New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

Chapter II

The Cursed Goddess

A child nymph runs through the forest crying for help in sylvan. She has barely seen a few hundred autumns, which would make her a very young fey. Her cries fall on deaf ears as a mob of growling dessicated humanoids chase after her. As the nymph begins to focus on her ability to vanish away, a handful of barbed vines rise around her. The child watches in horror as the mob stays a prudent distance away from the roving mass of brambles and a wild man in a grimy breast plate and a scythe jumps from above the trees. Another, dressed in tattered white robes begins walking towards her as the vines crumble to dust. The nymph would see this as a chance to escape, but she finds her body does not respond.

"We have been going around in circles, Balion...why?", asks the Kazym as his shadow covers the nymph.

"I...I cannot commune with her...He severed the bond. Severed MY BOND with her!" shouts the feral druid.

Kazym lifts the fey child by the throat with his hand. The nymph begins burning as the mob growls in pleasure. She sheds dry tears which quickly crystallize and soon feels her body turning stiff and dry as cracks begin to appear on her face.

"Please focus, my friend. I grow weary of killing fey. I have more important matters to attend to. Matters that will benefit you immensely, but only if we find her. Shall we regroup at your place?"

The mob and the two casters walk into the woods as the body of the nymph child, now a statue, sheds a single tear before crumbling into a pile of salt.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

I must agree with Tarith, though I am an educated man, nothing I read could have prepared me for the world outside the church I grew up in. Dantie said before looking at Tarith But, with the knowledge from the books you read you will have a great advantage to defeat whatever you are fighting.

@Silias Silias do you happen to have a belt of healing or perhaps a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, a shield by any chance that has spikes and can stop a ghosts attack. It would be greatly appreciated.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Perhaps, Dantie. You would also need to remember the information, and have the skill and ability to use it. Or you could be an experienced combatant, and know how to counter most common effects, and also know the most critical thing I ever learned: When to run away. If you can't effectively fight something, then run away, and learn how you can fight it."

"Silas, would you be capable of quickly adding a wand chamber to this dagger? Or, perhaps 3 minor crystals of returning?"
    Tarith shows one of his magebane daggers.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-02 at 11:09 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Silas looks at your dagger. "Hmmm... it would seem you want to excercise your abilities against the unliving without wasting time, very good, yes. I may need just a few hours to work the wand into the dagger and attune both. Be advised, however, that the power of the wand will expel eventually, just like any other wand. I will give you easy instructions on how to remove the wand once this one is exhausted."

Silas turns to look at his students.

"They are oblivious as to what transpired last night. Apparently some of tehir parents who attended the ball decided to not raise an alarm. I will, however take a more defensive stance in their teachings. With any luck, by the time you return from the forest, the city will be aptly defended. Arcane and Divine-wise."

@Bishop: You walk down Merchant Street and sure enough, you spot the carpnter Silas mentioned. His chop is piled with saw dust. A strong middle aged man sweats as he hacks logs in a small patio beside the shop. He stops his duties and loks up at you.

"Good morning, sir! Interested in something?"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-03 at 01:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

@Silias Silias do you happen to have a belt of healing or perhaps a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, a shield by any chance that has spikes and can stop a ghosts attack. It would be greatly appreciated. Dantie said, doubting he would have the shield, but the hoping he would have the other two things he was looking for.

Then to Silias's comment he added, It will take much time for the duke to adjust to the new situation, and the parents may find it odd if you start teaching their children things that are to far ahead of them. Be weary my friend, whoever it was they were working for is sure to have their eyes on Justcrown even more now no doubt. Never mind the Hextorities.

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

"Silas, that seems like precisely what I want. A few hours should be perfectly acceptable. How much will that cost me?"

Tarith hands over one of the magebane daggers.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

@Tarith/Dantie
    I agree that practical experience is very valuable, however before facing a mighty creature such as a dragon, one should study the creatures capabilities, many have observed the creatures and recorded there observations into multiple volumes, using the proper set of books can give you a distinct edge against a dragon, simply by readying you have the ability to learn expected average maneuverability, potential blind spots, even how to determine the gender of the beast. Having a plethora of like knowledge would give one a distinct tactical advantage when one was to face such a creature.

@Silas
    As you know, we are planning a trip into fay woods soon, would you happen to have any books containing information regarding the typical flora and fauna we may encounter while there?

Spoiler
    Show
    hopefully they got everything they needed done in those 3 days, glad its back up.
    @Alan the book is more for RP purposes, just so i can point out random bits about occasional plants and the like while we are there.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

8. - Top - End - #8

Bishop approaches the carpenter and asks him, "Would you happen to sell masterwork artisan tools?"

Spoiler
    Show

To get things moving, if he does have the masterwork artisan tools Bishop will buy one, then head back to the others.

Also, is it me or are the forums much much slower since after they went down?
    Intelligent doors FTW

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes and no, on certain areas they are slower, but in others they seem to be faster. Also it is taking longer for us to get the boot. So wounder if alan will get a post up today before he begins his groups game today.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: "Why, yes sir. I do. Well, I have a spare in case mine break. You wouldn't be thinking about opening business here, would you?"

@Xander: "I may have a book regarding the local flora and fauna at the loft, Xander. You are more than welcome to borrow it after I'm done with my classes here. As for the bedroll, yes! I do happen to have one."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-07 at 08:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

"No, I am a traveler, not a businessman."
    Intelligent doors FTW

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok this is my third time posting the same thing and not getting a reply starting to get annoyed.

@Silias Silias do you happen to have a belt of healing or perhaps a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, a shield by any chance that has spikes and can stop a ghosts attack. It would be greatly appreciated. Dantie said, doubting he would have the shield, but the hoping he would have the other two things he was looking for.

Then to Silias's comment he added, It will take much time for the duke to adjust to the new situation, and the parents may find it odd if you start teaching their children things that are to far ahead of them. Be weary my friend, whoever it was they were working for is sure to have their eyes on Justcrown even more now no doubt. Never mind the Hextorities.

13. - Top - End - #13

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming we are at the store now, to sell stuff. Also assuming we are selling the cloak of resistance +1, unless anyone else wants it. Also assuming my appraisals are correct.

"Silas, we also came into some rather nice items to sell while at the ball. All legal, so no worries. Would you be interested in a rather nice Mithril Breastplate? It is enchanted, and should sell fairly quickly, as there are many who could use such an item. 6000 Would seem to be a fair price, seeing as you could sell it for over 8000, and it won't be littering up your shop for long. We also have a couple of healing potions, invaluable to the wandering adventure, and also quite likely to sell, given the handiness of healing. 200 for each, so 400 total. We also have a couple of more mage friendly items, A headband of intellect, a favorite of mages everywhere, so I am sure it will sell very quickly, as your school has an abundance of mages who are rich, and would benefit from such an item. 3000, and a steal for you at that price. We also have one of the most ubiquitous items ever made, a cloak of resistance. A boon to everyone, and at a relatively low price, available to all. Again, easily salable, so I am confident that you will jump at the chance to own one for the low, low price of 750 gold. I also have several scrolls you may be interested in. I will also be purchasing some items, so you will be getting the majority of your gold back, making this an even better deal for you."

As each item is mentioned, Tarith produces it with a flourish, presenting it in a fine fashion.

Spoiler
    Show

I hope you like the street vendor advertising. I also hope that I have not set the prices too high. I tried to adjust for likelihood of saleability, which should let me sell them for more, seeing as they will occupy space for a shorter period of time.
    bluff checks: breastplate(1d20+20)[34]
    potions:(1d20+20)[29]
    headband:(1d20+20)[26]
    cloak of resistance:(1d20+20)[23]
    Sadly, low rolls, but still...

@Xander: you should comment on wanting to look at the scrolls mentioned, so that Tarith gives them to you.

Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-07 at 09:59 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: "Indeed, father Silva! I have one bedroll in stock Sadly, I do not have spiked shields that would deter the undead or a healing belt at the moment. I have heard, however, that there is a very well stocked trading town south of here, in Hammerbruk."

@Tarith: Silas smiles. "You're good, Spellbane, you know that? We have a deal. Mind if I see those scrolls?"

Silas shuts his eyes for a second and mutters some words in draconic and then reads the scrolls.

"What is this place?", says Silas as he eyes the scroll quizzicaly.

@Bishop: "In that case, fine sir. My tools are now yours. Planning on doing some home renovations on your own?"

15. - Top - End - #15

GreenSorcererElf

"I know nothing of the destination, beyond that it is specific. I assume it is some sort of base for Varian, the doppleganger. As such, there is probably not a time issue involving it. Additionally, before going on a trip through the planes, I would like to have a way back, which this scroll, does not provide. I think that Xander may want some of the scrolls as well, so I suppose it is his choice to sell them or not.

In terms of my buying stuff, Would you have a couple of least crystals of returning(300) in stock? Or a Raptor Mask(3500)? Or an additional anklet of translocation(1400)? They would be rather useful.
    "

Tarith hands Silas the items he has sold, and splits the gold into four equal shares, and hands Dantie's and Xander's shares to them.

Spoiler
    Show

So, money made=6000+400+3000+750=10150, so 2537 gold each, Tarith will pocket the 2 extra gold...
    sleight of hand to conceal this(1d20+13)[25]
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-07 at 10:57 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie then looks to Xander, This bedroll I am asking about may help you as well Xander, for it lets you replenish your spells. Would you like to go halves on it with me? Dantie asks Xander before paying Silias.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Xander agrees Dantie pays 1,500gp if not he uses his money to buy it making him have 0 left. Once this is done we need to all get together so I can cast spells for the day.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "I do have a spare anklet and a pair of those crystals. Sadly, I have asked everywhere for the mask, but have not been able to get it."

Silas studies the scroll.

"If you give me some time, while you travel, I can do some research into this place. If you happen to be back in the city, I may have some knowledge about it. For that, however, I will need the scroll."

18. - Top - End - #18

GreenSorcererElf

"Fair enough. I will buy the anklets and the crystals then. Hopefully, that trader in Hammerbruk will have the mask, as it will be needed for another encounter with Nerine. I see no issue with you having the scroll until we return from the wilderness, as the information could be useful, just don't lose it."

Tarith hands over the 2000 gold, and collects the anklets, and the crystals. He immediately places the Anklet on the ankle without an anklet, and sockets one of the crystals into the bastard sword.

"Well, I will need to visit a couple of other places, in order to ensure that Oliver and Bill are set up, as well as selling Nerine's clothing, so perhaps we should meet at the tavern in 4 hours or so, which should give Silas time to add the wand chamber to the dagger as well."

Tarith leaves the school, heading towards the clothing store that he and Bishop encountered Varian at before the Ball. He will also keep an eye out for one of the fences, as well as a jeweler to sell his gems and necklaces to.

Spoiler
    Show

In the interest of Tarith not taking significantly more actions to resolve in the town, perhaps we could handle all three stores at about the same time?
    So, would be @Jeweler, @Fence, @Clothier style thing.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #19

Bishop leaves the merchant to his own devices after buying the masterwork artisan tools, and heads back down the road towards Silas' shop, after seeing Tarith heading to the clothing shop he decides to follow and catch up to him.

@Tarith "How is it going? Did you manage to sell the stuff? If so, what is my share of the loot? "

Bishop then takes the pieces of cloth tied to his arm, shakes them around and turns them into 2 bandoliers, puts them on, then puts his 4 katanas into the bandoliers for quick access and a stylish look.

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe when we come back to Justcrown after the fey woods they will have combined their respective stores to make 1 mega store :)
    Intelligent doors FTW

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

The mention of scrolls draws Xander's attention from his browsing.
    I had not realized you had any scrolls in your possession, would you mind if i took a look at them, i may be able to make more use out of them then the coin would provide.

Xander looks to Silas.
    Thank you for the book, I will pick it up when you are done here.
    Would you happen to have one more of those anklets Tarith is purchasing, the magic contained would go a long way in insuring my safety if a foe does happen to close there distance. If you are out would you be able to keep a eye out for one and hold it for me, i will be able check back on a later date.

If Silas has the item Xander purchases it.

At Dantie's question Xander's face lights up.
    The item will be beneficial for the both of us? This seems like a positive use of funds, I would be more than happy to contribute. Do you know of any restrictions the item has we may wish to keep in mind?
    Xander hands Dantie the money for his portion of the item allowing Dantie to do the actual purchasing.

Spoiler
    Show
    To bad purchasing the item came up before we finished deciding if it would be a useful as we think. I tend to agree with Tarith's statement about the bedroll being a situational item, the only real use i think we will get would be if on a day one of us does not have the 48 hour debuff and happen to run out of spells a hour long rest could help us out in a bind, but i suspect that spells cast before would still count towards the spells casted in that 24 hour period and would make the item rather useless. (unless we had 3 and it was only to shorten resting time.) But for the sake of RP Xander is more than happy to agree to share something.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

GreenSorcererElf

Before leaving Sila's School, Tarith turns to Xander.
    "Here are the scrolls that we found. If you don't want them, just sell them. Silas has the scroll of plane shift that we found, as he is going to research the destination for us."
    Tarith hands over the scrolls of haste, true seeing, and greater invisibility, before heading out of the shop.

Seeing Bishop coming towards him, Tarith reaches into his pocket, and extracts Bishop's share of the loot.

"Bishop, I have not sold your items, seeing as selling them to Silas, who would probably recognize them, would be a bad idea. I was going to sell them to an... acquaintance of mine, who will ask no questions about the source. However, here is your share of the group funds, which will hopefully be enough to let you buy whatever it is you need."

Tarith passes the 2537 gold to Bishop, and continues walking towards the clothier.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-08 at 09:13 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

And here you are Silias the money for the bedroll. Dantie says handing him over both his and Xanders 1,500 gp for the item. Then to Xander he says Well my friend if we happen to run out of spells and are in a tough spot one of us could gain most of them back within an hour. In my eyes being able to get our spells back quickly is a great boon. But if you eventually find it not useful I could buy out your half latter on. After all we still need to go see the duke. Seeing Tarith getting ready to leave Dantie calls out to him. Tarith wait. Dantie says as he goes to catch up. Here is the rest of my money. Please try to get 2 diamonds worth at least 5,000gp. This is a buy for the party so I do not expect you to throw the res tof the money in but for everyone to help you. Thank you my friend. Dantie says hoping he understands. I will head to the dukes to collect our reward so that when we meet back we can buy some food and water for the trip and then leave. Good hunting my friend. Dantie says before going back to where Xander is standing talking to Silias.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

After receiving the scrolls from Tarith. Xander looks them over.
    As i had hoped, I will be able to make more use of the spells written on these scrolls than the funds selling them would fetch us, thank you. If you happen to come across more such scrolls please keep me in mind.

After hearing Dantie's explanation Xander nods in agreement.
    The item does in deed sound very useful, it is good to know if sharing it proves to be less beneficial than we hope you wish to own the item personally, let us hope however that is not the case, and the item proves to be worth the investment for the both of us.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

GreenSorcererElf

"Say, Bishop, would you mind if I borrowed a hat of disguise? I figure that having some diamonds available for raise dead might be a good plan, but paying for them is not such a good idea. With the hat, I can steal them without being known as myself."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #25

"I suppose I only need 1, if you see a blindfold a true darkness grab it for me though, and/or some coins." Bishop then hands Tarith one of his bandoliers.

Spoiler
    Show

The bandolier is one of the hats of disguise.
    Intelligent doors FTW

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

"Fair enough. Time to add a little magic to this disguise. Being recognized is not part of my plan."
    Tarith heads to an alley, to avoid eyes as he changes his appearance.
    Tarith then puts on the hat of disguise, and absorbs a charge from the menacing armor to cast Alter Self, changing his appearance to that of a wealthy looking young noblewoman, and using the hat to change the appearance of his equipment to match what a noblewoman would be wearing.
    "Well, how do I look? Somehow, I doubt that anyone will suspect that this... flower is me. I should also be above suspicion of theft, and appear trustworthy to a jeweler."
    The disguised Tarith sets out for a jeweler
    Spoiler
    Show

disguise roll(1d20+24)[29]would be 26, but -2 for wrong gender
    Asking for Bishop to check the disguise, so Tarith knows the effectiveness of the disguise.
    knowledge: Local:(1d20+3)[17] name of a local noble family with a daughter, and the daughters name(disguise as the daughter)
    knowledge: nobility and royalty:(1d20+3)[15] name of a local noble family with a daughter, and the daughters name(disguise as the daughter)
    hide(1d20+26)[41](to avoid notice of any on-lookers)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-08 at 01:28 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #27

"I can't even tell that it is you. Nice disguise."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check:
    (1d20+2)[17]
    Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-08 at 01:39 PM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

28. - Top - End - #28

GreenSorcererElf

"Always good news. Time to play the spoiled brat..."

The disguised Tarith heads for a jeweler's store.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #29

Bishop tells Tarith, "I'm going to be outside of the city making some stuff, come find me when we are ready to head out. I'll try to stay near the main gate." And with that Bishop heads out of the city, looking more a way to entertain himself. He looks for the biggest tree he can find.

He then jumps up it, and climbs the rest of the way til he reaches the top. At which point he takes out his masterwork artisan tools and begins breaking off branches and starts to build a giant tree house.

He also makes nails out of smaller branches to hold the tree house together. Then uses his sledge to hit them into place.

Spoiler
    Show

Jump:
    (1d20+37)[38]

Climb (take 10): 19

Craft (woodworking take 10): 22
    Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-08 at 06:50 PM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well Xander I shall be heading to the dukes now. Dantie says. Once he gets to the dukes he chats for a small amount of time and once he receives all of their rewards and collects Lucian with his diamond to resurrect his brother he heads to the front gate.