New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dragonborn Question

We have a guy who tries to have broken characters in every campaign, often be outrageous interpretations of rules or simply "misunderstanding" them. Here is another issue that I need help understanding. As I am very new to 4e (he usually tried to do this in the 3.5e campaigns).

He has a dragonborn, I think only level 4 or 5, and he is taking feats that add different elements to his breath attack, and deals a LOT of damage. Right now he has 4 elements (fire, cold, electric, and acid) and apparently he can do a MINIMUM of 44 damage, and does over 100 on a critical. He said he adds strength mod + con mod + 1/2 HD + ?d6 EACH, then adds them together. This is only 1 /day, but seems he is stretching this way too much.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Much appreciated guys, thank you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonborn Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
    We have a guy who tries to have broken characters in every campaign, often be outrageous interpretations of rules or simply "misunderstanding" them. Here is another issue that I need help understanding. As I am very new to 4e (he usually tried to do this in the 3.5e campaigns).

He has a dragonborn, I think only level 4 or 5, and he is taking feats that add different elements to his breath attack, and deals a LOT of damage. Right now he has 4 elements (fire, cold, electric, and acid) and apparently he can do a MINIMUM of 44 damage, and does over 100 on a critical. He said he adds strength mod + con mod + 1/2 HD + ?d6 EACH, then adds them together. This is only 1 /day, but seems he is stretching this way too much.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Much appreciated guys, thank you.
    That is most definitely incorrect. If his original damage type is fire and he does x damage, then taking a feat that allows him to do, say, lightning damage does "x fire and lightning damage", not "x fire damage and x lightning damage". You're adding a damage type, not adding damage. It means that the damage from his attack does both types simultaneously, so an enemy has to be resistant to both to resist the damage at all.

~EDIT~
    I'm also not sure where the strength mod or the 1/2 HD come from (not sure what HD refers to, actually). Does he have some kind of feat that gives that to him?
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2012-10-08 at 02:25 AM.

DM'ing Trouble In Orlane IC | OOC

Stick figure character portraits I've made for myself and others.

"I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up." -

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shamgar001 View Post
    That is most definitely incorrect. If his original damage type is fire and he does x damage, then taking a feat that allows him to do, say, lightning damage does "x fire and lightning damage", not "x fire damage and x lightning damage". You're adding a damage type, not adding damage. It means that the damage from his attack does both types simultaneously, so an enemy has to be resistant to both to resist the damage at all.

~EDIT~
    I'm also not sure where the strength mod or the 1/2 HD come from (not sure what HD refers to, actually). Does he have some kind of feat that gives that to him?
    You're quite right. But there are a few more things to clear up. First of all: The way it's wiritten it can be argued that the feats REPLACE the damage type. And you only get to pick ONE modifier. So yes. This is cheating in the way of stacking things that should actually replace eachother or be a choice rather than a package.

Far as I am aware anyway.
    You ever punched a polarbear for making you miss the buss? It's fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
    He said he adds strength mod + con mod + 1/2 HD + ?d6 EACH, then adds them together.
    First, dragonbreath doesn't add strength mod to damage.

Second, NO attack in the game adds half level to damage.

Third, the feat you're talking about (admixture breath) is a paragon feat.

Fourth, that feat doesn't increase damage, it merely changes the element.

Fifth, you can only take a feat once unless it explicitly says so in the feat description; this one doesn't.

Sixth, game elements never stack with themselves, so even if it gave a damage bonus it would not do so twice.

I'll leave it as an excercise to the reader as to whether this guy is mistaken on how the rules work, or is a cheating munchkin.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'll take "cheating munckin" for 400 Kurald.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks guys. I'm betting he is a cheating munchkin. This is my first real run with 4e so I am learning it and knew they wouldn't have let something like this get by. LOL

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Little nitpick, there are several powers that deal or add half-level to damage.
    Immediate Justice, Silver Fire, Punish the Profane(kinda), Warlock's Wrath, etc.