New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [4E DnD] Expertise dice? In my 4th edition? (PEACH)!

The "expertise dice" mechanic introduced for the fighter in DnD Next has proven to be quite popular with the play-test audience. I personally think it's pretty cool, though my current game of choice is DnD 4th edition still. It seemed to me that it would be a pretty easy mechanic to port over, so I've given it a whirl.

Here's the warrior. I'm not especially attached to the name, and I'd be fine with changing it if I could think of something better. I do think this iteration may be a bit overtuned, but it's just my first draft. Any feedback or ideas for other mechanics/maneuvers would be very much appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [4E DnD] Expertise dice? In my 4th edition? (PEACH)!

Neat. But I would start with focus. Make a choice less build to start?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Neat. But I would start with focus. Make a choice less build to start?
    Why? I don't like choiceless builds.

I suppose I could do something equivalent by making "suggested builds."
    Last edited by Nu; 2012-10-07 at 07:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Because better a well written choice less build than a badly written build with choices?

Start with no or few choices, get it reasonable, then add choices. Ie make a functioning defender fighter then a functioning striker fighter...

With half the content you can copy edit easier. Which allows for faster revisions. When build one seems tasty, make build two.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Because better a well written choice less build than a badly written build with choices?

Start with no or few choices, get it reasonable, then add choices. Ie make a functioning defender fighter then a functioning striker fighter...

With half the content you can copy edit easier. Which allows for faster revisions. When build one seems tasty, make build two.
    Is there a maneuver in particular that seems particularly egregious? I didn't make very many of them, so I was thinking they were similar enough to existing powers to work well, but if there's a specific power you had in mind I'm all ears.

Seems a waste now to scale it "back" by removing powers and affixing it to a certain build, but I can take any feedback into consideration, in particular if it seems as though a particular maneuver is too good to not take, or will never be taken.