New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

"Well Xander, that depends on what I'm doing. I drink a lot, but the effects never last that long."
    Intelligent doors FTW

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: You ponder on what could've been used on Kalyn's body. The flash Bishop mentioned. Given the brief flash and disappearance of the body from the site, it would seem some sort of teleportation spell may have been used. As for the intent of the body, that could be anyone's guess.

@Dantie: You meet at the north gate with everyone and admire Bishop's handiwork, as well as learn Kalyn's fate as well as exchange ideologies with your comrades. Lucian hears the most relevant part of the tale and announces.

"It would seem that this will require further investigation. Dantie, I thank you for your efforts. I will be returning to Geoff and arrange for an investigative council to look into this matter. May the gods smile upon your travels."

He addresses you and Xander with a military salute, clicking his heels together sharply, makes an about face, and heads back to the city.

3. - Top - End - #123

"Well we got rid of him, let's head to the woods."
    Intelligent doors FTW

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Yep. Hopefully, we will run into a guide before too long. I don't know too much about the forests. I tend to find the opportunities of a city much more interesting."

Tarith heads towards the fey woods
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-10 at 01:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #125

RedWizardGuy

A guide would be nice, I know a fair amount about forests, however navigating through one is not a skill i excel in.

Bishop, I trust you know of the potential negative effects imbibing large amounts of alcohol over a extended period of time may have on the body? Is there something in particular witch has made to decide to spend so much time in a drunken haze? Or simply love of the beverage?
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

6. - Top - End - #126

"Yes, I am no dwarf. I drink for a purpose, like most, to forget." Bishop then drinks a large amount from his decanter, looks down at the ground, reflects for a second, then looks back up and drinks again from his decanter, while heading into the Fey Woods with the others.
    Intelligent doors FTW

7. - Top - End - #127

RedWizardGuy

Forget? I assume this is a single moment in your life you are trying to forget, but is drinking away years of what you have learned the best route in witch to do that? Surely there must be a better way. Have you considered chronicling the events so you can puzzle out what led to the unfortunate outcome and the best way in witch to ensure history does not repeat itself?

Spoiler
    Show
    Bishop didn't seem to big on chatting about it, but Xander being a little to naive to pick it up, or realize it might be a touchy subject likes to ask questions, and isn't paying enough attention to think it would bother Bishop at all due to being distracted with his reading. Should I start handing you objects to hit things with before Xander ends up making Bishop angry or soemthing?

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

"Trust me, it won't happen again. It couldn't.... Drinking allows me to numb the pain, even if it is only a temporary cure it still helps."

Spoiler
    Show

Bishop doesn't think much of himself, he is pretty relaxed if anyone confronts him directly, as he doesn't really care that much about what happens to him. The only thing that will anger him is insulting things that he holds dear, and don't try to steal his decanter.
    Intelligent doors FTW

9. - Top - End - #129

RedWizardGuy

If the event troubles you so, why have you not simply paid to have the memory removed from your mind, the loss of one memory seems a lesser evil than muddying the accumulated memories of a life time.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was mainly talking about opening old wounds in the unpredictable drunk Xander just met, Xander only casually drinks and tries to get no drunker than a buzz from time to time, so your decanter will be safe.

Tarith I could see trying to sell it if we meet a rich parched dwarf however, but he may get penalties to trying to bluff you into thinking his water skin is really your decanter.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

"I would never want to forget her." Bishop continues drinking heavily as he remembers Lea.
    Intelligent doors FTW

11. - Top - End - #131

GreenSorcererElf

"The past should remain the past. Better for everyone that way. Riches lost and gained, Loves gained and lost, revenge sought, and denied, there seems to be little reason to hold to the past, or plan for the future. Live in the now, not the was, or the future."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

12. - Top - End - #132

Bishop is now having a difficult time comprehending the words that Tarith is saying. He instead starts fiddling about with his scythe. He rapidly spins the scythe in circles around his body, throws it up in the air as it spins, catches it like a experienced scythe wielder, then trips over a tree root that he didn't notice.
    Intelligent doors FTW

13. - Top - End - #133

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith swiftly moves in, and catches the scythe, as a distraction for his pickpocketing.

Spoiler
    Show

Tarith borrows the flask... Should be interesting...
    He also replaces it with his flask.
    sleight of hand(1d20+13)[22]

"Bishop, walking into unknown territory drunk is not a good plan."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

14. - Top - End - #134

RedWizardGuy

But Tarith, does that statement not oppose our current actions? We are after all entering a area long ago sealed and forgotten, in order to uncover its secrets. And surely one such as yourself knows the benefits of planning ones actions ahead of time.
    Xander simply raises a eyebrow at Bishop and Tarith's maneuvers.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

GreenSorcererElf

"Nah... We are investigating it because there are odd happenings, and it seems to be part of some sort of greater plan. The history is irrelevant. As far as planning goes, in order to make a good plan, you need information, which usually means you need to gather that information. But, if you are in a position to gather the info, you can just do what you came there to do in the first place. Or just go in with items for contingencies, and save yourself a lot of effort. Besides, so far, I have been lucky, and just skilled enough to succeed."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #136

RedWizardGuy

I suppose your method seems sound enough, and has seemed to work well for you so far, I however believe i would miss the research and study involved in devising a well planned course of action, and there are many other ways in witch one can gain the information needed with out putting yourself in harms way.

Spoiler
    Show
    this is my last post for a bit, got a dentist appointment so i will be drugged up for awhile, and need to work with my internet a bit tonight, ill try and get a few more posts later tonight, if i end up having to use my cellphone then the posts may lack formatting and proof reading, but i can pretty them up in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith nods, and continues walking.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party. You walk through the city and take a good look at its landmarks. Dantie, you can only hope Rosalind is doing well and by the time you return, she may surprise by being a neophyte no more, but a worthy successor to Wilhelm himself. Xander, as you walk through the busy streets, you see a few of your soon to be students walk past and bow in reverence. Surely, this city may yet to learn the true arts your teachings have to unveil. Tarith, you see the Wench in the distance and can only imagine Bill and Oliver planning their next heist, and Otis sweating profusely as he tries to cover up any messes they may do. Bishop, you can only hope, for anyones sake, that your house is unattended by the time you come back. You finally reach the southern gate. The guards open the doors solemnly and without a word. They have learnt not to ask questions anymore to those who wish to wander in there. The gate closes behind you and a dirt road leads towards an enormous forest. There is no entrance per se, but the road leads towards an opening between the trees. The sounds of the city are gradually dimmed as you venture into the woods.

This forest is vast. The huge trees reach up to the sky and battle in a war of branches and leaves, blocking out the sun, leaving but scarce light rays that manage to seep through. Flowers in full bloom, despite the time of year, spring around you, with a palette of colors yet to be matched by any artist. The entire place holds an eerie aura. You feel like you do not belong here, a place untarnished by mortals indeed. As you walk through the woods, you can feel presences watching you. A quick shadow here, a rustling of leaves over there, but no one to greet. Oddly enough, no animals can be heard in this place.

Then, you see it, broken by some tremendous force. An old statue covered in dried up roots and withered vines. The statue is made of stone, a crude carved slab. The statue depicts what looks to be like a woman, hard to tell the exact features, but looks like she bears robes. An inscription has been chiseled into the stone. The area around it has patches of sand, which trail into different directions and get lost in the woods.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-10 at 05:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

GreenSorcererElf

I wonder what the inscription reads.

Tarith moves up to get a better look at the inscription.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #140

RedWizardGuy

There are no animals...the lich you mentioned must have them ill at ease.

When they reach the statue, Xander pulls out "The Fey Woods"
    The book speaks of Ehlonna having blessed the springs i spoke of earlier, this may be a depiction of the goddess herself, possibly a shrine to her, clearly long neglected.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion (1d20+12)[21] Knowledge Nature (1d20+15)[32]

Tarith, what does the inscription say? Do any of you know what all this sand is here for?

After Tarith is done, Xander looks at the inscription anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't remember if Tarith told Xander the lich used sand or if he just said it was a lich.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC. I assume one of you has Sylvan as a language

@Xander & Tarith. You get a closer look at the inscription on the broken statue. The statue itself is no bigger in size than a full grown man, probably used as a marker or decor around the forest. This is what it reads.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arrallae the Shining One

Smile Upon Your Most Sacred Guardian

Light my Blade Upon thy Enemies

That I will forever Prowl your Garden

22. - Top - End - #142

GreenSorcererElf

As Tarith reads the inscription in sylvan, Tarith translates it into common for his less linguistically gifted companions.
    "Well, this inscription is horribly wrong now. Bailon, the guardian, betrayed his trust, and is now attacking the forest. The sand is probably from that lich, he seems to desiccate the area around him. I suppose we might as well pick one of these trails, and follow it. Still, I wonder why they seem to come here so often."

Tarith casts detect magic, and searches the area near the statue for items mundane and magical.

search(1d20+19)[25]
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-10 at 09:39 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith. You search the area around the broken marker. There was magical activity here, not long ago. Necromancy was involved, but of what nature, difficult to tell. Rummaging through the sand left, you find a small signet ring. This ring was commissioned a few months back and made specifically to have the desired motif engraved on it - A Raven's head.

This ring belonged to Cecile.

There are currently five trails of sand going in different directions into the forest. Deeper in, a growl echoes through the woods. Unnatural in nature.

24. - Top - End - #144

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, my friend was here, and she lost a ring. Well, I think we have a direction. Time to head to the growl."

Tarith activates his ring, and starts moving stealthily as he heads down the trail that seems to head towards the growl.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith. You activate your ring and follow one of the trails, hopeful to lead towards the growl and, ideally, Cecile.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may roll a Survival check DC 15 to find the right track leading to the growl

26. - Top - End - #146

RedWizardGuy

Xander casts invisibility on himself and follows Tarith.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party. You follow Tarith as Xander disappears from view. You trek for about twenty minutes through the undergrowth when you come across a blasted clearing and a disturbing sight.

A family of black bears lie strewn around the area. Their bodies have apparently been punched to death and their fur is now shriveled and almost gone. Their skin has lost all moisture and appears dessicated. Amidst the slaughter stand three humanoid figures. Their skin is gray and dry, cracked even. Their faces twisted into a perpetual expression of rage. They are wearing tattered white robes very similar to those the pilgrims wore at the city. The creatures spot you from forty feet away and growl as they begin to approach you, making cracking sounds as they move.

28. - Top - End - #148

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith, moving quietly, sneaks past them, and attacks the back two, striking simultaneously.

Spoiler
    Show

so here are my hide and move silently rolls
    (1d20+26)[32] hide
    (1d20+26)[34] move silently
    Going with a simultaneous strike, attacking the one on the left with the dagger, and the one on the right with the bastard sword. Also casting Gravestrike from the wand.
    Miss chance 1-20
    Enemies should be flat footed, as they are not aware of Tarith.
    bastard sword attacks
    attack(1d20+10)[15] damage(1d10+4)[10] SA(5d6+11)[29] miss chance(1d100)[22]
    attack(1d20+5)[10] damage(1d10+4)[10] SA(5d6+11)[30] miss chance(1d100)[88]
    Dagger attacks(min damage 1)
    attack(1d20+18)[21] damage(1d4-1)[0] SA(5d6+11)[27] miss chance(1d100)[19]
    attack(1d20+18)[30] damage(1d4-1)[2] SA(5d6+11)[25] miss chance(1d100)[96]
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-10 at 09:33 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry everyone can only be here for certain times during the day.

Dantie follows the others into the woods. Once they get to the statue he looks around the area to see if he can tell which path is the most recent.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[23] Survival

As he follows Tarith Dantie pulls out his holy symbol and holds his morningstar in the other hand. As he sees the three bodies he quickly begins chanting.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[21] Initiative (1d20+9)[27] Turn undead (1d20+15)[27] Knowledge religion, (1d20+6)[19] Arcane (1d20+5)[11] history, (1d20+9)[27] the planes Turn check results makes anything undead with 15HD or less be destroyed within 60ft. of us.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-10-10 at 09:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

Bishop takes the scythe back from Tarith, and drinks from his decanter. Upon finding it empty after just a sip he crushes the flask. Stops walking, and looks around at everyone, then yells, "WHO TOOK MY DECANTER???"
    Intelligent doors FTW