New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

A minute or two after Tarith ventures out on his own Bishop begins to cause a ruckus, smashing the maze walls with his sledge creating loud sounds from the impact of his godly strength and yelling at the top of his lungs, "I'M GOING TO DESTROY THIS STUPID MAZE AND ITS STUPID ROSES!!!"

Spoiler
    Show

Strength check:

(1d20+36)[39]

Damage:

(2d8+37)[46]

Not sure whether or not the 2 handed rule applies for strength checks like it does for damage 1.5 x strength, if not, then subtract 12 from the strength check.

Intelligent doors FTW

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok so saying that would be ten rounds of movement at the least for tarith he should hopefully be gone by then.

As Dantie sees Bishop start yelling and screaming Dantie walks over to one of the screeching shrooms. Once their he lays out all of the ruins from the night before in a line completely blocking the path so that if the thing were to try and pass it, it would be blown sky high. Once all of the them are finally laid out Dantie goes to the shroom and hits it with his morningstar trying to get it to scream.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[26] attack (1d20+4)[5] damage (sadly saying I have not made a knowledge check yet that would be relevant, and it is not undead so that is less damage but...) (2d6)[7] more damage if it is evil.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0] damage sorry no idea why I put 1d20 for damage.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok lets try this again..... [roll0] damage roll lets hope this time it works.

5. - Top - End - #545

RedWizardGuy

Dantie, the longest I can make a single of my invisibility spells lasts at the moment is only 20 minutes a casting, I can however cast the spell multiple times.

Once Dantie and Bishop begin making noise, Xander casts Invisibility.

Bishop, I do not have any spells that will create any more noticeable noise than your are already making yourself, I will keep watch for the creature.

Xander moves to a turn in the maze where he can keep a eye on bishop and Dantie, and also see down a separate path in order to give warning if he sees anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tarith I gave you a 5th and 1st lvl sorcerer slot, If the 0 lvl spells you got from Dantie don't count as valid spell slots to convert, you can take the remaining from me as well. (I haven't check the rule, just based off of math 6(spells)x0(lvl spells)=0(spell slots to convert))Spot (1d20+2)[11] Listen(1d20+2)[6]
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: You strike the outer walls of the hedge maze and yell to the top of your lungs. You manage to strike the roses. And these indeed are torn as your sledge strikes true. The impact sends a shudder down the entire maze and you hear multiple shrieks and a burst of pollen gas emit from the roses in the maze, as well as belching sounds. A deafening roar is heard within the maze.

@Tarith: You find yourself at the entrance of the maze and having walked a few paces ahead from the rest. The path splits in two- left and right, with a batch of mushrooms in a trance like state moving their caps to an unknown chant. The left path leads you 60 ft. into a dead end. The right path goes 60ft and takes a sharp let corner, taking you deeper into the maze. At that moment. You hear Bishop yell something about his distaste for roses and the entire hedge maze shudder as the bulb next to you belches in response and the mushrooms shriek with unearthly vocals. The pollen from the roses washes upon you from above, filling the entire passageway.

Spoiler
    Show
    This ability is a natural version of glitterdust DC 12 to avoid being blinded

Something deeper into the maze begins moving.

@Dantie: You place the rune covered parchments along the thorny floor, hopeful to attract the beast. Suddenly, Bishop's anger causes the area to shake and the shrooms to shriek, as well as a cloud of pollen to fall upon you

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 12 as above

@Xander: You cast invisbility and walk in, following Tarith (at least hopeful you can see him). Then, the pollen gas and the shrieking and the belching.

Spoiler
    Show
    DC 12, as above.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Tarith's save is higher than that, so fail only on a 1 (1d20+12)[13]
    ... so failsave. How long is he blinded for?
    as a side note, my last 3 d20's today have been 1's. an 1 in 8000 chance...

Left, to the dead end, or right, to go deeper. A difficult choice.

Tarith starts to head left, but the pollen blinds him, so he walks blindly to the left.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-21 at 01:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You walk around blindly through the maze. Tripping every other step (but not falling prone, thankfully) on the thorny vines that litter the ground. The shrieking mushrooms have not quieted down as you stumble your way through them. Although you cannot see, You can hear. And something big is coming your way, as you hear in the distance roots parting ways.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I have a +20 modifier so do I even need to roll? (1d20+20)[28] will save auto pass

As Dantie lays down the ruins he hears something move inside the maze and before he has time to react he is covered with spores from the plants around him. It seems like we will not be using invisibility for this. Xander do you have a spell to make utter darkness. Though we will not be able to see into it, the beast also will not be able to see. If you do put it at the junction you are at, right behind Tarith and come back here. Dantie says thinking that any thing that takes away this monsters advantage is better then facing it head on. Dantie then Casts Bless on himself and and his allies within the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bless goes out to 50ft. So it should hit Tarith as well as everyone else saying Dantie moved into the maze last turn. +1 on attack rolls and saves for 110 rounds. MAth may be wrong 11 minutes/6seconds

10. - Top - End - #550

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith tries to use water from his waterskin to wipe the pollen from his eyes.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #551

RedWizardGuy

Stop making noise, for a second. This pollen has disrupted our plan a bit, and it looks like Tarith got some of the pollen in his eyes and is having problems seeing as well. Xander raises his voice enough Tarith should hear him. Tarith, come back this way we will try to help.

Dantie, I do not have a spell for darkness, however I can however create a cloud of mist to obscure us from view.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You douse your water skin into your eyes in an attempt to wash off the pollen.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d2)[2](2) rounds taken off the initial 10 rounds of blindness as the water washes away the substance from your eyes.

@Xander: You follow Tarith as you watch him douse his head in water and notice something he hasn't as you turn the corner.

Close to him you see a dead their is a junction, going left and right. However, there is a pedestal made of roots and thorns. Three large roses have sprung on top of the pedestal.

13. - Top - End - #553

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith blindly wanders towards the voice.

Spoiler
    Show

(6 rounds left, I believe)
    for a cl 10 effect, those roses had a really low save value
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #554

RedWizardGuy

Xander casts Prestidigitation, and uses it to attempt to clean the pollen from the party.

I can try to get it off us this time, but if Tarith is heading deeper into the maze alone we will have to find a counter measure, perhaps something with the plants themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xander first tries to clean the Pollen from Tariths eyes, then Tarith himself, then himself, then Dantie, then Bishop. Knowledge Nature (1d20+15)[17]

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: You cast the spell and it seems to have effect on Tarith, as well as everyone else, but it does not remove the pollen's scent entirely. By looking at the hedge maze, this is what you conclude.

Spoiler
    Show
    -Balion must've bred this type of rose to have a symbiotic relationship with the mushrooms and the Rose Bearer. Apparently, the roses act normally, like any other rose, yet outside stimulus- such as noise and sudden movements, cause the roses to expel this pollen, which, at the same time, alerts whatever roams in the maze that there are intruders. The mushrooms react to nearby presences already, so the creature can locate it's presence through the sound the mushrooms emit, and the fact that the pollen leaves them vulnerable to being seen.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

As dantie sees everyone get covered in the spores he thinks for a second. Before smelling the pollen on them. Perhaps this beast uses the smell of the pollen to track its pray, and the sound of the mushrooms to pinpoint where to go. Then seeing Xander trying to take the pollen off of him Dantie holds up his hand. This may distract him from Tarith. Clear it off of him, but keep at least me covered. That way it comes towards me and not Tarith. And the mist may help. But for now lets wait to try to help Tarith. With that Dantie starts thinking about the spells he knows to see if any of the ones he has prepared for the day will help in this situation.

17. - Top - End - #557

RedWizardGuy

Very well, keeping it on you, and Bishop should help attract him without us having to further disturb the wall, I suspect the shock generated from Bishops blow may have set off some of these roses, that of the ground may be pressure sensitive.

If there are this many devices to aid in the creature locating us, I suspect the creature may not be able to see then, and uses the garden itself to augment his senses.

I do not have anything that would prevent the effect from happening again, but I suspect now that Tarith knows it is there he will aim to avoid falling prey to it a second time. Although just in case I believe the same spell as yesterday may be in order.

Tarith Close to where you were when the pollen hit you, the path split again. However, there is a pedestal made of roots and thorns. Three large roses have sprung on top of the pedestal.

Xander Casts Telepathic Bond on the party.(110 min)

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558

GreenSorcererElf

"The issue is the blinding, but with the knowledge that I have now, I should be able to prevent it from happening again. Xander, is there anything unusual about those roses? beyond their size."

Tarith will wait until he can see again, as sneaking around without eyes is not a good idea.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #559

RedWizardGuy

I did not take the time to study them I am afraid, I think It is safe to assume the roses that just release there pollen will be unable to effect us for some time, I will take a look.

Xander walks up to the corner and takes a good look at the Pedestal.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge nature (1d20+15)[25]

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie says mentally to everyone. I think we should back up to behind the wall of ruins I laid out, that way we will see it first. After all if you are correct Xander about it may be blind, then his stealth becomes all the more important.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: You take a good look at the three large roses on top of the pedestal. It would seem they act as switches. A control panel of sorts. By placing your hand on one of the roses, you may shift the walls in the maze. How do they work, however, is left to trial and error.

At that moment, the hedge wall a few feet away from you starts to part, not too quickly. A roar is felt from the other side of the wall, as the mushrooms shriek incessantly. Not too far away, a bulb, large enough to fit two men belches forth.

22. - Top - End - #562

GreenSorcererElf

"That sounds close. We need somewhere to evade this creature. Or we need to fight. In a fight I am useless, so can someone direct me to a safe location?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Xander get Tarith to safty. Bishop...I think we are almost up. Start drinking. Dantie says as he focuses walks up to the shrieking mushroom closet to were they entered the tree and then sets it off. All the time he is focusing his energy getting ready to blast the creature once it shows its face to get its attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[10] Initiative. Its sad my trisalt level 8 halfling has a + 17 or so and i only have +2 XD

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm assuming he's still outside the hedge maze.

Gigglemug almost falls off the leaning posture he had o the archway as he hears the roars inside the maze.

"Well...I think you got its attention. Good job."

Gigglemug vanishes.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You look at the rose maze and focus on what you have learned in your past travels, dealing with plant creatures and druids. This si what you know from this place.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The garden has supernatural properties. One of them has already been observed. The ability to emulate an arcane spell. It is quite probable that the roses furher in have other properties that affect the senses. Regarding the Rose Bearer, this is a creature that can move through thorny walls unscathed and without the use of magic. A creature that may, in fact, be made of a thorns itself. Balion wrote in his ledger about a creation of his, one passed down by the Shepherd. Casyllyn mentioned that one of the trials held a creature known as Gundersnatch, a plant-like creature.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile, in Justcrown...

A soldier rushes through Temple District. He tries to hide his fear so as to not alert the citizens, but the crowd knows better- this man is terribly frightened. He stops and catches his breath in front of Pelor's Church, composes himself and knocks on the door. Rosalind opens.

"Welcome, sir. Do you need any..."

"We are under attack!", interrupts the soldier. "From the forest. Walking corpses! We sent a small patrol to deal with them, but they're dead! This things... they dried them up!"

Rosalind becomes very stern after hearing this.

"Wait here. I'll bring Father Wilhelm."

Rosalind goes inside. After a few minutes, Father Wilhelm comes out wearing a full plate armor and a heavy mace. Behind him, Rosalind and a few of his acolytes dress in similar gear.

"Go and inform Mother Mathilda at the Temple of the Cudgel, soldier. We will head to the south gate."

As the soldier runs towards the fortress of the Cuthbertines, Father Wilhelm looks at his acolytes.

"I believe itīs time to put our preachings to good use, children. Remmeber to use intone your spells wisely before rushing in. Rosalind, I trust you can direct your group?"

Rosalind holds her holy symbol and gives it a gentle kiss, then looks up at her mentor.

"We are Pelor's children, father. We fight these beasts because we must!"

As the group hurries to the southern gate, Rosalind draws a smile as she looks at her fellow Pelorites.

If only Dantie could see me now...

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok so knowledge nature means +1 on all attack rolls and damage rolls for me against this thing. Whatever it is. And alan no one has posted so far because we have been waiting for bishop. But if you want...

While waiting for the wall to open Dantie pulls out his holy text as he moves foward and begins reciting words from the ancient Text of Pelor, all the while holding up his holy symbol.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Recitation everyone now has +2 luck bonus on attack rolls and saving throws, enemy now has a -2 penalty on attack rolls and saving throws for the next 11 rounds.

28. - Top - End - #568

Spoiler
    Show
    Bishop is inside the maze, next to Dantie and Xander

Bishop begins drinking heavily at Dantie's request.
    Intelligent doors FTW

29. - Top - End - #569

RedWizardGuy

Xander moves near the bulb that belched forth, taking a quick moment to examine if before helping Tarith into it.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge nature (1d20+15)[32]

Tarith, these bulbs look big enough to fit in, we may be able to hide you in it, come here quickly. The moment you can see again, I would suggest getting moving while we try to deal with this.

Xander helps Tarith into the bulb, and once it looks like Bishop and Dantie are getting ready to fight casts (chain) Nerveskitter on the party.

Bishop, Dantie, once we see the creature, I will enlarge the two of you as I did yesterday.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Xander now I have a 15 on initiative. Once the battle begins I will be activating my effect to give us all +4 to AC for 11 rounds. It should start once Alan posts though. Do not forget we all have +2 to hit, and to saves. +3 if you worship pelor. the enemy has -2.

As Dantie hears Xander in his mind he acknowledges what is said. Will do Xander, just keep Tarith safe. It seems like you two will have to go ahead otherwise you will be stuck here with us fighting. Up to you though. Dantie said ready for the worst.