New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

@Dantie: The being looks at you after your introductions.

"A follower of Pelor? Here? Listen well, Dantie. There is but ONE deity here. And she is MINE! MINEEEE!! Take this as your first and final warning. Leave my forest, or else you and your comrades shall end as topsoil. Gigglemug, tell that petty coven that they are next if they interfere."

The wind begins to change rapidly around the creature as the trees begin swaying back and forth.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well, I suspect that this is, in fact, not a friend, and may be Bailon. At least he is alone

Tarith moves in, and strikes, silently stabbing the figure in the back, going for extreme damage

Spoiler
    Show

So, 2 weapon attack, assuming need a move to get into position. Using the daggers, as this enemy will need a higher attack to hit, and I don't really want to burn wraithstrike yet.
    Blink grants a +2, haste another +1. If magebane applies, another +2
    dagger1(1d20+21)[39] damage(1d4-1)[3] magebane(2d6+2)[9] SA(3d6+12)[23] stealing 2 spells
    dagger2(1d20+21)[22] damage(1d4-1)[2] magebane(2d6+2)[10] SA(3d6+12)[17] stealing 0 spells, but one sla, and one active effect
    (please wait before listing what spells are stolen, as I intend on looking at the srd druid spell list and targeting some of those)
    Targeting: sla: Wildshape, effect: Ironskin spells: Transport Via Plants, Tree stride
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-15 at 10:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You move in to strike with your daggers, confident in your skills to remain unseen. Then, a tremendous surge of wind blasts around you, carrying bits of debris and attempting to lift you into the sky.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a Reflex DC 33 and a Fortitude DC 33

4. - Top - End - #244

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Ouch. DC 33 is a lot.(as in the unbeatable dc level)
    If it is vs a spell, add 2
    reflex(1d20+23)[32]
    fort(1d20+12)[28]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: As you move in behind the creature, the winds carry you aloft way above your party. As you are carried away, the branches in the canopy reach out and wrap around you with great force, holding you tight. he debris carried in the winds sinks into your mouth, producing a quick nausea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage: (3d8+14)[29] from the constriction damage by the plants above.

@The Party: You watch Tarith wrapped in branches way up high, almost out of view.

"You have been warned..."

The figure drops to the ground, ceasing all sentience and the trees wrapping around Tarith let loose, plummeting the spell thief to the ground.

6. - Top - End - #246

GreenSorcererElf

As Tarith is blasted by the wind into the sky, he frantically grabs onto the plants nearby to prevent himself from falling back to the ground. To his surprise, the branches grab him, and squeeze the breath from him, before dropping him. Sadly, he falls, trying to grab onto anything to slow down his fall, but is unable to grab onto anything, and hits the ground with a Thud. Tarith then shakily gets up, spitting debris as he does.

"That was... unpleasant."

Spoiler
    Show

Tarith is now at 17/74 health. fun.
    Does he take fall damage?
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Gigglemug appears next to you.

"Are you ok? That was Old Balion, the forest guardian. We must avoid fighting him like this. I was once told that she blessed him with gifts of wondrous power. Now you see why the forest is at his mercy."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Danite seeing the encounter Looks to the creature and says in a simple tone. You have given me your warning now let me give you mine. Turn away from this fiend of sands and salt and go back to the guardian who you once were. Do it for your goddess and I can bring you to her. I have been told by one of your old friends how to get in, and if you are willing to once again guard these woods then I shall reunite you with her. But I can not do so if you side with the vile lich you travel with. Do you really think he has your best interests at heart? Dantie says as he sees Tarith getting ready to attack. Think about it, you and her built this forest yet he now has you destroying it and filling it with unnatural things. Would your goddess be proud of you destroying what she loves? Would she be proud of the man you have become. Come and meet with me alone Great guardian and I promise that during this meeting no harm shall come of you unless you try to harm us. I have heard of your great deeds in serves of your goddess, but now you are straying from her path. Just then Tarith launches his attack and is sent flying into the air only to be stopped by tree branches. Dantie then looks back to the guardian, I did not know my friend would attack you, and I am sorry for that, but as you would protect your goddess he is only trying to protect us, please forgive him and accept my offer to help you. I would hate to see such a once great man fall into darkness. and with that Dantie waits for a reply.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+21)[23] ok lots of talking in that post all of it diplomacy. I will do 3 rolls for the three things that he is trying to do. 1. Convince him that he does not want a fight. 2. Convince the guardian that if he is willing to go back to how he was that they can bring him and reunite him with his goddess. and 3. That Dantie is not a threat to him as long as he is willing to change and be the man he once was. (1d20+21)[27] (1d20+21)[36] hope this works

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: As Tarith is launched upwards and tangled by the branches, the creature listens attentively to you.

"She...she...chose me. ME! What would you know, perorate. I have been assigned to guard her garden. Yet it is I, who after hundreds of years of loyal servitude get banned from her warmth. Like a dog who has outlived its usefulness. I WILL NOT BE DENIED MY RIGHT!"

The figure looks up at Tarith being constricted.

"Might makes right, Dantie. And now, I have all the might I need to prove it. If you are so insistent in proving your worth, pass her trials. Continue on your path, that I will not oppose you. But I cannot guarantee the same for the other denizens of my forest. Maybe I'll see you. Maybe I won't."

10. - Top - End - #250

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith walks over to a tree, and re-sets his dislocated shoulder.

"Gigglemug, today has not been a very good day. I assume there are some limitations on that ability? Actually, why don't you tell us what you know of Bailon's powers and abilities? And Dantie, do you have any healing magic handy? I won't be good for much more at this rate."

Spoiler
    Show

currently at 9/72 health, with 1 non-lethal point of damage. I rolled very poorly on the fall damage rolls, which is rather nifty though. Rolled like my warlock in another game has been(usually gets 20 damage with an 8d6 blast. avg should be 27
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

You have not been denied your right Balion. She has sent me to bring you back to her graces.(not per say a lie, Stiner told him to protect her, he is a guardian so....) No matter how strong you are their is only one way to enter her haven that you created, you know that way. Set aside your anger and come to me so that we together can go before her, so that not only you but I as well can feel her warmth.

As Balion replies to him he acknowledges what the old druid has said and bows his head. Thank you kind Guardian, but if I may ask why do you punish those that are in this garden of the goddess? Are they not blessed by her as well and thus deserve your protection? Instead you allow the fiend that walks along side you to cloud your judgement and hurt and destroy what you spent so long protecting. Help us Balion, help us to save your goddess before her garden is gone and he takes her as well. You know it Balion, he will not share her with you when he has her. He will do to her what he has done with everything else. Join us and we can go to her, and together stop this madness before it is to late. Dantie says.

Spoiler
    Show
    When the guardian leaves Dantie casts cure moderate wounds on Tarith (3d8+12)[24] healing. (1d20+21)[24] paragraph 1 diplomacy check (1d20+21)[23] paragraph 2 diplomacy check. Hope this helps us, after all I would rather try and avoid some things.

12. - Top - End - #252

GreenSorcererElf

"Thanks Dantie. I now feel like I am halfway to death's door, instead of knocking on it. Do you have another healing spell available? Why are you talking to him? He is insane, and thus, a reasonable conversation is unlikely. If we are going to deal with him, we will need to find him, and possibly recruit some allies."

Tarith continues scraping bits of wood and other debris out of his clothing and hair, and wipes the sap off of his daggers before sheathing them.
    Spoiler
    Show

now at 35/74, which is a much nicer number.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-15 at 11:44 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie: "Might makes right, cleric. Prove your worth and face her trials. I have learned long ago the pain of solitude. I now have a way of easing it.... AND I SHALL NOT BE DENIED!!!!"

The voice booms as the twig construction drops lifeless on the ground. The guardian's presence is gone.

@Tarith: "Old Balion has the powers of a druid, but they have been augmented by his goddess. I know he can watch the entire forest, and that this one can relate to him, but that was long ago. In more recent decades, he has become twisted. His powers foul. He now destroys the very forest he vowed to protect, leaving nothing but fire and ash in his wake. That is how he fuels his fell powers. I knew his companion, Aluserk. Balion killed him and through a dark ritual brought it back to life... changed. Both prowl the forest at night looking for trespassers to kill. I have seen him call forth pillars of fire from the sky and animate the trees around him to do his bidding. Add to this the shroud of salt, and well... I think you get the picture." Gigglemug frowns and looks down as he says this.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

As Balions last words ring in Danties ears he remembers Tarith and how he needs healing. Seeing no better time then now he looks to everyone. Come near me, everyone. It is time to reveal the power of Pelor to this guardian. And with that Dantie begins chanting. After a few seconds he finishes and a bright flash emits from where Dantie once stood. There now we shall all have some protection. Dantie says as he looks at his work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Used the spell vigorous circle, DMM it so it last all day, we all have fast healing 3. So 3hp every 6 seconds Tarith. And the flash is Dantie letting his aura lose, you know his lawful good aura that is as powerful to him. Hoping Balion can see it, though it does not cause damage it is a show that he has accepted the challenge.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Elsewhere, deeper into the forest...

Old Balion looks south towards a flash of light and nods solemnly.

"What were you doing a few moments ago, Guardian? You just stood there!", Kazym slithers behind him trailing sand.

"None of your business, lich. I may have met someone whom I can relate, that is all."

Kazym looks concerned.

"Balion, my friend. You have been away from her for so, so long. Snakes all over, mighty Guardian. Snakes with forked tongues. You must ward against them. That is why I am here. Now, how much longer until we reach her?"

Old Balion turns to face the dry lich.

"I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND! And yes... there are snakes all over."

He walks past the lich, intentionally bumping into him as he rides Aluserk and starts riding at a casual pace.

Kazym looks at Balion, then turns to see the vanishing flash.

Filthy ape... you are exhausting my patience!, the Seneschal's mind races with thoughts most foul.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-16 at 01:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bishop takes another drink from his decanter. Then replies, "Was that real? Or was I imagining things again? Either way, this is no ordinary forest."

Spoiler
    Show
    I've been busy this past week, hopefully things will slow down and I can get on the forums more often again.
    Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-16 at 09:25 AM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

17. - Top - End - #257

RedWizardGuy

Xander spends the encounter levitating in the air, studying the druid, and avoiding further ground based attacks, upon seeing the Tarith launch into the air Xander prepares to use his levitate ability to slow Tariths fall, knowing the trees will eventually release the thief, once it does Xander concentrates on his spell, slowing Tarith's decent, giving him a soft landing, after druid leaves Xander lowers himself to the ground and returns to the others.

This Guardian truly is powerful, I wonder If he must stay within this forest to wield his might, or if it works outside of the forest as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge nature (At Balion) (1d20+15)[25] If i can't levitate Tarith I will edit.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

18. - Top - End - #258

GreenSorcererElf

"Well, Thank you for the healing, Dantie. Gigglemug, thank you for the information. This looks like it will be interesting, at the least. I wonder if it would be possible to persuade Bailon to fight this lich. It would make things a bit simpler. Still, we should find this Shepard. Dantie's spell should finish healing me... eventually. Gigglemug, what can you tell us about the Shepard?."

As Tarith walks on, he is slowly moving more easily, and his many bruises slowly disappear.

If this Bailon is a druid, we could burn down the forest to draw him out, although it will be difficult to persuade the fey.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-16 at 09:44 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #259

RedWizardGuy

As the are walking away from where they encountered Balion.
    Yes, thank you for the information Gigglemug, it should prove helpful in the future, however we should have requested the information before we first encountered the man, and as such found ourselves unprepared to properly deal with him. To avoid further surprises would you be able to tell us about this shepherd we are traveling to see?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: You watch Balion's nature puppet attack Tarith and speak to Dantie and immediately your mind races with information from the many books you have read at the Academy regarding Natural Magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is no ordinary power. Although the spells used are some commonly associated with druids, such as commanding winds and animating plants, Balion was able to mix both spell effects at the same time. Add to that the ability to recreate a bogun-like construct out of nowhere and within seconds. Power like that has been observed only among druids of the highest power, as well as nature deities.

@Tarith & Xander: Gigglemug looks around the area, visibly shaken after witnessing Balion's appearance. He then calms down and looks up at both of you.

"The Shepherd is a tree. Probably the very first that took root in this forest. Very wise and also very old, reason why he sleeps most of the time. I was told by Uwellyn that when she landed here, It was the Shepherd that caught her during her fall and placed her under his care at the base of his roots, protecting her until the three Guardians stumbled across her. If someone knows the way to her, that should be him."

21. - Top - End - #261

GreenSorcererElf

"Let me get this straight: We were going to seek help against Bailon and the lich, and you want to talk to a tree of no significant powers? If you want us to find this goddess, you might want to consider that she has not removed the power she gave Bailon, and, thus, is supporting him."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #262

Bishop continues drinking, following behind everyone else, then whispers to himself, "This doesn't sound suspicious at all....Hopefully it will be fun though."
    Intelligent doors FTW

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Gigglemug shakes his head at your comment.

"No, Tarith. The Shepherd is a tree, yes. But he is also a spirit. Maybe Uwellyn mentioned this? The fey woods has its own guardians, before the goddess landed here. Guardians as old as the forest itself. The Shepherd is the oldest and wisest of them all. He has powers as old as the forest itself, and a wisdom to match. You should know that you can't judge something merely by its appearance or name. And regarding the goddess supporting Old Balion, I doubt that would be the case. Uwellyn told me she sealed herself away a long time ago. It is her severed connection to the Guardian that has him like this. I am certain were she here, we wouldn't be in this situation."

24. - Top - End - #264

GreenSorcererElf

"Gigglemug, that sounds like wishful thinking to me. Never ever base plans off of what others will do, if you have no control over their actions. Why wasn't this Shepherd approached earlier? It would seem to be the thing to do after Bailon went crazy."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #265

RedWizardGuy

As they walk, Xander addresses the party.
    If it was not evident by how the being departed, I do not believe that Balion himself was present, and instead we encountered a puppet created by him possibly to learn what it could of out abilities before we meet the real one.

Xander looks to Gillgemug.
    A tree you say? I have read about ancient sentient trees but have never had the opportunity to meet one this should be rather interesting indeed, does this tree have a standard method of communicating or will some particular method be required?

Looking at Tarith.
    The tree may not be able to aid directly in defeating Balion or the lich, but I imagine a being of that age has access to a plethora of knowledge, and may be able to inform us of a weakness or specific tactic witch may aid us. As for the goddess, I some how suspect she may be some sort of avatar or offspring of a higher deity, in witch case her ability to bestow and revoke blessings may be tied to physical contact, or at the very least may require one to be in her presence, witch could explain why she has been sealed away.

Xander then looks to Dantie.
    Dantie, you seemed to have some success in communicating the Balion's construct, if we met the real one, do you have the spell prepared to attempt to calm his emotions in hopes we can relieve that witch is clouding his mind, allowing you the ability for a more clear conversation?

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't realize it was a spell in effect, here is the relevant check to identify a spell in effect, since you already gave the information. spellcraft (1d20+21)[38]

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

GreenSorcererElf

"Xander, I would suggest not making any assumptions about what that goddess will and will not do, as she was essentially raised by Bailon and his friends. Creating a situation where we are relying on her to save us against him would be a stupid idea."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #267

RedWizardGuy

Tarith, I have no assumptions of the goddesses allegiance, she may even have been sent by a evil deity in order to turn those those she "blessed" with her abilities into agents of evil, I am simply speculating on the potential usefulness and abilities of both the tree we seek and the goddess herself. I see no reason a tree would choose to lie to us, especially in the company of a brownie such as Gigglemug.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gigglemug is a brownie right? I couldn't remember if it was a brownie or a pixie. But was leaning toward the former. @Dantie, the spell I mentioned in the last post was Calm Emotions if you were not sure by the way.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

GreenSorcererElf

"And the difference between you and me. you are an optimist, asking why would the tree lie. I am a realist, and ask why would the tree tell the truth. Additionally, apparently, the tree has not been approached before now. Why?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #269

RedWizardGuy

It is odd the tree has not been approached as of yet, hopefully Gigglemug will be able to shed some light on that matter, one would think that his council would have been sought long before the forest was in the state is is currently, and have no speculations as of to why such a valuable resource has gone unused until now.
    As to my faith in the tree, from my readings such beings have more interest in keeping the balance of nature, and as such as long as we are come offering our assistance and mean no harm to the forest it dwells, I see no reason it would chose to device us....then again, much has been strange about these woods, so all of my speculations could be horribly incorrect.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander & Tarith: "You are right. The covens sought The Shepherd when Old Balion became unstable. It was he who lend us a hand in subduing the Guardian. That was many years ago. Since then, the Shepherd has slumbered in his grove, along with his children. When Balion resumed his attack on the forest with the lich, the Eastern Coven sent emissaries to seek his help and council, but..."

Gigglemug ponders on his next set of answers.

"The fey never returned."

Spoiler
    Show
    @Xander: The spells used by Balion against Tarith were an imporoved version of Animate Plants + Entangle + Whirlwind + Contagion
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-16 at 05:21 PM.