1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Do charges provoke?

In the PHB page 141, the chart says that charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Does that mean that the movement from charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity?

If I'm holding a reach weapon and I get charged, does my enemy provoke? There's nothing in the actual text of charge that says anything about avoid AoOs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Do charges provoke?

Charging does not provoke attacks of opportunity from anything. However, a readied action with a weapon with reach, or breach, can get around that rule, I believe.

I'm under the impression that Halberds are very good at stopping chargers. It all depends on how lengthy the weapon is, and whether or not you have breach.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordotheMorning View Post
    In the PHB page 141, the chart says that charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Does that mean that the movement from charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity?

If I'm holding a reach weapon and I get charged, does my enemy provoke? There's nothing in the actual text of charge that says anything about avoid AoOs.
    Relevant footnote is relevant:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Actions In Combat
    Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity.
    So yes, a reach weapon enables AoO provocation when your enemy moves out of the 10' square and into the 5' square; it's not helpful if your enemy is charging with reach, though. (For that, you need a readied action or the equivalent.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tuggyne has the right of it. The Rules Compendium is even clearer than the SRD that while the charge itself does not provoke (as, for instance, a Bull Rush does), you "provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for your movement" (p. 27).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, you can ready an action to attack someone when they charge, which does the same thing, effectively. Halberds, tridents and some other weapons deal extra damage when used this way.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

In the case of a hostile third party, whose threat range you move through whilst charging, if you exit a threatened square whilst charging then that still provokes.
    This is due to the same footnote (1 on page 141).
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook