New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Premium Edition SpC

Amazon is offering the core retreads here and here etc.

These searches also revealed an effective Amazon pre-announcement of an SpC retread available from 16 Apr 2013

Ed: fixed the URL tags
    Last edited by nedz; 2012-10-06 at 12:28 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Premium Edition SpC

Fingers crossed for MiC and ToB as well!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Amazon is offering the core retreads here and here etc.

These searches also revealed an effective Amazon pre-announcement of an SpC retread available from 16 Apr 2013
    Your second url has been placed inside two URL tags. Or you have messed something else about it, but it's probably something with the tags.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldebryn View Post
    Your second url has been placed inside two URL tags. Or you have messed something else about it, but it's probably something with the tags.
    This is what his second link should have been! :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks - fixed it now.
    I'm not quite sure how that happened ?
    Still: that's what you get for not testing
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If someone has acquired the Premium Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Player's Handbook with Errata, I'd be interested in knowing if they've updated Spring Attack to match the text in the leather-bound Special Edition Player's Handbook 3.5:
    When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can split your move action in that round in order to move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. You can't use this feat if you are wearing heavy armor.

You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.
    That was some "stealth errata" there, and knowing if WotC included it would tell a lot about their attention to detail regarding the 3.5 edition of D&D.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

So, apparently they've gone through with their idea of releasing the Core books, plus a few essential supplements in Premium editions, before releasing Next?

Will we see an updated Draconic Polymorph spell, or will they remove that bit from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list?

That said: the one thing I'm really interested regarding the Premium PHB is the Paladin. Are there any stealth changes that might regard some notice? I'd say the same about the Monk, and Power Attack (every time I've seen the feat in a non-book system, it usually caps at 5 points).

Here's hoping that those news also involve a Premium MIC. I already have those books, but the MIC is a book that I believe is a must-have. I presume they'll also do a reprint of the Rules Compendium.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Damm, we're all going to have to buy these books - just to find out what the rules changes are !
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I just got so excited.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Power Attack (every time I've seen the feat in a non-book system, it usually caps at 5 points).
    Non-book system? Are you referring to D&D computer games? Because they almost always bastardize the rules for the sake of balance or game mechanics or <insert excuse here>.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-10-06 at 09:09 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    If someone has acquired the Premium Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Player's Handbook with Errata, I'd be interested in knowing if they've updated Spring Attack to match the text in the leather-bound Special Edition Player's Handbook 3.5: That was some "stealth errata" there, and knowing if WotC included it would tell a lot about their attention to detail regarding the 3.5 edition of D&D.
    It's still there. Just looked at mine.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Non-book system? Are you referring to D&D computer games? Because they almost always bastardize the rules for the sake of balance or game mechanics or <insert excuse here>.
    Basically. Pathfinder does the same as well.

That said, it's a strange coincidence that PA is always limited to a +5 bonus to damage (+10 with 2-handed weapons) instead of how the system works. It leads me to think that the intention of the developers was to limit PA to +5, just like with Combat Expertise (which reminds me: what would have happened if Combat Expertise was similar to PA, with the same bonus if fighting with a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other?). I mean, even Pathfinder went with the idea, and that's a successor system.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Basically. Pathfinder does the same as well.

That said, it's a strange coincidence that PA is always limited to a +5 bonus to damage (+10 with 2-handed weapons) instead of how the system works. It leads me to think that the intention of the developers was to limit PA to +5, just like with Combat Expertise (which reminds me: what would have happened if Combat Expertise was similar to PA, with the same bonus if fighting with a weapon in one hand and nothing in the other?). I mean, even Pathfinder went with the idea, and that's a successor system.
    Limiting a number to 5 or 10 is no coincidence at all. There are a number of plausible explanation for doing this.

1. They may have been copying one another. Power Attack is a pretty classic feat and possibly the most common feat ever taken. The idea that one group of people making a D&D video game would copy another group of people making a video game isn't surprising at all.
    2. Also, there are effectively 20 levels in D&D and splitting that number up into half (10) or one fourth (5) gets you those same numbers.
    3. Giving a person a penalty of -5 to attack isn't a huge surprise and won't be too painful. A first level melee character like a Fighter or Barbarian is likely to have around 18 strength and +1 BAB. That's +5 to attack, which is also the same number as the common video game Power Attack penalty.
    4. The penalty to attack from Combat Expertise is -5. This is a feat that deserves the limitation since a character with high enough AC can get to the point where they're only hit 1/20 times. A party with a character of AC 40 and three of AC 20 creates an odd and difficult combination. This will be even more problematic if you're designing a computer game that isn't going to be modifying itself to artificially increase or decrease attack rolls based on the PC's AC.
    5. Last and likely most relevant is the fact that we have 5 fingers and 2 hands. This may sound like a stupid reason to you, but its the real reason why we have a Base 10 math system. If everyone had 3 hands and 6 fingers on each, we would likely have a Base 18 math system and Power Attack would give a -6 penalty to attack. It's also the reason why our calendar was based on 10 months (before Caesar and Augustus changed it) and the reason for all sorts of other things in our lives.

Five is a very common number and it should be of no surprise to anyone that it would get picked out for use in almost anything.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marthinwurer View Post
    It's still there. Just looked at mine.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're confirming. Is the original Spring Attack text "still there", or the Special Edition Spring Attack text "still there"? The latter has never gotten into errata files or the SRD.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure exactly what you're confirming. Is the original Spring Attack text "still there", or the Special Edition Spring Attack text "still there"? The latter has never gotten into errata files or the SRD.
    For Reference: (the original text)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Spring Attack [General]
    Prerequisites

Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, base attack bonus +4.
    Benefit

When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. You can’t use this feat if you are wearing heavy armor.

You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.
    Special

A fighter may select Spring Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    What are the implications of this rule change ?
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

It's the "Split your move action" version.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    For Reference: (the original text)

What are the implications of this rule change ?
    It removes ambiguity about the actions used. A rule which says "you can move both before and after the attack", without specifying what action (if any) is used, can be read as granting that movement for free, greatly increasing the power of the feat. In particular, the "attack action" in between the movement could be a full attack action. If you need to use a (split) move action for a Spring Attack you probably won't also be able to execute a full attack.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

OK,
    I hadn't come across that particular reading.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Premium 2nd AD&D PHB, DMG, MMM. Also, Premium 1st Unearthed Arcana.

The 2nd AD&D books are scheduled for release in May of next year. Interesting marketing strategy by Wizards to re-release all the old editions of their game.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Apparently Amazon likes to do the reveals for WotC now.

Interesting.

If it weren't because of my lack of funds, I'd look for the Premium 1st Edition of Unearthed Arcana, because of the loads of options. Though it might have to come with the Premium 1st Edition PHB.

It's a surprise to see the 2nd Edition Corebooks re-released, as well. Might have to go pay a look at Amazon.com every now and then, to see if the MIC will be re-released in a Premium version (even if I already have it). Something says anyone who buys the Core books of D&D Next will need ALL of the other PHBs...
    On Lawful Good: