20. - Top - End - #1130

GreenSorcererElf

@Jacob "We did indeed rest well. Hopefully, there will be no complications on this trip."

After she stands up straight, Tarith gives her a fancy bow, with a flourish at the end.

"You did no harm to any of us, and We would be honored to accompany you on this trip."

Fancy equipment. Hopefully, it is actually useful, and not just decorated.

Spoiler
    Show

If you think Tarith is being too nice, remember that he wants something from her.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-06 at 01:21 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #1131

RedWizardGuy

Thank you Jacob, the accommodations where much better than where we slept the nights before.

Xander bows in return to Arrallae.
    No need to apologize, you simply have a preexisting condition, witch seems to manifest from time to time as it did last night, I assure you we are all fine. As I said last night, I am more than glad to accompany you, are you fully prepared to depart? Might I suggest visiting Anzaril first, seeing as some of the other locations we will be visiting may not be a pleasant as reuniting with a old friend.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Thank you, Tarith. You are most kind." Arrallae beginds walking toards the entrance to Swan's Rest as the townsfolk wave and bow to her.

@Xander: Arrallae places her hand on your shoulder. warm and soft to the touch. "I have missed her so much.. I wonder how she is doing."

She continues on her way towards the Seal when Jacob approaches you.

"Xander, you are a wizard. Like Steiner, I suppose. When you return from your trip, I'd like to have a few words with you, if you don't mind. And please, do take care of her while out there."

@The Party: You walk beside the goddess of Swan's Rest and she pauses at the Great Seal.

"Yesterday I had to vanquish an old friend at this very gate. What awaits beyond it?"

You all take a few steps outside and Arrallae looks at the cracked arena and the domed, knotted ceiling.

"This was not here last time." Arrallae shuts her eyes for a few seconds and begins to radiate a glow that fills the entire arena. Immediately, grass begins to break through the stone circle , covering the remnants of her face in grass and flowers. Responding to her will, the trees above you seem to bow and retreat, allowing sunlight to bathe the entire area.

"Shall we move on? There is much more I must do."

23. - Top - End - #1133

GreenSorcererElf

"A couple of my friends were reanimated by the lich, would you be able to restore them to life? They died before they could get to enjoy life, and I would like to give them that chance."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-06 at 04:31 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "That Kazym, that was mentioned last night? Of course! show me to them."

You disclose the two cracked, dessicated bodies of your former ravens.

"Why would anyone do something like this?"

Arrallae kneels before both bodies and places her hands on their faces. A calm aura radiates from her in all directions, which begins to intensify as the grass sways back and forth and the flowers bloom into full color. The singing of birds are heard on the treetops and you watch Cecile and Basil's features regain the appearance they had before that fateful night at The Skylarios Home. Basil's chest wound is completely sealed and Ceciles mortal rib slash is sutured immediately. Both still have their armor heavily broken, but their bodies are in a shape as they were when they left the Foaming wench. They, however, appear to be asleep. they aren't getting up. Arrallae looks at you.

"Something is missing. I sensed it when I changed their condition. Normally, they would awaken, but here, it is as if their spark is not returning. Do you know why?"

25. - Top - End - #1135

RedWizardGuy

To Jacob as they leave.
    Of course Jacob, once we return I would be more than willing to converse with you.

To Arrallae in regard to Cecile and Basil.
    Tarith showed me a gem that we both suspect contains those two's souls. It seemed Kazym wanted his puppets to have no way of resisting him, I assume that would be what is missing.

Xander retreives the gem containing Cecile and Basil's souls and offers it to Arrallae.
    Is it in your power to reunite their souls and their bodies?

Spoiler
    Show
    with Tarith gone for a bit I figured Xander can get the gem off him no problem, to allow us to move on.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-06 at 03:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: Arrallae takes the black gem from your hands and this one crackles with black electricity as the goddess places it on her palm.

"You are free. The choice is yours."

The gem glows golden on Arrallae's hand and it shatters into a million pieces being blown up into the sky. A few seconds later, grunts are heard from Basil and a yawning from Cecile.

"Wha...Where am I?" Cecile looks up at Arrallae.

"Am I dreamin'? T? Is that you?" Basil darts around looking at his surroundings, then pauses as he eyes the lady before them, drawing a big dumb smile.

"Hi...I'm Basil!"

27. - Top - End - #1137

GreenSorcererElf

Upon seeing Basil and Cecile wake up, Tarith smiles, the first smile you have seen from him.

"Cecile, Basil, it is good to see you again. You are not dreaming, but you were resurrected after a rather nasty nymph killed you, and a lich reanimated you, and captured your souls. Thank you, Arrallae, for your kindness."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #1138

RedWizardGuy

Xander raises a eyebrow upon seeing Tarith's reaction.
    So he does smile...I suppose that rules out you being a construct.

Xander looks toward Basil, and Cecile.
    It is good to see you two returned to your original state. I am Xander Corillian, a companion of your friend Tarith.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1139

GreenSorcererElf

"Of course I can smile. Constructs don't have friends anyway, they just have allies. Besides, destroying them is a pain. Also, people trust a smiling man more than an emotionless one."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #1140

RedWizardGuy

Xander holds his hands up in a surrendering fashion.
    I mean no offense, excuse my poor jest. I am simply saying I have seen, little emotion from you in the short time we have known each other. It is good to see. Xander grins, slightly. Although your reaction does indeed prove my observation correct, you are no construct.

Spoiler
    Show