New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Opinion on a character concept?

One of my best friends will be running the Pathfinder module "Rise of the Runelords" (which I know nothing about, so I'm going in blind). I've created my character, which he has approved.
    He's an orc masochist worshipping Zon-Kuthon, the god of pain and torture. He has a whopping 20 STR and 16 CON due to some good rolls, and an unfortunate 3 INT due to a single really bad roll. He wields a falchion. He wears a hideous mask that nets him a bonus to Intimidate. He ritually scars himself in service to his patron god.
    Oh, yeah. He's the party spellcaster, and he's Good-aligned. In truth, this terrifying facade is just that: a facade. He's a Scarred Witch Doctor/Hedge Witch combination. He firmly believes that without suffering, no healing can be made. He chooses to direct the suffering at himself, and use the healing on others.
    So, what's your opinion, Playground? Any way to improve this character?
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Opinion on a character concept?

If you can pick up some more CON, it would help. If your group is even medium OP, all primary casters should probably max out their casting stat. Especially if you're planning to use that falchion, d6 HD won't carry you far.
    Any idea on the backstory? A good orc is already unusual. Also, consider what kind of personality would create someone who likes to scare and mislead people. Is he kind of a jerk/prankster sort of guy(good is not necessarily nice). Prankster is a little hard to pull of with barely enough INT to be considered sentient...
    If you can change races, I'd look at half orc. That would help explain the tendency towards distrust, the taking pleasure in messing with people, while still being protective(depending how you spin it, of course). Plus, not being a crushing idiot(really, your chap is practically mentally retarded) opens up a lot of possibilities for role play, losing the orc INT penalty will be a boon for you.
    To anyone who thought Gandalf was dead: Don't you know, a wizard is never late?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1. I DID max out my CON. I rolled two 16's, and as an Orc, my STR happened to get a +4 boost.
    2. I can't change my race, not even to Half-Orc. Scarred Witch Doctor is an Orc-only archetype. Plus, I kind of like the idea of a healing-based, Good-aligned Orc.
    3. Yes, I have a backstory. It's nothing too spectacular (I suck at backstories), but basically, he rebuked the standard Orc way of life after seeing his own tribe pillage a small town. He was, of course, kicked out the tribe and left to die on his own. Thing is, he didn't die, and found a cult of Zon-Kuthon who taught him to embrace and draw power from pain.
    4. Personality: He is obviously quite slow on the uptake of things due to his crushing INT score (in fact, if I can convince my DM to let me keep the falchion proficiency, I'm taking the Feral RAF and making him lose all languages).
    He realizes he's quite the frightening presence, especially with his mask on, so he keeps it off while within settlements. In battle, he fends off foes with his terrifying, barbarian-like appearance while tending to his comrades.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

That sounds like a fun character to play, though I think introducing him to the group would be a little tricky. Unless it's an evil group, and they assume he's evil, and he's not quite smart enough to realize they're evil, and hijinks ensue. Though that might not be a good long-term strategy. Probably him saving their lives after they got the crap beaten out of them by something would be a better approach.

He'd definitely be memorable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    2. I can't change my race, not even to Half-Orc. Scarred Witch Doctor is an Orc-only archetype. Plus, I kind of like the idea of a healing-based, Good-aligned Orc.
    Pretty sure being a half-orc automatically qualifies you for anything that requires you to be an orc, so you can in fact take that as a half-orc.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

With a 3 intelligence wouldn't your character be borderline retarded and barely able to function in any mental capacity?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1. Half-Orc is counted as Orc for any effects relating to race. There are quite a few places that specifically mention Orc or Half-Orc as a prerequisite, and this is one of them.
    2. Yes, he is extremely dim-witted. He can register emotions, though, just as any animal can. He recognizes fear, anger, joy, etc.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

3 int? 3 int? Yea, I would scrap those rolls, 'Yea, there is no way I am playing a character with a 3 anything. It just doesn't make any sense, and I don't think I could roleplay it successfully. I need a reroll of that stat in order to participate in this game.'

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would take a flaw which makes me mute, and then pick up some form of primitive sign language. Then instead of being forced to interject blather into the game, you simply remain silent and sign your agreement with other people's plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    1. Half-Orc is counted as Orc for any effects relating to race. There are quite a few places that specifically mention Orc or Half-Orc as a prerequisite, and this is one of them.
    2. Yes, he is extremely dim-witted. He can register emotions, though, just as any animal can. He recognizes fear, anger, joy, etc.
    More precisely, Int 3 is more sophisticated than an animal intellect, so he's not just limited to quite that small a range. Buuuut it's still gonna be tough to role-play that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

How does one get a 3 int anyway? Isn't there a rule that says you can't start with less than a 8 in a score and even after the racial it should still be 6 which would be doable.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

I just gotta say this. Roleplay a 3INT as really dumb. You don't gotta worry about "is this dumb enough for 3 INT?" unless you've got someone with, like, 6INT running around. The whole animals are all 1 or 2 intelligence thing is silly anyway. Horses, for instance have the cognitive ability of a child (in other words, significantly higher than 3), and dolphins are at least almost as smart as humans. http://news.discovery.com/animals/do...-function.html

Which maybe is more a critique of the applacation of intelligence to animals in Dnd, but still. Do you think anyone at your table will be bothered if you play him really dumb, but functional?

EDIT: RE min sat, there is no rule in the RAW that says you have to have X minimum, no, aside from 3 being minimum sentient INT
    Last edited by Susano-wo; 2012-10-07 at 10:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    I just gotta say this. Roleplay a 3INT as really dumb. You don't gotta worry about "is this dumb enough for 3 INT?" unless you've got someone with, like, 6INT running around. The whole animals are all 1 or 2 intelligence thing is silly anyway. Horses, for instance have the cognitive ability of a child (in other words, significantly higher than 3), and dolphins are at least almost as smart as humans. http://news.discovery.com/animals/do...-function.html

Which maybe is more a critique of the applacation of intelligence to animals in Dnd, but still. Do you think anyone at your table will be bothered if you play him really dumb, but functional?

EDIT: RE min sat, there is no rule in the RAW that says you have to have X minimum, no, aside from 3 being minimum sentient INT
    I don't want to get off topic but dolphins while extremely intelligent in terms of being an animal are hardly "almost as smart as humans"

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1. I DID reroll, and you know what I got? A 4, rather than a 3. Thing is, I rerolled the entire set, and the net result put this as the better set.
    2. I'll ask about using a sign language.
    3. There is no rule saying that it must be 8 or higher when it comes to rolled stats, which is what we are using.
    4. No, the table would not mind me playing him as "dumb, but functional". We're all friends here.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

What rolling method were you all using?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like an interesting character concept. Roleplaying that intelligence score is going to be a bear, but otherwise I'd roll with it.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

We're all using the standard "4d6, drop lowest" system. I rolled two sets, and this was the better one.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invaderk2 View Post
    How does one get a 3 int anyway? Isn't there a rule that says you can't start with less than a 8 in a score and even after the racial it should still be 6 which would be doable.
    There isn't. Point buy generally has a minimum assignment (and even there, PF changes it up some), but rolling has no such rule. As mentioned, the only minimum scores required for play is Int 3 (a PC), Wis 1/Cha 1 (i.e. a creature not an object).
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alright, I'll be going along with my little brother, who is playing a Demonspawn Tiefling Barbarian (Wild Rager archetype). Our characters are friends from the cult. For his build, he has more INT than me (6 vs. 3), and just to be funny, he took a rank in Knowledge (arcana) so that he knows more about arcane magic than my Witch. Our STR is matched, though I have much more CON.
    So, basically, the raging barbarian is the source of arcane knowledge for the witch, while the witch can function as a secondary wall of meat for the barbarian.