New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Manga Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Now that I know it's over, I think I'll give it another shot. But those 70 first chapters sound so boooooooring.
    yes they are, but luckily the other 340 are better...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    so, that was katekyo hitman reborn. It was funny... mildly entertaining, but after the first 70 chapters or so the story really pickp up pace and stays interesting... the first 70 are neccessary to understand what the powers are in this universe...
    Ya, though I really think they rushed the end. The Rainbow Representative Battle Arc should have really been split into two. One for the actual battle and one whole arc devoted to the last bit they pull. Fighting Checkerface really deserved it's own arc and the "Well, we're magic" ending was kind of...to simple for an otherwise well written manga.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

to be honest, it was time. The circle of powers had gone round once (from undying will, to the various stages of gear to losing the gear and going undying will again)

Would have loved a chapter in which they all come back as adults (reborn too) where we see Tsuna as the boss and the guardians in a meetingroom in Italy. But I guess you can't have them all. (I also wonder who is going to end up as wife to tsuna)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

So, I'm torn between which manga I should read next.
    I'm between Steel Ball Run, 3x3 Eyes and giving Reborn another chance.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

30 Top Selling Manga in November.
    Weird stuff:
    Bakuman in the top 10, in the same year it was cancelled.
    Toriko not in the top 10, while Jump seems to consider it it's next flagship series.
    I've been wanting to check Kuroko, maybe I will.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

What, it's the sales and not the past month+ of terrorist threats that gets a person interested in Kuroko? :P
    (not that I read Kuroko myself, but the string of Kuroko-related event cancellation news is attention grabbing...)

Bakuman had like 5 or 6 volumes released in that one year period, and it's a usually a 500k+ per volume seller. And it actually wasn't canceled; it finished on its own terms. It had a very good ending from what I can tell; it accomplished exactly what it set out to do in the beginning. (...and I have no idea what went on in the middle, as Shounen Jump only ran the beginning and end )

Yea, Toriko doesn't seem to be doing as hot as Shueisha wants. Not that it's stopping them from pushing it.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

If anyones looking for a sports/comedy manga try eyeshield 21.

and yes bakuman did end on it's own and was a very good story, the author apparently doesn't believe in writing a story over 200 chapters, from what I understand.

also for other suggestions:
    Beelzebub (fighting)
    History's strongest disciple kenichi (Fighting)
    cage of eden (Survival/mystery)
    the world only god knows (romance)
    Sankarea (Weird)
    Ratman (Superheroie)
    and Silver Spoon, Weird too, in entirely different ways then Sankarea though.
    Call me Crazy

8. - Top - End - #68

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...p-manga-series

That lists the top 5 male-oriented and female-oriented manga series of 2012, as voted by book critics, bookstore employees, and Da Vinci magazine's readers.

http://ddnavi.com/news/106538/
    This lists the top 5 male and female mangaka of the year.

The men:
    1. Oda Eiichiro
    2. Inoue Takehiko
    3. Togashi Yoshihiro
    4. Araki Hirohiko
    5. Sorachi Hideaki

The women:
    1. Arakawa Hiromu
    2. Umino Chika
    3. Yoshinaga Fumi
    4. Takahashi Rumiko
    5. Higashimura Akiko

---

Edit: I am now a believer in One Punch-Man.
    Last edited by Somewhere; 2012-12-21 at 11:21 AM.
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

So, today while browsing tvtropes I discovered a fun little manga called Those Who Hunt Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by tvtropes
    Junpei (a thick-headed martial artist), Ritsuko (a tomboy and gun Otaku) and Airi (an award winning actress) are transported from their homes in Japan to a High Fantasy parallel world. Enlisting the aid of Celcia, the most powerful elven sorceress in the land, they try— and fail —to cast a spell that will return them home. The result? The spell is made manifest as fragments on the bodies of five elven women throughout the land and Celcia gets turned to a dog-like creature. To return home and return Celcia to her old-self, the four have to collect the fragments of the spell and join them into a working spell.

The catch? They don't know precisely which female elves have fragments of the spell on them. The solution?

Find every elf woman in the land and rip-off their clothes.
    It's absolutely hilarious. Sadly a bit short (only 30 or so chapters I could find).

Also, they have a pet tank. It's possessed by a cat's spirit

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Those Who Hunt Elves is a pretty old classic. It has 21 volumes iirc, and has an anime adaptation that was out in 1996 (I used to own the VHS versions of it). I would highly recommend checking out the anime if you liked the manga series.

For some reason, I've been really addicted to the Saki manga (and the Achiga spinoff) nowadays. I started by watching the anime without knowing anything about Japanese mahjong, although the manga seems to take on entirely new dimensions after I started to learn about the rules.

I'm actually quite surprised at how much care that Ritz places in the game. Unlike Hikaru no Go and its ilk, which isn't about Go as much as it is about character development and telling a slice of life story, Saki is almost irrevocably married to mahjong to the point that the story is impossible if you replaced mahjong with a different game. There are a ton of development and characterization in the Saki manga that isn't explicitly stated, but is pretty visibly apparent once one starts to learn about the rules of the game.

I've never really seen any other sports or board game anime/manga that focuses so much on the game rather than just on the people that play the game. Even for something like Hikaru no Go, you can replace Go with Shogi and the entire show would not change.

It's really making me respect Saki so much more as a show than I did before.

11. - Top - End - #71

http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/

An archive of Weekly Shounen Jump's Table of Contents rankings from the second half of 1999 till beginning of 2012.

---

Also, jeez, look at the chunk of Comiket that had to be cleared due to the Kuroko no Basuke doujinshi ban:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...comiket-vacant
    Last edited by Somewhere; 2012-12-31 at 09:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    Those Who Hunt Elves is a pretty old classic. It has 21 volumes iirc, and has an anime adaptation that was out in 1996 (I used to own the VHS versions of it). I would highly recommend checking out the anime if you liked the manga series.
    Seeing as the eighth volume on doesn't seem to exist in English, I will definitely have to check the anime out.

I also recently found one called "Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo Kotowaru!" (boy, that's a mouthful), which is an extremely well-made manga based on a series of light novels.

Quote Originally Posted by synopsis
    After a long and treacherous journey, our Hero finally arrives at the Dark Lady’s castle only to find himself being asked for help. The Hero explains how the war that the demons have brought upon the humans have killed thousands and put more in misery. The queen of demons however argues that this war has made the human society band together as one and showed empirical evidence how it has increased population, increased production, boosted economy and improved society overall. Furthermore, she explains to the Hero that ending this war will result in a civil war that will produce more bloodshed than there ever was. The Hero, convinced that the only way to bring peace, relatively speaking, is to join forces with the Dark Lady, agrees to help with her plans!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

so... anyone else reading the Shaman King Flowers manga? latest chapter is quite foreboding and reeks of dark mysteriousness and a hint of awesome yet to happen.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I also recently found one called "Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo Kotowaru!" (boy, that's a mouthful), which is an extremely well-made manga based on a series of light novels.
    I remember hearing about this one, but the premise stroke me as complete bullcrap, as usual in the case of manga/anime that are about doing evil for the sake of good. War doesn't work that way!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I remember hearing about this one, but the premise stroke me as complete bullcrap, as usual in the case of manga/anime that are about doing evil for the sake of good. War doesn't work that way!
    I'm a bit confused about what you mean by that. The premise is that if the war ends and the humans win, the various nations of the winning side's alliance would end up fighting amongst themselves because the countries acting as a buffer zone for the war have become dependent on the money from the other ones in order to fuel their economy because all of their resources went to to war, and if the demons win, they go back to being infighting tribes.

I don't see where you're getting "doing evil for the sake of good."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

so... anyone else reading the Shaman King Flowers manga? latest chapter is quite foreboding and reeks of dark mysteriousness and a hint of awesome yet to happen.
    Wasn't that a one shot? I'm still eagerly awaiting somewhere to update Jumbor, it's still running in Japan and I can only find up to chapter 10. God I love Hiroyuki Takei.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I'm a bit confused about what you mean by that. The premise is that if the war ends, the various nations of the winning side's alliance would end up fighting amongst themselves because the countries acting as a buffer zone for the war have become dependent on the money from the other ones in order to fuel their economy because all of their resources went to to war. I don't see where you're getting "doing evil for the sake of good."
    War is evil. Keeping it running because the involved nations prosper more when they're at war than during peace times is doing evil for the sake of good.

Except it's bull. It doesn't work. The possible benefits from war include a possible short-term boost to a country's economy, and spoils of war in the form of conquered territories. That's it. In the long term, war is always a disaster to a country's economy and society. The premise that it would be positive is simply untrue, and smells of a failed attempt at creating a morally grey setting.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions based only on what little I know about that manga. But I'd like to be proven wrong then. I know of some other manga/anime that tried to create a premise of doing evil for the sake of good, and I don't remember a single one where it was credible.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2013-01-02 at 06:51 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    War is evil. Keeping it running because the involved nations prosper more when they're at war than during peace times is doing evil for the sake of good.

Except it's bull. It doesn't work. The possible benefits from war include a possible short-term boost to a country's economy, and spoils of war in the form of conquered territories. That's it. In the long term, war is always a disaster to a country's economy and society. The premise that it would be positive is simply untrue, and smells of a failed attempt at creating a morally grey setting.
    Except that in a religious war against literal demons on one side, and a defense by a warlike culture on the other side, the sort of end that normal wars get where the populace eventually tires of it won't happen. Either side will continue until the other side is utterly annihilated, in which case the fact that it screwed up the economy would cause the winning side to collapse on itself. I think.

Whether or not the premise is sound, it's still a pretty good manga in my opinion.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Then keeping the war going will only postpone the inevitable. Sooner or later a collapse will happen regardless, because the negative effects a war has on a country's economy don't appear only when the war is over, but immediately - they are often the main reason a war is lost, in fact. The proper solution is not to keep the war going, but to try to find another way.

Maybe it's a good manga. But one of my many pet peeves is when the protagonists do something evil in order to fulfill a good goal. When that happens, it has to be done with credibility, or else it feels like they're stupid and/or not as good as they think, and often the universe bends itself backwards to make the choices they make the morally correct ones. I've seen this done poorly too many times.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Rereading the synopsis I copy/pasted into my earlier post, I realize that the way it words it is pretty bad. The idea the was posited by the Demon Queen in the first chapter basically boiled down to "Killing me won't end the war because I'm mostly a figurehead, the wartime economy is postponing the collapse of the human world, we can figure something out to get a different end to the war that total annihilation."

Their main activity has been to spread improved agricultural techniques and nudge the economy of the country at the frontline of the war to become less dependent on the central nations that actually fund their current economy.

21. - Top - End - #81

My all time favorites are Hirohiko Araki's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Kentaro Miura's Berserk.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

As I understand it, they do want to end the war, it's just that if it ended the way most people wanted then...
    1. The victors would commit genocide against the losers.
    2. Economies that had become dependent on the war would collapse, leading to massive numbers of people dying of starvation.
    3. The resources of the losing side would be grabbed by the most greedy, giving them huge political influence.
    4. With everything going to hell, a civil war would start up.

So they want to stabilise both nations, then have then declare peace once it's safe to do so.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2013-01-02 at 08:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, you explained that much better than I did

24. - Top - End - #84

Kongoh Bancho has recently been finished scanlating, and I just finished marathonning it.
    It is so over the top and manly; it's a hell of a fun ride (114 chapters).

Warning: 1200x862 pixel image
    Spoiler
    Show

And it only escalates from there...
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    Kongoh Bancho has recently been finished scanlating, and I just finished marathonning it.
    It is so over the top and manly; it's a hell of a fun ride (114 chapters).

Warning: 1200x862 pixel image
    Spoiler
    Show

And it only escalates from there...
    *sees image*

*goes and reads*

Also, Skip Beat is a pretty awesome (if girly, for people who care about that stuff) manga.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Wasn't that a one shot? I'm still eagerly awaiting somewhere to update Jumbor, it's still running in Japan and I can only find up to chapter 10. God I love Hiroyuki Takei.
    no, it updates about once or twice a year or something? anyway, chapter 6 is out now so read away

it's also quite well written and the artist seems to be able to take his time and thus not screw up...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

I read Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (well, one of the several versions). Not bad, but it's written in a slightly naive way. Everything seems to either go perfectly or go horribly wrong.

Also, I though it was hilarious that Tengu_Temp, while arguing against the series, acted pretty much like the hero does in the first chapter. That's the whole premise - the situation is so complex that killing a figurehead won't stop the war, and even if it did, winning the war will result in a time of turmoil. Since they can't end the war the heroic way, they're trying to create a third possibility.

As far as economic stories with supernatural characters go, I preferred Spice and Wolf's character dynamic.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

no, it updates about once or twice a year or something? anyway, chapter 6 is out now so read away

it's also quite well written and the artist seems to be able to take his time and thus not screw up...
    Takei's one fault is his lack of updating on a regular basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Also, I though it was hilarious that Tengu_Temp, while arguing against the series, acted pretty much like the hero does in the first chapter. That's the whole premise - the situation is so complex that killing a figurehead won't stop the war, and even if it did, winning the war will result in a time of turmoil. Since they can't end the war the heroic way, they're trying to create a third possibility.
    Apparently, Demon Queen is a serious believer in Utilitarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    As far as economic stories with supernatural characters go, I preferred Spice and Wolf's character dynamic.
    Fun fact: They got Holo and Lawrence's VAs from the anime to voice Demon Queen and Hero in the Maoyuu anime. To quote one guy on RPGnet:

"They had me at "Jun Fukuyama & Ami Koshimizu flirting while talking about economics", a formula with some pedigree indeed."

"I had no clue you could display any charisma while spending the whole episode entirely baffled. Jun Fukuyuma somehow pulls it off."
    Last edited by Arbane; 2013-01-11 at 03:34 AM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Fun fact: They got Holo and Lawrence's VAs from the anime to voice Demon Queen and Hero in the Maoyuu anime. To quote one guy on RPGnet:

"They had me at "Jun Fukuyama & Ami Koshimizu flirting while talking about economics", a formula with some pedigree indeed."

"I had no clue you could display any charisma while spending the whole episode entirely baffled. Jun Fukuyuma somehow pulls it off."
    Wow, I had no idea. Quite the role reversal. The naive, friendly-looking guy who is actually in control of immense physical and magical power... oh man, the more I keep thinking, the more the series seems to share with S&W.