New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Search disabled, maintenance, and other changes

As a new poster, this lack of being able to find posts from users... including myself is quite painful.

It's definitely making it harder for me to see if something's been posted a dozen times before.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZDPhoenix View Post
    As a new poster, this lack of being able to find posts from users... including myself is quite painful.

It's definitely making it harder for me to see if something's been posted a dozen times before.
    Don't worry about that too much. Everyone gets ninja'd from time to time.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Will the Search function be permanently disabled or do you plan on restoring it after some major update? Because stalking fellow TW players was my main way of finding new interesting games. As was searching for a specific type of game recruitment (like Lords of Creation for instance) ordered by topic creation date (not possible with google search).

Current Status: Awake

Total War Factions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Co-GM of Imperial City.

Shards of War: The Caliphate of Ethiopa. Faithful inheritor of Kherans godly empire.

Broken City: Orc Uprising. Liberated Orcs that want to build a new life at the outskirts of Sav Altulas.

Voyage: Free Folk - Green Star. Your friendly neighbourhood anarchist pirate community.

[Defunct]
    Warhammer 40k: Gronarks Band. Kunning Blood Axe Warband.

GMT +2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rafinius View Post
    stalking fellow TW players
    haha, figures you secretly stalk all of us...
    Last edited by oblivion6; 2012-11-01 at 06:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you cannot find a thread on something after a couple searches using an outside search engine and checking the threads viewable on the default settings, then the thread you want to create probably doesn't exist*. As such, posting a new thread is the proper way to start a discussion on your topic of choice. Just be sure to put a bit of thought into new threads. I have found that even the most interesting topic produces poor results if it is presented in a haphazard manner.

If you are trying to decide if something has already been mentioned in a thread, reading the thread in its entirety is probably the best way to find if something has been mentioned.

Oh, and finally, welcome to the playground.

*There is probably a level of due-dilligence I missed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

This is why disabling the search feature is the absolute last thing I want/wanted to do. For now, please use DuckDuckGo, Google, Bing, Yahoo, or your search engine of choice.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Is this lack of thread and term search the same as my seeming inability to search for posts by a particular author, or is that a separate issue?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by satorian View Post
    Is this lack of thread and term search the same as my seeming inability to search for posts by a particular author, or is that a separate issue?
    Searching for posts by an author uses the search function. So yes, it is caused by that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by satorian View Post
    It's the same issue. Every manner of searching is disabled.

And sadly google isn't a great alternative for searching by posts.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rafinius View Post
    Will the Search function be permanently disabled or do you plan on restoring it after some major update?
    After eight days, this question has not been answered, so I'll try again. Will the Search function be permanently disabled or do you plan on restoring it after some major update?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    After eight days, this question has not been answered, so I'll try again. Will the Search function be permanently disabled or do you plan on restoring it after some major update?
    From the very first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    In order to improve the stability of the current forums, as well as to prepare for an upgrade in the future, I switched the forums off to perform some maintenance tasks.

If stability and speed is greatly improved, I may start the process of reindexing the forums, in order to reenable search. This will take several days and have the effect of slowing the server right back down during this time.
    This seems to imply (at least to me) that it's temporary, but possibly long-term. In addition, every time it's been switched off in the past, it has been brought back eventually.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Similarly, Rawhide's most recent post in this thread both expresses how regrettable disabling the search function is and what you can do "for now."
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

13. - Top - End - #103
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, thanks for the hard work and all, but what are we supposed to do if we need to, y'know, actually search for something? What if we need to find that one specific piece of homebrew for our DM, or what if we want to find a specific type of game? What if we want to find any piece of content relating to phoenixes?

YES. Yes we do.

Postscript: Sorry if this has been asked before. There was no search function available for me to use to find out.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2013-01-09 at 12:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

This is why disabling the search feature is the absolute last thing I want/wanted to do. For now, please use DuckDuckGo, Google, Bing, Yahoo, or your search engine of choice.
    *Directs you to this*

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the hard work and all, but what are we supposed to do if we need to, y'know, actually search for something? What if we need to find that one specific piece of homebrew for our DM, or what if we want to find a specific type of game? What if we want to find any piece of content relating to phoenixes?
    It's not perfect, but appending "site:giantitp.com" to search strings in your engine of choice is generally a fairly effective stop-gap. Judicious use of "intitle:" or similar, or phrase-quotes to indicate forum name, may also be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    It's not perfect, but appending "site:giantitp.com" to search strings in your engine of choice is generally a fairly effective stop-gap. Judicious use of "intitle:" or similar, or phrase-quotes to indicate forum name, may also be helpful.
    I didn't know about the "intitle:" command-line for searches. That'll be useful, so thanks.
    Any other useful things like this?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

YES. Yes we do.

Postscript: Sorry if this has been asked before. There was no search function available for me to use to find out.
    Now, be reasonable friend.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264215

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265150

Finding both of these took a third of the time necessary to copy/paste the URL. All I had to do was scroll down the forum issues page. Searching manually, within reason, is always possible.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Finding both of these took a third of the time necessary to copy/paste the URL. All I had to do was scroll down the forum issues page. Searching manually, within reason, is always possible.
    "Reason" has a highly flexible definition here. Just sayin'.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

YES. Yes we do.

The in-built search was rubbish anyway, when it was active there were endless threads about it not working and people always suggested site:giantitp.com on Google even then because it was usually more accurate and definitely more flexible when searching keywords.

If you know a piece of homebrew well enough that you want to use it, then you will be able to successfully Google up the title/keywords from it. You're just whining about nothing.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Colossus in the Playground

Not about nothing. There are things the search function could do that a Google search can't - like finding every mention of a word in a post in order of most recent, for example. As such I really look forward to having it back again.
    But yeah, abusing the mods about it is hardly going to get it fixed any faster.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Well then ... why not just put a Google search par right in the site itself? I've seen it don before.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Not about nothing. There are things the search function could do that a Google search can't - like finding every mention of a word in a post in order of most recent, for example. As such I really look forward to having it back again.
    But yeah, abusing the mods about it is hardly going to get it fixed any faster.
    Whoa there, hold on. I am not abusing anybody. I am engaging in legitimate conversation, asking questions and receiving answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    "Reason" has a highly flexible definition here. Just sayin'.
    This is true. However, it is noticeably easier to do one thing, than to do another thing. If both achieve the same results, then the first thing is more reasonable.

If you spend five minutes looking for a remote instead of ten seconds hitting a button, for that five minutes you're a sucker. I also find it funny how people always open threads about the search function with "I looked and couldn't find anything on the topic", which means they didnt bother scrolling down the very page they had to go to to start the thread. It's an automated response, almost, not one with critical thinking applied.

Whoa there, hold on. I am not abusing anybody. I am engaging in legitimate conversation, asking questions and receiving answers.
    Not you, specifically. But a thread about the search function pops up roughly every week. It's continuous, and some of the people don't have any reason to have done so, having the opportunity for reading the prior incarnations fo the Search Disabled threads. I actually applaud you, for coming into ane xisting thread on the topic and making your case.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Well then ... why not just put a Google search par right in the site itself? I've seen it don before.
    vBulletin: "I don't believe I can do that, Dave."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Hi,
    I don't post that often and I am preparing to post something to the Monster in the Darkness thread. Before I do so, I wanted to properly prepare by searching the thread and it's 5 predecessors to see if it's been previously discussed. There's no point posting a "new" idea I've had if it's already been discussed to death.

I know there is the first post on that thread, maintained by Grey Wolf, but I just wanted to be thorough. I was really surprised to find I can't search any more... so eventually I found this thread.

So this post isn't a "please can we have the search back" request. I've read the relevant posts here and I understand the situation.

However I would like to suggest that perhaps the F.A.Q should be changed, if the absence of the search function is going to persist long term.

At the moment, there is a specific topic in the F.A.Q called "Can I Search the Forum", here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/faq.p...b_board_search

It might be good to put something in the FAQ saying that search is unavailable for the time being.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    It's an automated response, almost, not one with critical thinking applied.
    Automation is a very good thing.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Searching the forums is incredibly easy, just use Google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optimization+si...w.giantitp.com

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Searching the forums is incredibly easy, just use Google:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optimization+si...w.giantitp.com
    that does work, to an extent. one feature google really can't provide, that the orignal search function could, was listing items found through search in order of... "freshness"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    that does work, to an extent. one feature google really can't provide, that the orignal search function could, was listing items found through search in order of... "freshness"
    After you run your search, go to the link for "advanced search" at the bottom of the page. It will allow you to limit your search to certain time spans like last week, last month, etc. It's not precisely in order of recency, but it helps narrow things down.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-01-18 at 09:59 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Automation is a very good thing.
    It can be, but is not by default. A boxer automatically puts up a guard when startled. That can be good. A range-shooter puts their brass in their pocket while firing, that can be bad.

Are you playin devil's advocate, going off on a tangent, think my point is wrong or just want the last word?