New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXVIII

Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to Iron Chef XXXVIII. Here in Optimization Colosseum, contestants will endeavor to create an optimized and flavorful character using a specified D&D3.5 prestige class as a "Secret Ingredient".

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.
    32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em. This comes up often enough to bear mention in the rules: Dragon Compendium is allowed.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59PM GMT on Saturday, October 20th, 2012 to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, Amphetryon. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying. Judges will have until 11:59PM GMT on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012 to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.
    Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.
    Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points. Please note the following change: a legal source's relative obscurity should not be considered as penalizing Elegance, excepting the aforementioned issues with Unearthed Arcana. Using too many sources may be an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion, but a book's relative obscurity may not.
    Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!
    Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

3rd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

4th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

5th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

6th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

7th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

8th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

9th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

10th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

11th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

12th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

13th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

14th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

15th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

16th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

17th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

18th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

19th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

20th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]NAME OF ENTRY[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]Class[/b]|[b]Base Attack Bonus[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[b]Skills[/b]|[b]Feats[/b]|[b]Class Features[/b]

1st|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

3rd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

4th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

5th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

6th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

7th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

8th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

9th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

10th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

11th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

12th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

13th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

14th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

15th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

16th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

17th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

18th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

19th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

20th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells per day/Spells Known
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]Spells per day/Spells Known[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]0lvl[/b]|[b]1st[/b]|[b]2nd[/b]|[b]3rd[/b]|[b]4th[/b]|[b]5th[/b]|[b]6th[/b]|[b]7th[/b]|[b]8th[/b]|[b]9th[/b]

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.
    Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners. If your entry includes a prestige class or ACF that grants Leadership or a Leadership-like ability as a bonus feat, the feat should be ignored and is not eligible to be traded away for another feat or ACF through any means.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This week's special ingredient is:
    Dragon Magic's Hand of the Winged Master!
    We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build. Judges, contestants and guests alike are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM.

Allez optimiser!

Contestants

Judges

The Builds

Past Competitions

Iron Chef I: Entropomancer
    Iron Chef II: Psibond Agent
    Iron Chef III: Cancer Mage
    Iron Chef IV: Stonelord
    Iron Chef V: War Chanter
    Iron Chef VI: Master of Masks
    Iron Chef VII: Green Star Adept
    Iron Chef VIII: Pyrokineticist
    Iron Chef IX: Animal Lord
    Iron Chef X: Mythic Exemplar
    Iron Chef XI: Blade Bravo
    Iron Chef XII: War Mind
    Iron Chef XIII: Vigilante
    Iron Chef XIV: Seeker of the Song
    Iron Chef XV: Drunken Master
    Iron Chef XVI: Assassin
    Iron Chef XVII: Ardent Dilettante
    Iron Chef XVIII: Unseelie Dark Hunter
    Iron Chef XIX: Dread Pirate
    Iron Chef XX: Incandescent Champion
    Iron Chef XXI: Ghostwalker
    Iron Chef XXII: Dervish
    Iron Chef XXIII: Divine Crusader
    Iron Chef XXIV: Tactical Soldier
    Iron Chef XXV: Scion of Tem-Et-Nu
    Iron Chef XXVI: Shadowdancer
    Iron Chef XXVII: Mindbender
    Iron Chef XXVIII: Cryokineticist
    Iron Chef XXIX: Consecrated Harrier
    Iron Chef XXX: Initiate of Pistis Sophia
    Iron Chef XXXI: Shadow Sentinel
    Iron Chef XXXII: Temple Raider of Olidammara
    Iron Chef XXXIII: Drow Judicator
    Iron Chef XXXIV: Dragon Disciple
    Iron Chef XXXV: Death Delver
    Iron Chef XXXVI: Acolyte of the Skin
    Iron Chef XXXVII: Justiciar
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXVIII

FAQ:
    Is Dragon Compendium Allowed? Yes, but individual issues of Dragon Magazine are not.

What about 3.0 materials? 3.0 materials, whether online or in printed form, are allowed unless they've been officially updated to a 3.5 edition.

Are Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, or Kingdoms of Kalamar allowable sources? The Dragonlance Campaign Setting is allowed, but the subsequent books for Dragonlance are considered 3rd party, and are therefore not eligible, despite the "WotC approved" status of those books. The same holds for Oriental Adventures (1st party) and the subsequent Rokugan books (3rd party). Similarly, materials from Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Kingdoms of Kalamar are considered 3rd party for purposes of this contest, and are therefore not allowed.

What about online sources in general? If the online source is a) published by WotC, and b) not replaced by an updated version at a later time, it is eligible. Use it, link it.

Where's the line drawn with "acceptable/unacceptable" for Unearthed Arcana? This will likely vary a bit from Chairman to Chairman. Item Familiars and Gestalt have always been verboten, since before IC migrated to GitP; don't expect that to change. Flaws have similarly always been noted as warranting a deduction; while I am Chairman, I'm extending that to Traits, though they warrant 1/2 the penalty in Elegance that a Flaw would because they're roughly 1/2 as useful. Alternate spell systems, alternate skill systems and alternate crafting rules all create an uneven playing field, and as such, will be disallowed for as long as I am Chairman. Bloodlines are ripe for abuse, and will be strongly discouraged as long as I am Chairman. Note that judges are allowed to look askance at any use of Unearthed Arcana not specifically mentioned above, at their discretion, and otherwise penalize Elegance according to their preference.

What, exactly, does the ban on Leadership mean? As folks have started to try to work around the edges of this one, I'm forced to spell it out more plainly. No Leadership, Draconic Cohort, or Feats that grant a similar ability are allowed EXCEPT Wild Cohort while Amphetryon is chairman. Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.

What's the minimum score in a category? Assuming an entry is legal, the minimum score in any category is 1. If a judge is convinced that an entry is illegal by the RAW, the judge may give a 0 or decline to score a given entry. Because this contest focuses on Player Characters, an entry that is not technically allowed for a PC, but is viable as an NPC, counts as a legal entry, but may receive a minimum score at the judges' discretion.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting choice, I was rooting for Scorpion Heritor (since I have a complete build already XD); but I like Hand of the Winged Master so I'll see if I can come up with something.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oooh... I have an interesting idea here already.
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

5. - Top - End - #5

Can't say I saw this one coming, no sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sneaky tricksters and such. I might be able to make something for this.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm does anyone else find weird that Lord of Madness (and thud Darkstalker) was published before Dragon Magic and True Stealth is worse in pretty much all respects?
    Just call me Dusk

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Hmmm does anyone else find weird that Lord of Madness (and thud Darkstalker) was published before Dragon Magic and True Stealth is worse in pretty much all respects?
    But not every respect? I feel ya, though, this class was a good selection for Iron Chef.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

But Darkstalker costs a Feat!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    But Darkstalker costs a Feat!
    clearly an unreasonable and extravagant cost
    I am in. I had an idea for a different SI, but can likely adapt it to this rather well. I'm going to try hard not to write Ted again. even though he was awesome.
    Last edited by Venger; 2012-10-06 at 08:53 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I looooove sneaky classes, I already have several ideas for this competition and by Tiamat! I will submit a build!*

*I hope
    Just call me Dusk

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... One fairly strong idea, plus a couple others that need some refining. I hope to enter this one, although the next two weeks are pretty busy for me.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, at one of the class features doesn't fuction properly. This should be...interesting.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Which one ,True Stealth ?
    Just call me Dusk

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Which one ,True Stealth ?
    In a way. Also, I mistook Dragonfire Strike for Assult, which uses the power attack feat

Still, for a stealthy class, they don't get many stealth abilities.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Blood~

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Darn don't have this book. I guess I'll just lurk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HotWM has so little going for it that I'd rather Zinc Saucier than Iron Chef. As such, I'll judge for this round instead of competing. There are no qualifications, right?

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    HotWM has so little going for it that I'd rather Zinc Saucier than Iron Chef. As such, I'll judge for this round instead of competing. There are no qualifications, right?
    Qualifications are "Access to the Secret Ingredient."

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Master's Gift's description of a beneficial spell rules out the majority of the beneficial spells that would make it kind-of-sort-of useful. Frustrating.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Build ready, just need to do the type up (I seriously should stop building on paper and then transcribing) and do some fine tuning on the background.
    Just call me Dusk

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, my builds already in. That was quick.

Wonder if I should do another?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

22. - Top - End - #22

Tentatively volunteering myself as a judge, since I can't find any unique class features that I would actually base a build around or justification for taking it over straight Rogue with Darkstalker...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Qualifications are "Access to the Secret Ingredient."
    And loads of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    hear hear. I'm having similar problems (why not just xx sneaky class with darkstalker? why the SI?) I'm having a hard time giving a good answer to that question.

if I can't cook anything tasty, I'd be happy to judge. Here are my criteria: let me know if there are any questions about them. I want to be fair and consistent.

scoring overall

Spoiler
    Show
    Like most of the other judges, I feel the simplest way to judge is to start from 3s in everything and add/subtract from there.

While I greatly enjoy backstory, I know that writing is not everyone's school of specialisation, so while an interesting concept can give you points in originality and a character arc can explain your class choices/transitions for elegance, lack of these things in your backstory can't lose points, so think of it as a "bonus" section.

I am familiar with the rules of the game and know a few tricks and combinations, but I might not be able to fully realise every build's potential for awesomeness by reading its chart alone. if there are any particular tricks/tips that your build can do that are especially important or that you feel would gain you points or lose points if a judge missed them, please explain or mention them in your entry so I don't miss them.

originality

Spoiler
    Show
    How original is your concept on its own merits? is it a tried and true classic like a diplomancer or a rainbow warsnake or is it something that hasn't been done before? obscurity is not a factor here, just the "I wish I'd thought of that" factor of your build.

Since the builds are submitted simultaneously, I'm not going to deduct for sharing similarities with other contestants. If the idea itself is good enough to throw me, I don't think it's fair for me to deduct from the people who come up later in the order.

power

Spoiler
    Show
    Having exhaustively examined the capabilities of the SI, my standards for what is a powerful hand of the winged master build will obviously be a little less stringent than what would be a powerful build for another more powerful class, the chefs are starting with a handicap as it were.

Can you overcome some of the inherent flaws of the SI in your build? (ex: the capstone) if so, how do you do so, and how much better is your alternative?

elegance

Spoiler
    Show
    I do not believe in deductions from elegance due to obscurity or number of sources, so feel free to spread yourselves as thin as you feel appropriate when it comes to number of books.

I don't mind dips in general, some classes are only one or two levels long as far as optimisation is concerned. What I'm interested in is the justification or explanation behind it. This is someplace that your backstory can really help explain transitions from class to class.

A list of books for where you got all your ingredients would also make my fact-checking a lot easier. Please include one so I don't have to go book diving.

use of the secret ingredient

Spoiler
    Show
    While it may be difficult given the secret ingredient, a good way to score points will definitely be if the build overall feels more like a hand of the winged master than anything else. While more levels in the SI are obviously a good thing, you've got to have a reason behind them and the extra levels have to be a help rather than a hindrance to your build.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm considering Judging, I'll put up some criteria tomorrow.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

if i can get my friend to lend me his copy ill shoot for it
    LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY...... where's my BBEG?

"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!" Kefka-Final Fantasy 6

Insanity brings out the best in all of us. That, or swearing.

Rarely respond if I do its a miracle (as a 20th lvl caster)

Standings in IC:

20th in IC XXXIV(Dragon Disciple)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

alright i can go for this one guys

GOD THIS THING HURTS MY SANITY GOOD LORD
    LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY...... where's my BBEG?

"Life... dreams... hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!" Kefka-Final Fantasy 6

Insanity brings out the best in all of us. That, or swearing.

Rarely respond if I do its a miracle (as a 20th lvl caster)

Standings in IC:

20th in IC XXXIV(Dragon Disciple)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually working on another build for this; what can I say, I feel inspired.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

29. - Top - End - #29

Mercy me, I'm having enough trouble cooking up one good build. I'm really interested to see what you quick chefs were able to conjure up in such an abbreviated time frame.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by only1doug View Post
    I'm considering Judging, I'll put up some criteria tomorrow.
    Here are my criteria:

originality

Spoiler
    Show

Points deducted for each other submitted build that uses the same Base classes or tricks.

power

Spoiler
    Show
    How well do the various builds do what they are designed to do? Each build will be judged on its own merits against a baseline rogue.

elegance

Spoiler
    Show
    do the class transitions seem smooth? the smoother the transitions the more points

use of the secret ingredient

Spoiler
    Show

a divisive factor here, (class levels / 10) will be multiplied by my opinion of how well the class features (of the number of levels you took) are utilised by your build.
    Doug

Currently GMing :
    Moonshae Mysteries IC / OOC / Central Map / west rooms map / east rooms map
    Moonshae Tales IC / OOC / Map
    Map of Area