New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

Bishop then drinks 2 more tankards worth of ale from his decanter and replies, "I am not in the mood to be messed with right now. Show yourself and I might not kill you."
    Intelligent doors FTW

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith sneaks up more closely to Dantie, so that he can hear what is being said.

Spoiler
    Show

Blinking grants concealment, so can hide :)
    as an added benefit, they need to spend actions to search again :)
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: You hear giggling coming from the trees around you.

We have been here all along

You dart your eyes around, and seem to catch a glimpse of a form right next to you. Can't exactly tell what it is, but it's a flash of brown and green, then it vanishes.

4. - Top - End - #184

Bishop drinks from his decanter, 2 times again. "Ah, I see, the trees are talking, that makes complete sense."

He then thinks to himself, "I wonder if a weapon is made from a talking tree, would the weapon then be able to talk."
    Intelligent doors FTW

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: The flowers around burst in a flash of bright dazzling colors, enveloping al of you, revealing themselves not as flowers, but as a conflagration of minuscule elfin creatures that swirl around you, pull at your hair, bite your eyelids, fingers, and lips and sneak in and out of your armor, nose and ears. The sudden flash of light illuminates the entire area within 60ft. of multicolored hues of light, akin to the sun, should it one day become a rainbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (3d6)[3][5][1](9) to everyone in the area, visible or not. Everyone within the 10ft. radius is automatically dazzled, taking a -1 to attack, search, and spot checks. Everyone roll a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid their Distraction ability, which may leave targets nauseated, and casters at a further disadvantage if casting spells.

Initiative: (1d20+6)[8]

As the creatures envelop you, you see that where the flowers stood, lie the remains of a a desiccated pilgrim, apparently bitten to death.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-12 at 05:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186

GreenSorcererElf

(Speaking as a free action)
    "I have a solution, although it will hurt. A lot. If anyone else has an idea, now would be the time to mention it."

(Speaking in sylvan)
    "We are no threat to you. In fact, we intend on saving this forest from its attackers."

Spoiler
    Show

if only this was a bluff...
    (1d20+6)[23]diplomacy
    (1d20+21)[23] bluff(first part)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: As the swarm envelops all of you, the elfin creatures speak as one voice, making it far clearer now.

"Despoilers! You walk with the shroud! You walk with the shroud!"

8. - Top - End - #188

GreenSorcererElf

"No, we are not allied with the undead. We destroy them on sight. If you doubt my word, look back in the valley, where we destroyed 3 of the mummies."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: (In sylvan, heard from the trees)

"If what you claim is true, are you willing to stand before us?"

10. - Top - End - #190

GreenSorcererElf

"Certainly. Will you please stop attacking us?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: (In Sylvan) "Release your grip, brothers and sisters. These are not with the shroud. Fly away, for now."

The swarm disengages and flies upwards into the canopy, extinguishing its light and disappearing completely amongst the leaves as they scatter.

A female emerges from a large tree a few feet behind you. Her hair is autumn colors and bears twigs caught up in its curls. Her eyes are a deep amber and her tanned skin reminds you of fine mahogany wood. Her features are sharp and wild, similar to Nerine's, in a way, but lacking that psychotic look she had during fights. The woman dresses in loose green garments made of leaves and and a brooch made of chiseled bark.

"I am Uwellyn, of the Eastern Coven. If you are here to fight off this blight, then come with me, that you may be properly assessed for your trespass."

12. - Top - End - #192

GreenSorcererElf

"All right. Talking is usually preferable to being blown up."

Hopefully, we can drop the right name, and get some useful information, such as where Basil and Cecile's bodies are. Perhaps Steiner, or mention that we killed Varian and fought Nerine...
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: Uwellyn whistles and a blue jay lands on her hand. She seems to speak with the bird and this one flies off to the west.

"We have a trek before us. Normally, I'd just use the trees to get where we are going, but I doubt you have that ability? Who are you four. Yes, I saw one of you vanish earlier."

14. - Top - End - #194

GreenSorcererElf

"My name is Tarith, fair lady."

Tarith bows.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-12 at 07:22 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: As you are traversing the forest, growls can be heard off in the distance.

"Our forest is slowly falling into decay. What was once a lush, verdant world is now being thoroughly poisoned by The Guardian and this shade of salt. A shame that Old Balion would consort with the unliving."

16. - Top - End - #196

GreenSorcererElf

"We have also encountered this salt lich before, in Justcrown. We fled, as we were in no position to beat him at that time. A second confrontation would be a bit... different."

I wonder if she is related to Nerine. She does look like her.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dam work, ruins all my fun and Tarith gets all the glory Xd just playing my friend. (1d20+8)[19] Fortitude save lets hope this passes.

Once the attack is called off from Tariths diplomacy Dantie looks to him and says Now isn't it easier to tell the truth. Imagine what would have happened if you had lied to them. Then Dantie thinks to himself that this lady looks much like the elven woman they had meet ealier that Bishop had been with. What was it she had said... We were told to tell you that we had been sent here by the western coven. Dantie says, then trying to remember the name Dantie calls out to Xander Do you remember the name we are suppose to tell the eastern coven. After all that has happened I truthfully do not. Then turnign back to the creature who is leading them as they walk Dantie asks, What has happened in your woods my lady? They seem fine from outside, and if not for those reached undead we had ran into earlier I would not have noticed that their was anything wrong here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dantie is not trying to lie, he really is bad with names unless they have something to deal with religion or some such thing. (1d20+4)[12] spot (1d20+4)[21] listen (1d20+6)[18] survival (1d20+6)[20] arcane (1d20+5)[11] history (to learn what he can about the woods, (1d20+15)[35] religion (never know something could have happened in hear besides the goddess)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: You are walking a few steps behind Uwellyn as she makes a remark on the forest and its Guardian. This is what you gather:

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Fey Woods is an old, very old place. The Forest used to be much bigger, but centuries of civilization have reduced it in size to a few hundred miles. You once read that this forest predated all known lands in the region, even. Bringing settlers from as far away as Furyondy, Geoff, Veluna and even Iuz to settle here. Alas, fey resistance proved too strong and a truce was established between the early settlers and the fey for a small patch of land. Today that patch is known as Justcrown.

- The mysterious fey have a pantheon, but they aren't as religious as other races, seeing as they themselves are as immortal as the deities they follow. Queen Titania and King Oberon preside the Seelie Court and a slew of other fey deities,notable among them Skerrit, patron god of the centaurs. There is, of course, a darker side to this coin. The Unseelie Court has its fair share of spiteful fey gods, who are lead by the enigmatic Queen of Air & Darkness.

Uwellyn turns to you at your inquiry. She looks at the ground looking for something and picks up an apple. The apple is plump and red, ready to be eaten. She shows you the apple.

"This is our forest, Dantie."

She then produces a dagger from her clothes and slices the apple in two. As one half falls to the ground, she points the other half at you. Its insides blackened and maggot -ridden.

"This is what Balion is to our forest." She drops the apple and resumes the trek.

"I blame Jacob and Lacore for this. Whatever drove them to leave our forest in his care? If he wanted to stay with her, they should have let him."

@Tarith: Uwellyn looks at you quizically.

"I really hope your words ring true, Tarith. We are headed to the Western Coven, although I belong to the Eastern one. Or rather, did. Until that monster showed up."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-13 at 02:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199

GreenSorcererElf

"Did belong? It sounds like the fey are getting slaughtered."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

As Dantie remembers the knowledge he has gained over the years he wonders which of the two courts she belongs to. But before he gets a chance to ask she has already picked up an apple and cut it half only to reveal that it has been rotted to the core. What kind of Guardian would do such a thing. My people only have our faith to keep us going and yet we do not try to destroy what we hold most dear. Then remembering what he knows he asks her Please do not take this as rude but which court do you belong to? And if this Guardian is so bad to have done this have you both not joined together to crush him from your lands? We know a way to get to see this so called goddess, but I believe from what you have shown me that it may be to late. Their is also the matter of the lich that walks with him. If we run into this Guardian what would you suggest we do? Try to bring out as his lighter side, or is their no hope? Dantie asks as they walk.

21. - Top - End - #201

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    fort save (1d20+6)[13] Don't know if there are any long term effects or if everything ended after they ceased there attack.

Knowledge nature (Uwellyn) (1d20+15)[21]

When Xander hears Tarith speaking in a language he does not know, he casts comprehend languages to follow the conversation.

When Uwellyn mentions knowing he is invisible.
    I mean no disrespect or deceit, it simply is one of the simpler methods in witch to ensure I am less likely to be attacked if we encounter something that wishes us ill. I am Xander Corillian, a humble seeker of knowledge in Delleb's name.

In response to Dantie's question.
    We are supposed to seek out Uwellyn of the eastern coven, witch appears we have already accomplished. We are supposed to inform her we where sent by Steiner to offer our assistance in eliminating the threat to the woods.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

22. - Top - End - #202

Bishop replies to the forest dweller, "I am Bishop. Might I ask you what you know of Myriam?"
    Intelligent doors FTW

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Uwellyn looks at you solemnly.

"Belonged, Tarith. It was but a few days ago. That...thing. It came into our coven. Breached our ancient defenses and used magic we had never seen before. Me and my sisters put up a good fight. Sadly, even by steel and spell we were unable to bring him down. His presence alone set the defining fate for the battle. We called our brothers around the coven to assist. It was a grave mistake..."

@Dantie: After addressing the fate of her Coven, she looks at you, cleaning her dagger from the remains of the rotten apple.

"I see you have some understanding about the inner working of the Fey, Dantie. But I ask that you do not see it in strict black and white. With our people, it is a very shifting grey when it comes to worship. The Courts, both Seelie and Unseelie exist outside this realm, but at certain points in history they have converged here. Where are they drifting off now, is anyone's guess. But to answer your question, if I were to side with one, it would be with fair Queen Titania."

Uwellyn then ponders on your next question.

"Balion was not always like he is today. He was a gentle druid who befriended us early on, before her arrival. His care for the forest was admirable, even by fey standards. When she landed, we took her as an outsider. Some of us thought she belonged to the Fey Courts. as to whether she belonged to the Seelie or Unseelie, was anyone's guess. We tended for her in the forest, keeping our distance. We have learned to be secretive and cautious of non-fey. It would be during the passing days that we would realize she was no fey. We still do not know exactly what she is. Yes, she has been referred to as a goddess, but since I have never seen a god before, how could I compare? It would be those three: Jacob, Balion, and Steiner who would take her away into their camp, the fabled Swan's Rest now. How have things changed since then. It would be many years afterwards that Balion and Steiner would come forth from their hiding in that village. Both of them had been blessed, somehow. Steiner had developed an aptitude for the arts arcane the likes had never seen before, as well as a charming personality... too charming, if you ask me. Balion was...augmented. He developed a formidable force, both physical and spiritual. His knowledge of the woods expanded to exert a control over the woods. We were wary at first, but he claimed this was for the safety of us all. We had no reason to doubt him. He had never been a harbinger of death here, so we were content. Many centuries would go by and we would learn that his blessing became also his curse. His physical and spiritual aspects are as strong as ever, but his mental state is a s strong as a bundle of dead twigs. And with his years of solitude and separation from her, they have finally snapped.

We managed to face Old Balion many times in the past, when his instability became known. He is a formidable enemy, but even he can't take on all of us at once, so we managed to keep him at bay. We were unable to kill him either. No matter how strong the spell or mighty the blow. It would seem her best wishes for him were, unintentionally, a curse for us. Nevertheless, we prevailed, and thus managed to keep him at bay. Now, though, his thoughts on her have been rekindled by this shroud of sand, and he has once again launched a massive attack on us. In a way, I feel sorry for him. All this power granted in the service of one he loves. And to never be see or be with her. If you do face Old Balion, be on your guard. Chances are, he has already seen you, and may have called upon his creations to bar your entrance into the forest further."

@Xander: Uwellyn raises an eyebrow at your comment.

"So you know Steiner? Well, this may be a blessing or not. I was never one to hold him in the highest regards, but then again, this isn't my coven, so who knows."

@Bishop: Uwellyn looks at you with a curious look.

"Myriam? You know of that traitor? She belonged to the Eastern Coven and my dear sister. She fell twice. Once, for the Wandering Minstrel, Steiner, who spun tales of the outside world to her. Then, she would befriend an outcast to the coven. One who took her down the wrong path. What relationship did you have with her?"

@The Party: You reach what looks like a fortress made of thorn-ridden trees, fashioned in a circular design. The blue jay Uwellyn spoke to earlier, is perched on one of the thorns looking down on you. She whistles to the bird and this one flies into the circle. A few moments later, a section of the fortress begins to rumble and the thorny trees part away, creating an opening.

"The Western Grove, gentlemen. Let us hope your words are true. Shall we?"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-13 at 02:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

GreenSorcererElf

"A lich is a difficult foe to face. Even if you destroy the body, the soul lives on, and can create another body. Any powerful caster is a grave threat, even to people prepared to face it. However, it would seem that he has some larger objective. I suspect that even this assault is just a small part of the whole."

Upon arrival

"An impressive defense, but I doubt its efficacy against the dead, who can't feel the pain of the thorns, and who will simply ignore most of it. I would appreciate a moment to clear my mind of the pain of the wounds before proceeding."

Tarith kneels, assuming a meditative stance, and drains a charge from his armor, using it to stealthily cast a spell.

Spoiler
    Show

Conceal spellcasting: Glibness
    sleight of hand(1d20+17)[19]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #205

Bishop makes a curious face back at Uwellyn as she stares at Bishop, "What it is?"
    Intelligent doors FTW

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "In a way, like the apple I showed you earlier, the defense is not the thorny exterior. You have arrived at a most opportune time, but you aren't the first."

@The Party: You walk into the grove and see it's a round hill. Several trees are arranged around a pool which is slowly drying up. Several dryads, like Uwellyn, lie against their respective trees. Their appearance is frail, even more so than their fey nature would indicate. Some of the trees are shedding leaves even as you walk into the grove. As if the process of decay has accelerated exponentially. Across the pool of water, a female elf dressed in a shining breastplate stands up from the grass and looks at all of you with blazing blue eyes. She speaks with a strong, commanding voice.

"Uwellyn of the Eastern Coven... who walks with you?" The elf maiden draws a sword made of sparkling blue light.

27. - Top - End - #207

GreenSorcererElf

"My name is Tarith. We came here to help. Who are you?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The elven woman walks around the pool and stands before you.

"I am Azakiel, of the Olympian Glades of Arborea. I was called here by the Western Coven a few moons ago when the Old Guardian began rampaging the forest. It is my duty to protect this Grove so it does not befall the ate of the other. sadly, I was unable to hear the cries for help from the East, and thus I am stationed here, ever vigilant."

Azakiel looks at the sky for a few seconds, then looks at the group.

"There was one who was sent from here. One who said he'd find help. A man by the name of Felix. It is unfortunate he hasn't returned."

She then looks at Dantie.

"I see there is one who follows the Elysian gods, the Radiant One. In fact, I sensed one of his champions descend naught but a day ago. Where is he?"

29. - Top - End - #209

GreenSorcererElf

"We met Felix, but he sort of vanished. I am not sure what happened to him, but he is gone. We will probably help to defeat Balion and the lich."

Tarith examines the elven woman.

Olympian Gardens... I wonder where that is...

Spoiler
    Show

spot(1d20+16)[36]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You take a good look at Azakiel. She looks elven, but more refined, of noble lineage. Her armor has intricate designs engraved into the metal, depicting an elven citadel high amongst the cluds. Her eyes, however, are the most intriguing. She has no pupils, per se, but glowing blue eyes. her hair is raven colored and wears a metal tiara that matches the motif on her breastplate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge The Planes if more information is desired