New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Trapsmith or Combat Trapsmith?

In my current campaign I'm playing a a character who is obsessed with traps and mechanical devices. Though she's currently a Rogue2/Swashbuckler1 (taking Daring Outlaw at 6th level), I know that at 8th level (at which point I'll have the Rogue's Uncanny Dodge and the Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike) she's going to prestige into either the Trapsmith or the Combat Trapsmith prestige class.

My question is: Which one of these two classes is better? Either one works for flavor, I just want to know which one of these two prestige classes is better and why.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Trapsmith or Combat Trapsmith?

Trapsmith has spells and in D&D spells are better than everything at everything starting at mid-levels, so on that account I would suggest Trapsmith. It has some seriously good spells at low levle (hello haste as a level 1 spell). You might need something to improve your CL a bit (Practiced spellcaster can really help you here).

Also I think that Daring Outlaw is an everything or nothing deal, if you are jumping out of rogue or Swashbuckler after a few levels I don't think it is worth it in that case.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Trapsmith, as a general rule, is better. Its limited casting actually gives you quite a few powerful options.

Combat Trapsmith has a much better "trapping" mechanic, though. I kind of like it better in general. The main problem with Combat Trapsmith is that the DCs don't really scale properly, so by high levels they'll be trivially easy to pass.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Trapsmith, as a general rule, is better. Its limited casting actually gives you quite a few powerful options.
    *cough* Swiftblade *cough*

But, yes, Trapsmith is a very nice class. The class abilities are pretty decent if you deal with any traps. If your DM is running published modules or likes to put in traps, it is very very nice. But the spell list is really powerful.

I'd not bother with Daring Outlaw if you are going to prestige out. You can take Trapsmith then take Unseen Seer to snag Hunter's Eye though.

Edit: I'd take trapsmith asap if it is in your build. Rogue 2/Factotum 3/Trapsmith X.
    Last edited by hex0; 2012-10-07 at 01:55 PM.
    Current homebrew in development: Wild Surge Rager

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trapsmith. Maybe a level of combat trapsmith would be OK, situationally, but honestly, there's no great reward for getting through 5 levels of combat trapsmith unless you regularly have a medium amount of prep time(if you have little or none, they aren't the best, and if you have a lot, one level will really do pretty much the same thing). Trapsmith gets Wall of Stone, for Gods sake. The effectiveness in terms of battlefield control...well, there's really no comparison. And combat trapsmith eats up gold rather quickly if you use them liberally. I believe most are 10GP and non-reusable(I might be wrong on the second point, don't exactly remember).
    Last edited by Wise Green Bean; 2012-10-07 at 02:29 PM.
    To anyone who thought Gandalf was dead: Don't you know, a wizard is never late?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, thanks. And yeah, that's what I was thinking. Haste at 1st level is just too good. But I'm only taking three levels of Trapsmith, I think. In that case I only loose 1d6 sneak attack, and then go right back to the Roguebuckler build.