New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default List of Moderators

I can't find any list of moderators here more recent than 2010.

Spoiler
    Show
    averagejoe (The Mod They Call Me/Hero in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Media, Webcomics, Roleplaying Games
    kpenguin (The Modguin/Penguin in the Playground) - Media, OOTS, Webcomics
    Mark Hall (The Mod Wonder/Superhero in the Playground) - Roleplaying Games, Homebrew Design, Gaming (Other), OotS
    SMEE (The Rainbow Mod/Pure Girl in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Avatar & Signature Issues, Arts & Crafts, OotS
    The Glyphstone (Great Modthulhu/Eldritch Horror In The Playground) - Roleplaying Games, Homebrew Design, Gaming (Other)
    Vaynor (The Red Towel/Hoopy Frood in the Playground) -Arts & Crafts, Homebrew Design, Roleplaying Games
    Zeb the Troll (Troll Patrol/Grandpa in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Structured Games, Silly Message Board Games, PbP

I'm researching different foru moderation techniques, and Giantitp seems to be pretty thoroughly moderated with a fairly high standard of conduct, but a shockingly small number of mods if that's the whole list. How do you do it?!?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: List of Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I can't find any list of moderators here more recent than 2010.

Spoiler
    Show
    averagejoe (The Mod They Call Me/Hero in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Media, Webcomics, Roleplaying Games
    kpenguin (The Modguin/Penguin in the Playground) - Media, OOTS, Webcomics
    Mark Hall (The Mod Wonder/Superhero in the Playground) - Roleplaying Games, Homebrew Design, Gaming (Other), OotS
    SMEE (The Rainbow Mod/Pure Girl in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Avatar & Signature Issues, Arts & Crafts, OotS
    The Glyphstone (Great Modthulhu/Eldritch Horror In The Playground) - Roleplaying Games, Homebrew Design, Gaming (Other)
    Vaynor (The Red Towel/Hoopy Frood in the Playground) -Arts & Crafts, Homebrew Design, Roleplaying Games
    Zeb the Troll (Troll Patrol/Grandpa in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Structured Games, Silly Message Board Games, PbP

I'm researching different foru moderation techniques, and Giantitp seems to be pretty thoroughly moderated with a fairly high standard of conduct, but a shockingly small number of mods if that's the whole list. How do you do it?!?
    Oh, can I get this one?
    *ahem* Hi there old one. this amazing accomplishment is acomplished by both vigilant and popular/friendly mods who dont't hesitate to participate as members of the forum, and a desire of many forumites to be in a civil enviroment to internet /verb in. Many forumites are polite, and realize doing against-rule things both annoy themselves in a few hours when it gets removed and they get a PM, and the mod who has to remove it and tell them that it was against the rules.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

For a while (perhaps a year or so) it was essentially just Roland and Rawhide, so the list you posted is the expanded moderator crew! But it looks pretty complete from what I remember. Things are pretty stable around these parts as far as that go, and yes, they do a great job.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Moderating such a large community with so few mods is easy when the mod team has mind control powers but they don't, and that would be impossible in any case, so ignore this post and go back to your fun, citizen.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Alarra and Grey Watcher aren't on your list. Nor is apegamer, though his profile doesn't list him as a moderator anymore even though his name is still listed at the bottom of the OOTS Adventure Game sub-forum.

Edit: To propose an answer to the question, I think it's partially due to the diligent enforcement of the forum rules, by both the Mods and members. Boundary maintenance is part of any community and is in part self-reinforcing by the community members as long as the authority figures in the community continue to uphold those standards.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2012-10-06 at 11:49 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

All of the forum moderators and admins are listed in the Forum Rules.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks!

But... with so few, how do you manage if someone needs to take a few days off due to, y'know, life? Nine mods and two admin does not leave a lot of spare time in a forum as active as this one, I'd imagine!

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the there is no mind control SOZ! Also, we've got Mods in many timezones, and no one on the internet sleeps.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    ... Also, we've got Mods in many timezones ...
    I remember a theory based on this back when it was just Rawhide & Roland. The fact that he seemed to be able to react at any time of the day led us to believe that there were in fact several people in multiple timezones posting under the Roland St. Jude account, secretly working in shifts.

Rawhide just never sleeps, but if you lived in a country where every living thing (and a few non-living things) was trying to kill you, you wouldn't sleep either.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-10-07 at 08:09 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Thanks!

But... with so few, how do you manage if someone needs to take a few days off due to, y'know, life? Nine mods and two admin does not leave a lot of spare time in a forum as active as this one, I'd imagine!
    I'd imagine the report function and an overall pretty sensible community would help in policing.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I'd imagine the report function and an overall pretty sensible community would help in policing.
    There is also the strict boundaries on acceptable topics. They took a scalpel (and sometimes a blunt axe) to every topic that is more often than not inflammatory. They don't bother with attempting to draw lines in the sand. Not "not modern day religious talk". Instead, "no religious talk, even if the last follower likely died 1500 years ago". "No politics", not "no modern US politics", etc.

And whenever a topic is known to end up in flames, it gets added to the list. Happened to us in the comic section when compilation threads (Level geekery, MitD, etc.) got briefly added due to meta-discussion flame wars until the mods found a way to make us play nice or else.

Edit: oh, and as pointed out in my sig, the fact that the forum as a whole is insane helps too. Why flame, when we would rather discuss how a male human could be a female dwarf in disguise.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-10-07 at 10:14 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #12
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: As Rawhide noted, the list of current mods, retired mods, and admins can be found in the Forum Rules.

As for how we do it, maybe I'll post my thoughts later.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-10-07 at 01:27 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex