New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Bows Akimbo build?

Just wanted to ask what are the, if there are any, competently viable (i.e. ~T3) builds that utilize dual-wielding ranged weapons (not thrown). Bonus points for being able to be used on bows instead of just crossbows.

As for restrictions:
    1. It would be great if the character only has two hands mechanically and aesthetically.
    2. Should be online asap, level 12 at latest.
    3. Stat priorities can be anything except that it doesn't need STR.

Anybody can help me guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Bows Akimbo build?

In a game that uses both 3.5 and pathfinder material both the Alchemist class and the Summoner (synthesist variant) can both get the multiple arms needed to Duel Wield bows fairly easily. Alchemist gets better self buffs, can get sneak attack like a Rogue and is easier to keep healed, but Synthesist Summoner can get more than 4 arms, Innate flight and much better Base physical stats.

Elf Vivisectionist Alchemist can gain the Vestigal Arm Discoveries at lvs 2 and 4 Taking point blank shot at lv 1 and two weapon fighting at lv 3 giving you 2 bow attacks that will become 3 if you take rapid shot at lv 5-6 and leaving the rest of the build open to whatever ranged build of your choice. Just make sure your after equipment INT is 14+ so you can take advantage of your Alchemist class features.

Elf Synthesist Summoner With a Bipedal Edilion can Grab the Extra Arms and Improved Natural Armour Evolutions giving him the ability to wield multiple bows from LV 1, however since the Edilon's Physical stats override the wielders an archer build would be better served by Using the Serpentine form for higher DEX and putting off getting your second pair of arms untill LV 3. A Synthesist Summoner Archer is probably better off staying in his base class to become a massive multiarmed monstrosity rather than branching off into traditional archer classes.
    Last edited by Malroth; 2012-10-02 at 02:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Be an outsider, cast polymorph.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Thri-Kreen? Polymorph into an Arrow Demon?

That's about all I got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

First: Take 12 levels of Artificer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now you have the capacity to play an Archerficer by firing fully upgraded arrows (splitting, flaming, shocking, etc) out of a fully upgraded (whatever else in the same vein) bow, which you then cast Greater Magic Weapon on to get it fully upgraded on to hit. Make two large bows.

Then you make a Wand of Polymorph, and become an Arrow Demon from the Monster Manual III. This gets you the ability to use bows 1 size larger than it (so if you go for Giant's Size you can get colossal+ arrows), you aren't threatened by melee opponents when shooting arrows, and the ability to shoot 8 arrows on a round of Manyshot (two arrows everytime you can fire one). This goes up to 16 arrows with splitting property, all of which have enough damaging properties to crush everything in your path.

Otherwise I assume none-psionic Thrikreen is your best shot, possibly also Artificer. Not quite as good, but less cheesy.

I got ninjaed so hard...
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2012-10-02 at 02:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dual wield footbows while lying prone?
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

It depend on how lenient your DM is, but Soulbow is worded such that it isn't directly against the rules to use the two weapon fighting tree as you need a free hand to create an arrow. you can find it in complete psionic.
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2012-10-02 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Forgot a point

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

In 3.5, there are plenty of feats to get dual-wielding crossbows to be effective.
    In Pathfinder, dual wielding guns is easy once you get weapon cords.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    On a carpet of flying...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I propose soulbow.

They fire arrows from their hands without need of a bow. TWF that, and tada, Arrow akimbo.

Not exactly bows.... but same effect.

edit: oops, didn' see alanek. +1 to him/her then
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2012-10-02 at 09:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

While flying. You can't fire bows while prone.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Soulbow will indeed do the trick. But I'll one-up the others by linking to it since it's online.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Would a prehensile tail be okay, or a bow held between your teeth?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

You could dual wield your dual wield bows!
    http://8bittheater.wikia.com/wiki/Ep...:_Exalted_Feat
    Warning: It can hurt your neck.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Girallon's blessing.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    First: Take 12 levels of Artificer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now you have the capacity to play an Archerficer by firing fully upgraded arrows (splitting, flaming, shocking, etc) out of a fully upgraded (whatever else in the same vein) bow, which you then cast Greater Magic Weapon on to get it fully upgraded on to hit. Make two large bows.

Then you make a Wand of Polymorph, and become an Arrow Demon from the Monster Manual III. This gets you the ability to use bows 1 size larger than it (so if you go for Giant's Size you can get colossal+ arrows), you aren't threatened by melee opponents when shooting arrows, and the ability to shoot 8 arrows on a round of Manyshot (two arrows everytime you can fire one). This goes up to 16 arrows with splitting property, all of which have enough damaging properties to crush everything in your path.
    I'm visualizing a steampunk-ish bowslinger doing just that! Unfortunately, the only Eberron I have is RoE. Very awesome theme to have, though.

The problem I have with Arrow Demon is that it's from MM3. Aside from not having the material, I heard that a lot of creatures are designed poorly in other MMs aside from the original, and I only ever see Arrow Demon in C.O. and T.O. discussions--Polymorphing into it reeks of cheese somehow.

But flavorwise? Of course I could roll with that, it looks pretty dang boss!

Quote Originally Posted by kitcik View Post
    On a carpet of flying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    Another cool suggestion. I was actually planning to make a flying/floating/levitating archer who rains hell on his enemies, so this could good. Although I suppose it would look better aesthetically on races who don't use footwear normally, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanek2002 View Post
    It depend on how lenient your DM is, but Soulbow is worded such that it isn't directly against the rules to use the two weapon fighting tree as you need a free hand to create an arrow. you can find it in complete psionic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    I propose soulbow.

They fire arrows from their hands without need of a bow. TWF that, and tada, Arrow akimbo.

Not exactly bows.... but same effect.

edit: oops, didn' see alanek. +1 to him/her then
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Soulbow will indeed do the trick. But I'll one-up the others by linking to it since it's online.
    Soulbows are probably the closest that would fit my request, since it doesn't require any other appendage aside from the two hands. Hmm... I suppose it's just needs a slight refluff that he's actually wielding ectoplasmis psionic guns and firing from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Would a prehensile tail be okay, or a bow held between your teeth?
    A tail for loading looks okay, but the character I'm building is a trash talker, so teeth are no-go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    You could dual wield your dual wield bows!
    http://8bittheater.wikia.com/wiki/Ep...:_Exalted_Feat
    Warning: It can hurt your neck.
    Trust me. If I could, I definitely would! Screw the neck!

@To all who contributed You guys are awesome! Thanks for the wealth of input! I'd definitely like to try all of those diverse themes. Now to the recruitment thread!
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    A tail for loading looks okay, but the character I'm building is a trash talker, so teeth are no-go.
    Draconic Tail feat (Races of the Dragon) grants a tail slap. Prehensile Tail feat (Savage Species) lets you use a tail slap as an extra hand.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Draconic Tail feat (Races of the Dragon) grants a tail slap. Prehensile Tail feat (Savage Species) lets you use a tail slap as an extra hand.
    Using a tail to shoot a bow...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-06 at 08:00 AM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/top...w#.UHArfVH5Oi1

Of course not.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Because as we all know, pictures change RAW.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    That looks like a crossbow, which would be RAW.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

All this talk of footbows and nobody's linked the Raptoran? For shame, Playground.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Another option would be to play a Persist Chameleon. Place it on a Thri-Kreen or get Girallon's Blessing and you can dual-wield bows while using persisted archery buffs.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    All this talk of footbows and nobody's linked the Raptoran? For shame, Playground.
    Probably because the only contribution they give is martial proficiency of footbow. Its flight only goes online at a level where flying becomes common anyway. Granted, it's the first image I thought of when they suggested using Footbow.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Another option would be to play a Persist Chameleon. Place it on a Thri-Kreen or get Girallon's Blessing and you can dual-wield bows while using persisted archery buffs.
    Is there a trick for getting Thri-Kreen into Chameleon?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    Is there a trick for getting Thri-Kreen into Chameleon?
    Not that I know, it is just that the Chameleon stops after 10 levels so as long as you get those ten it doesn't matter if you lose the last couple. Basically it inverts the "Don't lose CLs" because you already stall out on them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

well it is possible, and quite cool, the most effective Hand/Bow ratio is to have as many Heavy repeaters as you have main hands, and Hand crossbows as you have offhands, most of the rest has to be homebrewed to get a reasonable ratio.

Heavy Repeaters do not specify that they absolutely require two hands
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-10-07 at 12:52 AM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that I know, it is just that the Chameleon stops after 10 levels so as long as you get those ten it doesn't matter if you lose the last couple. Basically it inverts the "Don't lose CLs" because you already stall out on them.
    I mean getting Able Learner on a Thri-Kreen - is that an oversight, or is there a trick to meet the racial requirement?
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-07 at 01:02 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Another option would be to play a Persist Chameleon.
    That is just... beautiful.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-10-07 at 05:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Hell even just a non-psionic thrikreen hd2/soulknife2/ranger2/soulbowx/xxxy with the multiweapon fighting line and zen archery is nasty. Either suffer kensai 3 or get (modified) mindblade gauntlets with splitting on them. Hello atleast 12 attacks a round...which get doubled...so 24 attacks a round. Couple it with you mind arrow augment being lucky and the woodland archer feat. Now you re-roll every missed shot...and if you still miss, well your next shot gets IIRC +4 or +6 to hit.

Your only fear is DR.