New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

"Not in particular, Dantie. There are some items to sell, but I will get a much better price for them than you would. Say Hello to Otis, Bill, and Oliver for me, would you?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Titan in the Playground

Thats fine Tarith, I was never one for the market after all. Much rather be out testing the things. And I can do that for you Tarith. How about you Xander? Dantie says waiting for this last person. Though now that he thinks of it Jacob may want something as well. How about you Jacob? Do you need anything after all this time? Dantie says being polite.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

™Dantie: You step out of the house with Basil and Cecil and look up towards the domed roof that covers Swan's Rest. A gentle breeze blows your hair back, carrying the sweet scent of roses. You focus mentally and your back sprouts golden wings made of feathers as you hold on to the ravens, one in each arm.

"We'll be seeing you, T! And thank you!" Basil waves as he fills his mouth with the last piece of pie.

"You better hurry back, Tarith. I want you to be the best maaaaan!" Cecile has barely time to tell you this as Dantie takes off to the skies.

You fly off with both Ravens in his arms. The village folk watch in wonder as the winged cleric soars above them and dashes through the Seal.

4. - Top - End - #1264

GreenSorcererElf

Uhoh. Best man... Sounds like she is planning a wedding...I wonder who to? Basil? or Bill? Doesn't really matter, so long as she is happy. Hopefully, I will be able to find out if they overheard anything while they were mummies, without being excessively... Rude.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile, in some obscure part of the Fey Woods...

Nerine walks up and down a semi straight line of hulking giants. The brutes have been fashioned with leather armor, some with spiked metal. All stand in attention as the nymph addresses them.

"Listen up, meat shields! I have been given absolute command of this operation. You are to pop into the village and begin killing. Please don't hold back- you're known for being brutal bloodthirsty child eaters- show it! We will march tonight and..."

No, we are not

From the shadows of a tree, Luther leans casually arms crossed against it with a scythe leaning against his leg. His shadow stretches from him and shakes its finger in a negatory fashion towards Nerine.

"We are to wait until the proper conditions are set. The old man himself said so. Didn't you get the memo?"

Nerine turns to Luther, her face red with embarrassment. One of the giants let's out a chuckle. His mockery is quickly silenced as Nerine throws one of her daggers at the giant's throat. The beast falls backwards gurgling blood. Casually, the nymph walks towards him and retrieves her weapon and begins cleaning it.

"Ughhh, fine. Very well, just... do your thing here in the woods. Establish a perimeter. Don't draw attention. We already lost one of ours to Kazym's mummies. We don't need any more casualties."

You being the biggest one

Nerine gives Luther a hateful glare and dismisses her troops. One of the giants walks towards her at the urge of his companions. Shaking, he manages to ask.

"W..What shall we eat tonight, Mistress?"

Nerine points at the dead giant.

"Do I have to do everything here? There's your dinner. You can thank me later."

As the giants drag off their companion to be skinned and roasted. Nerine approaches Luther, who remains casually leaning against a tree.

"I get it. You're Kalinas' golden boy. But hear me out. This was my forest. I know where to go, you don't, so you better start..."

Nerine holds her throat as Luther's shadow places its claws around it. the nymph can barely breathe. Luther walks towards her a few inches away.

"Now you hear me out, nymph. You failed to kill a few kids last time. I am not one for failure. These giants may be yours to command, but the second you start acting stupid and arrogant i.e. failing, I'm taking you out myself, along with the goddess. No fancy shenanigans. I want this to be done quickly and efficiently. Do we have an understanding, Nerine?"

The shadow releases his grip on the nymph and this one falls on her knees coughing for air.

"I'll take that as a yes."

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Xander informs Dantie he has all he needs before Dantie flies away.
    Jacob, when would you prefer me retrieve the journal from you, I would like as much time as possible to study it in case any part of it in written in code as I do not know the level of superstition Steiner had regarding his private thoughts.

Tarith, I wish I had more time with them before your friends returned to Justcrown, but found questioning them with out you present would be considered rude, once we return to Justcrown do you believe your friends will allow me to attempt to chronicle their experience as slaves to the lich?

Spoiler
    Show
    Tarith, I'm debating picking up haste on my sorcerer side as I would be able to cast it more then a dozen times a day if need be then(counting using slots for extend and the like) you can look at other spells if you wish, or if you have a recommendation feel free to throw it out, I am finishing up my characters lvls today, and will be looking for a critique on spell choices and that before finalizing it if you are willing.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-12 at 10:21 AM.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

It took awhile, but before long Dantie, with his two passengers were back in Justcrown directly in front of the foaming wench. I can not stay long, have a lot of work to do, lets go say hello and see if they have anything they need to tell Tarith. Dantie says walking into the foaming Wench.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] spot (1d20+6)[15] listen, if either of these are below a 16 I am just taking 10 to get the 16. (1d20+6)[24] Gather information for obvious reasons. He will also be asking about the attack on the city saying I have no idea what state it is in.

Once done at the Foaming Wench Dantie goes to where they had left Angelis body and raises him from the dead. I am sorry great one that took so long. Please forgive me, I only came of the power recently and came as soon as I could. There was much happening in the Fey woods. We stopped it though. Dantie says in celestial letting Angelis get used to his body once more. When he is sure Angelis is ready he begins flying with Angelis by his side to the temple district. Once their he directly goes into his church and asks Angelis to guy find Farther Wilhelm while he goes to find Rosalind. And with that they both go their separate ways.

8. - Top - End - #1268

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Tarith is now waiting for the keys, and has nothing else to do.

Dantie, you might want to not skip through Justcrown, as you will probably want to see the after effects of the mummy assault

Xander, I know that everyone else can cast haste. However, of the third level spells without saves, the best ones I have access to are blink(ring), haste, dispel, fly(have it), and glibness(have it). There is no such thing as too much haste. As a wizard, you could probably just memorize it in every slot, and still be an ok caster(not really, you would need a bit of BC control as well)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    @tarith not skipping through I posted the checks so I could see. Posted two parts so it would move quicker.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You fly through the trees of the now reborn Fey Woods with the teenagers under each arm. You see off in the distance the wooden gates that lead you to the forest and the rooftops that make the city of Justcrown. Ignoring the guards below, you dash past them and land in an alley behind the Foaming Wench.

"Thank you for the ride, mister", Basil shakes your hand before running off around the alley towards the main door.

"Please watch over T, sir. I see him and you are both good friends." Cecile bows and runs after Basil.

You walk casually in their direction towards the Wench and already hear a scream inside. At first it seems like it´s a death rattle, bit after a few high pitches, you realize it´s Cecile greeting her fellow Ravens. You open the door and watch Bill hugging Cecile while Oliver, faring much better after his fall from the Skylarios Balcony, hugs his raven comrade Basil as Otis places a few glasses of wine on the table. He looks at you.

"Father Silva! You brought the kids back? Thank you so much! How is Tarith doing? Cecile mentioned you were deep into the woods. Please do send my regards to him and tell T he is expected." Otis smiles and looks at Bill and Cecile who hold hands while seated.

Otis then approaches you.

"You should've been here a few days ago, father! There was an attack. Came from the woods. I never saw who they were, but I saw from my window the priests rushing in, full gear towards the south gate! The town crier says it was a hellish invasion, but they have apparently been slain. They are proclaiming a new hero in the city - Pelor's Ruby Knight. Thought that might interest you since, well, you are a priest of that church. At any rate, you have my eternal gratitude for bringing these kids home safe."

You leave the Wench and head for Mudstall alley, where Angelis met his untimely death at the hands of Varian and Nerine. Sure enough, on the roof of one of the building, several crows feast on the carcass of what used to be Pelor's most devoted warrior. Scaring the carrion birds away, you produce the diamond needed for the spell and kneel before the fallen holy beast as you chant the incantation. A few minutes go by and a single faint ray of light bathes the corpse. Sinews begin to bind themselves. Muscle regrows. Bones reattach. Fur begins to grow. Wings sprout feathers again and a golden radiance shines through the eyes of Proud Angelis. Pelor's Guardian roars once more and turns his gaze on you.

"I am back, Dantie. Thank you. I was but a luminous shadow in Elysium, unable to perform my duties. I... am not as strong as I used to be, but I have nonetheless answered your call. Please tell me, what fares of those two demons?"

You ride with Angelis towards the Temple District and knock on the door of Pelor's Church. A neophyte opens and bows to both of you.

"Father Silva and Lord Angelis! Welcome back. Please, come in!"

Father Wilhelm greets you inside.

"Dantie and Angelis... it has been some time indeed. Much has transpired since you left. We were attacked by forces dispatched by that lich right into the gates of the city. It was...not an easy fight. Mathilda is gone as a result. Their church will likely appoint a new Inquisitor. There is someone that will be much surprised and overjoyed to see you."

Dantie?

You see Rosalind come from the courtyard where you summoned Angelis. She looks as beautiful as you left her when you took your trip through the woods, but there is a something else about her. Her look, she looks... experienced. As if the days gone by have tested her as much as they have tested you. Gone are the robes of a neophyte. Rosalind sports a beautiful full plate emblazoned with a sun motif on the solar plexus. Her curls are as radiant as the fire of your faith. Truly a champion of Pelor. She walks up to you and Angelis and bows.

"You have been missed, Father Silva. Lord Angelis, glad to have you back with us."

Father Wilhelm excuses himself and goes to attend the neophytes. Rosalind embraces you immediately, catching you by surprise.

"I'm so glad you are fine, Dantie! I prayed every night for your well-being! Pelor has truly blessed us all." She takes a few steps back and straightens herself.

"They call me the Ruby Knight of Pelor now. An undeserving title. I just followed the teachings of the Shining One. I just hope I can keep protecting the city as my brothers and father Wilhelm have. But enough about me. How have you been? What transpired in the woods? Are you done with your quest?"

@Xander: "Follow me, please." Jacob leads you out of Steiner's home and down the cobblestone lane.

"Steiner was a man of many secrets, Xander. I was never one to pry into his private life. Especially when he went abroad on his travels. He was adamant after his last journey to create the Seal, after which he left. Maybe you can glean into the mysteries of his journal and decipher the cryptic writings contained within."

You stop in front of a two story house and Jacob opens the door for you. Inside you find a cozy living room and a bubbling stove. Martha is busy chopping some vegetables as the kids run around. Jacob walks towards a painting of Swan's Rest and removes it from the wall. He produces a key from his pouch and opens a small cabinet. From the cabinet, he hands you a thick book. This one has a black leather cover and is wrapped in silver silk strands. The book has no title.

"Everything Steiner saw during bis travels, as well as the ritual should be here. Take your time to read it, since it is quite lengthy. I once tried skimming through it, but some pages are written in different languages. Why would he do that, is beyond me."

He then leaves you for a few minutes and goes upstairs. He comes down carrying a stone lute and bow.

"Tell Tarith that tonight... we will open the vault. Let us hope there is nothing to regret from this."

11. - Top - End - #1271

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith, feeling bored, as he has nothing to do, decides to take a walk around Swan's Rest, trying to get an idea of how many people are there in total, and if there are any other strange areas within the village bounds. He will return to the house at dusk.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: With Dantie gone with the ravens and Xander at Jacob's place, you decide to leave the dusty home you have been assigned to live in and take a stroll through Swan's Rest.

The place isn't a city, of course. There are large stretches of green hills between homes. Fruit trees grow aplenty, each tended carefully by the villagers. Some homes have their own crop garden and large wells are catered around the village, providing ample water for everyone. Something does catch your eye, however.

A group of youths, about your age, practice archery against dummies placed 100ft. away. Their quivers lie on the ground with a few arrows stuck to the ground for quick reload. Their accuracy is far from formidable, but decent. A few of the dummies have arrows peppered deep into their torsos and heads. Other lie far off their mark. One of them notices you walking by the lane.

"You must be one of the guests at the Swan? I'm Frank. We were doing some target practice. Jacob says it's always good to be prepared, especially now that the door is open. Care to try your hand at some target practice?"

13. - Top - End - #1273

RedWizardGuy

As Jacob goes up the stairs Xander begins browsing through the book, looking for a table of contents that may help him navigate the books contents.
    Thank you Jacob, I will do all I can I assume Steiner was a over cautious one and felt some of this notes were not for all to see. I will inform Tarith we will be opening the vault, would you like me to take the lute and bow back to Steiner's home with me? If she does not use the star room when what is the fear in opening the vault?

Once Xander is done conversing with Jacob, he leaves Jacob's home and begins heading back to Steiner's. Once there. He begins reading the book.

Once Xander gets to a page he can not read he casts comprehend languages on himself and continues reading, making note of the alphabets that are used on various pages.

Once Tarith Returns.
    Tarith, Jacob has retrieves the other two keys and says that tonight we will have a opportunity to enter the vault, in the mean time however I was given Steiner's private journal, and wish to do my best to see if I can discover anything that would be important about the vault beforehand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xander knows the Celestial, Infernal, Draconic, and Elven Alphabets, but can read everything with the spell. Because of Bibliofile Xander reads at quadruple the normal rate.
    Decipher Script (1d20+18)[20] (If Xander comes across and thing that seems to be written in code he will try to decipher it.)
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-12 at 05:09 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1274

GreenSorcererElf

@Xander "Well, good luck with the journel. Hopefully, it will have somethign useful in it."

"I am indeed one of the guests at the Swan, my name is Tarith. Do you mind if I give you a few tips? It looks like you have the basics down, but are missing some of the more advanced techniques. I am not really an expert with a bow, but I can show you a few things."

As Tarith is talking, he is testing the quality of their bows.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-12 at 05:15 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Frank hands you his bow and you take a look at it. Good craftwork. Solid, yet light at the same time. Although not magical in any sense, it should hit its mark consistently in the hands of a skilled archer.

"We made these after Jacob taught us. That was about some...hmmm... fifty seasons ago. He says training is integral, even if we are safe here. I guess that is no longer the case with the Seal opened, though."

@Xander: "Don't worry, Xander. I'll bring the remaining keys at dusk, as promised. Good luck with that book."

You head back to Steiner's home and sit on the couch and open the book, removing the silk strips carefully around it. The book has a preface, judging by the ink quality, as compared to the others pages, this one was written last.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you are reading this, chances are that one of two things have happened: Either Jacob has given you this book for further study, or you have pried it from his cold dead hands. If the former, I can assume Jacob trusts you enough to read the following pages. If the latter, may the hells devour you for taking the life of an admirable person and friend.

The following information has been gathered through my travels across Oerth. You, the reader, may fancy much of it as made up musings of a traveling bard. Most of the time, you'd be correct. This time, much to my dismay, you'd be wrong. I have managed to compile as much of my research regarding Arrallae and those who came with her- yes, she is not the only one. Most importantly, within these pages you will find a ritual I researched in order to seal this sacred haven. Although my intentions would seem selfish, there is a reason for doing this. Be advised, reader, that the truth here is but in fragments. No complete answers will be found here, only what I have found during my travels. However, it should provide reasonable information not only as to Her nature, but also the nature of those who seek her.

You allow some time for the information to sink in, then continue reading. Steiner used some clever word placing on the pages. Most of the text are fanciful poems regarding the Fey Woods. Others discuss the marvels of the Jade Citadel, but these are long and winded pages meant to distract the reader from the real information. This is one of the relevant pieces.

Spoiler
    Show
    She demonstrates tremendous power. I would dare say it is infinite, yet she does seem to become exhausted when she manifests power at a grand scale. Her recovery rate, however, is amazing. She was able to feed Anzaril for thirty minutes and emerged from the water with but a weak languor, which was quickly recuperated. It is almost as if she has... an engine in her. Preposterous, I know. A power source that never dries up- unlimited power. I am not ready to classify her as a divine being, though.

After more riddles and witty poems, you come across more relevant information.

Spoiler
    Show
    I should have known. We all should have. Arrallae demonstrates an instability that is, at some points, proportionate to the power she wields. Jacob and Balion have had to restrain her in many an occasion. I attempted hypnosis on her. To try and see the root of her episodes. This got me to tap into a recess in her mind that nearly killed me. As if something inside was dormant. Something very dangerous. Once the hypnosis was over, she demonstrated a very calm demeanor, like she always has. I have come to the conclusion that stressful situations and forceful mental compulsions may trigger the effect. Still, there is the part about her divinations. Further research must be conducted.

A few pages later...

Spoiler
    Show
    The vault is built. It isn't grand, but it will do. Self-preservation and instinct tells me this shouldn't be done. The researcher in me has finished the signs in the Star Room. Arrallae has volunteered under the condition that she be chained while only one is allowed to be in the room with her. It is fair that I do so, since this was my idea. Please forgive me, my Lady, for putting you through this.

After more riddles and poems, you manage to decipher the following.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have been away from Justcrown for over a decade. During my travels, I have met some extraordinary people. Then there was him. Called himself The First. The first of what? I was approached by him in the Free City. He says he knows about Arrallae. He says she will be in better hands if she is handed to him. This man... he is no ordinary human being, no. Something about his eyes. A void. He offered me a large amount of money for her. I didn't accept, of course. He left my presence swiftly, saying it would be in his hand soon. What did he mean?

Spoiler
    Show
    It is now clear that Arrallae is something... else. Why is she that and why does The First want her, I do not know. I do know that he will attempt to retrieve her, but I do not know when or why. I have researched and created a spell that will enclose Swan's Rest from the outside world. The fey have been most cooperative, saying they will ward any intruders into the village. Still, I must be steadfast in my resolve to complete the ritual. Let's see, it must be performed during either the Winter Sosltice or Solar Equinox. At least two participants, one of which must be the caster. The ritual must be comprehended through deep arcane study. The process should take no longer than a month, time may be taken between castings to rest, but little else. Tremendous preparation and concentration is required, even so, my life and those participating on the Ritual may be at stake. I will leave the algorithms and formulas here, for those capable of understanding. If you are reading so far and the Seal has, in some way been compromised, please! Understand and Seal Swan's rest. Seal Arrallae. She is a force of good, but in his hands, or those with the knowledge I have gleaned, she could be a most terrible weapon.

16. - Top - End - #1276

GreenSorcererElf

"It is a fairly fine weapon, although not exceptional. I assume you typically choose one target, and just keep shooting at it?"

Tarith checks to see if the kid is wearing a bracer.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Pretty much, yes. We shot at the target until to goes down. We also use cover. The town has makeshift shields made from the grass itself that can be used to grant us protection while shooting. Then there is the tunnel system, which allows us to move underneath the houses to reach different vantage points."

He does not wear bracers, however.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-12 at 09:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1278

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, some of this is from crossbows, and some is from observation. First, shooting at the same target teaches you to shoot at that range and distance. You want to be able to adapt. So, switch the range of the targets you are shooting at. Instead of shooting at one at the same location, shoot at 5, all at different distances. Shoot at them in a random order. This will help you learn to aim more rapidly at targets at a different distance from you. Second, most of the archers I have seen wear a bracer on their off hand to keep the bow from taking their skin off. If you don't need it, you are either relying on magic to heal you, or you aren't using a strong enough bow. Third, if you are running a mobile battle, make sure to have arrows at each location, and on you. Wear the quiver. You may not have time to take it off, and if you do, you might not have time to pick it up again. Fourth, you want something near those shields to prevent attackers from simply charging you. I suggest caltrops, tanglefoot bags, or stakes. If you are going to fight defensively, rig the battlefield as much as possible beforehand. Have grease you can pour on attackers, slowing them down. You don't want to be forced into melee, so ensure that doesn't happen. Finally, do you have someone watching outside the gate? You want at least 15 minutes of warning before any attack, to give you time to prepare. All the training and defenses wont help if you can't get to a weapon, or use those defenses. You also want to shoot for the chest. Yes, heads can inflict more damage, but in combat, not many can take that sort of shot quickly."

Tarith pulls out his Crossbow, and starts demonstrating how to alternate ranged shots.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Frank and his friends put down their bows as they listen to you. They all nod in agreement.

"You're right. Jacob told us about the mobility factor, never stop moving and shooting. Reason why we have the tunnels that run beneath the fields. We also have some reserve arrows and blades in between tunnels, in case a weapon gets broken or we run out of arrows. The caltrops and grease sound like a good idea. Frankly, though, we haven't had any enemies here. Ever. I do hope it doesn't come to that. Thank you again for the lesson. Will get to making some make-shift bracers for me and the group."

You notice the sun has began to go down, covering the hills of Swan's Rest with a purple and orange hue.

20. - Top - End - #1280

GreenSorcererElf

"The goal of defenses is to never need them. But, if you do, you really need them. Still, I need to go, so good luck."

They will need it, to survive a fight.

Tarith returns to the house to await the opening of the vault.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

Any time Basil, just try not to make a habit of dieing, after all I will not always be around. Perhaps you should befriend those in the church, it can never hurt after all. Dantie said releasing his hand and watching him run off towards the main entrance to the Foaming Wench. You need not worry about Tarith, though his heart may not always be in the right place he is a smart one. Even as a boy he was gifted with intelligence. He will go far in life, that I am sure. Though whether his path is for good or evil, not even he is sure yet. He then watches as she runs after Basil and slowly starts to follow the two into the Foaming Wench.

As Dantie enters the Foaming Wench and Ottis starts pulling out wine and asking questions and such Dantie merely takes a seat passing his cup of wine and says in a calm understanding voice. I told you that as long as they were within my power I would try to bring them back, though surprisingly it was not I who got to for fill this, it was another like me. But her powers are much greater then mine. If you want though I can pass on your thanks to her. Dantie says telling the truth. As for Tarith, well he could be in a city with better loot. I do not think he likes being places he can not make a quick dollar. Though he never complains. Dantie says with a smile to Ottis as he watches the two love birds holding hands. I will let Tarith know, though he was going to try and come back tomorrow at some time. after that Dantie gets up and starts to leave when he sees Ottis walking over to him, curious he stays and waits for the man to catch up. I have heard, the creature who sent them tried blaming the attack on Tarith. Saying he sent those beast. They were creatures from the sands. It is sad I was not hear for the battle. Though it interests me that they named a new champion of Pelor. Defiantly after the lady of death. Most intriguing indeed, let us hope the Ruby mistress is not angered by these turns of events. Dantie then says his fair wells and heads towards where he last saw Angelis.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will be restoring him or having a lesser cleric do so at the church so no need to change Angelis stats if you are going to keep him around.

As Dantie incites the ancient words he watches for minutes as the magic takes it tole and begins it work. In but a short time he hears the majestic roar of Angelis and hears his voice once more. I am truly sorry Angelis, I did not know the evils we faced and for that I am sorry. We did avenge you though. Tarith made the final blow while I made sure he could not escape. Bishop tried to take on the woman alone, but her magic was to great for him alone, and by the time anyone was their to help a halfling sent her flying into the air dieing. We are not sure if she is still alive though. I assume not saying Bishop through a tree onto her, but I can not say for sure. after filling Angelis in on what has happened in the Fey woods and of Arrelea he asks the mighty guardian what he would do.

As the door to Pelors church is opened and both are greeted by a young neophyte who quickly ask them to come in. It does not take them long to find Farther Whilem and him to great them as well. It has indeed been quite some time Farther, though I have heard of the attack, I was not aware Matilda was one of the fallen. I shall pray for her, she was a good strong woman. I hope the duke has held to his word? Dantie says looking at the old priest before letting out a breath of relief. So she did make it. Dantie says relief filling his face. As he is getting ready to say more he hears Rosalind call his name and turns in the direction she her voice came from. It seems she was in the garden, and as he looks at her, she is no longer a neophyte but the champion Ottis had told him about in her new fullplate armor. The experience could be seen as she walked and her eyes were filled with the fire that he held in his heart for this faith.

As Rosalind Embraces him Dantie is taken back at first, but quickly is comforted and holds her in his embrace as well. I was afraid you would have been one of those that feel. I am happy I was wrong. Dantie says as she steps back straightening herself out. I have heard of your new title and though it fits I just hope it does not anger the Ruby Mistress. For death is not someone you want to make an enemy with. Dantie says as he holds his hand out to her and begins walking towards the garden where they all first meet Angelis. My travels were rough to say the least, I died but the woman the pilgrims called the goddess led my spirit back to my friends so that I could stop the lich and his plans. I believe she is actually one of our faith. A myth from long ago, The Morningstar of Pelor. Have you heard of her in your teachings? I myself only heard rumors in my studies and it is partly why I came back, for she does not remember who she is. And though I am done with my quest another one has fallen upon me. The seal that protected her village has been broken and forces of darkness seem to be trying to get her if the lich is anything to go by. Whether to kill her or turn her into a weapon is unclear though. I was hoping to bring some books back with me to study and if anyone from our church was willing, to bring them there to spread pelors word and protect them when we once again seal the gate, though this time it shall be able to be opened by those within and the ones of a pure heart if me and my friends can find a way to make it work. Dantie says then turning to her with the setting sun behind them. I missed you. Dantie says before kissing her.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: Father Wilhelm ponders on your report.

"It would seem, then, that what the pilgrims chanted was true. There is indeed someone who wields power akin to that of a deity. I will gladly show you the holy texts we have here, dan tie. I must give fair warning. The Morning Star that served under The Shining One was a warrior from many years ago. Some argue this mythic hero came hailed from the first races made by the gods. If this goddess you speak of were the Morning Star, why would it be under seclusion? Pelor would've surely granted us a sign. However, you have conversed with this person. If she will grant us permission, I will send some delegates to the Fey Woods and establish a community there. Of course, again, I ask her permission. She seems to have been there for a lot longer. I t is alarming, however, that sinister forces are privy to this place, while we have not. I assume you will be returning to this place?"

Rosalind kisses you back, then realizes she's in front of the high priest and steps back, blushing intensely.

"I'm sorry, father Wilhelm. I hope I didn't break any oaths,"

"You have broken none, child. In fact, marriage between pelorites is well seen. It is a way to promote the faith."

Rosalind looks at you and holds your hand.

"The title was bestowed to me by the people, but you are right. I would not disrespect the Ruby Sorceress by taking her title. I trust you will return soon?"

@Tarith & Xander: The window sheds moonlight now as the glow in the temple has diminished. A sign the goddess sleeps. A knock is heard at the door. Upon opening, you see Jacob holding a stone lute and bow in his arms.

"I trust that book gave you some insight, Xander. I also hope you know what you're doing with the information within."

"Tarith...if you are ready, let us go."

23. - Top - End - #1283

GreenSorcererElf

"Then we go. This should be interesting."

Raiding a sealed vault always is. You can't get that smell anywhere else. It just isn't the same. Also, the good stuff is usually in sealed vaults.

Spoiler
    Show

The sealed vault air is an attempt to reference the new car smell, or the new tennis ball smell, or the new MTG pack smell, all things that are never the same again.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-12 at 11:36 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #1284

RedWizardGuy

Xander pulls out both some spare sheets of paper, and his note book, on the sheets of paper he makes a copy of his translation , to share with the group as they return, noting both page number and alphabet used. In his notebook he takes notes on the translations.

Preface.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, he spent his life researching her, and these others, I wonder how many there are,and if these could be anything to do with the rumors Dantie was speaking of the other day, I wonder if any of them have any memories...and what there purpose is on Oerth.
    I assume those that seek her would be a reference to the organization Kazym in involved with, this place has been sealed up for so long, I wonder how long these people have been at it.
    It is a shame he was unable to complete his research, but then again this book has been sealed up for some time now, perhaps he has other journals, perhaps research continued on the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will continue tomorrow, I keep dozing off am not getting anything done.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-12 at 11:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You walk alongside Jacob through the cobblestone streets. The houses are well lit inside and noise can still be heard as families sit down for idle chatter at the dinner table.

"We go in, then we leave. Just a quick look, Tarith. I don't even know why I'm doing this."

You walk around the grand temple of Arrallae. Jacob looks at the open archway.

"She should be asleep. Let us hope she does not awaken."

You reach the fountain behind the temple. The moonlight from above the domed village bathes the water in silvery light, which reflects upon the three statues. The items in your hand begin to resonate with the statues with a faint buzz and glow.

"Let's make this quick."

Jacob places the bow on his statue, followed by Steiner's lute on his hands.

You place the scythe on Balion's statue.

As soon as the three keys are placed, Steiner's statue It begins to play a folk tune, all too well known in the countryside.

As a response to the music, Balion's statue turns his body towards the pool and places the tip of his scythe into the pool, stirring the calm waters into a small vortex. Finally, Jacobs statue turns to the vortex and readies his bow, drawing an arrow from his quiver and letting it loose amidst the swirling waters. Immediately, the water is drained from the pool and the bottom opens, revealing stairs leading into the dark. The Jacob and Balion statues return to their original positions. Steiner's replica bows before resuming his place as well, each still holding the items in their hands.

Jacob takes out a torch and lights it with some flint and steel.

"That place has been dark for a long time. Are you ready?"

26. - Top - End - #1286

GreenSorcererElf

"An impressive, but excessive lock. Steiner had a lot of time on his hands. The alarm effect could be an issue, however."

After Jacob asks his question

"Almost. I have not survived this long without being somewhat... paranoid."

Tarith drains a charge from his armor, using it to cast freedom of movement and shield on himself. He also activates his ring, and when he turns back to Jacob, his eyes seem to have a blue flame in them. He also loads his crossbow, and transfers the least crystal of returning to his other dagger.

"We move carefully. Hopefully, this is just paranoia, but there could be something. It would not be the first time..."

Tarith moves cautiously into the vault.

Spoiler
    Show

Tarith will re-activate his ring every three rounds, giving him effectively 7 rounds of blink, unless you are nice.
    The blue flame is Arcane sight
    He will also take the lead, but move carefully, keeping an eye out for trouble from any direction.
    (1d20+23)[36]hide
    (1d20+23)[26]move silently
    (1d20+17)[36]spot
    (1d20+17)[20]listen
    (1d20+22)[24]search
    Hopefully paranoid, but you never know...
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-13 at 12:55 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The steps lead down into the dark. Each step you take down raises a cloud of dust. After what seems an endless trail down, all you can see before you is the luminescence cast by Jacob's torch. You have to push aside cobwebs that have lined the entire descent. You finally reach the bottom of the vault.

Just as Jacob said, a long, dirty tunnel leads to a pair of barred wooden doors, shaped as an arch. Jacob begins lighting the old torches. As light fills the vault, you see the walls have been etched with old symbols, some you recognize as astrological, others look like formulas typically found in an alchemist or wizard's notebook. The writings go over the entire tunnel and stop at the doors. You see a pair of dog sized spiders scuttle away into a hole in the wall.

"These weren't here when we closed the vault. I wonder how they got that big. At least they aren't attacking us. The door straight ahead leads to Star Room. If we go on a few more feet, we should find the door that leads to the smithy. I crafted some weapons there, but, once the Seal was placed, I saw no reason to reclaim them. There should be no danger here."

28. - Top - End - #1288

GreenSorcererElf

Interesting. I think Xander might like a look at these walls. Still, giant spiders. Not fun.

"Was that hole there? They may have dug their way in here. Second, never assume there is no danger. I bet you 10 platinum that we will be fighting before we leave this place."

Tarith tries to see the door to the armory. If he does, he heads there, carefully, checking the ceiling as well, before trying to open the door, checking traps. Once he opens the door, he tosses an oil flask with a flaming piece of cloth in the place of a stopper into the room, where it breaks. He then signals Jacob to come forward, and heads into the room, his crossbow prepared to take advantage of any potential enemies surprise at the fiery explosion from nowhere.

Spoiler
    Show

Thinking Molotov here, but not expecting much in the way of damage. More light, potentially lighting webbing on fire, and a distraction.
    rolls
    (1d20+23)[34]hide
    (1d20+23)[32]move silently
    (1d20+17)[31]spot
    (1d20+17)[27]listen
    search(1d20+22)[32]
    disable device(1d20+23)[26]
    open lock, if needed, take 20 for a 35
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You toss the fiery flask and this one rolls a bit through the stone floor before crashing and igniting a 10ft. area of webbing. a milliard of tiny screeches are heard as baby spiders scatter into crevasses in the wall.

"Hmmm... it is not improbable for a place that has been shut for so long to have vermin. We are still in a forest, after all. However, this vault is also under Swan's Rest heavenly power. This place was also where Arrallae had her biggest episode. Maybe a remnant of her power stayed after she was subdued, affecting the creatures inside, from mere vermin to those we saw scuttle into a hole, which is odd, since there was no hole there at first..."

At the sight of the baby spiders, Jacob places his torch to ground level waving it in arcs.

"Back away, critters! The smithy is right up ahead. Let's just not even bother with Star Room. You'd be surprised, Tarith. Steiner helped me craft some of the weapons in there. Nothing too fancy, but enough to..."

Jacob and you look up to the ceiling of the smithy. The armory is covered in webs. The anvil barely visible under a coat of webbing. An old hammer lies against the anvil and the forge beyond is a dark, cold mouth filled with webs as well. However, 30ft. above you, the vault's current tenant eyes you with wicked eyes- all eight of them. The spider is as large as a warhorse and you notice that blades have merged into the creature's legs, slicing the thick webbing with ease as it drools green poison from its fangs.

"I forged those blades centuries ago! The magic here must've fused this spider with the swords! This could be bad."

Jacob draws his bow.

"I guess you were right, Tarith. I owe you, what was it? Ten platinum? Kill giant bladed vermin first, payment later, deal?"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-13 at 02:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1290

GreenSorcererElf

At the sight of the creature, Tarith immediately fires his crossbow at it, before drawing his daggers.

"Jacob, you have a deal. This should be interesting. I am glad I am not afraid of spiders."

Spoiler
    Show

Attack(1d20+15)[16] damage(1d8)[1] SA(7d6+13)[40] miss(1d100)[59]
    and... after all that planning, a miss. Sad.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-13 at 09:25 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss