New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Haste and Natural Attacks?

How do they interact? Say your a Totemist with a slew of natural attacks and your full attack routine has no weapons (not even unarmed), would such a character benefit from Haste or Haste-like effects? If so how?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Haste and Natural Attacks?

I believe you get a single extra attack. So you would get to pick which natural weapon to use, but it would only be one natural weapon and only one extra attack per turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Arguably, none of the character's natural weapons fit the description of "weapon they are holding", so no extra attacks at all.

I do have to wonder why the character isn't carrying any weapons at all, in that case. Surely a double weapon would be suitable, as you could switch out which hand is currently holding it as a free action?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Well you assume the character doesn't have a set of natural weapons that are just "better." for example a dragon could easily Haste himself to make his full attack routine THAT much more frightening.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    Well you assume the character doesn't have a set of natural weapons that are just "better." for example a dragon could easily Haste himself to make his full attack routine THAT much more frightening.
    Except, as mentioned, I don't think that'll actually work, since e.g. claws aren't "held" in any sense. Sure, a dragon who manages to grab a weapon would be able to do it, but most of the time that means giving up one of the natural weapon attacks in order to get iteratives. (Which is why I suggested a double weapon, like a quarterstaff; you can change from one- to two-handed as a free action, so with two free actions you can shift it to another hand to use your claw/slam/whatever.)
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Arguably, none of the character's natural weapons fit the description of "weapon they are holding", so no extra attacks at all.

I do have to wonder why the character isn't carrying any weapons at all, in that case. Surely a double weapon would be suitable, as you could switch out which hand is currently holding it as a free action?
    And by that logic, unarmed striker builds don't benefit from Haste, yes?

For what its worth, the PF version changes it to be applicable to any natural attacks or manufactured weapons.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2012-10-08 at 08:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    And by that logic, unarmed striker builds don't benefit from Haste, yes?
    Hmm, not sure. Instinctively I'd go for "iteratives = haste-friendly" (because that is one of the two most logical interpretations I can think of*), but that's not exactly what the spell says.

Maybe chalk another one up to WotC's lousy editing?

*The other logical interpretation would be Tvtyrant's: haste gives you one extra attack, period, divided as you see fit. In that case, of course, the "with a weapon he is holding" clause serves no actual function, which is not likely to be RAW.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I can answer why the character in question does not have any weapons nor use unarmed. He's a germaphobe. Ya, I make weird character concepts.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    I can answer why the character in question does not have any weapons nor use unarmed. He's a germaphobe. Ya, I make weird character concepts.
    That is horribly true to life in its bizarre inconsistency. Well played.

However, suffice it to say that being unable to benefit from haste is, if anything, entirely appropriate to the concept; ever lived with someone with OCD?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So you character won't hold a weapon, but they have no problem digging their claws into another living being?(or whatever their natural attack is, but you get the idea.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenides View Post
    So you character won't hold a weapon, but they have no problem digging their claws into another living being?(or whatever their natural attack is, but you get the idea.)
    Well its not 'his' claws. Its the bound incarnum that's digging in. So he never actually comes in contact. Just unbind the essentia, boom, the 'contaminated' limbs disappear. Rebinding produces fresh clean ones. It is a fine line and mainly not supposed to make a lot of sense to a rational person, but most people with a phobia are less than rational when it comes to that phobia.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Do bound incarnums count as held weapons? Bound and held are kind of synonyms, right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well its not 'his' claws. Its the bound incarnum that's digging in. So he never actually comes in contact. Just unbind the essentia, boom, the 'contaminated' limbs disappear. Rebinding produces fresh clean ones. It is a fine line and mainly not supposed to make a lot of sense to a rational person, but most people with a phobia are less than rational when it comes to that phobia.
    Spatter? Eviscerating a foe is messy business. I've seen Kill Bill enough to know that that stuff sprays everywhere when you start hacking into people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I am pretty sure that natural weapons (bite,claws etc) get no iterative attacks from BAB and for that reason they also don't receive extra attacks from haste, I must have read something like that somewhere.

This thread probably helps too.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Pretty sure if you're using a natural attack as your 'primary' weapon (not as a secondary natural attack) it gets iteratives normally, and would benefit from haste if haste didn't have that specific 'weapon you are holding' line.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
    would benefit from haste if haste didn't have that specific 'weapon you are holding' line.
    Granted, that seems right now that I think about it but

Quote Originally Posted by Rejakor View Post
    Pretty sure if you're using a natural attack as your 'primary' weapon (not as a secondary natural attack) it gets iteratives normally
    nedz mentioned in that older thread that in MM and SRD natural attacks get no iteratives. Even though I can't access any of these two right now, no one seemed to object...

EDIT: just check rules compendium p.100 actually.
    Last edited by Eldebryn; 2012-10-09 at 03:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Spatter? Eviscerating a foe is messy business. I've seen Kill Bill enough to know that that stuff sprays everywhere when you start hacking into people.
    The concept's not perfect alright? When he can afford it, he will obtain a meticulously cleaned Decanter of Endless Water to house down after every fight. Or a At-Will Prestidigitation item.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The concept's not perfect alright? When he can afford it, he will obtain a meticulously cleaned Decanter of Endless Water to house down after every fight. Or a At-Will Prestidigitation item.
    Or wear a butcher's apron. That works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

"Holding" isn't well-defined in game (outside of certain bags and spells). If you view it more like "wielding," like I do, then Tvtyrant's interpretation is correct. If you take the strict view of holding as literally carrying an object, then natural attacks and unarmed strikes don't count for the purposes of Haste.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. What if he holds his own wrist and then uses the claw while he's holding his wrist? Is it held then?

Like so,

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    Okay. What if he holds his own wrist and then uses the claw while he's holding his wrist? Is it held then?

Like so,
    Well played. It's like hugging your friends to go faster. To nitpick, you'd have to hold the natural weapon specifically, not just the wrist. Aside from poorly worded spell descriptions devolving into silliness, this character doesn't want to touch the blood-soaked incarnum claws.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.