New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Search disabled, maintenance, and other changes

In order to improve the stability of the current forums, as well as to prepare for an upgrade in the future, I switched the forums off to perform some maintenance tasks.

If these tasks were successful, they were scheduled to take several hours. If unsuccessful, we'd know pretty much immediately and revert to an unchanged state. Unfortunately, due to the extremely large size of the forum database, this process ended taking up far longer than anticipated. In the end, I made the decision to dump the entire search index because it was the only remaining table and would take far too long to finish the maintenance. As such, searching has been disabled.

How much this helps the current server remains to be seen, but it's important to remember that these maintenance tasks performed now will reduce the time needed in the final upgrade by an almost 1:1 ratio, as they need to be performed before or during the upgrade. However, it comes with a caveat. Due to the time taken to perform these tasks, I may need to revise and greatly increase the estimate on how long the final upgrade will take.

The services and settings are still being tuned. I will be monitoring and making further changes. So, you can expect the forum to be switched off or unavailable for shorter periods in the future as the adjustments take place.

If stability and speed is greatly improved, I may start the process of reindexing the forums, in order to reenable search. This will take several days and have the effect of slowing the server right back down during this time.

In addition, there will be future maintenance tasks that may need to be performed in the future. This may require the forums to be switched off again for several hours at a time, but hopefully not for as long a time as the recent tasks, until the final upgrade takes place.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Search disabled, maintenance, and other changes

I just wanted to drop by and say thanks for all the hard work you, and the other admins do to keep the forum the great place it is!

Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Is it likely that we will lose posts in this future upgrade?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Servers are significantly better, thanks for all the hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

::Gasp cough sputter:: Ahhh!!! Thank goodness, I was having some nasty withdrawal symptoms here.

Way to go, Rawhide! Hope the Search function is up soon. Google should work in the interim.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alright! It's good to know what was going on for those three days, and that it'll happen again in short bursts before the final upgrade. I was ailing without my PMs there for a while, so I guess it's time to copy the pertinent ones into a document again so I'm not without them for any length of time.

So hey, thanks for the advanced warning on the rest of these. This one wound up blindsiding me and my little group down in freeform, but I'll be sure to check site issues more often from now on so I'm not caught so offguard next time.

And on that note, tata for now.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Thank you very much, rawhide. I know it's been a long work.

I second the desire that search functionality be restored when practicable. We might as well start fresh with a new database. There is no value to keeping old posts around if they cannot be found. Inaccessible posts are no better than deleted posts. I'd rather have a clean database with intact search than a tremendous old database I cannot find anything in.

Also, I have a professional interest in mysql. I'm rather curious as to exactly what problems were had, because I intend to construct a similar database for my company.If there are scaling issues that can be better solved by Oracle or Db2 or SQL Server, I'd really, really like to know about it.

Again, thank you very much for your hard work!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I'm rather curious as to exactly what problems were had, because I intend to construct a similar database for my company.
    The database was huge, I underestimated how long it would take. It needed to be done, I would have given more warning and better messages had I known. That's pretty much it, there weren't any issues.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll just chime in and say that the site is running much, much better for me too. Thanks!
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if you guys can, but it would have been nice to have the info in the news section, seeing as we couldn't get to the forum. Otherwise, I think it already feels faster!
    Likely a Placebo effect
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    I don't know if you guys can, but it would have been nice to have the info in the news section, seeing as we couldn't get to the forum. Otherwise, I think it already feels faster!
    Likely a Placebo effect
    There was a message left which you could see when you tried to access the forums.

Though, for a couple of hours in the middle, the message did say "backup in progress - 30 mins". But other than that, you had all the information I had.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, GITP, I have missed you so much. Rawhide, is there a place where I can hug the forum? You know what? I don't care.

*Huggles*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay, my mandatory forum vacation is over!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Me yesterday evening:
    Spoiler
    Show

Glad to have the forums back up. Thanks for letting us know about the future upgrades.

As for searching, we can always type site:giantitp.com into Google and search that way, so it's not all bad.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if it helped.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd like to mention that not more than 20 minutes ago when I was trying to load a thread I got a "500 Internal Server Error" like I would tend to get back before the 3 days down-time.

So I hope that the maintenance helped in the long run, because I'm just noticing slower load times and that one error so far.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    I'd like to mention that not more than 20 minutes ago when I was trying to load a thread I got a "500 Internal Server Error" like I would tend to get back before the 3 days down-time.

So I hope that the maintenance helped in the long run, because I'm just noticing slower load times and that one error so far.
    Probably due to the fact that the server had just been rebooted.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Me yesterday evening:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one who feels this way too?

Hopefully it doesn't take that long next time.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the upside here is that science has been advanced, and I think we can conclusively say that forum addiction is a thing that exists. *shudder*

In all seriousness, thanks for the update, Rawhide, and I do find the site loading faster, at least right now.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well... it's hard to complain about a free service. I'm just glad we're back, and I can go back to DM'ing my games.

I'm sorry the database was such a handful for you, and I'm grateful for the work you do to make this such a great place to post in.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I can use site search on Google if I really need to find something.
    Generally it works almost as well, so no worries.
    Thanks for all the hard work you put into this site. It is a real treat to be part of such a great community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I second the desire that search functionality be restored when practicable. We might as well start fresh with a new database. There is no value to keeping old posts around if they cannot be found. Inaccessible posts are no better than deleted posts. I'd rather have a clean database with intact search than a tremendous old database I cannot find anything in.
    As Ravens cry points out, Google search makes every post accessable.

Use "site:giantitp.com <search terms>". It's nifty.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

23. - Top - End - #23
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

And so ends the most productive three-day stretch I've had in six years.

I, too, am grateful to Rawhide for all the hard work keeping all the ones and zeros in line around here.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    And so ends the most productive three-day stretch I've had in six years.

I, too, am grateful to Rawhide for all the hard work keeping all the ones and zeros in line around here.
    The real bright side is that you didn't have a single rules violation, scrubbed post, or locked thread in 3 full days. I wonder if that's a record?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, I don't think there was ever a larger portion of the userbase thinking and muttering profanities while looking at the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

So if search is down, does the fancy searching trick via Google still work? I'm trying to remember how it works, but it'd be something like giantitp.com:Searchgoeshere or something. Right? Would that still let us search for things on the site without the in-site search?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You just need "site:www.giantitp.com" (no quotes) before or after your search terms. And, yes, it will still work just fine, as it's using google and not the forum search.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    You just need "site:www.giantitp.com" (no quotes) before or after your search terms. And, yes, it will still work just fine, as it's using google and not the forum search.
    Yeaaaaah that was it. I wonder if maybe we could get the Search button back, but just have it redirect to a Google search pre-loaded with that in it? Or is that too much work/too dumb of an idea?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding the site search. Is it possible to use google to search a specific thread? I've been trying with little results.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Regarding the site search. Is it possible to use google to search a specific thread? I've been trying with little results.
    Yes. Put the thread title in quotes. It's not perfect (you will sometimes get some outside results), and some thread titles are too generic for good results, but it generally works.