New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

"So, presumably, Bailon figured it out, and eliminated the tree, and set a trap for others. Do you have a plan b?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Gigglemug ponders on your question.

"Old Balion may be mad, but he's not stupid. There is no way he would kill The Shepherd. The wise tree has been here since the beginning. It was the tree who taught Balion how to commune with nature. That is the reason why we were able to push the Guardian away when he began attacking the forest. It was the fear of his mentor."

Gigglemug flies upward and and sits cross-legged in midair, while resting his chin on his hand.

"There is Anzaril... but I would rather not have to go that route, personally."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-16 at 08:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273

GreenSorcererElf

"All right then, but we should be careful. I suspect there will be a trap. We should get moving."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bishop looks at Gigglemug and mumbles something under his breathe, "*****" Then shouts to the rest of the group, "Well let's get going!" He the drinks from his decanter.
    Intelligent doors FTW

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Gigglemug looks at Bishop then says in a hushed tone.

"Are you sure he isn't ensorcelled?"

@The Party: You trek for a few more hours. Ducking the massive roots that have overgrown in the area. The sun's rays barely manage to send a sliver through the thick canopy. Off in the distance, more growls can be heard.

"We should not deviate from our path. The Shepherd will know what to do."

You reach what looks like a large dome made of tangled trees, surrounded by the forest. There is no entrance per se, unless one where small enough to fly or crawl through the openings left by the roots. A large stone slab stands a few feet away from the dome. Like the two before, it is crudely etched and shows a large tree with a figure sleeping at its base. The writing is in Sylvan. This is what it says.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here Fell Fair Arrallae
    Unto the Boughs of the Great Shepherd
    Who Cradled her in his Roots
    Blessed Be

Gigglemug ignores the slab and flies towards the root wall.

"Shepherd! Tis I, Gigglemug! I come for counsel!"

The floor rumbles as the roots that make the dome part ways, allowing an entrance.

"See? I knew he'd be here! Let's make haste!"

6. - Top - End - #276

RedWizardGuy

As the Party is traveling through the woods, to the party.
    This does indeed sound like a trap, but I have a idea, that may just disrupt it, the only problem is if this Balion can travel through the trees and control trees, what is to stop him from spying on us using them.

I have a way around that of course, using that spell I mentioned earlier would prevent eavesdropping. I would can only use it on three of us however, and would need your permission. Afterwards we could safely strategize with ease.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-10-16 at 09:40 PM.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

7. - Top - End - #277

GreenSorcererElf

"There is little point in doing so unless you can block scrying on all of us. We can just plan for the enemy to know everything we do. So long as he can't pull that trick often, he will need to fight us, and we will win. Gigglemug, I am afraid he is not under an enchantment, unless you count being drunk as an enchantment."

Tarith heads down into the dome, looking about warily as he goes.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #278

RedWizardGuy

My spell however removes the need for words, it will appear as if we are walking in silence, while all the while we can freely communicate with each other. This would be the same one i mentioned at the party to you.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

GreenSorcererElf

"If you can only target 3 of the 4 of us, it is still not perfect, but it is better than nothing. Probably better leave Bishop out then, since he will probably be drunk anyway."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: You walk through the opening and enter an enormous grove. The domed ceiling is covered in thick moss and roots. It is quite difficult to see where the dome ends, but from the ground up, at least 100ft high. The dome itself has a 200ft. radius. Patches of soil and grass fill the area as enormous trees stand around the dome, as if intertwined with its walls. At the center of the grove. Stands and enormous tree. Almost as high as the dome itself. This tree, however, has a vaguely humanoid shape. It's crown is almost gone, leaving just a multitude of branches and twigs. It's face looks like it was chiseled eons ago, with thick pieces of bark acting as eyebrows and and an enormous mouth, seemingly shut down for ages and now laced with moss. The creature has a multitude of roots that spread from his sides and get lost in the tangled walls of the dome.

Gigglemug flies towards the Shepherd.

"Shepherd! Wake up! We need to speak!"

The tree giant makes a hollow sound from within his wooden bowels and creaks and cracks are heard as his eyebrows adjust and two grey eyes fix upon the pixie and you.

"Gi..ggle..mugggg.." croaks the Shepherd.

"Why... are... you...hereeee"

11. - Top - End - #281

RedWizardGuy

Once the Dome is in sight, Xander casts Telepathic Bond on the party.

Mentally to whoever accepted.
    This is the plan I had devised thus far. Tarith do you have all the energy you will need for a potental encounter, or would you liek some of mine?
    Before we enter I will cause myself to go invisible, ensure I can see invisible beings as well, and follow Bishop and Dantie, if a trap is sprung, I will cast enlarge person on the two of you, witch I doubt they will expect from the three of you they see, afterward I will ensure it is simpler to hit whatever happens to be attacking us. I trust the disruption will allow the rest of you to easily handle the situation?

After ward Xander follows his plan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Each person can choose to not be on it. Sorry Bishop, I was hoping to do it telepathically, but we were progressing to the dome quickly, I'm heading to bed, night all.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie looks up as they arrive at the root wall. Sorry Xander I have been so Silent. I have just been thinking. Dantie says looking at the group with the wall of tree roots behind him. Though I do not have the spell prepared for today I do know of it, and with the new bed we have bought I could get it quickly if needed be. But... Dantie says stressing the word I see it as a bad idea. I see any spell in which affects the mind to be, how do I put this, unpleasant. I understand that sometimes it is called for. As an inquisitor, trust me I know. But also as an Inquisitor of Pelor I know that magic is not always the path. If we use magic to convince him or affect his mind in any way he may not know then, but eventually he will. But if you speak the truth to him, and try to remind him of who he was then maybe he may try to be what he was. Trying to force him will only start a war. He has offered us safe passage to the goddess. I suggest we try to find her, and when we come to her we wait for him at the gate so that we together can go to her. This way his darkness is lifted and with his help we can destroy the lich. Dantie says to the group as a whole. Then he turns back to the opening and says, Well no time is better then the present now is it. and walks into the grove.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry everyone woke up late almost was late for work because of it then had to stay late. Hope it does not happen again. Again sorry.

13. - Top - End - #283

GreenSorcererElf

Mental: Seems like a plan. I should have enough magic for this fight, seeing as if we need it, I can steal it from our opponents. Dantie, you should handle talking to the tree.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-16 at 10:10 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: The Shepherd leans over slightly looking at the group below.

"Who enters...my...groveee? Whatttt... do you ...ssseekkk."

15. - Top - End - #285

@Sheperd
    Bishop responds to the Sheperd's question about what they want, "Do you grant wishes?"
    Intelligent doors FTW

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: Gigglemug turns around and looks at you with a pale face and a priceless expression of panic.

"Excuse this traveler, wise one. He is not of right mind."

The Shepherd makes a low groaning sound and creaks and cracks are heard as his eyebrows adjust his gaze towards you.

"I am...nooo genie... little traveler... If wishes are what... you ssseekkk... thisss is the...wrong placeeeee."

17. - Top - End - #287

Bishop turns around and faces the party, overflowing with disappointment and says, "This isn't a wish granting tree....."
    Intelligent doors FTW

18. - Top - End - #288

GreenSorcererElf

"Bishop, looks like you went barking up the wrong tree. Better luck next time. Shepherd, would you be willing to aid the forest against Bailon and his undead allies?"

Spoiler
    Show

Joke was too good to pass up.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #289

Spoiler
    Show
    Love the joke
    Intelligent doors FTW

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: Gigglemug flies in close to you.

"You are in the presence of a great spirit! Show some respect! He is all-knowing!"

The Shepherd releases a blast of wind which can be interpreted as a sigh.

"If nooo...one.. hasss. anything to say...."

21. - Top - End - #291

GreenSorcererElf

"Shepherd. We. Need. Your. Help."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The Shepherd's body cracks and splinters as he stretches a bit.

"Balion, you sayyy... undead allies...Go on...tell me more, little traveler..."

23. - Top - End - #293

GreenSorcererElf

"We don't know a lot more. What we do know is that there is a lich, one who converts water into salt, and I believe that he is trying to gain control of this goddess. Bailon is helping him to exterminate the fey in the forest. The lich is re-animating the fallen, and using them to kill more things. Defeating them both is probably beyond our power without help. I am unsure of Bailon's motivations, beyond insanity."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The Shepherd leans back and you see pieces of bark fall off as he does so.

"Balion... he swore to protect the little one. The Radiant Child. Now he destroys without cause. An imbalance most dire. Beyond my grove lies his domain. A crude house and a blasted wasteland."

The Shepherd looks up towards the ceiling of his dome.

"I..have felt the decay in the soil. The winds carry a foul stench. An unnatural one."

A few more pieces of bark fall from him.

"What else do you wish to know, little traveler."

25. - Top - End - #295

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, the main thing we need is a way to defeat Bailon and the lich. Do you know of a way to do so?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Balion is a force to be reckoned with. Yet his weakness lies with her. If you can use that, then maybe you may have an edge against him."

@The Party: The entrance behind you shuts close and two trees uproot themselves.

"As for Kazym... let's just say he came here earlier. I have found a way to preserve my wisdom and life, even beyond that of my kind..."

More pieces of bark fall off him.

"Accept the ruin of this forest, little travelers, just like the Eastern Coven did..."

The Shepherd's bark blackens and where it fell, a stony texture can be seen. His eyes become pitch black as he roars, a sound the trees behind you emulate.

"Sh...Shepherd?" Gigglemug backs away in fear and shock.

"No... You're the Gnarled Shepherd now."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

O great Shepherd please excuse them, they are not men of faith as I. We have been sent here to ask for your guidance and help in matters most unsettling. But some light has transpired since we first set out to see you. Dantie says to the great tree.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+21)[30] diplomacy roll.

You see on our way here we spoke with this fallen guardian, and it seems, that though he has done wrong, he has only done so to once again see this goddess. He offered us safe passage to her, which I suspect is against what the lich wants him to do. Your student is not lost, he is merely heart sick and wishes to see her again which has been denied to him by the other guardians up until now.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+21)[29] Diplomacy roll

Letting that sink in Dantie then asked, Could you tell us about this blight that has befallen you, and anything you can about the goddess that fell to our world into your embrace. Dantie asks the old wise tree hoping that he can shed some light on the information.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+21)[38] diplomacy roll. Calm down Tarith give me time to post, after all you asked me to. I got company over and I'm trying to check every hour. And are you kidding i did all that work and got those great rolls for nothing
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-10-16 at 11:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298

GreenSorcererElf

will await results of Dantie's before taking action/
    Spoiler
    Show

"Looks like your trade off will cost you your existence. It would have been better to at least try to fight, than surrender all that you were. Undeath is not worth it."

Acting quickly, Tarith throws alchemists fire at the tree's eyes, seeking to strike fast and hard.

Spoiler
    Show

I am figuring that an undead tree will be rather... dry, and thus, readily burnable. Additionally, hoping that burning the face off of the tree will count as a sneak attack. Will roll additional damage in the ooc.
    fire damage(1d6)[2]
    attack(1d20+21)[41]

Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-16 at 11:17 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The Gnarled Shepherd roars again.

"The sand walker has gifted me with tremendous strength. I cannot be undone! His word is law and soon, all of you shall bow before him. Just like that harlot I took in so many years ago!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone able to, Roll a Spot Check

30. - Top - End - #300

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Spot(1d20+16)[32]
    Was expecting a reply to Dantie before a reply to Tarith's attempt to do something, seeing as I did not realize dantie had posted until after I had.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss