New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Advice on equipment/magic gear

My group recently acquired a building of our own to use as a base of operations. The previous residents were forcibly evicted when it was discovered they were a bunch of sadistic cultists responsible for murders all over the city. Well...when I say evicted I mean that we killed most of them and had the survivors put in jail. Regardless, we got first dibs on this shop of oddities they used as their base. Our diplomancer bard managed to get the government to sell it to us for 3,000gp. Then he convinced the wizard academy headmaster to purchase all of the books in the building. We have a total of 10,000gp credit at %75 market price. What kind of equipment/items should we get? I'm probably going to give up my share to the other party members since my Paladin will be leaving soon to be replaced by a Druid, but the other players listen to my suggestions because I'm the most experienced and I have a grasp on mechanics and optimization. This is a mid-low op group. For reference the group consists of a gnome bard, aasimar paladin (me), human with a fiendish bloodline paladin of freedom, human wizard/rogue (going for arcane trickster), elf archery focused ranger.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Advice on equipment/magic gear

Level? Sources allowed?

You're looking at a 4-way split if you give up your share, so that's 2500 at 75% market value so your options are pretty limited.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Sorry I meant to include that in my original post. We are currently level 5, and pretty much any source besides dragon magazine and Pathfinder are allowed with DM approval.

4. - Top - End - #4

Saw this in some comments about Vow of Poverty.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

Alternatively, you could work on building your little shop into a complete stronghold. See if your DM will let you become a secret police force for the government in the Campaign.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Thumbs down Re: Advice on equipment/magic gear

Quote Originally Posted by Threadnaught View Post
    Saw this in some comments about Vow of Poverty.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851

Alternatively, you could work on building your little shop into a complete stronghold. See if your DM will let you become a secret police force for the government in the Campaign.
    I'll give that thread a look. I don't think secret police is going to happen. The government seems to be in cahoots with devils and such. There was this big celebration and the king put the entire city under martial law during the event. Things have gone downhill since. The clerical order of Pelor and the Champions of Heironeous and Knights of the Watch (it's a Greyhawk campaign) have all been outlawed and declared enemies of the state. Several party members have alliances with one or more of these groups. The King has been seen with a Bone Devil in public view, there's guards patrolling the streets with Barghest enforcers and the new captain has a Fiendish Megaraptor mount. The Temple of the Sun had a pillar of Hellfire and Brimstone rip it into pieces (we got into a fight with the Bone Devil there but it got away). I've been supplying the party with Holy Water and both myself and the Paladin of Freedom prep Bless Weapon on a daily basis. Other than that the group is ill fit to take on all these evil creatures that have been terrorizing the populace the past few days. Luckily healing isn't an issue. I convinced everyone to inveat in a healing belt.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

This is always a good resource when you have a little money to spend and are looking to get the biggest bang for your buck.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
    I don't think secret police is going to happen. The government seems to be in cahoots with devils and such.
    An alternative way to play the government.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting, since you're clearly acting against the current establishment, are you willing to find allies within who are known threats to it? You could try undermining them first by planting a few pieces of evidence that points to several of the most dangerous people, not exactly being in league with the devils. Or worse, cavorting with demons.
    Free a few prisoners and cause dissidence in a certain district, do this a few times, then when the guards finally increase their presence in this area, try it in another part of the city. Move around and try to keep your DM guessing until you've done at least 3 locations. Then hit a barracks or whatever, some supply line would be a good target.
    Once you've managed to annoy the guards enough and shown them that you can hurt them... Without them even knowing who you are, they should be looking for a ghost. You should keep up the offensive, keep undermining them and find a way to let an army under the banners of the clerical order of Pelor, the Champions of Heironeous and Knights of the Watch into the city without the guards noticing. You'd need at least 3 bases in the city with a large enough underground area.
    Once your armies rise up and fight the guards, the Devils themselves are likely to rise up from Hell in an attempt to bring their own style of order. This would be a good thing, if you were capable of fighting them, hopefully by now you are.

Mind Blank and Greater Invisibility should really help, if Antimagic isn't the most common thing ever. If you abuse this, expect your DM to allow the Devils to adapt to your strategy.