New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default [PF] sandbox setting

I posted this in another thread, but I might as well post it here again and expand on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    From my sandbox campaign that still has to find players.
    The two-headed dragon Malachite is expanding his territory. A large group of bandits are collecting taxes in his name. Malachite is intending to attract a mate with his share of the loot.
    As the players can't pay their taxes, they have to find a way to get enough to pay off their debts to the bandits, or find a way to get rid of the bandits. Some possibilities include:
    - Investigate the crash site of a recent fallen star, hoping to find precious skymetal. (The falling star was part of a comet that was used to imprison Pyrax, the elemental god of fire. The heroes will find a fire elemental who will try to reach a forgotten temple of Pyrax. The chunks of ice that are left in the crater are magical, will not melt under normal circumstances and can be used to make magical weapons.)
    - Investigate the recently abandoned mines of the gnomes, hoping to find precious gems. (Something sinister has found its way into the deepest levels of the mine.)
    - The mayor sends you to the king with a request to send the knights to get rid of the dragon. (The knights are currently busy with a dragon who is avenging her children. The dragon used to be on good terms with the king, but is now trying to kill everybody involved in the murder of her children. E.g. merchants that trade in dragon scales, wizards that bought dragon scales as spell components and the dragon slayer himself.)
    - Getting rid of the bandits living at the edge of the forest.
    - Kill the dragon in his forest territory. (He has 2 lairs, a fake lair and a gem mine where the enslaved gnomes are working.)
    Races: So far I've got humans and gnomes. Humans being the mundane if we use the 5 races trope. Gnomes are a bit different from standard Pathfinder. They replace dwarves, goblins, kobolds and the standard gnomes in this setting, as well as anything else that resembles them. Most gnomes are gemminers, though some are quite talented illusionists. Some gnome communities can be hostile, but for the most part they are neutral and just tend to stick with their own kind.

Deities: So far, I've got Pyrax, a mythic elder fire elemental. Beyond that, I was hoping the players would come up with their own deities. That's not because I'm lazy, but because I want the players to contribute to this setting. Besides, who am I to tell the players which god their characters can worship?

Malachite deserves some special attention. He's not just a two-headed dragon. He functions as two dragons, each with there own statblock. This provides some problems, mostly with movement.

Beyond this, I don't know what to add yet. I don't know if I will ever run this campaign, but at least I put it out there for other people to plagiarise.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [PF] sandbox setting

Beyond this, I don't know what to add yet. I don't know if I will ever run this campaign, but at least I put it out there for other people to plagiarise.
    Where are you? If you're in the general vicinity of Greenville, SC then I can promise you 1 to 4 players.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm from the old world, actually...

We could try this via Roll20 actually, but there's at least 6 hours of timezones between us. Now beside that, you already read most of the plot, or at least the beginning. I'm also DMing for 2 players at the time and playing in another game with 2 possible games coming up.
    Though if you really want me to do this, we could always try Roll20.
    Last edited by the_david; 2014-08-18 at 12:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

I'm from the old world, actually...
    Y'know, I looked at your profile for a location and didn't find it, then today I look right below you avatar and there it is. Ah, well.
    We could try this via Roll20 actually, but there's at least 6 hours of timezones between us. Now beside that, you already read most of the plot, or at least the beginning. I'm also DMing for 2 players at the time and playing in another game with 2 possible games coming up.
    Though if you really want me to do this, we could always try Roll20.
    Thanks, but you sound quite busy enough. I've tried Skype gaming with only partial success; haven't tried Roll20. I've got another opportunity for remote gaming in my own time zone if I want to go that route.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    Y'know, I looked at your profile for a location and didn't find it, then today I look right below you avatar and there it is. Ah, well.
    I don't know if I never got to enter a location for my profile or if it dissappeared but I fixed it, yes. Sorry.
    Last edited by the_david; 2014-08-31 at 03:12 PM.