New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Burning Wheel Gold AP

Hello everyone and welcome to the Actual Play thread!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Burning Wheel Gold AP

I'm here! And totally ready to figure things out!

3. - Top - End - #3

So here's some questions that may help us define our world and situation. These are all blatantly stolen from the Adventure Burner.

What's the conflict? What are the characters involved in? What are the sides? What problem do they face?

• Who opposes the goals of the characters? Who are these antagonists? What is the relationship between the antagonists and the characters?
    • What are the antagonists' goals? Why are the characters in their way?

Imagine a scene in which all of the characters are standing in a room with the antagonists or their minions.What do the antagonists want from that meeting? What do the characters want? Parley, redress slaughter?

Alternately, imagine the characters standing at the scene of some great disaster or calamity clearly caused by one of the antagonists.What's the disaster? How did it happen? What are the characters going to do about it right now?

And lastly, what's the raison d' etere? (Lukes' words) Why are the characters together as an inseperable group? What is the glue that binds them? Are they family, neighbors, friends, or fellow employees?

I'm hoping this will get you guys thinking and at least give you something to do over your morning coffee or tea.

4. - Top - End - #4

Well, if we're going with the idea that the true king is one of us, and the one on the throne is a fraud...

We could have it that the conflict is a subverted 'Prince and the Pauper' story, where some of the people in court did not like the way the king had acted, and replaced him with a look-a-like from the streets that they now control. The king, now with nothing to his name, is trying to gather up enough followers to challenge the new king and take his rightful place back on the throne. Or something similar.

Basically, we should draw lots / ask who wants to be the king first, then we can work out antagonists from there on.

5. - Top - End - #5

I think I'm going to keep our game in one single thread instead of doing an IC and OOC thread. I'm hoping it will give it a real table "feel". To keep it from being too confusing, how about keeping all OOC talk under spoiler like so...

Spoiler
    Show
    See how I hid my OOC discussion there? On the other hand, let's put in game descriptive text under italics.

The room stank and was covered with blood, filth, and gore, but still, the barbarian was able to eat his sandwich.

For actual spoken words, I was thinking of just using punctuation marks and switching the text color to blue.

"Does all this seem like it would keep things understandable?"

Obviously, this isn't necessary until we actually start playing.
    Last edited by fogrob; 2012-10-08 at 07:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Can I make a request?

Is it possible to use an actual medium for OOC and conversations such as Edupad or something?

With Play by post games, having something we can all check on a daily basis makes games go a little faster in my opinion.

We can even use Skype if we must, just so we are all talking between posts.
    Last edited by Drugged dwarf; 2012-10-08 at 09:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Drugged dwarf View Post

Basically, we should draw lots / ask who wants to be the king first, then we can work out antagonists from there on.
    So there it is. Who wants to be The One True King?

8. - Top - End - #8

...I'm alright with NOT being the one true King..

9. - Top - End - #9

Can I make a request?

Is it possible to use an actual medium for OOC and conversations such as Edupad or something?

With Play by post games, having something we can all check on a daily basis makes games go a little faster in my opinion.

We can even use Skype if we must, just so we are all talking between posts.
    I thought about that as well, but was concerned about people (including myself) getting lost regarding where we were in regards to in game and in game questions. I'm worried about getting too spread out.

If you were talking about non-crucial/time sensitive discussions then I can see where the forums wouldn't be necessary. I'm also confused, why couldn't we check the forums just as easily as eduPad?

10. - Top - End - #10

Because It includes a chat feature on the right that lets you see other people that are looking at it so you could have longer discussions, and a whiteboard on the left for keeping track of all the data from the game, both of which work so you don't have to keep backtracking to look at other people's character sheets, and have a place for player notes.

But it's an option, not a necessity. I just like keeping in communication with Pbpers in general.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really like edupad, because people might forget to check it :/

If we're racking up a story, here's my suggestion:

Spoiler
    Show
    The king had two sons. The elder is a smart lad, but doesn't feel that he has the leadership qualities; he likes to spend his time on his own hobbies, rather than leading the kingdom, a stressful job that he was sure he would screw up. The younger is very ambitious, and always dreamt of being king, and all the glory and fame that came with it. When the old king died, the elder prince, by right of age, was forced to take the throne, and soon after, he felt stuffled, unable to take the lack of freedom, and when his younger brother came to him with a suggestion that could allow him to live freely, he readily took it.

Using an elaborate ruse, supposedly 'poisoned' wine, and a bribed coroner, the elder son faked his death, and escaped to live the life he wanted to live. The younger brother took the mantle of king due to being next in line.

And so, both lived happily for the next few months.

However, a change came over the younger brother. He seemed more haggard, more tired, and was rumored to even hallucinate at times, to the point of talking to some imaginary figure, or flinching at the sight of mere shadows and the like.

And while he seems more and more listless as well as being unable to sleep properly at night, he declared that he is distraught by the death of his brother, and that the months of denial finally caught up with him. He swore that he would find his brother's killer, and bring him to justice. Soon after, the coroner that was bribed was murdered, and everyone who knew about the truth of the elder son are being killed mysteriously.

12. - Top - End - #12

Apparently I should go into stress testing. I just killed eduPad in less than 15 minutes!

I was attempting to import a PDF character sheet. It didn't seem to like that very much. I'm guessing it doesn't really store information or files beyond the text that's on the whiteboard and chat space?

13. - Top - End - #13

I think so. That was rather epic BTW.

14. - Top - End - #14

Yeah, I tried to go back on a few times, but I ended up having to kill the page. So if it can't really hold files...Should we just use some sort of IM and Obsidian Portal?

BTW, I'll be going to work soon, but I'll be sure to try and come up with some story details as well.

I'm also available at Google+ if you'd like to contact me through there.

15. - Top - End - #15

Yeah. Oh well! I'm down for something else as well.. as long as we can keep communication steady.

16. - Top - End - #16

Ok here's my idea for the story...

Spoiler
    Show
    My idea is that this all takes place years ago when the PC was just a boy. The PC'S uncle long coveted the throne, but knew it was beyond him with the PC being around. The uncle sets it up so it looks like the king was murdered by his son, when in fact the uncle did it. PC runs away to escape persecution (where he has the life and friends he has now) and the uncle takes over the throne.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

If I come up with anything, I'll post my own idea for a story, but I just wanted to chime in and say, that if nobody else wants too, I'm okay with being the king.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I'm new to the system I'd rather not be the King.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, I'd like to note that I'm new too. Who here besides us two has never played the system before?

20. - Top - End - #20

Hello!

That would be us three then!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

...I've never played the system before either.

22. - Top - End - #22

In that case, I'd also like to nominate for the part of the true king!

23. - Top - End - #23

Would you believe that beyond a earlier failed attempt at PbP, I also have no actual Burning Wheel experience. Looks like we're five for five!

I think this will be a great way for us to learn. With everyone being new, no one has to worry about having questions or making "newbie mistakes". We'll take it slow and just learn as we go.

It makes Drugged Dwarfs advice about having a way to keep in contact even more prudent. Does anyone have an option they'd like to use?

As for King, it appears the takers are Drugged Dwarf & Loki_42. Let's settle it with a VS test!

Let's say you both have an average human Will of 4. I'll leave it to both of you to come up with one wise you, the player, has that is applicable to the roll.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise... ROLL THE DICE!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to be the musician/bard/skald sidekick. Go me!

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    I want to be the musician/bard/skald sidekick. Go me!
    Be sure to keep that in mind while we're doing our world burning. There may be some things that a musician has to have in his world.

Also, I checked once, but I think it got lost in the flurry of posts...Does everyone have a copy of BWG?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by fogrob View Post

Let's say you both have an average human Will of 4. I'll leave it to both of you to come up with one wise you, the player, has that is applicable to the roll.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise... ROLL THE DICE!

I think you will find that I have theactualburningwheelbook-wise, which clearly counts for 2 dice on my FoRK....

27. - Top - End - #27

I think you will find that I have theactualburningwheelbook-wise, which clearly counts for 2 dice on my FoRK....
    Only if you have two books and the Ambidextrous trait found on page 312...

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by fogrob View Post
    Only if you have two books and the Ambidextrous trait found on page 312...
    *looks it up*

Damn... you're good.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there anything a musician needs? The first thing I see about musicians is that

Quote Originally Posted by Page 34 of BWG
    Musical

Musical compositions take weeks and months to perfect. Musical performace takes as long as it takes.
    On that note, I might be composing real music for this; this depends on what instruments are actually available. And to be honest, I don't need months. Weeks maybe....but definitely nothing more than one month. Not that my compositions are masterpieces or anything like that...
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-10-09 at 07:43 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Is there anything a musician needs?

I would take a look at Composer and Performer in the City Dweller setting and also Minstrel in the Noble Court setting. Extra successes in creating music could be used to reduce the time (pg. 29), but I would guess that would just be a "Say Yes" situation (pg. 72). That is of course, unless you get into some sort of freestyle sing off with the fate of the kingdom resting on your ability to bust out a rhyme.

Just don't get too far ahead in your character creation yet...We still have a world to build.

Wait...Did you mean you, the player, has plans to compose real music regarding our campaign?!
    Last edited by fogrob; 2012-10-09 at 08:06 AM. Reason: For unrealized awesomeness