New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Battle for the Five Nations

Raja keeps moving along with her kin, taking a roundabout way to get to the designated location so they evade detection.
    Blarg...

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a little confused on my positioning. My initiative is higher than than the 1 remaining guard, so he's had one move. He sprinted, moving 120ft. My charge had a maximum move 140ft, and I caught one of the guys running.

Since my initiative is higher, does that mean I'm within 30ft of the last guard, and can catch him before he moves?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Psycho View Post
    GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a little confused on my positioning. My initiative is higher than than the 1 remaining guard, so he's had one move. He sprinted, moving 120ft. My charge had a maximum move 140ft, and I caught one of the guys running.

Since my initiative is higher, does that mean I'm within 30ft of the last guard, and can catch him before he moves?
    The short answer is yes.

They were running away, taking two move actions to move 120ft. You moved to the same position as them and attacked, one move and one standard action, moving 120ft or thereabout to draw level with them. The guard at your initiative is 10 feet away and running. If you charge again you'll overtake him or catch him some 30 feet away as he's slow to get into his stride (low initiative).
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin moves from the falling guard without stopping, his blade slipping free with a flourish. Without losing his momentum, he changes direction to strike at the final guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a simple move/attack, since I'm within 10ft.

Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11]

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

With a look of panic on his face the Thrane watches you sprint up to him but he's powerless to deflect your cut as you first hamstring him and then put steel into his belly. With a groan his final words bubble up "Silver Flame take me."
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin returns his blade to its scabbard with but a cursory wipe to clear the blood. He then turns back to his compatriots and begins to walk back calmly. "Better get into position. Now's the time."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Ah, the plan is still on? I mean, we're not changing it, right?" Gerliow asks, checking to see if he can spot either of his crossbow bolts. Having flown off target and into the forest, he does have any luck. After a moment he pauses and asks, obviously concerned, "Um, does that mean I have to start looking for a place to hide again?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wh-where'd Raja go?" Kera looks genuinely perplexed, noticing the shifter's absence.

9. - Top - End - #249

Running through the wilderness with her shifter scouts, Raja notices the sounds of battle had ended but her 'companions' were not following her. She only prayed that they move into position before she attempted to break into the fort. Otherwise it would be a potential slaughter of her and her people, a tragedy that she would prefer to avoid.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am waiting for all of you to get with the plan *shakes fist*
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Of course, Raja was too busy talking to Tolan to tell how long it would be until she's in position. Oh well, no point in waiting around. I should have all I need for my distraction ready in 10 minutes. Unless I hear otherwise, I will start the distraction at the fort in 20 minutes. The distraction can't reliably or safely last past 5 minutes. This will be all my magic, but I expect we shall be able to take the keep."
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2013-01-30 at 08:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

As everyone moves into position the shifters who did not leave with Raja hang back. Tolan asks what is required of him but seems to just want to stay out of the way.

With Raja there are currently eight additional shifters, none wear armour of any kind but they've grabbed axes from the cart or clubs from the bodies of guards and brought them along. They actually seem very eager for a fight, perhaps a little too eager.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252

After spending a good 7 minutes drawing runes on various objects in his possession, Dallun begins walking to the keep, triggering spells with different timing as he nears the enemy.

"Leverage, Synergy, Paradigm, please see Tolan and his people to Lieutenant Osprey, inform him they are refugees, and also tell him we'll have the rest freed soon."

Well, no magic left. This'll be fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hour long at start of walk, (Dragonskin (fire) and reverse arrows), 6 minute spells when they see me (Celestial Aspect and Glorious Raiment), saving blessing of bahamaut and shockwave for the distraction.

List of spells prepped or cast repeated here
    Spoiler
    Show
    slot Wieldskill (4 xp) out of time once the rest is prepped
    slot Sudden Widened (1 AP) Shockwave (1 AP) (18 xp) instant
    slot Sudden Extended (1 AP) Blessing of Bahamut (1 AP) (18 xp) (DR 10) 12 rounds
    slot Glorious Raiment (1 Ap) (12 xp) (+1 Ac, DR 5) 6 minutes
    slot Celestial Aspect (1 AP) (18 xp) 6 minutes
    Reverse Arrows (2 AP) (18 xp) (Dr 10/magic or melee) 1 hour
    Dragonskin (2 Ap) (18 xp) (3 Ac, fire resist) 1 hour
    uses 5 of 5 spell slots, 10 of 10 AP, and 106 xp
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2013-02-04 at 07:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

As you walk out of the tree line and head across the open space towards the fort there is an immediate uproar. There's a shout from the wall and you see someone duck down. A minute later the door opens and a short man on a large white horse rides out. He is flanked by several Thrane soldiers, some with bows. They have arrows with padded heads notched and ready and are carrying small metal pots with burning coals in. "Halt!" he yells, "Have you come to surrender your forces? Lay down your arms and you will be treated well."
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

"Funny, I was about to offer you almost the exact same terms." Responds Dallun, reforming his celestial aspect as glorious wings, while gaining 15 ft of height.
    "You are undermanned and under-supplied. All of your military personnel are to leave my fort. Civilians will have free choice to go with you or leave as they chose. Thrane can lose a lot or a little today. It's your choice."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[11] Diplomacy to honestly convince him it the better choice to yield.
    Blessing of bahamaut will be saved until I need the DR vs. melee, which I doubt will happen while I fly.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

The soldiers appear visibly shaken by your transformation but the leader calls out, "A demon. A demon masquerading as one of the Blessed of the Silver Flame. Light the flame, my Faithful Brothers, and move back to the fort for protection."

With his instructions the fire pots are dropped on the ground, coals spilling out of some, and used to light the arrows they have readied. Moments later they are firing. Not at Dallun but at the ditch surrounding the fort. Other shots come from the walls and are aimed at different sections of the ditch. In seconds the wood there starts to smoulder and flames appear. The wood must have been soaked in oil or treated somehow. It spreads quickly but remains contained within the ditch.

The rider and the soldiers back away as the flames leap up in front of them. You'll lose sight of them in a few seconds as the fire rises about 5 feet above the level of the land. Sling armed soldiers man the walls above but have made no effort to shoot you yet. There is a wooden bridge that the soldiers are now attempting to pull back to their side of the ditch.

Spoiler
    Show
    This happens as the other group reaches the wall. They can work on the palisade or flee before the fire catches properly and traps you inside.

The ditch itself is about 10 feet deep and 10 feet wide and now filled with burning wood. It should be possible to jump the ditch for someone skilled at jumping (DC10 long jump or DC20 standing jump) without burning yourself but running across or falling in would be hazardous. You could always fly over it, of course if you have wings or walk through it (maybe) if you're fire resistant.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256

Raja hears the booming command of Dallan and smirks Stupid idea but at least it is effective in getting their attention... oh fanatics and their willingness to burn life. She looks back to her brethren and nods then touches the wooden pallisade, for a moment she is connected with it, she could see its life and death. A solitary tear rolled down her eye as she gently coaxed the wood to her will, shaping it into a passageway for her clan. "Remember we are here to rescue, not butcher, do not harm any innocents and at least try not to kill the fools inside but if they are foolish enough to attempt to kill you then defend yourselves. Let us run my brothers and sisters and may the Great Huntress smile upon all of you!"
    Blarg...

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera stumbles after Raja, trying to keep up with the shifters while staying as far out of the way as is feasible.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin dives in after the shifters and Kera, keeping one eye on the cleric as he looks for targets.

19. - Top - End - #259

"Kyber! About time we get to the good part!" Gerliow yells, charging foward and snapping a shot off from his crossbow at the top of the fort's wall. He knew he wouldn't hit anything, but it might make the soldiers duck down a bit.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

The wood on the palisade shifts and bends to allow you to pass through a wide gap. As Raja steps through the breech she notices that the ground her foot lands on shifts under her weight slightly. This is enough to give her pause before putting her full weight down. There are two burly men in chain shirts standing by heavy iron braziers of burning coals. Each wears thick cool gloves and looks ready to push the coals over. They're about 10 feet away and are looking directly at the breech.

Across the courtyard you can see a large group of men preparing to close the main gates and past them you can see the inner keep. There are several buildings in the fort, presumably one or more hold the shifters and prisoners though you can see no sign of either.

At the other wall Dallun watches the men and their leader retreat as he prepares to unleash his stored magic.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

Dallun points through the still open gate, then taps a rune scribed on his sleeve, unleashing a shockwave to catch the Leader's squad, as well as anyone just inside the gate.

Spoiler
    Show
    gaining 10 more ft. of height to be out the blast radius.
    blast should hit everyone within 30 ft. of the door (minus those with walls between them and the blast.
    (6d4)[14] non-lethal damage, DC 16 fort save for half damage
    those who fail the save are dazed for 1 round
    blast is 30 when spell says 20 ft. because AP spent to sudden widen

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Dallun's blast sends men flying in all directions, even the leader is send skidding through the gate in a heap, flying from his horse. He lies there dazed for a moment and you watch as he tries to stand several times. The archers lay unmoving on the ground. A foot priest wearing a Silver Flame badge at his neck rushes over to help him while another orders the gates closed.

Several stones fly towards you from the slings on the walls but most fly wide. Those that hit simply bounce off your protective infusions and armour.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera nudges Raja slightly. "S-so... what do we do now? I'm j-just a medic..." Kera whispers.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Gerilow drops his crossbow and digs into his belt pouch, pulling out a small, faintly glowing gemstone. Taking a deep breath, the short warrior focuses intensely on the stone. The stone flares for a moment before its glow fades completely. As Gerilow drops the stone and grips his large hammer, his body expands until he reached twice his size.

"Alright! Come at me and I'll send you to be with your precious Flame!" he bellows, trying his best to sound intimidating.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using a power stone of Expansion. Same rules a scroll.

In case he's hit while casting. Concentration - (1d20+6)[19]
    Intimidate - (1d20-1)[5]

Expansion only lasts for one round, but should be a nice distraction.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Round 2 of combat

Summary of previous round.

The Thrane soldiers sling a few stones at Dallun to no effect. The fire in the ditch is burning merrily and growing higher by the second. Round the side of the fort the palisade wall opens and Kera half steps through only to see guards waiting on the other side with pots of fire. They don't take any action but wait for her to move.

Team Distraction
    {table]Character|Initiative|Action
    Gerilow Brower|21|Activates Power Stone of Expansion
    Dallun Verres d'Cannith|6|
    Thrane|3|[/table]

Team Sneak in and rescue
    {table]Character|Initiative|Action
    Kera Tembler|18|
    Edwin Tuller|15|
    Raja'Umal Almach|14|
    Thrane|13|[/table]

No map yet but there's not much to show. Most of the Thranes are out of sight on the walls anyway. You get to act first.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera backpedals a bit, kneels down, and waits.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to Delay my action until initiative 14, so I go at the same time as Raja. Being the most reactive member of the party, my going first is kind of pointless.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

Raja close her eyes and chants for a moment, twiddling her fingers in well practised motions. As she finishes chanting the air around the brazier's thickens as water forms above them within the span of a heart beat water comes crashing down upon the two braziers. As the water douses the pots Raja's features turn feral and she begins moving towards the pair of soldiers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: shifting, Standard Action: casting create water so each pot will have four gallons of water rushing into them and Move action:As far as I can get towards the guards.
    Blarg...

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera follows Raja closely, staying just behind her in case of emergencies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving with Raja, staying 5ft behind.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin rushes through the hole in the wall, blade drawn, and advances on the men with the braziers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming I can move to striking range
    (1d20+8)[23]
    (1d8+4)[8]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Stepping on to the camouflaged pit trap Reflex save DC20 or fall in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Raja (1d20+5)[23]
    Kera (1d20+1)[16]
    Edwin (1d20+2)[20]

Raja releases her spell, washing over the two guards and easily dousing their flame pots. As she steps though the gap the ground bends beneath her. Only her amazing reflexes stop her falling in as she leaps to the side. Kera, following swiftly behind her, is not so lucky and falls 10 feet into the pit, landing with a loud splash. In seconds she is drenched in the oil that pools in the bottom 10 feet of the pit and is sinking rapidly down. Edwin is lucky enough to see this and manages to sidestep the pit, grabbing the palisade wall for balance and swinging himself to one side.

The men kick their wet pots into the oil but this does nothing as they are quite doused. Then they draw clubs and advance on either side of the pit. You hear a yell from the wall above, "Bring fire into the pit, one of them fell in."

Spoiler
    Show
    No damage from the fall as the oil at the bottom acts like thick water. You might want to try swimming though. The pit is 20 feet deep and the lower 10 feet contain and mixture of oil and rain water, now nicely mixed up rather than separated. There are also parts of the cover, a light wooden frame covered in some loose netting and dry leaves, now all broken and bobbing about.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-02-16 at 04:08 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show