New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

@Tarith: You read the ledger. These are the most relevant pieces of information. The dates, as could be expected, vary wildly.
    Spoiler
    Show

- Jacob and I met a curious fellow in the woods. A poet, of sorts. He says he's attempting to chronicle the ways of the Fey. Jacob and I laughed at him. The fey will never allow an outsider in their grove.

- Sneaky Steiner. The bastard managed to gain favor with them. They actually like him! Perhaps I misjudged his character. We have lead him to our village in the woods. He says he wishes to stay. I see no problem with that. Myriam seems quite taken with him. I guess he and I could double date.

- Something wondrous has happened today. We saw a light fall from the north into the Shepherd's grove. There we saw her, Jacob and I. An elf maiden, resting at the roots of the Grand Tree. She is... unlike anything I have seen before. Animals were gathered around her, yet none even dared pounce on her. They were guarding her. Why is the air so serene?

- Arrallae... thatīs what she calls herself. The woman has no recollection of anything else. We have brought her into the village. The sun seemed to follow her as we guided her through the woods. Why do I feel funny around her?

- My Lady is a boon for the land. She has healed the withered crops of the village and demonstrates powers beyond anything I have seen before. Some of the villagers call her a goddess. I am inclined to agree, despite her refusal to be acknowledged as that.

- I had a break out with Nerine today. It ended poorly. She does not understand! Arrallae is my goddess, not her! I never thought I'd raise my scythe against her, but I had to. How dare she attempt to strike her down? Uwellyn has decreed she is to be banned from the forest. I thought about saying good-bye, but it's best I do not. Traitor.

- We have learned Arrallae's power to see the future. She was hestitant at first, but I insisted. Maybe she would be able to regain her memories back. It was a terrible mistake.

- Steiner says he has devised a spell to secure Arrallae in the village. Why the blood? He told me that it was for her safety, and that of everyone. Whatever, if it will protect her. So be it. Arrallae has conferred upon me a great gift to protect the forest. I vow to use it in her name. As a selfish act, I asked her a parting gift, while I'm away- a lock of her hair. It still shines bright despite all these years.

- The Shepherd has taught me the mysteries of the forest. Impressive. I made him all on my own. He will be valiant and glorious, like her Guardians, like me. None shall enter her domain while heīs here.

- (this part is written hastily, the quill seems to have broken at different points, given how hard he must've pressed the quill)

LIARS! COWARDS! I can't see her again! If I ever see that cheating bastard I'll snap his neck! Steiner. You better not come back to this forest. And Jacob, he's a selfish bastard. He wants her for his own! Fine, If I can't go in, nobody will! I think it's time to use Anzaril for my own purposes. You want the forest protected? It will, by my own hand, in the way I see fit!

-This caster, Kazym. He claims he can reunite me with Arrallae. I need to see her. I am losing my mind. The monster speaks of joining him in opening the Seal. Very well. I will oblige. However, if he thinks she will join his Lord of Fire, he has another thing coming.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-19 at 03:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

@Bishop: "Dantie left it here for the Druid, and I suspect that he will keep track of the lich. I would like to have the Druid fighting the lich, rather than us. One way to do that is to get him to trust us, while distrusting the lich. Leaving that painting should help with that."

After reading the ledger:
    "Looks like I found Balion's Diary. It seems that Steiner and Myriam were dating, whereas Balion and Nerine were dating. Nerine probably hates the goddess because Balion chose the goddess over her, which the nymph evidently did not take well. They got the goddess to try to see the future, but when she did, they sealed her away. Looks like doing so did something to the goddess, although what, I don't know. Also, the Lich works for a Lord of Fire. Does anyone know what that is?"

Tarith then allows the others to read the ledger.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: Balion's tone changes when you mention Steiner's name.

"HIM?! YOU WOULD ASSOCIATE WITH THAT SNAKE! I HAVE BEEN EXILED BECAUSE OF THAT BASTARD'S TREACHERY! AND NOW YOU, DANTIE SILVA, HAVE THE GALL TO BRING HIS WORK TO MY HOME! ANY WHO SIDE WITH STEINER, OPPOSE ME!"

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie seeing that the time has come to let the others know about his talk with Balion, looks around to make sure glimermug is not around. When he is sure he explains to the group that he has been talking to Balion, and that he did not know the lich had turned his mentor into an abomination. It seems that Balion is proving more an ally to us then we would have originally thought. The painting is a sign of good faith Bishop.

After reading the ledger Dantie agrees with Tarith on the ideas he has thrown out. This lord of fire. He was mentioned in the letter to The hextorite as well was he not. Dantie says trying to remember if he has heard of this man before that time.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] arcane (1d20+5)[20] history (1d20+15)[29] religion

When Dantie hears Balions tone get angry he is cofused until he gets to the part in the journal where it mentions him being locked out by them. Balion it is nbot what you think. He is dead. We went searching for him when we heard of a plan to steal something and found a man dead, he had written a letter to the man. We got the pictures from his house because he is dead. The drunk almost killed him himself, the goddess took her blessing away from him and he died of old age. Unlike you Balion. It is he who told the outside world of her and put her in danger, I am sorry that saying his name angered you, but I do not hold any alliance to him. Only the knowldge of how to get past the seal he placed up. And a drop of his blood. If you wish I will take the picture back, but I thought seeing a picture of her again would show a sign of good faith that I want to help you see her again. Please Balion calm down. Dantie sends to Balion mentally.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-10-19 at 03:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+21)[22] Diplomacy check to calm Balion down, hopefully it works.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You try and mine your mind to see what you may have heard of this so called Lord of Fire. The title is very ambiguous. Many creatures who use fire typically take that monicker. As far as as to anything religious or magical, it is difficult to ascertain. Historically, however. You do know this:

Spoiler
    Show
    -There is a warlord, on the other side of the world. One who has been conquering tribes and nations for a long time. It is said he uses such a title. However, this is all the way in the Sea of Sand, across the world.

Balion goes quiet on the mental line, then resumes.

"Dantie. You certainly carry with you much wisdom. Maybe, had things been different. I will cut conversation now. Continue on your path. That we may yet meet and conclude our phillosphical differences."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

With the information Dantie gleems from his mind he looks to the others and says There is such a man in this time and place, though he is on the other side of the world from the sea of sands. It would explain Why the lich is here though and all the sand. Dantie says to the group before him.

To Balion

As you wish. I shall leave the painting their though so you can do with it what you wish. Until we meet for real. Dantie says to to Balion before looking at the group. Balion so far is still neutral with us. He may help us against this Lich, but first we will have to show him we only wan tthis lich gone and to see the goddess. By seeing her we unlock the door for him as well. But we should leave this place for now. Dantie then waits for everyone to go with him to outside. Once out there he looks at Tarith and says, Can you trigger that trap now, I wish to see what is down there. after all if it is a pit trap then at least it will make sense. But perhaps it may be something the lich did.

8. - Top - End - #458

GreenSorcererElf

"Wasn't there a seneschal Kazym there? At least, I think Silas mentioned that. Perhaps the seneschal is now the lich, explaining how they met one another, but where did the goddess and brandobras come into this mess..."

Spoiler
    Show

Disarming a pit trap is opening it up, so it should already be open
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You look down the pit. It's a hundred feet fall, ending with sharpened roots jutting upward.

Elsewhere, in the forest...

Balion ignites a bush and sits down, looking at the flames in silence. Kazym paces around the camp, with the sand giants standing guard around him and the mummies sniffing out the night air.

"You went silent there, Guardian. Is everything ok?"

"Why the Shepherd, Kazym?" Balion looks up at him with a scowl on his face.

Kazym looks mildly surprised. Then he calms down and sits by the fire, pretending to get warmth from it.

"For you, Guardian, why else? You know they all want you away from her. Even the tree. They all conspire against you. You know this already, Balion. I took some measures to ensure you would be unopposed. Think about it. You and her, walking around your forest, uncontested. Isn't that what you want? Isn't that what I want as well? We are a team, Balion. We look after each other."

The Guardian lays down turning his back on Kazym.

"I take it you don't sleep, lich. So youīll take guard. Do not awake me until dawn."

"Of course, Grand Guardian. Sleep tight"

These maggots are proving to be a nuisance...
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-19 at 04:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460

GreenSorcererElf

"I did not see much down there, beyond a long drop and an abrupt stop, but it is there, if you want to look at it."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie looks down, but after seeing nothing agrees. Guess its time to leave.

12. - Top - End - #462

GreenSorcererElf

"Gigglemug, shall we move on?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "We should not be too far. Maybe a day into the forest. I had never been into his house before. Odd he would have left it abandoned."

You begin walking as the moon light bathes the canopy. Upon reaching a clearing, you see a fine statue covered in moss. The statue is large sized and depicts a young man bearing a smile with a lute reclining on a stone divan. The statue seems to have been struck several times with punches, attesting to the markings on the stone. An inscription reads below the figure.

Steiner Lacore
    Who Made The Goddess Laugh
    And had Balion Finally take a Bath

14. - Top - End - #464

GreenSorcererElf

"Looks like Balion really hated Steiner. It also looks like he can throw some pretty good punches. I wonder if there is anything lying around this statue."

Tarith searches the area
    search: 40
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie looks up at Tariths statement, he had been thinking about how they would take care of the undead if they attacked tonight but in the end had come up with nothing. Lets just say he almost refused to work with us because of mentioning his name. He really hates him. Dantie says to Tarith before looking around the area to see if it is defend able if they were attacked during the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[15] Spot (1d20+4)[14] Listen (1d20+1)[17] search (1d20+6)[11] Survival

Once done he asks the group to stop and then says We have a problem. We have a angry lich on our hands, and a forest full of undead. I think we should sleep in Rounds tonight. And if anyone spots anything during their watch they wake everyone else up. We do not want to be caught off guard. Dantie says before looking directly at Xander. Is there any way you can set up a perimeter around this place so that if anything gets within say 40 ft of our camp we will know. In a circle would be best, I will try to cover the area with a holy spell to keep as much of the undead as I can away, though it may draw the lich himself, it is a chance we should take I think. And what are we going to do about light? I can create it with magic, but it may draw attention. Once everyone has decided on what they want to do and the camp is set up Dantie cast create food and water so that everyone can eat for the 2nd time today.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well just noticed how good that spell is, will be using it tommrow morning for RP fun.

16. - Top - End - #466

GreenSorcererElf

"Do we really need to rest? I have almost as many tricks available now as I had in the morning, and resting in the forest full of undead strikes me as a bad idea."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You search the area around the statue and the overall campsite you'll be putting up. Aside from the growling in the distance from the undead, nothing catches your attention nearby... except for some flying roses.

@Dantie: The area looks relatively safe, if opened, of course. Nothing a few spells and a decent guard shift couldn't fix.

18. - Top - End - #468

GreenSorcererElf

"I have some flying roses over here. Anyone have any ideas?"

Tarith heads towards the flying roses
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

They have the advantage right now Tarith, they can see us before we can see them. If I cast spells to make that go away, then we will be surrounded by undead in no time. I think it would be wise, to rest, even if only for a short amount of time, eat, and then continue in the morning. I rather have to protect my back in a small clearing then in the middle of this forest being chased by undead. What do you three think? Dantie says to their guide, Bishop, and Xander. Then as an after thought he looks to the fey and asks, Have you heard word from the eastern coven if she made it to them or not?

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[13] arcane (1d20+15)[22] religion flying plants could be fey

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: "Casyllyn is probably at the Western Grove by now. She knows shortcuts through the trees. Hopefully, she is aware of the dangers and has taken the necessary steps." Gigglemug looks in the direction of the roses with a raised eyebrow.

@Tarith: You walk towards the roses and see their are eight tiny little women garbed in rose petals. The creatures fly around the statue and some sit on the lute looking at you.

"Greetings, weary traveler! Why not lay down for a spell?" The other creatures begin chanting a soft lullaby.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save DC 21 or fall asleep

Gigglemug cries out.

"Petunia, no!"

22. - Top - End - #472

GreenSorcererElf

(1d20+12)[23] will.
    if he makes it(1d20+12)[14] VS 11+cl to absorb the effect
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #473

GreenSorcererElf

"Try that again, and I will end you. Now, why that spell? It won't work on the undead."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The fey begin chanting and your eyes feel heavy. Just then, Gigglemug's yell fazes you out. You manage to absorb a simple spell...

Sleep

The fey look at you intrigued.

"Gigglemug! Why are you not allowing us to ease this the traveler's journey?"

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Well. Isn't that the voice of gratitude! We are Petals. It is our solemn duty to bring healthful rest to any who look weary. We have seen the dry ones in the forest, but our chant does nothing against them."

26. - Top - End - #476

GreenSorcererElf

"Trying to cast a spell on someone without permission is rather hostile. If you have tried that on the undead, I am amazed that you are still alive. Gigglemug, what can you tell me about these Petals?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Instant success, Dantie is immune to all mind effecting spells.

Dantie looks at the fey known as petals and says It may be your job, but to put those trying to save your forest to sleep before they are ready is not. Would you like it if I put you asleep right now, only to have you wake up later on when I so choose? Danite says to the fey, not hostilely but as if explaining to them. He then holds out his hand to one of them and says, So why are you out here and not hiding with the others? It is surprising that old Balion and the shade have not killed you yet as they have so many others.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

@Dantie before they leave the grove
    I very much agree that we must put a stop to this lich before he can spread more destruction, however our methods may vary it seems. I once read a book on the art of warfare, written by a great tactician. In it he spoke of the importance of knowing ones enemy, especially when ones enemy is powerful enough to bring about ones untimely demise with out so much as breaking a sweat.
    The three of you have battled this creature to no avail correct? Perhaps the traditional route of facing and attempting to destroy the creature directly is not the best course of action. We should consider using whichever methods available in order to put a end to a creature set on death and destruction, surly the crime of speaking to one such as he in order to attempt to gain the information required to bring about his destruction before he is able despoil other parts of the world as he has done here. Especially given the close proximity of the city of Justcrown. and knowing that he has no fear being in the city regardless of the strong presence of both churches.

Once arriving at the statue, and seeing the flying roses.
    My magic is not depleted, I can go on if we wish, however if you feel you need a rest we may stop for some time.

Spoiler
    Show
    nature [roll]1d20+15[/ will save [roll]1d20+12[/roll
    I skipped over the cabin since you guys got everything pretty well covered and i have to head out for a bit, Tarith did you just steal the 1 spell?
    Dantie, sorry but I get the feeling your character will disapprove of some of Xander's actions from time to time, but Xander is a talkative person, and his low wisdom(well average for humans, but average humans don't do what we do), and Naive flaw make up a lot of his personality, so he makes a fair amount of mistakes, and doesn't pick up on peoples feelings in conversations very well so he continues a lot conversations past the point he probably should, but hes not to proud to apologize or make amends, when he finally realizes he has gone to far.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Petunia belongs to the fey known as Petals. Very ancient fey from the forest who take it upon themselves to lull travelers to sleep. Their intentions aren't evil. sadly, Petunia and her host don't evaluate the consequences of leaving stray travelers asleep."

She turns towards Petunia.

"They are here to stop Balion, Petunia! We can't afford your succor right now. Please go back to the Western Grove."

@Dantie: "We have seen The Old Guardian walking with a shade, traveler. We learned many years ago not to approach Old Balion. We have seen so much suffering in the last few days, all we wanted was to ease other's pain."

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    understandable, and not trying to push you away just playing a cleric of pelor as such.

And that one person would let thousands die. I would not. I would rather die then talk to such a creature, and ask any holy man in those two churches and they shall say the same. The problem now a days is those that have gained enough power to stop such things see that it is not their job to do so. If all of the High city marched on a war to eradicate the undead blight in no time would it be over and done with. Destroying anyone who tries to bring them back, and destroying all the knowledge on how to create them. It is unholy and wrong to those who died. And no he did not get away untouched. I took half his face with me last time. Dantie says with a smile remembering the memory of that battle. He had Varien to help him that time, it is the only reason he won the battle. But the war will be ours.

Then looking to the Petals he says You are only leading them to their doom by putting them to sleep. And Balion may be coming back to the goddess. He is starting to question the shades ways and if we can get him to see her we may be able to bring back the old guardian you once knew. Though if he continues his path things will have to change.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-10-19 at 06:34 PM.