New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Question Intimidating Feats

Need some feats for a 2 weapon fighting Barbarian who's going to focus on Intimidating and Cowering enemies. I already know about Imperious Command. I'm lvl 3 and have never played an Intimidate build or a Barbarian.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Intimidating Feats

Dazzling Display. I don't know if 3.5 has it, but it's ridiculously fun, and you get to role play being a bad ass with your weapon of choice.

The only pre-requisite is Weapon Focus, which doesn't hurt at all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

There's a variant rule (Away from my books atm, I'll find the source later), which lets you use Strength for Intimidate instead of Charisma, provided you make a display like breaking something or flexing your muscles. Try to swing that by your DM, and you'll be a lot less MAD.

Remember, a lot of enemies are immune to Fear (Fear is also mind-affecting, so mind-affecting shuts the tactic down), so make sure that you can still kill stuff/contribute without Fear. If your campaign is heavy with Constructs, Undead, or Oozes, you might want to reconsider the Fear focus.

If you have access to Pathfinder material, you're golden. Take Enforcer and Dastardly Finish on top of your combo, deal some Nonlethal damage, and simply roll over anything without Fear Immunity.

There's a Fear Handbook out there, which someone else will probably link. It contains many helpful hints.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Dazzling Display, Intimidating Prowess, Enforcer, Dastardly Finish, etc, etc. There's also a critical effect that doesn't just shaken, but fears the enemy. Keep in mind that fear is usually much better in situations where, well, things can be feared.

Doesn't hurt to have power attack, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The Fear Handbook.

Namely, I'd go Desert Half-Orc, use the Half-Humans variant in Races of Destiny page 150, take Dreadful Wrath in PGtF, dip one level of Half-Orc Paragon, and say you visited the Otyugh Hole detailed in CS to get Menacing Demeanor for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it (you can say you visited a few more times to get Extend Rage for that same price each time). Imperious Command is a given, the Never Outnumbered skill trick in CS is a must-have, absolutely pick up some armor with the Fearsome property from Drow of the Underdark. Just check out the Vern build at the Fear Handbook for some ideas on what to take.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I have a high charisma and no magic in this campaign. Also no TOB. Also limited to humans.
    Last edited by D20Doctor; 2012-10-06 at 09:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by D20Doctor View Post
    I have a high charisma and no magic in this campaign. Also no TOB.
    Yes but the question still stands is "What kind of things will you be facing, and more to the point, do they have the ability to think cognitively" ?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duboris View Post
    Yes but the question still stands is "What kind of things will you be facing, and more to the point, do they have the ability to think cognitively" ?
    So far we have been fighting mutants, dire animals, and Humans. Seems like we will be fighting mostly humanoids and cognitive creatures.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Then you, my fine friend, need not worry about not having things to scare the **** out of.

Needless to say, those feats would come in handy.

Are you playing Pathfinder, and if so, what books?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Instantaneous Rage, so you can Rage even when it's not your turn. intimidating Rage, to intimidate as a free action an opponent within 30ft. The Never Outnumbered skill trick, to apply the result of your Intimidate check to all enemies within 10ft. Imperious Command, so they're pretty much stuck. Profit.
    Last edited by Uhtred; 2012-10-06 at 10:02 PM.
    ~Othar wanted me to know so that I would tell men that Othar the Storm-Rider had died well, and I had told him to keep a tight hold of his sword so that Othar the Storm-Rider would go to the feast hall in Valhalla where all warriors who die bravely go after death. These days, although I am old and feeble, I always wear a sword, so that when death comes I will go to that far hall where men like Othar wait for me. I look forward to meeting them.~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There's Kiai Shout from Complete Warrior. Kiai Shout isn't specifically intimidate, but it is a fear effect.
    The Kingdom's of Kalamar Player's Guide has a few feats like Kiai Shout as well. If you own that, I'd check it out.
    Also, Goad from Complete Adventurer is kind of what you're going for...
    And if you can work on and improve the Samurai class from Complete Warrior it comes with some intimidate bonuses.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

And if your DM has problems with a custom item of +Intimidate, grab a Crystal Mask of Dread (+10 Intimidate, 10k gp, MIC). It follows the cost formula precisely, and there's not much competing for your face slot until high levels.