New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B-Movie Thread!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default B-Movie Thread!

Do you like B-Movies? I love B-Movies, which you could probably tell due to the fact that I am partially responsible for (In that I requested it on a /d/ drawthread) the only Rule 34/Monstergirl Rule 63 of The Deadly Spawn in existence. So, I decided to make a thread about them. Anybody wanna join in?

I'll start off with asking if anybody's seen the cheap cash in on "The Swarm" known as "The Bees"? It's pretty obscure, and a pretty rote "attack of the killer bees" movie for most of its run, but the ending is amaaaaaazing, taking the "nature's revenge" trope to an insane but competely logical conclusion.

The ending, for those not in the know, involves

Spoiler
    Show
    A sentient swarm of bees delivering an ultimatum at the UN telling mankind to stop polluting or else. I just want to see the aftermath with the sentient bee-swarm being given a permanent seat on the UN and the bees stinging the crap out of Regan.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: B-Movie Thread!

Okay I need to see this film now. You just described something more deserving of Oscarbait than a thousand biopics about the mentally ill.

After much badgering from all my B-Movie buddies I finally got The Happening and it's not quite as good (bad?) as everyone makes it out to be. It's much much better! (worse?)

You don't write dialogue that funny without trying and the performances are as goofy and strange as Nic Cage in The Wicker Man but far less loud and obnoxious. I find myself quoting the dialogue in conversation and recommending it to everyone, regardless of their penchant for bad films. It's quite a little masterpiece.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Well, if we're talking B-Movies, we can't leave out Birdemic. Also, where the heck is the sequel? I want to see more crummy actors fighting horribly rendered CGI birds with coat hangers!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Well, if we're talking B-Movies, we can't leave out Birdemic. Also, where the heck is the sequel? I want to see more crummy actors fighting horribly rendered CGI birds with coat hangers!
    Next year according to the Facebook page. It seems like they've actually finished all the filming and stuff, and just need to add those great great bird effects. Also calling the original ones CGI is an insult to CGI, those where clipart at best.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Also, anybody seen Tokyo Gore Police? I really hope the danged thing gets a sequel, as there was a sequel hook near the end, and I consider it one of my favorite b-movies.

Also, as a bit of an aside, I had this concept for a "sexy" B-movie about two outcast high school students transforming into bizarre yet attractive monster forms (The girl's form being more demon-like and the guy's form being more arthropodlike) due to the influence of another dimension in sort of a weird yet sweet love story, as sort of a /d/-inspired anti-Twilight, and I was wondering if anybody would ever want to see that movie made? It'd be a better/less horrible way to combine sex and weird monsters than, say, sexual assault by a giant maggot* that's for sure.

And, to put us back on topic, anybody heard of Rocky Horror Shows His Heels? It was supposed to be the real sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show, but was cancelled due to several factors.

I mention this because all of its songs were cannibalized for the eventual pseudo-sequel/"Not a sequel but an equal"** film "Shock Treatment", so if one were a good enough playwright, one could use the plot summary and Shock Treatment songs to reconstruct Rocky Horror Shows His Heels for the Stage. I've planned to do this myself someday, the keyword being "someday.

*There actually is a B-movie where that happens, supposedly to add sex to the film at Roger Corman's insistence. Bonus points if you can name the film.
    **Which is a blatant lie by the way, but enough said
    Last edited by tbok1992; 2012-11-30 at 10:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    Also calling the original ones CGI is an insult to CGI, those where clipart at best.
    Just like all CGI!

Practical effects FTW!

Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2012-11-30 at 07:59 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Tokyo Gore Police is awesome.

I just watched The Stuff the other day, and I honestly don't know how I've lived this long without seeing ice cream eat people alive from the inside.

8. - Top - End - #8

Huge fan of Tokyo Gore Police. Loving this new wave of Japanese Gore films. TGP in particular touches on a lot of Japanese Cyberpunk (/bodyhorror...think Tetsuo). Wasn't expecting the plot to be as interesting as it was.

Another relatively recent favorite of mine was Hard Revenge, Milly. Starts as a standard action/revenge film, albeit a brutal and graphic one. But the last five minutes? BRILLIANT. Too bad the sequel wasn't nearly as good.

Also a fan of straight up, low budget bad films in general. I'd rather watch a bad horror movie than an average comedy...the horror film will likely hold more laughs. Particular nods to Sinbad of the Seven Seas (with Lou Ferrigno), Virtual Combat (or really ANYTHING with Don "the dragon" Wilson) and Troll 2, of course. Oh, and my favorite homage to the style, Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.

As an aside, anyone who has ever known people who take DDR too seriously needs to see The FP. Double points if you've seen lots of bad 80s gang/martial arts movies.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Is Bubba Ho-Tep a B movie? Cause if it is, everyone should see it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I think Bubba Ho-tep is deliberately a B movie. It's certainly not even close to "So Bad it's Good" though.

It's just straight up excellent.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I never really liked the idea of a 'deliberately' B-movie, though there is some good ones.

It's the difference between a child's scribble and a well-trained artist emulating a child's scribble. The latter has a certain nudge, nudge, wink, wink oh-look-what-we did-here, quality, while the former, however bad, has a certain earnest badness about it.

Plan 9 From Outer Space is a horrible, terrible film, in almost every way that can possibly described, and yet, and yet you can also tell it was the labour of love of a man with little talent, less budget, but all the gusto and drive of the greatest Hollywood directors of them all.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-12-01 at 05:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Are we talking about non-blockbuster movies or about actual trash that is more like fourth or fifth level than second?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    I never really liked the idea of a 'deliberately' B-movie, though there is some good ones.

It's the difference between a child's scribble and a well-trained artist emulating a child's scribble. The latter has a certain nudge, nudge, wink, wink oh-look-what-we did-here, quality, while the former, however bad, has a certain earnest badness about it.

Plan 9 From Outer Space is a horrible, terrible film, in almost every way that can possibly described, and yet, and yet you can also tell it was the labour of love of a man with little talent, less budget, but all the gusto and drive of the greatest Hollywood directors of them all.
    Deliberately B movie can be pretty terrible, but I'm not sure it's possible to describe Bubba Ho-Tep as anything other than an earnest labor of love. With the added benefit of being a genuinely hilarious, deeply touching film, despite having a low budget and a deliberately B movie style plot.

I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Personally, whilst I understand the concept of a film being so bad it's good, I can't say I can recall any I'd describe that way and most that I've seen that other people do, I'd just call bad.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, but I'm not sure if that one isn't actually a professional B-movie parody.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Personally, whilst I understand the concept of a film being so bad it's good, I can't say I can recall any I'd describe that way and most that I've seen that other people do, I'd just call bad.
    ROTOR comes pretty close for me, and I'd also say Birdemic (Which I actually saw well before it got uber-popular, and in fact I was the one who started its TVTropes page) fits the bill nicely.

Also, anybody seen Neon Maniacs? It was the most disappointing B-Movie I've ever seen, wasting its great premise (Basically 12 slashers in one movie) apparently due to production difficulties, and leaving things unexplained in the most dissatisfying way possible. I actually really want to see this film remade so that the premise can be done justice.

16. - Top - End - #16

Bubba Ho-Tep is indeed fantastic. Done by the creator of the Phantasm series, which has always been one of my favorites. It is indeed a good and earnest film, and Bruce Campbell always is entertaining.

As far as the whole "so bad it's good" thing, yeah, it's not everyone's tastes. Bad dialogue makes me laugh more than bad jokes, and over-the-top hammy acting I find entertaining. Cardboard spaceships, well, you work with what you have. But reusing the same footage seven times to fill space in the movie? Annoying by the third, but funny by the fifth.

As for deliberately bad, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it's the difference between understanding a cliche and using it for comedic effect and just using a cliche as the entirety of the joke. Like having a joke about airline food, versus a comedian saying "so, how about airline food? pretty bad, right?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I saw Teenagers from Outer Space some years ago. It was pretty great/awful. The big scary monster was, I kid you not,
    Spoiler
    Show
    a lobster
    and all the dead bodies were clearly a plastic skeleton - you could even see the lines of joints on it.

Where does Piranha 3D fit in? I think it's pretty clearly aiming for B-movie status, but it also has a reasonable budget, decent special effects, and a deliberately funny (if often very gross - disembodied penis ftw!) script. An A-movie homage to B-movies? A deliberate B-movie?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Where does Piranha 3D fit in? I think it's pretty clearly aiming for B-movie status, but it also has a reasonable budget, decent special effects, and a deliberately funny (if often very gross - disembodied penis ftw!) script. An A-movie homage to B-movies? A deliberate B-movie?
    I've only seen the trailer, but my instinct pegged it at somewhere between "So Bad it's Horrible" and "Your Movie is Bad and you should feel Bad."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

King Solomon’s Mines is one of my favorite B movies.
    Seriously, if you haven’t watched this movie, WATCH IT NOW!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I've only seen the trailer, but my instinct pegged it at somewhere between "So Bad it's Horrible" and "Your Movie is Bad and you should feel Bad."
    Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I really enjoyed it Genuine enjoyment, what's more, not just "so bad it's good". It's extremely self-aware. Has the guy from Jaws in it, even...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

What Serpentine said. Though the gore effects are surprisingly realistic and gruesome rather than goofy and over-the-top like Evil Dead 2, which is very jarring given the film's tone.

And for a great B-Movie that never was (Thanks to its production company being a fly-by-night operation), here's Crackodile! I found out about it via this website and the plot summary is glorious:

"A drug induced nightmare about the effects of a new designer drug on an average American Alligator. When a tanker carrying a new designer drug crashes into the swamp during a drug chase, a gator is transformed into the junkie animal known as the Crackodile. The creature leaves a trail of death and destruction in it's wake as it tries to quench it's insatiable hunger for any type of drug. It's up to a small town sheriff and his deputy to capture the beast and end it's murderous spree.
    There's even some art for the film:

I don't know who owns the rights to this concept, but by god SyFy needs to buy them and make this!

Also, speaking of movies I want to see, what did any of you think of that "Sexy b-movie" idea I posted in my second post?

22. - Top - End - #22

Yeah, it's as gory as it is silly, and it pulls no punches with either.

And that sounds spectacular

23. - Top - End - #23

I would totally watch Crackodile. I would also watch your monster love story...have you ever read Charles Burns' "Black Hole" graphic novel? Not as weird as it gets a reputation for, but a good coming-of-age story. With mutants.

I went on a big killer scarecrow kick a few years back. I love that a niche that specialized is still big enough for quite a few movies. Also, the killer snowman movie (Jack Frost) is fantastically bad. B-movies are the best when the concepts are so outlandish (Troll 2: goblins want to eat people. But they're vegetarian. So, naturally, people must be turned into plants. Naturally.)

Weird one I did music for: Fetish Dolls Die Laughing (direct to dvd, naturally). Not a recommendation, mind you, the film is terrible. But it's conceptually pretty weird. People are possessed by the spirit of the Tickle Monster (no, really). They then tickle people to death (no, really). The problem (or one of them) is it wasn't sure what sort of movie it wants to be. Horror (there a couple almost creepy moments)? Comedy (there are many lines that you can tell are supposed to be jokes and, well, the concept)? A tickle fetish film (the murders drag on and on and ON, and, well, the concept)? Poorly written, poorly acted, but very weird, which is why I took the job. Again, not a recommendation, but I'm proud of my work on it (it was my first feature-length film)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    I just watched The Stuff the other day, and I honestly don't know how I've lived this long without seeing ice cream eat people alive from the inside.
    Well, clearly you missed the important message there. It isn't ice cream...it is yogurt. Part of the health-craze from the early 80s, before TCBY and self-serve "Frogurt" shops insinuated themselves into our daily lives. The Stuff was meant as a warning...a cautionary tale...and we failed to heed the warning. Now we have accepted this active culture into our daily lives, and view it as normal. One day we will pay the price...mark my words!

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, but I'm not sure if that one isn't actually a professional B-movie parody.
    There's also the Toxic Avenger, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and a host of direct-to-VHS movies that formed the second B-movie boom!

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

I shall chime in here with one of my favorite Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter the description when I first saw this movie in the wee hours on satelite were "Jesus uses his kung fu to defeat blood sucking fiends' mix in a Mucho Libre wrestler partner and you've got a bonified winner! Not to mention it's Canadian eh
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I highly reccomend: Trail of the Screaming Forehead as a B movie worth watching.

There's also Teeth but it was squicktastic enough that I couldn't finish it.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-12-06 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just watched Teeth.

I wish I hadn't.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Also, has anybody here seen Mutant Hunt or Robot Holocaust? Their production values are low as all hell and they are amazingly stupid, but they're kind of a guilty pleasure because I actually find 'em kinda fun. Plus, It's hard not to appreciate a movie (Mutant Hunt) that makes the horrifically mutilated cyborg on what is essentially moon crack* not only a major character, but a sympathetic one as well.

*The film actually doesn't feature any mutants, but instead cyborgs driven crazy by drugs, which are produced on the moon and the main villain is involved in smuggling. Do you now see why I love this movie?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

All the Godzilla movies

The must, Godzilla vs King Kong
    ;)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

They need to remake Godzilla Vs. King Kong, but without sizing up Kong. I mean think about it, King Kong with electricity powers fighting Godzilla Shadow of the Colossus style. Wouldn't that be badass?