Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Jove Rising [Eclipse Phase] IC

OOC Thread

warning, screen stretching image
    Spoiler
    Show

There have been rumors of war for months. The Jovian Republic has been in a state unrest for nearly 5 months since the assassination of several key political figures. Several experts argued that this would be the end of the Republic, that it would collapse under its own entropy. This proved not to be the case.

7 days ago at 2:30 (Solar Standard Time) the Jovian Republic declared war on Europa, 3 hours after the Europans first reported Jovians landing on Europa's surface.

The situation looks grim, many are saying it is the beginning of the first true Space War. The attack on Europa drew the ire of Locus and the Autonomist community in the Trojans, as well as the Titanian Commonwealth.

This conflict has drawn the attention of Firewall, they have deemed it necessary to step in and attempt to contain the conflict. To accomplish this they have chosen you. Are you one team of many, or a last ditch attempt to prevent the apocalypse? You sincerely hope it is the latter.

You stand in an open, greenery filled space in Locus's Azimuth spine waiting for the person who has brought to here to appear and enlighten you on the details of your mission. Around you stand the other members of your team, they vary in shape and size but seem no different from crowds you have seen at parties or on the street. You feel that introductions are in order.
    Last edited by Hawkfrost000; 2012-10-08 at 01:11 AM.
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Jove Rising [Eclipse Phase] IC

Belisarius

The Neo-Avian fidgets a bit as he stand with the others. He knows these are the ones he was supposed to meet. Well, the Mesh-Ids match, at least. But ever since they all arrived at Azimuth, barely a word has been spoken. And frankly, it's getting on Eli's nerves. After a few more moments, the little bird just can't take it anymore.

"So, here we all are! It seems we're all working together, so we might as well get to know each other a bit. I'm Belisarius Filitov, but since "Eli" takes about a quarter of the time to say, I go by that." Smiling with a beak isn't possible, but Eli is somehow managing to give off that impression. He still is as he looks around at the Spar a bit. "I don't suppose any of you know who, exactly, it is we're waiting for?"
    Awesome Morrigi Avatar by Akrim.elf. A thousand thanks.

TW Factions

Spoiler
    Show

None

PBP Characters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ripley

A mistlike form of light hovers a few inches over the floor, It's clear that it's just an AR illusion to represent an ego, but nevertheless, it is kinda weird.

As the form speaks, it lightly pulsates and get's a little brighter at every word uttered.
    ''Greetings Eli and the rest of you. You may all call me Ripley.''
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Jazz runs a hand through her short black hair and glances around again for the Firewall informant. They had been waiting far too long already. One would think that stopping a war would be more urgent. She assesses the others with her eyes. Her temporary allies. They looked acceptable, even if there were rather too many of them. "Jazz," she says by way of introduction. "And I do not know." Firewall wasn't in the habit of giving out more information than it had to.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-10-08 at 12:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Despite the almost garish red and black longcoat and matching hair colour, Fion's new morph somehow manages to blend well into the seething mass of transhumanity that is Locus. Visibly, he only carries a medium-sized shoulder bag. Standing with the group Firewall had assigned him, he can't help fidgeting; while it could easily have been nerves, a practiced eye could notice the signs of new morph acclimatization. He wore large, gold-framed sunglasses; still uncomfortable with his new eyes, he didn't want to meet others'. The new jaw worked on a piece of genuine imitation bubble gum, with barely-audible sound effects. Two ladies and a bird. Could have picked a worse time to be sleeved into a female. Still should have broken that splice-tech's fingers.

"I'm Fion. Good to know we'll be covered in cases of religiously-motivated criminals, alien stalkers and forming hacker havens."

A tawny streak flashes by him and he reaches to grab but he's just barely too slow, and the 'cat speeds by towards Eli with hors d'oeuvres on its mind.
    Last edited by kardar233; 2012-10-11 at 06:05 PM.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

6. - Top - End - #6

Eli

"Oh dear. There appears to be a cat attacking my leg." Eli's bioweave has kept the cat from causing any real damage, but it seems to be doing it's best despite that. "I don't suppose this belongs to anyone, does it?"

TW Factions

Spoiler
    Show

None

PBP Characters

7. - Top - End - #7

"Oi! Get off the nice bird!"

The cat paused in its attentions long enough to hiss at Fion, quieted down and moseyed over in front of Jazz to do a very good job of looking forlorn. Now that it's not speeding along, it's visibly just a touch larger than a housecat, with a quintessential tabby coat with a slight twist of green.

"Sorry about him; he's a real pain in the ass." The cat paused in its "poor stray" act to shoot Fion a withering look.

"As to your question, I'd say they're probably leaving us together here so we can develop group dynamics, namely triangles of unresolved sexual tension, strawman ideological differences and alpha conflicts." He looked puzzled for a second. "Or was that the heist XP I was watching?"
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Jazz raises her eyebrows at the Fury-sleeved woman, though she holds back on a withering glare. This already seemed to be going rather less than spectacularly. "Regardless of what we are here for, I would like to know where your skills lie." She pauses, then decides to speak first. "I am a pilot primarily, with navigational and engineering experience as well." She was also an accomplished free-runner and passable combatant with this morph, but giving out too many details in public seemed like a bad idea.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-10-12 at 12:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Eli

Eli takes a moment to smooth some ruffled feathers before rejoining the coversation. "Well, I have doctorates in Archeology, Xenoarcheology, and Xenolinguistics. Though I doubt they'll be of much help here. Unless the Jovians have alien artifacts or something. Doubtful. I was actually a Gatecrasher, very briefly. Once. The group I went with gave me some para-military training. I never actually had to USE it, but..." He trails off, and begins fidgeting a little bit. "There are a couple of other things, of course, but those are the main things."

TW Factions

Spoiler
    Show

None

PBP Characters

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

''Well, my area of expertise would be in the cyberprotection kind. I can also calculate vast numbers at a decent speed and pilot a spacecraft if i am linked to it.'' She responds to the quest with a pleasant glow and a matter of fact tone of voice.

Spoiler
    Show

By having 2 extra actions, would it be alright if my character runs security checks in the background, while doing normal stuff?
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

A shimmer cascades through the air before coalescing into a man shaped image with the characteristic not-quite-real look of AR projections.

Welcome to Locus, thank you for coming on such short notice. As you have no doubt heard, the local situation is rapidly deteriorating.

You may be wondering what interest firewall has in the war that is unfolding, until now we have concerned ourselves with things beyond the interest or understanding of the rest of Transhumanity, but a group of us have decided that the... situation represents a grave threat to the continued stability of the solar system.

To that end we have assembled several teams, of which you are one to limit the damage that this war will be able to inflict.

He pauses as if waiting for questions.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

One bird with a large assortment of rather useless training, one AR ego - at least they wouldn't have to worry about hackers, small mercies, and one fury, presumably combat-focused, who did not seem to be residing entirely in reality. And Firewall was being typically close-lipped. This was going to be great, she could just feel it. Jazz folds her arms. The vacsuit's sleeves grate against each other. "Limit damage how, exactly?"

13. - Top - End - #13

The image gestures and a new column of light takes form in front of you.

As you may be aware, the Jovian Republic has the strongest navy in the solar system. Over the last few months there has been some very unusual activity on the edges of the Jovian system. Now, normally Jovian shipbuilding activity is concentrated in the inner system, usually around Io. The Image resolves into a picture of Io, with heavy shipyards in orbit and at Lagrange points. Then zooms out to a small asteroid, the image is noticeably blurrier, it shifts into what is probably infra-red. You can see this asteroid is extremely hot, these heat patterns are consistent with large scale nanofabrication. If we look at this image in radar, we can see that there are two definite shapes, which are consistent with the hull outlines of Jovian Dreadnoughts, but larger.

14. - Top - End - #14

"So you want us to go in and cripple those new ships. What's our in?"

Damn Firewall. I'm charging them double what they offered me for this.

"You want us to kill dreadnoughts. Have any antimatter charges lying around?"
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Dreadnaughts, nanotech, explosions. Sounded easy, for a Firewall run. Even though they were a new design, with that profile there should at least be some similarities that could be exploited. Though she would admit that some antimatter charges could help, there were other ways to cripple ships. Jazz nods. "Right, breakdown it is. Seems straightforward enough. You got a ship reserved? These sleeves are not going to go over well with Jovians." She traces a line across too-perfect cheekbones, emphasizing the slight differences separating the olympians from run-of-the-mill splicers.

Spoiler
    Show

Zero G Engineering - (1d100)[70] vs 55. Given that the ships are being mostly nanofabricated, which parts will be finished last?
    Spaceship Design - (1d100)[21] vs 50. Weak points of a Jovian Dreadnaught.
    Demolitions - (1d100)[52] vs 50. How much boom do we need to punch a hole in a dreadnaught's hull?

16. - Top - End - #16

The image shakes its head No antimatter charges. We have decided that it is best that the ships be destroyed through an "unfortunate accident" of the Jovians new-found nanofabbers than an out and out attack by enemy forces. A more frontal attack would only throw fuel on a fire we are trying to contain. That's why we selected you as sentinels, rather than a fully equipped erasure squad. The image changes again, this time to a time lapse video of the construction of these ships, a time-stamp in the lower left corner indicates that construction has been ongoing for about 15 days. Construction on these ships is proceeding worryingly fast. It exceeds even the capabilities of most Firewall fabbers. We estimate that these ships are about 75% complete, with a mostly complete superstructure and engines, we estimate that the Jovians will begin fueling and arming them within the next 20 days. The image pauses for effect Fueled with antimatter. Your objective is to detonate the fuel tanks or warheads of either ship, the resulting explosion should easily destroy the entire moonlet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zero G Engineering: You remember only a rule of thumb that parts of the ship are built in order of decreasing size and increasing complexity.
    Spaceship Design: You aren't privy to most military ship designs, especially those of the Jovians, their biggest combat disadvantage is their bulk, a greater cross section and surface area means they are much more likely to be hit than a smaller ship. Smaller ships are generally considered to be more viable as a solid hit with an antimatter warhead will destroy any class of ship, but you can have 2 cruisers or 3 destroyers for the price of one dreadnought.
    Demolitions: Kiloton yield explosives

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    The image shakes its head No antimatter charges. We have decided that it is best that the ships be destroyed through an "unfortunate accident" of the Jovians new-found nanofabbers than an out and out attack by enemy forces. A more frontal attack would only throw fuel on a fire we are trying to contain. That's why we selected you as sentinels, rather than a fully equipped erasure squad. The image changes again, this time to a time lapse video of the construction of these ships, a time-stamp in the lower left corner indicates that construction has been ongoing for about 15 days. Construction on these ships is proceeding worryingly fast. It exceeds even the capabilities of most Firewall fabbers. We estimate that these ships are about 75% complete, with a mostly complete superstructure and engines, we estimate that the Jovians will begin fueling and arming them within the next 20 days. The image pauses for effect Fueled with antimatter. Your objective is to detonate the fuel tanks or warheads of either ship, the resulting explosion should easily destroy the entire moonlet.
    "Fair enough. An "accident" then."

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    Dreadnaughts, nanotech, explosions. Sounded easy, for a Firewall run. Even though they were a new design, with that profile there should at least be some similarities that could be exploited. Though she would admit that some antimatter charges could help, there were other ways to cripple ships. Jazz nods. "Right, breakdown it is. Seems straightforward enough. You got a ship reserved? These sleeves are not going to go over well with Jovians." She traces a line across too-perfect cheekbones, emphasizing the slight differences separating the olympians from run-of-the-mill splicers.
    "Most Jovians have never seen anything other than a flat or splicer, so unless they get a deep-scan that finds augs we should be able to pass for one of them. The main trouble will be getting in. We might be able to stealth a ship and sling it ballistic-wise past the target, eject and 'swim' in with vac-suits. Depends on how good their scans are, though; it might be tough getting past them."

Fion turned back to the holograph projection. "What level of deniability are you aiming for on this? 'Cause I can fair guarantee you that something's going to go terribly wrong sometime on this trip. The 'accident' cover is unlikely to hold. We won't be able to cover as a Jovian anarchist cell; they wouldn't have the info for an op like this. We might be able to pass ourselves off as an autonomist collective seriously pissed about Europa, but then that's likely to drag the other main collectives like Locus into a shooting war..... unless that's what you want."
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that answered the question of explosives, though the unfortunate nanofabrication accident was somewhat out of her expertise. Unfortunate fuel tank accident indeed. The Jovians would be set back quite severely. The parts easiest to damage would be made last, of course... better to jam them before it got that far but those were the parts easiest to 'lose' and buy some precious hours. Fiddling with the engines seemed like a good place to start. Tweak and tinker and watch them go out as soon as they try to go places. But it didn't add up. More bulk was the last thing a Dreadnaught needed. What sort of unholy warheads were they packing on that thing? A planet muncher? There had to be some reason for all that extra space... probably nothing good, given circumstances. And that seemed to be a no on the ship. Dammit. "Understood, Firewall" is all she says out loud. All she dares say. She turns to Fury - Fion. Names were important. "Sling and swim should be ok, though we'll need to find somewhere to park the ship in the meantime."
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2012-10-13 at 02:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The image shrugs A shooting war between the Trojans and the Republic is almost inevitable. It would be preferable that you not link yourselves to Firewall, an anarchist collective would be ideal cover. Our objective is to blunt the military power of the current Superpowers, we have... countermeasures in place to prevent a prolonged war.

You can make any necessary backups and insurance arrangements at this location. The image continues, highlighting a well known morph brokerage halfway out on one of the equatorial spines. I have also made arrangements with Boister's Armory for you to pick up additional materials, he will also provide you with a small ship. It is preferable that you return it intact.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

'Hmm... A wellworking tactic could be a viral attack on the nanofabbers or cause some engines to overload via some fiddling with the safeties and emergency systems to cause said overload...'' It seemed that Ripley was thinking out loud... again.

OOC Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

Academics (Nanotechnology) to find out any structual weaknesses in nanofabricators.
    (1d100)[93] vs 65

InfoSec - Possibility of hacking into a dreadnought and cause an engine to overload.
    (1d100)[53] vs 100.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

It needn't even be as complicated as that, all you need is for any of the antimatter containment vessels to cease working for a fraction of a second. Firewall has several logic bombs of this type available, though you will need to tailor it to your specific target.

Spoiler
    Show
    Academics (Nanotechnology): Nanoswarms are difficult to destroy. Once they have been set on a purpose they complete it until every one is destroyed. Destroying the hive that produced them sometimes stops them however.
    InfoSec: Its entirely possible, especially with a Firewall provided logic bomb. With Jovian security it could even be easy.

22. - Top - End - #22

It needn't even be as complicated as that, all you need is for any of the antimatter containment vessels to cease working for a fraction of a second. Firewall has several logic bombs of this type available, though you will need to tailor it to your specific target.
    "Once we've done that, we just need to deliver the package to the target. I'm not sure if the Jovians will let pets on-station; it might be tough to get Eli in. We should be able to get Jovian IDs from Boister or one of his associates. We'll need an extraction method; we could try getting the ship to swing back around for a second swimming pass, but that's sketchy and time-dependent. Need a better way."
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

''Indeed.... Well then, would you be able to provide me with such a piece? Creating one from ground up, does take quite a while after all.''
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

I can have a logic bomb frame at Boister's in about an hour, speed of light and all that. One of his assistants also maintains a suit of cyberwarfare tools that you should peruse, be aware that he is not "in the know" about Firewall activities through the armory.

I would advise that the next point on your trip be Callisto, it is likely to become a staging point for the Locus fleet, we have some resources there that will prove valuable.

25. - Top - End - #25

"We can hash out details on the way. Let's get armed to the," he pauses for a second to scan Jazz through infrared and x-ray, "(figurative in your case) gills."
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*

26. - Top - End - #26

Very well, I would appreciate it if you kept me updated but it is not a requirement. You can contact me at this Mesh Address, it is fully secured.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

''Well then everyone, shall we? Oh and Fion please take good care of me, if you promise that, then i promise the same.'' The misty form pulsates to the others.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"What the ****? Oh, infomorph. Wait, but how... no. Ah. " He turns to the Firewall representative. "You people are annoyingly well-informed.

He crosses his arms in a somewhat adversarial pose. "Still, it's my ****ing body. You a desleeved cracker, or one of those AGI brainjobs?"
    Last edited by kardar233; 2012-10-21 at 03:04 AM.
    *strokes chin*
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"Can we discuss this on the way to Boister's? I would like to examine the ship provided before we leave," Jazz says. This conversation had gone on quite long enough, and it was high time for action.

30. - Top - End - #30

Eli

Eli is only half pays attention to the conversation, occasionally tuning in whenever his Oracle thinks something really important has been said. Not like he really has all that much to contribute, most of the conversation so far had been over his head anyway. So instead, he busys himself searching the Mesh, trying to find out what he can about the shipyards at Io and the asteroid in question. Lia, could you help me look through this stuff?

Spoiler
    Show

Research: Trying to see what information is out there about the Jovian shipyards in general, and any mention of that asteroid in particular.
    (1d100)[32] vs 60 (and I believe it's +10 on top of that if my muse Lia helps me out.)

Not sure how we're going to handle muses, are they going to be used by us, by you, or a combination of both?

A few moments later, Eli realizes that the briefing seems to have ended. He goes ahead and pipes in, "I agree, it's probably best we start heading to...Boister's."

TW Factions

Spoiler
    Show

None

PBP Characters