New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Search disabled, maintenance, and other changes

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Searching the forums is incredibly easy, just use Google:
    Not "incredibly easy"; I can never remember what the thing you type in to limit the search to a domain is. I think it's "site:gitp.com", but maybe it's "site:http://www.gitp.com" or "site: gitp.com" with that space being incredibly important. if I do it wrong and it doesn't work, I'm often too frustrated to make another attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Are you playin devil's advocate, going off on a tangent, think my point is wrong or just want the last word?
    I think your point is...well, questionable, at least, and maybe incorrect, I wouldn't say "wrong"...and am going off on a tangent, arguably also devil's advocate (frankly I do that so reflexively I'm not sure it can be distinguished from other behavior). Mostly I'm just justifying my own feelings that laziness is not a sin but an inevitability of proper behavior, that we human beings are born and bred to seek the most efficient solution and avoid expending physical or mental effort any way we possibly can, conserving calories and attention span to maximize our survival chances on a second-by-second basis, and so I'm completely within my rights to want idiot-proof one-button access to the search function. (By which same token Rawhide is completely within his rights to say that would be more work than he wants to do, leaving me to complain all I want to until I recognize it's not getting me anywhere and quit wasting my effort.)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

FYI, it's site:giantitp.com And google will often give you the options of clicking 'find more results from this site' even if you run a standard search, which amounts to the same thing.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Not "incredibly easy"; I can never remember what the thing you type in to limit the search to a domain is. I think it's "site:gitp.com", but maybe it's "site:http://www.gitp.com" or "site: gitp.com" with that space being incredibly important. if I do it wrong and it doesn't work, I'm often too frustrated to make another attempt.
    Too frustrated to do 8 seconds worth of work instead of 5 seconds worth of work is a questionable rubric, though. The cost is negligible, and only inflated by a sense of expectation. It's the equivalent of opening your book and dropping your bookmark; sure, you'll have to read a few paragraphs to see what you recall, maybe flip around a couple pages, but that is barely a hassle compared to the reading of the entire book up until that point, or - to use a direct analogue - complaining about your bookmark falling out until someone else can tell you where it was suppsoed to go.

I think your point is...well, questionable, at least, and maybe incorrect, I wouldn't say "wrong"...and am going off on a tangent, arguably also devil's advocate (frankly I do that so reflexively I'm not sure it can be distinguished from other behavior). Mostly I'm just justifying my own feelings that laziness is not a sin but an inevitability of proper behavior, that we human beings are born and bred to seek the most efficient solution and avoid expending physical or mental effort any way we possibly can
    You say my point is off, adn then go on to make my point. This thread has "I didn't know anyone said anything, because the search function doesn't work and I couldn't search". That is, quite frankly, asinine. There are methods of searching which dont involve clicking a tab, opening a bar, typing in a phrase, narrowing down your search results, scrolling through those results, clicking the link you think is appropriate, and seeing whether or not it is relevant. You could instead, go to the section of the site for these problems, click the access link, scroll down, and find the threads.

Specifically, those people who "couldn't find a thread on the topic" didn't look. There are three threads on the topic right there, and willfully ignoring them in order to try and reinforce your point is only going to backfire. You say you have a right to efficiency, and I agree. The efficient solution (based on time and measure of energy expended to get the desired results) is to scroll down the dang page (two seconds, possible a single calorie burnt), and not to make another thread, expound at length aboput how inconvenienced you are, and say that you tried searching and found nothing.

Two seconds of effort versus five minutes of much less productive effort. See?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

Google also doesn't let you find posts by a specific person, which can be annoying. Doesn't let you find posts about a specific person, either, unless that person has a unique name and doesn't make avatars nor say anything that warrants being sigged.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Ok, everyone, stop it. Search is gone because it had to go, and it will remain gone until it is ready to return. There is absolutely no point in complaining about it being gone or what you can or cannot do, it will not make it return any quicker.

If you wish to search these forums, you will need to use an external search engine, there's no two ways about it.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #126
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I realize it was negligent of me, given i found another with a bit of scrolling, but simply on the basis of no further threads on it once they're buried, i suggest this be stickied. Apologies if this board doesn't move fast enough for this to be a concern, not trying to endorse lazyness, simply less posts from idiots like me, etc etc etc.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Do idiots really read stickied threads before they post though? ^^

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Mmh... fair point.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Google also doesn't let you find posts by a specific person, which can be annoying. Doesn't let you find posts about a specific person, either, unless that person has a unique name and doesn't make avatars nor say anything that warrants being sigged.
    I was able to find That Lanky Bugger's famous (or infamous) story of the Worst D&D Session, Ever just by googling "Giant in the Playground That Lanky Bugger"

Of course quite a few people look up that story, so Google is ready. Don't know how you would go about searching for my aimless babbling...
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I specifically asked everyone to stop arguing. Therefore, several posts that rehashed the argument posted before my post telling everyone to stop it have been deleted.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #131
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Ok, everyone, stop it. Search is gone because it had to go, and it will remain gone until it is ready to return. There is absolutely no point in complaining about it being gone or what you can or cannot do, it will not make it return any quicker.

If you wish to search these forums, you will need to use an external search engine, there's no two ways about it.
    But the people need a topic to complain about. Its human nature to complain about something (feel free to join me on my Bitch about Telstra and its lousy service to any and all ~ 4 days after paying the bill and they still fail to reconnect my landline.)
    Last edited by Leon; 2013-02-26 at 12:16 PM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

what happened to the overnight off for maintenance thing? I know the forum used to be off awhile each night for something; Is there no more regularly scheduled downtime?
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    I was able to find That Lanky Bugger's famous (or infamous) story of the Worst D&D Session, Ever just by googling "Giant in the Playground That Lanky Bugger"

Of course quite a few people look up that story, so Google is ready. Don't know how you would go about searching for my aimless babbling...
    Trying to duplicate this gets me like, five results for this thread, and nothing else. Sadness.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Trying to duplicate this gets me like, five results for this thread, and nothing else. Sadness.
    Are you searching with the quote marks around the tags? I'm fairly sure Surfing HalfOrc was just using them to group the keywords together, so while the only time all those words appear in that sequence is this thread, the keywords by themselves will bring up Lanky's thread (though for me, the first result was a thread that linked to three threads in 'the Lanky Bugger Saga', with the original thread a few results down).

15. - Top - End - #135
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    what happened to the overnight off for maintenance thing? I know the forum used to be off awhile each night for something; Is there no more regularly scheduled downtime?
    The half hour or so of nightly downtime seems to be gone, but I've noticed that the forums always become totally inaccessible (not even a "down for backup" message, just timing out) for about 5 to 10 minutes starting at 2 am Eastern time. So, it's shorter and at a different time, but it seems to still be here.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The half hour or so of nightly downtime seems to be gone, but I've noticed that the forums always become totally inaccessible (not even a "down for backup" message, just timing out) for about 5 to 10 minutes starting at 2 am Eastern time. So, it's shorter and at a different time, but it seems to still be here.
    Yeah. It's supposed to do that. I think. Used to be 4 AM Eastern time for me.
    Last edited by Viera Champion; 2013-03-21 at 06:49 PM.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Viera Champion View Post
    Yeah. It's supposed to do that. I think. Used to be 4 AM Eastern time for me.
    This is a different thing, actually; after the last round of server updates, the 4am database backup was history. This is a thing where from 2:00-2:05AM Eastern the site won't load and you get database errors, like clockwork.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

18. - Top - End - #138

I have been attempting to locate all of my own threads, since I am going to consolidate all of my homebrew, and get c opies back on my computer since my old hard-drive died.

I'm hoping to get some assistance with this, since without search, I cannot complete my task before the older threads and materials are deleted or archived.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    Bunny
    /\ /|
    \ V/
    | "")
    / \ \
    *(__\_\

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Threads you started/have subscribed too? You can reach those through the User CP.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

You can't find threads you've started right now - that uses search.

Try Google with this command:

site:giantitp.com/forums Ralasha "homebrew design"

Keep the quotes so google treats the phrase as the search command. If you post a lot in HD, you'll get a lot of results beyond just your thread. I show 547 results; maybe you can think of a way to narrow it down a bit, but if not you'll have to dig through that list.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #141

Kthanks. That's all I needed. Thank you very much.
    Internet currently unreliable, please have patience.

[COLOR="Red"]We require additional Pylons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Cleric(2)/Monk(3)/Ranger(2)/Sorcerer(4)
    With the Ability Scores:
    Strength-16
    Dexterity-16
    Constitution-18
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-14

My pets:
    Spoiler
    Show

Kitten:
      /l、