New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Manga Thread

I don't really read manga very often. This past summer I picked two that were just plain odd enough to justify having to read all of them.

The Legend of Koizumi - International relations via Mahjong and Super-Aryan Hitler invading from the moon.

Franken Fran - I need to invoke TvTropes to properly describe this.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Manga Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/SASAKI_Hi...2063425536?p=v

One Punch-Man will be added to Shounen Jump Alpha starting next week. I'm freaking ecstatic. Particularly since I wasn't expecting it at all, since OPM is serialized on the web counterpart of Young Jump, which targets seinen instead of shounen.
    There are scanlations available for up to.... ch 17 or 18 out of ~20 for anybody who wants to check it out.
    Last edited by Somewhere; 2013-01-14 at 12:43 PM.
    Thanks to Meirnon for the avatar
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Gag manga story by One, artwork by Murata Yusuke of Eyeshield 21 fame
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Tower of God count as a manga for the purposes of this thread? Because I archive binged it last night and it was awesome.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure whether or not it counts since it's made in Korea, but people should read it either way since it's amazing and pretty much my favorite manga/manhwa/whatever we're lumping it with.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

I have almost no qualms at all with it, which is rare for me, but one thing that really bothers me is that

Spoiler
    Show

We don't what happened to Rak! Where's the awesome gator?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Can you give me a short review/summary about tower of god? I remember taking a short look about it once but never gather enough interest to continue reading.

Anyone read Until Death Do Us Part? One of the most badass manga I recently read.
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2013-01-15 at 07:45 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Tower of God is a manhwa detailing the story of Twenty-Fifth Night Baam, a boy who enters the Tower in search of his only friend. Each floor of the tower has a test, and passing the test allows you to ascend to the next floor.

Baam is thrust into a world of tricky tests and fearsome fights, and makes more friends along the way.

And I'd feel really bad if I said any more, because the story is so freaking spoileriffic...

In any case, Tower of God has fairly deep, varied characters, great fight scenes, an amazing setting, an awesome story, lots of humor, cool weapons, great fight scenes, a trollish creator, and lots of extra stuff (like in-universe "rumors" that the author posts on his blog, and world information after many chapters). Overall an amazing manhwa.

Also, for people who have read it, I saw this on the Batato forum, and I literally laughed out loud: (seriously though, spoilers)

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

http://shonenjump.viz.com/node/1417

Hopefully a way to open an opportunity for those interested in Weekly Shounen Jump, but are not in the US or Canada.

And heck, for those of us readers in US/Canada, it's still a survey to send in our picks for what we want to see.
    One Punch-Man: I became the hero I had always dreamed of being. But how can it be that, even though I should be satisfied, I feel so empty?...
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

New manga I picked up lately:

Centaur no Nayami - it serves the same purpose as Yotsuba to me, in that it's a cute, funny slice of life that makes you feel good afterwards. But in addition to that, it also has some really interesting world building, and you can tell a lot of thought has been put into this.

WataMote - not putting in the full title because it's way too long. This, I read for the uncomfortable humour, and when I want to feel slightly depressed. I've never been in Tomoko's situation because I'm a loner by choice rather than being forced into the role, but I know someone who's just like that so I can emphasize with her anyway.

Dainana Joshikai Houkou - it's one of my favorite genres of Russian science fiction, slice of life in a mostly ordinary world where weird science fiction stuff keeps happening, but in a manga form! Pity there hasn't been a new chapter in a while, I'd really love to see more of this.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - the manga has a much longer name for some reason. I decided to give this a try after hearing it's less Code Geass and more Spice and Wolf (and after my friends kept linking amusing pages from it), and it's been pretty good so far. The economics is solid, though not as deep as SnW, I like the characters, the setup reminds me of a nation-building game of Exalted and the artstyle reminds me of Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. And that's always a good thing, because L&BH is awesome. Gonna keep reading more, might check the anime later.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2013-01-29 at 02:28 AM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

Maoyuu pretty much just gets more awesome with each new chapter released, so if you haven't caught up yet, you'll be in for some really great stuff.

Also, I rather like that while anachronisms are used, they're mostly kept to ones that could be feasibly implemented and of use in a medieval setting and are still shown as needing time to be of any use. No sudden machine guns, electronics or complex trading in derivates here. The understanding of history also seems quite good, especially passing the big test of being able to change things without them sticking out and looking weird.

Another neat thing is that pretty much everyone except for minor villains are cool and awesome at what they're doing and are often given some more breadth in terms of what that is. This is especially pronounced with Female Knight who is all kinds of awesome, but it's by no means limited to her.

So overall I quite like it.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - the manga has a much longer name for some reason.
    You mean the one with the subtitle "Hero, become mine!" "I refuse!"? There's about seven of them, but that's the official one.

I enjoyed it more than the anime - the manga's character designs and characterisation drift a bit from the original LN, but I think they're generally improvements (e.g. Maou feels less like a part-time moeblob and more like someone who isn't good at expressing her feelings). The manga also gets to go into more detail than the anime (how could you reduce the Dark Knight arc to an off-hand reference? ).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2013-01-29 at 06:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

The main reason I consider watching the anime is the voice actor extravaganza. I mean, they got Jun Fukuyama and Ami Koshimizu as the leads, for crap's sake. It's like they knew Spice and Wolf fans are gonna watch this. And they're not the only example, we get lots of other seiyuu I recognize and like as well.

Still, sticking to the manga for now. No time or energy to watch anime lately.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere View Post
    One Punch-Man will be added to Shounen Jump Alpha starting next week. I'm freaking ecstatic. Particularly since I wasn't expecting it at all, since OPM is serialized on the web counterpart of Young Jump, which targets seinen instead of shounen.
    Hell to the yes.

I feel that since Alpha is finally running at Weekly's pace, I should probably renew my subscription ... I haven't even read any manga all year.

IRN: How I wish physically copies of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer were available in English.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2013-01-30 at 12:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

14. - Top - End - #104

Well, I have to thank everyone for the suggestion of Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer as I'm only two chapters into it and enjoying it immensely.
    Thank you to starwoof for the awesome Astrid avatar.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

On a different note, does anyone know of any good Shoujo manga out there? They're a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine...

I just finished getting up to date with Kamisama Hajimema****a, which is fairly good if you are into romance stories.

EDIT: Kamisama Hajimemash-ita. The forum censors the name, wow XD

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Akuma Love Song, Kurgehime, Kimi Ni Todoke, and ****surauken are all pretty good.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

So I looked up and read One Punch Man.

That... that was awesome

My one complaint about the manga is the author's tendency to waste 8-10 pages on scenes showing a zoom-in/out or movement.

18. - Top - End - #108

Waste?

1. Because it's published online (on the Tonari no Young Jump website), Murata's not bound by any page limit, so the only resource he's consuming is his own time. Of course, the original is published biweekly, so sometimes him pumping out chapters at a higher rate would be nice...

2. You haven't seen the animated gifs people have made of those scenes yet? I still refer to them as 'glorious flipbook action'.
    http://forums.arlongpark.net/showthr...=1#post2807866

Sadly, the tankobun release reduced said glorious flipbook action to... unglorious single panel action. At least, that's the case for the first fight with Sonic. Future tankobun releases will probably continue with that route.
    Last edited by Somewhere; 2013-02-11 at 12:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

*sees animated gifs*

No longer a waste O.O

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

3rei.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2013-02-13 at 04:17 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

So, anyone read The World God Only Knows? I found it two days ago and I really enjoyed it.

22. - Top - End - #112

PaladinGuy

I've been an avid manga reader for a few years, but I had trouble to find new series to catch my interest (Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note have ended a long time ago, same thing with Evangelion, excluding the occasional reboot / AU , and Bleach has become... a frustrating reading, for quite a while). I think I'll try some of the titles given here, see if I manage to find something.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

frown Re: The Manga Thread

Sad news. One of the pioneers in translating and bringing Manga to the English-speaking world has passed away at only 52. Here's a small piece on Toren Smith and what he accomplished.

His translation and production work included Appleseed, Akira, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Lone Wolf And Cub, What’s Michael, Ghost In The Shell, Domu, Blade Of The Immortal, 3×3 Eyes, Oh! My Goddess
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

24. - Top - End - #114

Read my signature.
    At least it's better than the anime. Just don't expect coloured versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    So, anyone read The World God Only Knows? I found it two days ago and I really enjoyed it.
    I'm not reading the manga... but if they don't continue the anime soon I might as well pick it up... Can only go so long without the God of Conquest.

So... anyone following Medaka Box and willing to share my dislike for yet another
    Spoiler
    Show

waste of a chance to end the story at a decent point?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #116

Thanks..................

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

So...I preordered Vinland Saga off of Amazon...this should be good.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by simonsmi View Post
    Thanks..................
    Whatever for?

29. - Top - End - #119

Daemon

Are there any Fans of The Breaker here? I thought about mayb creating thread for discussing it as it is more and more popular with each day (and yeah, it's awesome) but wanted to check if anyone else would like it before. So anyone?
    For those who don't know it - it's pretty fresh shonen manga (or manhwa, since it's Korean) that starts typical, and I thought at first that it's GTO ripoff, but after 2-3 chapters it goes into entirely different direction. Yi-shioon - young boy bullied by classemates wants to start learning fighting from new teacher, who is rumored to be skilled martial artist. Soon it turns out that said teacher is 'Nine-arts-dragon' best and graetest fighter of all, who mastered every martial art, currently hiding from assasins. And then shenanigans happen. It's something between GTO and HSD Kenichi but with many fresh ideas, definitely worth reading.