New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

@Tarith: You see something high above the dome, covered in moss. Hard to see, but there are four of them and spread unevenly on the roof. Like an amber cocoon.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You look at the Gnarled Shepherd imposing, yet decayed form. Stone has replaced certain parts of his wooden body, while gnats and maggots bore through the creature's eyes and mouth. The trees behind you, although stripped from leaves, do not show that level of decay.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Gnarled Shepherd has fallen victim to a powerful spell. A ritual performed by very fell casters that can strip the mind of the victim and alter its skin infusing it with elemental properties and those of the Negative Energy Plane. The Gnarled Shepherd is a Necromental.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie sees at last what has become of the once great guardian and takes out his mace and holy symbol. You are wrong ancient. All can be undone. Even him. and with that Dantie lifts his holy symbol into the air invoking pelors might through it at the creature before them. From it comes a golden glow of light that looks like pure divine energy.

Spoiler
    Show
    When in doubt cast your most powerful healing spell. I cast heal dealing 110 +half of that because of it being a healing spell so 165 damage will save negates it says but then again it is being used as an attack so... speaking of which (1d20+9)[24] against touch AC because I have to be touching the tree. so yea It should be almost dead.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You manage to get close enough to actually place your hand on the Gnarled Shepherd.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save for half damage (1d20+12)[18]

The Gnarled Shepherd laughs as the light cracks through him.

"Foolish cleric! I told you already. I cannot be unmade! I am connected to these woods. Even more so now that they are rotten! None of you shall leave my grove alive!"

You look at the Gnarled Shepherd and try to point out what has Kazym done to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    The lich has used a most foul ritual on the treant. This ritual strips the creature of his life-force and imbues him with both negative energy and elemental attributes, making it very dangerous against elementals, which the creature may pass the curse to. These rare abominations were first created by ancient gods of decay and elemental lords, in a grim display of unnatural mastery. Sadly, the ritual leaves sentient creatures maddened, sometimes, even beholden to the creator. No known cure exists for this malady except divine intervention. The Gnarled Shepherd, however, seems to have something else that keeps him standing despite the tremendous surge of positive energy on his body.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-17 at 05:15 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bishop grabs his scythe with both hands, moves towards one of the trees, attacks, then moves back as far as he can.

Spoiler
    Show

Attacking one of the trees, not the Sheperd.

Bishop's speed is 60 ft. and he is using Spring Attack, so he will move in, attack, then move away the rest of his remaining speed in distance.

Attack:
    (1d20+19)[38]

Damage:
    [roll]2d8+13[/roll]
    Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-17 at 05:52 AM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

6. - Top - End - #306

Spoiler
    Show

Damage roll got messed up.
    [roll0]
    Intelligent doors FTW

7. - Top - End - #307

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously.....

(2d8+13)[21]

Intelligent doors FTW

8. - Top - End - #308

RedWizardGuy

Xander says to Dantie before reaching the grove
    The man is clearly sick, I would think of it as using the spell to temporarily relieve his ailment. however seeing as it is you who would be casting the spell and speaking it is your choice to use the magic or not.

Mentally
    Well this went just how was expected.

Xander casts his spell as quietly as possible, hoping that in the battle no one notices where he is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xander casts Enlarge person on Bishop, Chaining it to Dantie. Initiative (1d20+1)[17]
    Spot (1d20+0)[7] Knowledge nature (1d20+15)[32] knowledge aranca (1d20+21)[28] spellcraft (1d20+21)[26](looking for active effects) the rest directed at the gnarled shepherd, and the cocoons above.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-10-17 at 08:56 AM.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

9. - Top - End - #309
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Fighting a tree is not my style. I think it is time to investigate those amber cocoons.
    Tarith casts fly, and flies up to the cocoons, and looks at them from a closer range.

Spoiler
    Show

spot(1d20+16)[20]
    listen(1d20+16)[17]
    if would get aao. tumble to avoic(dc 15)(1d20+11)[17]
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok so now its trees turn then Tarith went with the fly for round 2. On my round two I already have damage and such rolled in OOC so I hope that helps speed things up this is my last post before work. Because it is an elemental my turns work against it.

Dantie surprised that the being is still standing looks at it and says. You have only withstood one of many ways to get rid of you. And with that Dantie holds his holy symbol up in front on it trying to weaken it.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: The Gnarled Shepherd Looks down at you and brings his fists upon you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack1: Slam (1d20+28)[31] damage (2d8+15)[24]

Attack2: Slam (1d20+28)[39] damage (2d8+15)[26]

"To face your own foolish mortality within the bowels of my forest. You ought to be honored!"

@Bishop: You slash at the tree and move away. The tree convulses in what can be interpreted as pain and charges at you

Spoiler
    Show
    Tree1: slam (1d20+14)[15] damage C

@Tarith: You begin to ascend vertically towards the top of the dome. The spell casts true, but you wish it could carry you faster. The other tree charges at you, intent on smacking you.

I'm assuming you have a light load, which would enable you to fly 60ft. However, since you're flying vertically, you ascend 30ft. Well within range of the regular tree's attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tree2: slam (1d20+14)[18] damage (1d20+14)[18]

@Xander: You are still invisible and watch Bishop and Dantie become as large as ogres, while Traith begins his ascension towards the top of the dome. You do notice the top and spot 4 glowing embers at its peak, covered by moss and roots. The roots extend in a myriad ways across the dome and the grove, connecting to the Shepherd.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-17 at 02:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312

GreenSorcererElf

Easily evading the tree's feeble attack, Tarith continues flying towards the top of the dome, hoping to sever the roots at the top of the dome.

Spoiler
    Show

If Tarith has enough movement to get up there, and attack, he will try to sever the roots, using his bastard sword.

attack(1d20+12)[23]
    damage(1d10+4)[10]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #313

Bishop notices that the tree is getting smaller is it gets closer to him, after it misses him with its attack, Bishop unleashes a flurry of attacks on the tree with his wooden scythe in both hands.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack 1:
    (1d20+15)[19]

Damage 1:
    (2d6+16)[22]
    +
    (1d8)[2]

Attack 2:
    (1d20+15)[19]

Damage 2:
    (2d8+16)[25]
    +
    (1d8)[3]

Attack 3:
    (1d20+10)[15]

Damage 3:
    (2d8+16)[23]
    +
    (1d8)[2]

Snap Kick:
    (1d20+15)[31]

Snap Kick Damage:
    (2d6+6)[14]

*Horrible attack rolls
    Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-17 at 02:59 PM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You ascend another 30ft. The top of the dome is just barely 40ft. away from you. You can see now that these cocoons are scattered at different place: One is directly above you, 40ft. up. Another is 40ft. to it's right. The third is 60ft. to the left. The fourth and final cocoon is 80ft to the right of the first, behind the Gnarled Shepherd.

@Dantie: You invoke Pelor's might and the grove lights up.

"Aughhhhh...That light!!!"

The Gnarled Shepherd writhes about. He is unharmed, but his sudden movements have caused the roots that connect him to the top of the dome to become untangled, as it were.

@Tarith: At that moment. You see it. The moss parts and the roots distend, revealing the cocoons. You can see from your position that they are made of crystallized amber. You get a good glimpse of what's inside.

Dryads are held in stasis inside each cocoon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rounds before the cocoons return to their protective stance (1d4)[2](2) rounds

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: You swing your scythe around, but are unable to strike the tree. Remembering your teachings, you decide a good kick solves everything. The tree gets your foot print nicely embedded on its bark, but shrugs the pain. Both trees attempt to strike you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tree1: Slam (1d20+12)[18] damage (2d6+9)[19]
    Slam (1d20+12)[23] damage (2d6+9)[11]

Tree2: Slam (1d20+12)[13] damage (2d6+9)[17]
    Slam (1d20+12)[27] damage (2d6+9)[16]

@Tarith: The Gnarled Shepherd looks at the cocoons and sees you flying towards them.

"Get away from them!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Slam (1d20+27)[35] damage (2d8+14)[18]

He then pants and looks extremely tired from Dantie's turning.

16. - Top - End - #316

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Tarith should have another move action available, seeing as he did not take a standard action, so he would continue to climb, which would probably put him out of reach. (action economy in action. Stealing an action is never a good idea)

Tarith continues to fly towards the cocoon to the left, reaching it(60ft move speed). As the Gnarled Shepard tries to swat him as he passes, he seems to disappear, re-appearing out of reach.

Spoiler
    Show

using anklets of translocation to evade the tree's attack. Really should have remembered to turn on the ring.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You are already facing one of the cocoons as the Gnarled Shepherd's claws seems to hit you, but your anklets save you from potential harm. As you examine the cocoon. You see it's hard to the touch. Its interior seems to be filled with a black fluid. The dryad inside has a myriad of tiny roots that pump its energy towards the large root connecting the Shepherd. As you place your hands on the cocoon, the Dryad opens her eyes and turns her head towards you.

"This keeps him alive! The shroud turned the Shepherd. His life is tied to ours!"

18. - Top - End - #318

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, let's see if I can break that effect."

Tarith tries to sever the main root connecting the Dryad to the tree.

Spoiler
    Show

Hoping that this will do it. If there is too much damage, then will try to break the amber as well.
    bastard sword(1d20+11)[24] damage(1d10+4)[11]
    bastard sword(1d20+11)[15] damage(1d10+4)[5]
    bastard sword(1d20+6)[15] damage(1d10+4)[9]
    dagger(1d20+19)[24] damage(1d4-1)[0]
    dagger(1d20+14)[20] damage(1d4-1)[0]
    Assuming no magebane, and no sneak attack here. If that is not the case, please tell me.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #319

Bishop continues his attacks on the same tree.

Spoiler
    Show

Bishop is hit by tree 2's second slam.

Attack 1:
    (1d20+15)[32]

Damage 1:
    (2d6+16)[21]
    +
    (1d8)[7]

Attack 2:
    (1d20+15)[22]

Damage 2:
    (2d6+16)[24]
    +
    (1d8)[7]

Attack 3:
    (1d20+10)[16]

Damage 3:
    (2d6+6)[14]
    +
    (1d8)[1]

Snap Kick:
    (1d20+15)[28]

Snap Kick Damage: (Should be 16 damage, not 21 (+11 not +16))
    (2d6+16)[21]

Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-17 at 03:49 PM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You strike the main root, but as you hack it, it rebuilds itself immediately.

"You need to strike us, warrior! It is the only way..."

@Bishop: This time, your attacks hit true. The tree emits a piercing scream as he twitches for the last time and cracks apart, leaving a field of splinters.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-17 at 04:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

RedWizardGuy

Mentally(Or out loud if Bishop is not a part of the link.)
    Bishop, can you get one of those trees about 10 feet closer to the gnarled shepherd? That way I effect all of them with my spell.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok I took 50 damage. On my turn which would be now I gain 3 bringing me to 9hp. Wow that was close. And as long as those trees where within 60ft. Of dantie they are effected as well. The cocoons I'm not to sure on.

As Dantie sees the light fighting to get through the dome above he knows that it will take a second time, but hopes that he will survive fearing the attack to come. As he is waiting for it to come though he opens his eyes to only see himself grow in size to almost match the height of the guardian. And as the attacks hit, though the force behind them is strong he holds his ground. Spitting out blood from his mouth Dantie looks to the tree. Nice hit, Lets see you do it again you coward. Dantie said taunting the tree hoping to distract it from Tarith. As he does this he casts a protective spell around him so that he can not be harmed for as long as he does not attack anyone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok activated Sanctuary as a standard action, and as a free action I am activating my family domain ability. Everyone get +4 to AC. Move action is wasted. Saying I know nothing that is a move action that I can do.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You grow up in size to that of an ogre. Although smaller than the Gnarled Shepherd, you should be able to srike him down harder, especially with your spell cast.

"My pupil once said. Might makes Right. I counseled him against such reasoning. Now I see the folly of my views." The Gnarled Shepherd is now kneeling on one knee. Whatever you did a few seconds earlier has weakened him. He attempts to strike you.

The Gnarled Shepherd attempts to strike you down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slam1: (1d20+27)[30] Will save to bypass Sanctuary (1d20+12)[32] damage (2d8+14)[29]

@Bishop: The tree lunges at you with his branches, mimicking his master.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slam1: (1d20+12)[28] damage (2d6+9)[12]

Slam2: (1d20+12)[25] damage (2d6+9)[18]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-17 at 07:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have fallen and well yea.

25. - Top - End - #325

Bishop then turns his attention to the Treant that has him one more time, and attacks it.

Spoiler
    Show

Bishop was hit by the 28 that the Treant rolled.

Attack 1:
    (1d20+15)[28]

Damage 1:
    (2d6+16)[24]
    +
    (1d8)[7]

Attack 2:
    (1d20+15)[29]

Damage 2:
    (2d6+16)[24]
    +
    (1d8)[5]

Attack 3:
    (1d20+10)[20]

Damage 3:
    (2d6+6)[16]
    +
    (1d8)[1]

Snap Kick:
    (1d20+15)[30]

Damage 1:
    (2d6+16)[19]

Intelligent doors FTW

26. - Top - End - #326

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith activates his ring of blinking, and attempts to walk through the cocoon to retrieve the Dryad.

Spoiler
    Show

I am assuming that she is 5 feet in front of him, and I can try multiple times.
    so...
    1-50 means failure
    (1d100)[44] damage(1d6)[6]
    (1d100)[63] damage(1d6)[4]
    (1d100)[48] damage(1d6)[1]
    (1d100)[56] damage(1d6)[5]
    (1d100)[65] damage(1d6)[4]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #327

GreenSorcererElf

To party:
    There are dryads in the cocoons in the heights that give power to the tree. I don't think we will be able to kill him without destroying those cocoons or saving the dryads.

Spoiler
    Show

As a side note, I have a better plan for rescuing the next one: bag of tricks+ benign transposition :)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: You swing your scythe masterfully at the animated tree, finishing with a kick. Your foot slices through the creature cutting it almost in a perfect half.

@Tarith: The dryad places her hands on the cocoon as you begin to enter and hold on to her.

"The shroud has bound us to the Shepherd. Each of us heals him and gives him strength. Only her divine light can expose us from the roots. Is she here with you? Do not worry about us. Take us out of here. Our lives will end, due to the ritual that monster cast, but at least The Shepherd will be free as well."

@The Party: As Dantie lies dead at the feet of the Gnarled Shepherd, Gigglemug appears right next to him. He looks up at the decayed treant.

"Shame on you, Shepherd! I trusted you!"

Gigglemug shuts his eyes and vanishes away into the Grove's entrance, carrying Dantie along.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-17 at 07:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329

GreenSorcererElf

"Divine light is needed to free the dryads from the roots. The dryad thinks it is just the Goddesses light, but Dantie managed it, so possibly just a priest's light. We need him alive"

"I am sorry. I hope you will survive this method of leaving, but you may be right"

Tarith grabs her, and pulls her out

Spoiler
    Show

Going to all the effort of freeing the dryads without breaking the cocoons, they could at least survive...
    Would it be possible to just combine the bag of tricks, and the wand of benign transposition to swap them out?(use spot to see through the roots)

Hoping that Tarith can grab them as part of his move action, and move out as well.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You pull out the dryad, but realize Kazym's ritual is cruel. It creates an empathic bond between the power source and he who is powered by it. As you pull her out, you hear the snapping of roots attached to the dryad's back. The fey clenches her teeth as you pull her out, dripping tears through here eyes.

"I'm sorry, Shepherd. May the Forest welcome you back one day."

You hold in your arms the dryad. Her skin tone is grey, drained of life. Black ichor pours from the cocoon as one of the main roots snakes wildly in the air.

The Gnarled Shepherd looks up in rage and pain.

"No more games!"

The other three cocoons are pushed back into their protective roots.

@Xander: You are still invisible and watch Gigglemug transport Dantie's body close to you.

"Ok...ok. Azakiel said to use this...but how?"

You see Gigglemug attempt to read a scroll.