New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Do charges provoke?

In the PHB page 141, the chart says that charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Does that mean that the movement from charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity?

If I'm holding a reach weapon and I get charged, does my enemy provoke? There's nothing in the actual text of charge that says anything about avoid AoOs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Do charges provoke?

Charging does not provoke attacks of opportunity from anything. However, a readied action with a weapon with reach, or breach, can get around that rule, I believe.

I'm under the impression that Halberds are very good at stopping chargers. It all depends on how lengthy the weapon is, and whether or not you have breach.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordotheMorning View Post
    In the PHB page 141, the chart says that charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Does that mean that the movement from charges do not provoke attacks of opportunity?

If I'm holding a reach weapon and I get charged, does my enemy provoke? There's nothing in the actual text of charge that says anything about avoid AoOs.
    Relevant footnote is relevant:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Actions In Combat
    Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened square, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity. This column indicates whether the action itself, not moving, provokes an attack of opportunity.
    So yes, a reach weapon enables AoO provocation when your enemy moves out of the 10' square and into the 5' square; it's not helpful if your enemy is charging with reach, though. (For that, you need a readied action or the equivalent.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tuggyne has the right of it. The Rules Compendium is even clearer than the SRD that while the charge itself does not provoke (as, for instance, a Bull Rush does), you "provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for your movement" (p. 27).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, you can ready an action to attack someone when they charge, which does the same thing, effectively. Halberds, tridents and some other weapons deal extra damage when used this way.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

In the case of a hostile third party, whose threat range you move through whilst charging, if you exit a threatened square whilst charging then that still provokes.
    This is due to the same footnote (1 on page 141).
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

So here's the question. Charge does not provoke..That's clear. Now the question is, IF a player has a 15 foot reach, does he have an AoO. I'm not talking about a 3rd party. 3rd parties do get AoO. Again 3rd parties do get AoO. I'm talking about the 15 foot reach player that is being charged. Regardless of his 15 foot reach, the monster is still charging which negates the 15 foot reach AoO. So the player is under the assumption that Charge does not provoke AoO but the REACH does. I say charge negates the reach AoO.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

.....wut? I'm having a hard time parsing your question. The AoO from a charge doesn't exist, only the AoO from the movement during a charge. Any party that threatens a square the charger moves out of gets an AoO. This includes the person getting charged. Whether they can actually take advantage of this will depend on the relative reaches between them and the charger.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yes.

Let's say a barbarian armed with a scimitar charges a legionnaire armed with a longspear. The legionnaire has reach 10' and so threatens the squares 10' away from him. The barbarian charges:

1: The barbarian enters the threatened square. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity because charges don't. However, the barbarian cannot reach his target, so he continues
    2: The barbarian leaves the threatened square. This DOES provoke an attack of opportunity from the legionnaire because the barbarian is leaving a threatened square. Note that unless the spear had been set against a charge (or the legionnaire is wearing steadfast boots), the spear does not receive extra damage.
    3: Assuming the barbarian survives, the barbarian enters the adjacent square to the legionnaire and gets his charge attack because he can now reach his target.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alex1g View Post
    So here's the question. Charge does not provoke..That's clear. Now the question is, IF a player has a 15 foot reach, does he have an AoO. I'm not talking about a 3rd party. 3rd parties do get AoO. Again 3rd parties do get AoO. I'm talking about the 15 foot reach player that is being charged. Regardless of his 15 foot reach, the monster is still charging which negates the 15 foot reach AoO. So the player is under the assumption that Charge does not provoke AoO but the REACH does. I say charge negates the reach AoO.
    If I have a 15 foot reach, and you charge to within 10 feet of me, I get an attack of opportunity on you. I do NOT get an attack because you charged, I get an attack because you lefts a square I was threatening. Charging does not negate that AoO, it simply doesn't provoke another one.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    If I have a 15 foot reach, and you charge to within 10 feet of me, I get an attack of opportunity on you. I do NOT get an attack because you charged, I get an attack because you lefts a square I was threatening. Charging does not negate that AoO, it simply doesn't provoke another one.
    "Charging does not negate that AoO, it simply doesn't provoke another one." I'm confused.

12. - Top - End - #12

I guess you guys are right. Tnx for the explanation.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by alex1g View Post
    "Charging does not negate that AoO, it simply doesn't provoke another one." I'm confused.
    Some special attacks, such as grapple, provoke at AoO from the person you're using them against (unless you've got a way around that, such as a Feat). Charging does not inherently provoke an AoO like those other attacks, not automatically, however it can still provoke one for the movement portion of the action (as normal for movement). This is what the entry on that chart is telling us.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.