1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What CR adjustment should I have for this template?

Prismat Template

Creating A Prismat

"Prismat" is an acquired template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A prismat uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Special Attacks

Prismatic Body (Su)

A prismat glows with different colors which are subject to change each round. Roll a d8 and choose an effect from the prismatic spray table that corresponds (on an 8 you may choose which color is applied but not reroll). The first successful attack of the creature in a round applies the effect of the color it glows to the target it hits (for the purposes of this ability an attack is considered to be any form of attack that requires an attack roll) on the enemy dealt damage from the attack (a save is allowed as normal against the effect). Creatures within 30 feet of a prismat when it is damaged are subject to the effect of it's glow unless they succeed on a reflex save (this is in addition to the save they normally recieve for the effect and this ability cannot activate until at least 1 minute has passed since it last activated). Lastly, any creature of less than 4 HD that is within 30 feet of the creature is automatically blinded for 1d4 rounds. A prismat generates a constant daylight effect as though cast by a 20th level wizard. The save DC's for this ability are charisma based and a successful save negates the effect rather than having a reduced effect (10 + 1/2 HD + Cha).

Prismatic Breath (Su)

As a standard action a prismat may breathe a cone out to 60 feet that confers the effect from it's prismatic body ability (see above) on creatures caught within it (a reflex save is allowed in addition to the normal save to avoid being affected by this ability). Once a prismat uses this breath weapon, it can’t use it again until 1d8 rounds later. A prismat displays a circle of 7 different colors above it similar to a halo when it is capable of using it's prismatic breath (similar to a color wheel in appearance). The save DC's for this ability are charisma based and a successful save negates the effect rather than having a reduced effect (10 + 1/2 HD + Cha).

Special Qualities

Immunities (Ex)

A prismat is immune to acid, electricity, fire, poison, transmutation effects, teleportation effects, mind-affecting effects, and prismatic effects (such as prismatic wall). The creature may voluntarily lower or raise these immunities as a standard action.

Abilities

Increase from the base creature as follows: Cha +6.

Skills

A prismat takes a -10 penalty to hide checks. This penalty is doubled in areas of less than full illumination.

Challenge Rating

Same as the base creature + 8 (minimum 9).
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2012-10-08 at 01:21 AM.
    Character: Hex (HexOR)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woland View Post
    Honestly, some lawyer somewhere is probably having an orgasm and he doesn't know why."
    No μ!

Hi my name is ... and I'm an attention addict.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: What CR adjustment should I have for this template?

Ok, this has absolutely nothing to do with CR adjusment, but if I ever find one of these things and actually manage to beat it down, well... There's only one phrase I'm going to utter while I walk away from it.

"Taste the Rainbow"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well, two preliminary comments: first, bold/italic is your friend; second, the save language in Prismatic Breath needs clean-up, as it took a while for me to realize it gives you a Reflex negates in addition to Reflex half, Will negates, or Fort negates (I suggest looking at the shadow evocation/conjuration spells for inspiration on wording).

Now, to the CR. The immunities are probably worth several CR by themselves; Prismatic Body acts like a mid-level spell at will with action-economy advantages, and Prismatic Breath is also pretty ferocious. Add in +10 Cha and this is a fearsome glass*cannon maker; it's very dangerous but not very hard to knock down with the right tactics.

Somewhere between CR +8 and CR +12 is probably correct. I think. However, you might consider attempting some vague CR adjustment handwaves for base creatures that are unusually sturdy, or unusually frail (not merely in HP), as that's what will mostly govern the difficulty of an encounter as a whole.

*Pun not intended but gladly accepted.

Also, the correct one-liner is actually "Taste the painbow", I believe. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Well, two preliminary comments: first, bold/italic is your friend; second, the save language in Prismatic Breath needs clean-up, as it took a while for me to realize it gives you a Reflex negates in addition to Reflex half, Will negates, or Fort negates (I suggest looking at the shadow evocation/conjuration spells for inspiration on wording).

Now, to the CR. The immunities are probably worth several CR by themselves; Prismatic Body acts like a mid-level spell at will with action-economy advantages, and Prismatic Breath is also pretty ferocious. Add in +10 Cha and this is a fearsome glass*cannon maker; it's very dangerous but not very hard to knock down with the right tactics.

Somewhere between CR +8 and CR +12 is probably correct. I think. However, you might consider attempting some vague CR adjustment handwaves for base creatures that are unusually sturdy, or unusually frail (not merely in HP), as that's what will mostly govern the difficulty of an encounter as a whole.

*Pun not intended but gladly accepted.

Also, the correct one-liner is actually "Taste the painbow", I believe. :P
    I was thinking CR +10 but I think +8 and changing the free action breath weapon to standard could work. Also, changing CHA to +6, prismatic 30 foot effect on damage received to once per minute, one attack per round that successfully hits deals a prismatic effect rather than all of them, and saves vs damage and poison to negates instead of halves and partial. Will reword as necessary.

Thanks for the advice.
    Character: Hex (HexOR)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woland View Post
    Honestly, some lawyer somewhere is probably having an orgasm and he doesn't know why."
    No μ!

Hi my name is ... and I'm an attention addict.