New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

@Tarith: "The Shepherd collected items brought as gifts from the Covens. I believe he kept them buried beneath the grove."

The dryad lifts her arm and points towards a mound where the Shepherd stood initially. Giggle mug flies towards the area and uncovers a wooden box, wrapped in leaves and moss.

"Maybe this is it?"

Inside you the box, you find:

Spoiler
    Show
    2 scrolls
    1 blue gem
    amulet
    30 acorns fashioned from pure gold
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-18 at 07:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: "I haven't been to the Seal itself, but the Thorn Gate is deeper into the woods, past Old Balion's cabin. Beyond the gate lies the Goddess' Path. At the end of it, the Seal is supposed to reside."

The dryad begins to dry up. Her time is almost up.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As the Shepherd dies.
    A shame we had not arrive before the lich, that creature must have known much witch is now lost to the world.

Xander ends the invisibility on himself when he approaches the group. An excited tone in his voice.
    If The Shepherds knowledge is now within you that means it still exists. We can not allow you to meet your end here.
    Xander looks to Dantie. Do you have anything you can do to save her?

After listening to the conversation.
    It occurs to me, you have been very informative so far, and yet we have not done you the honor of asking your name.
    While on the topic of names, you mentioned the name Nerine, we know of a Nerine perhaps the are one in the same, I fear however she may be in liege with this lich as well, would you be able to elaborate further regarding the one you knew?
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-10-18 at 08:31 PM.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: The dryad looks up at you from her prone position.

"I am Casyllyn of the Eastern Coven. My sisters and I came here for aid when the shroud attacked us. regarding Nerine... she belonged to our Coven. That was many years ago. She was a gracious nymph and one devoted to the forest and its care. However, when she met Arrallae, something in her went sour. Jealousy, I believe. She was always antagonistic towards her, even though the feelings weren't mutual. Arrallae attempted many times to befriend her, but Nerine spurned her desires for camaraderie. It was then that Nerine decided to do the unthinkable: She tried to kill Arrallae, claiming she was an usurper of sorts. The Coven voted and thus, Nerine was banished along with another of our kind. She has never been seen here again."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Mentally
    And the other would be Myriam. Looks like we have some useful information, if we wish to get the lich and Bailon to fight.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Tarith for playing me, though surprised you did not keep going until I was back. Ok time to post.

As Dantie looks to the dieing Dryad he looks to Xander and replies, My knowledge in the fey is very limited, and though I am confident in my powers I fear she may be to far gone. But I will try. Dantie then cast 4 spells in quick succession. Hoping the first one would cure her of what the lich did and the others would heal her. While he is casting the spells he asks Tarith to pour some water into her mouth.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok I am casting remove curse Will save DC 17 for it not to pass. Then Bless water and Cure light wounds for (1d8+5)[12] positive energy and restoration after remove curse if he thinks it did not work.

Once he is done casting spells he looks at the dryad and asks Could any of these acorns bring the shepherd back to life as he once was.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-10-18 at 09:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You cast the spells on the Casyllyn and notice the grey pallour on her skin begin to wash away, like crusted dirt on fine porcelain under running water. The dryad's health returns and she stands up bowing to you.

"You have my thanks, traveler. And that of my Coven. I shall see to it that all of you are remembered in our ballads."

She looks at Gigglemug.

"Thank you. Had you not lead them here, who knows how much longer The Shepherd would've suffered."

He then turns to all of you.

"What will you do now?"

You can accept your fate and rot in silence

Above the remains of the Gnarled Shepherd a ghostly visage of the lich manifests. He looks at all of you with utter contempt.

I hope you enjoyed playing with my pet.

8. - Top - End - #398

GreenSorcererElf

"I think I will search this area for anything else of use, and then burn this dome to the ground. Too much death here, and I would rather not fight that tree again, should it rise. After that, we have the heart of the shepherd, but we still need Anzaril's fang, and Gundersnatch's rose. I think the next step is getting the fang. Will you be all right getting back to the Western Coven?"

Putting words into action, Tarith searches the dome from top to bottom.
    search(1d20+20)[25]

@The Lich Manifestation
    Tarith steals the spell.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-18 at 09:41 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You attempt to steal the mirage, but it's being projected from a far distance. A programmed image left to trigger upon the monster's demise.

10. - Top - End - #400

GreenSorcererElf

Smoke and mirrors. Still it was worth a try
    Tarith resumes searching the dome
    search(1d20+20)[25]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #401

RedWizardGuy

Thank you Casylln, we will do all we can in order to restore your health. would you say your coven is within 800 ft of here?

This Nerine you speak of sounds much the same as the one we know, and I am afraid she still acts as foolishly as when you knew her, I suspect she may have told this lich about Arrallae in hopes he would destroy the very woman she failed to kill so long ago.

So Nerine and Myriam, get banished for trying to kill this goddess, Arrallae, the two of them split up at some point, and Nerine becomes apprenticed to Varien, who I suspect until recently worked for this lich, Kazym. Although Nerine must have told Kazym about Arrallae at some point, I suspect Nerine must have something to gain from the despoiling of her former home...or could it be as simple as revenge. At least that is my current conclusion. and would explain why Myriam asked we not bring up her name to any of her sisters.

Spoiler
    Show
    I love having the ability to have a conversation with people and have a separate secret conversation with the party. Tracking down all the names and checking which knew took a bit, time to add them to my character sheet now I think. (Spell lasts 110 min right now, I'm going to permanent it at some point, probably when I can chain the permanent spell and hit all the links for one XP cost.)

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #402

GreenSorcererElf

Mentally
    I agree Xander. If we get the chance to speak with the druid again, I might be able to convince him that the Lich is trying to destroy the goddess, which, hopefully, will get them to fight.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: Cassylyn hides behind you as the image appears above the remains of the Shepherd.

"That's the monster that attacked our Coven! Foul One! Leave this forest alone!"

Why would I do that? You make fine subjects

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

As Dantie sees the Dryad return back to her normal self he bows to her and with a smile says It seems what aids those that are mortal also heals the fey. Thank you for teaching me this. Just then he sees the image of the lich and Sends a blast of holy energy at it. Be gone foul beast, your time shall soon come. Dantie says to it as the light subsides and he sees that it is only a programmed image and nothing more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Used a turn attempt, will roll it though just for effects, after all never know what could happen. (1d20+9)[28] turning check (1d20+16)[19] turning damage.

I think it would be wise to first allow me to contact someone. Dantie says to the group before casting the spell message to the guardian Balion. I do not know if you know this or not, but he turned your mentor into a undead abomination, and revealed that he plans on hurting Arralle. We need to talk. and with that the message is sent to the guardian of the woods.

15. - Top - End - #405

GreenSorcererElf

"You will do so, or you will be destroyed, and all your plans destroyed with you. Heard from Varian lately? Perhaps from a rather psychopathic nymph? You are on my list."

(1d20+21)[24] bluff
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #406

RedWizardGuy

Once the lich manifests.
    This lich will be a interesting one to meet, his mastery of the arts is clearly great. It is unfortunate however he only seems to use his abilities to destroy and despoil. Tarith, do you beleive your ability to steal spells from your enemies will be strong enough should we battle him?

Kazym, your course of action here confounds me, what interest could a goddess of the woods be to a being such as yourself, it seems like more work than it is worth, and your time would better be spent in study, or some such work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+21)[31] Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+12)[14] Spellcraft (1d20+21)[22] First two at Kazym, last at the spell.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-10-18 at 10:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407

GreenSorcererElf

Probably not, as I can steal up to 6th level spells currently. I am working on another trick, to allow me to learn his entire spell list, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: You look at Kazym and study his persona. Your mind races back to the advanced lessons on esoterica, regarding the animation of intelligent undead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kazym is a Lich. However, unlike regular liches, Kazym renounced life and embraced undeath through an obscure art of mummification. This has granted him powers beyond that of a normal spellcaster. Worse still, Kazym can never be trully killed, even by lich standrads, since this type of lich, the Dry Lich, splits its essence into six receptacles. And only the gods know where they are.

"My, what a fine speaker. Yet for all your pleasantries, you lack vision mage. Knowledge is what I am seeking, even here. In this fetid fey land. Knowledge the likes no one has ever gleaned into before."

@Tarith: "Is that so? Varian was only second rate. They should've sent someone more qualified. Yet you have killed one of them. Little pigeon, he called you, yes? Hehehehe... You are already a dead man, Spellbane. You just didn't get the note."

@Dantie: You send your message into the woods, hoping to get a response.

"The Shepherd has fallen, then... and you say it was who?"

19. - Top - End - #409

GreenSorcererElf

"Why don't you come and deliver it then? or are you too afraid to do so?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Me? You have me confused, Spellbane. I don't deal with the garbage. That's what Cecile and Basil are for. It's been fun seeing you here. I do hope that little dryad makes it safely. I heard the woods are prowling with the undead. I do hope, my sweet, sweet Cassylyn that this experience doesn't scar you for life. So long, insects."

The image vanishes.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

As Dantie receives the mental reply from Balion he sends a visual of what he can see, with the image of the lich standing over the once proud elder. Kazym has done this. I know this because he has said it both in a image he left for us, that I have shown you in this message, and through one of the dryads that survived the ritual he performed. He plans on killing her Balion. As he tried to have the shepherd do to me. She saved me though and sent me back. Balion be careful, he is out to kill everything it seems, and is only using you to get what he wants. We can save her though, me and my friends know the way to her grove, but your barrier will be in the way. Can you meet us their without him knowing? Dantie asks Balion, trusting the old druid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alan turn attempt did nothing? (1d20+21)[36] diplomacy And to everyone, yea i know crazy to trust him, but playing Dantie as he is. He got through to the sane half before.

As he sends the message to Balion he speaks softly to the dryad, It is only some sort of magic, he is not here do not be afraid. He withholds the information though that he is talking to Balion though as to not scare her. Then to Xander he says Mage you are walking a dangerous path, I advise you not compliment the dead and those who do not respect their final rest. Next time you will not get off so easily. through the telepathic bond.

22. - Top - End - #412

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, that was informative. This lich is not very good at taunting. He gave away information that he should not have, in an effort to make me angry. First, he revealed that he is a lacky, to someone else, presumably, more powerful, as the said "They should have sent someone more qualified". However, Varian was a member of this group, so it is likly a group of equals working towards something. Second, he revealed that Nerine did indeed survive, as that is the only way he could have learned the little pigeon bit. Third, he said that Basil and Cecile are both here, and fourth, he has a trap planned for Cassylyn, so she should choose a more sneaky route."

Tarith shakes his head in disappointment over how pathetic the lich's taunts were.

"Pathetic. The average child could do better. But we did learn a key piece of information: The events here, and the events in Justcrown are part of a greater whole. We need to find out what that goal is."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-18 at 10:49 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #413

Bishop hears the others talking and gets bored, as he is too lazy to listen to everyone. He then starts working on making his undead wooden weapons. He begins to carve out a ranseur, when finished with it he begins to work on crafting a guisarme out of one of the other long branches, saving the two remaining branches for later.
    Intelligent doors FTW

24. - Top - End - #414

RedWizardGuy

Dantie, I am afraid you are mistaken, I do not believe I paid the lich a complement, I simply wondered why the he chooses to waste his time despoiling this forest so far from any adequate home for one such as he, but seeing as he has spoken of others he works with, the choice to come to this exact area may not have been his own. It however does not excuse his actions while here. Besides, complements more often aid in gaining more useful information than not. Did your church not inform you of the old proverb regarding catching more bees with honey, rather than with vinegar?
    Tarith, I believe you are correct in relating the two locations to each other, there goal in Justcrown seemed to be the halfling, while there goal here would most presumably be the goddess, both creatures they seek boast powerful and mysterious powers, I wonder how they are hoping to use the two creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415

GreenSorcererElf

We do need to figure out how they are hoping to use them, and why. If we can do that, we might be able to learn their targets, and be able to predict their movements, which is always a good positions to be in.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing the blasphemy coming out of Xanders mouth Dantie replies, Any person calling himself a follower of Pelor, or even an educated man knows that we do not tolerate undead. Even the dead know it and thus try to stay away. It is our job to destroy them. Being caught talking to one about anything but destroying it is punishable by death. We represent life, not the balance Xander. So no my church did not teach us to use honey with those who do not belong on this world, or any other for that matter. They taught me how to destroy them. And its what I plan to do, no matter how much knowledge or information he has. Dantie sends mentally, making it very clear his outlook on the undead and that if the mage gets in his way that he will become an enemy. Then to Tariths idea Dantie adds. Perhaps I may know what one of their targets will be then. Dantie says remembering the tales he heard of the sea witch and the bounty on her head. They call her the sea witch, and I do not believe anyone has survived one of her attack's before. Dantie says through the link. While this is going on he waits for Balions reply, hoping the old druid has not tried to take the lich on alone.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: As you are discussing phillosophical points of view with Xander, Old Balion taps into your mind.

"Dantie Silva, I see you have entered my mentor's grove and put him to rest. I knew Kazym had paid him a visit. I did not know, however, that he had performed such a ritual on him. I am looking at the lich now, he has remained silent, as in a trance. I assume he was conversing with you.

I am.... shaken, at the loss of my mentor, Dantie. Although he oppossed me in may occasions, it was he who taught me the arts of the forest. However, because he fell. Because he was destroyed despite the fact that foul Kazym was able to make him stronger, proves my earlier point, Dantie. Your might made it right. You have passed the first of my trials. Go on, Silva. That you may prove me right again."

28. - Top - End - #418

GreenSorcererElf

"Dantie, we got more information out of the lich. I would categorize this as a win. Sometimes, the greater good requires the bending of a few rules. Besides, If we can't find out where he is, we can't destroy him. And if we can't learn where his phylacteries are, we still can't destroy him. As far as I know, he is the only one who knows where they are, so we do need to interrogate him."

After he finishes searching the dome, Tarith scatters oil all over it, in preparation of burning the place down.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You begin pouring oil around the grove. Casyllyn backs away.

"This is sacred ground! Or... was sacred ground. Please, if you are going to burn the area, do so responsibly. Old Balion already burns the forest at a daily rate. I will go to the Western Grove, since none are left in the Eastern one. Hopefully Uwellyn will be there. And don't worry about me. I can use the trees to move around. The monsters that prowl the woods will not find me. Not this time. Again, thank you very much for your help. I am in your debt."

Casyllyn steps out of the grove, bows to the remains of the Shepherd and walks into a nearby tree, vanishing out of sight.

30. - Top - End - #420

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith ignites the shepherd's body, followed by igniting the dome.

"Time to go."

I always did want to make a big bonfire...
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss