New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    It's because we as a species attach sentimentality to the bodies of our dead and using them for other purposes seems like desecration.
    not only that, human poo isn't that great a fertilizer at all since our intestines have evolved into a rather efficiënt system, draining minerals rather well.

@creating meat: (Devil's advocate incoming!)

As I read it, it seems that chicken and other birds (who eat what we too could eat) are the problem. Cows get fed on grass and ground up cows, pigs get fed on the stuff we humans leave on our plates or throw away when cooking, but chicken gets fed on corn, grain etc. The cows are just a catalyst to allow us to eat grass. Btw, did you know that an acre of grass is better at turning carbondioxide into oxygen then an acre of forest? The only thing better at that are algae (but they don't grow on land). So by making all grassland and eating meat we get our food (meat), and as a bonus we get extra oxygen

then there is game: by shrinking areas to live in because we need more and more grass (or just copius procreation of the animals), game needs to be managed. So if someone is going to shoot some (delicious) game to keep the balance, why not eat it (and process it)?
    Last edited by Socratov; 2012-10-17 at 08:58 AM.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    not only that, human poo isn't that great a fertilizer at all since our intestines have evolved into a rather efficiënt system, draining minerals rather well.

As I read it, it seems that chicken and other birds (who eat what we too could eat) are the problem. Cows get fed on grass and ground up cows, pigs get fed on the stuff we humans leave on our plates or throw away when cooking, but chicken gets fed on corn, grain etc. The cows are just a catalyst to allow us to eat grass. Btw, did you know that an acre of grass is better at turning carbondioxide into oxygen then an acre of forest? The only thing better at that are algae (but they don't grow on land). So by making all grassland and eating meat we get our food (meat), and as a bonus we get extra oxygen

then there is game: by shrinking areas to live in because we need more and more grass (or just copius procreation of the animals), game needs to be managed. So if someone is going to shoot some (delicious) game to keep the balance, why not eat it (and process it)?
    I thought cows weren't fed grass. Maybe local farms, but don't the major produces use wheat or corn?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

3. - Top - End - #363
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    I thought cows weren't fed grass. Maybe local farms, but don't the major produces use wheat or corn?
    See my earlier post on that.
    Also, for reference, corn fed beef and chicken is considered lower quality. It is unhealthy for chickens to eat corn for the majority of their diet. It is even worse for cows. Grain isn't the worst for them, but it isn't optimal either. Oats and barley aren't bad for cows, soya beans have been a major ingredient in industrial livestock feeds for quite some time and it has been suggested that soya beans in feed is responsible for some other problems.
    That said, a cow's digestive tract is designed to process grasses. That is why they have 4 stomachs and a longer intestinal tract.

Yes, pigs eat refuse, that doesn't mean they should do so all the time. Luckily they are pretty hardy omnivores.
    Major producers do use corn and wheat and some other grains, but largely speaking should not. It's been linked to digestive issues in cattle (it basically turns to glue in their intestine and can cause major blockages), chickens don't digest corn very well at all and don't get much nutrient from it. Ask anyone in the bird pet trade (preferably someone who knows the difference between a raised and wild-caught animal), corn is not at all proper for most bird species yet it ends up in commonly available feed.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Not here, our beef is usually grass fed.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Not here, our beef is usually grass fed.
    Lies. Everyone knows there's no grass in Australia.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Lies. Everyone knows there's no grass in Australia.
    There is but it's all poisonous.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #367

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    There is but it's all poisonous.
    Your livestock must be really tough then. Fortitude saves that high to constantly make the save? Dang.

"Australia. The land where everything is poisonous. Even the grass!"
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-10-18 at 03:06 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Most of the meat in the United States is fed on corn increasing the demand for corn.

Really, I'm still not sure how we're debating this. Even a cursory glance over the analysis shows that eating less meat is good for the environment.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Most of the meat in the United States is fed on corn increasing the demand for corn.

Really, I'm still not sure how we're debating this. Even a cursory glance over the analysis shows that eating less meat is good for the environment.
    It is, however, less good for us, because meat is tastier than grass. Hell, we make fake grass because normal grass is too disgusting and time consuming for us to fathom. Also, eating meat supports our children from devolving into grassmunching algeafeeders.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    You're livestock must be really tough then.
    Did you just say that Asta Kask is live stock?

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    It is, however, less good for us, because meat is tastier than grass. Hell, we make fake grass because normal grass is too disgusting and time consuming for us to fathom. Also, eating meat supports our children from devolving into grassmunching algeafeeders.
    See now that's the respectable kind of argument I can get behind!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Did you just say that Asta Kask is live stock?
    The big question is which tastes best - Asta Bacon, Asta Steak or Astaburgers? Answers on a postcard please.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Ehm, maybe it's where I live, but in the Netherlands most cows are fed with grass, hay and if thsoe are ngo available on cattlefood. Sure steaks are expensive that way, but oh so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    See my earlier post on that.
    Also, for reference, corn fed beef and chicken is considered lower quality. It is unhealthy for chickens to eat corn for the majority of their diet. It is even worse for cows. Grain isn't the worst for them, but it isn't optimal either. Oats and barley aren't bad for cows, soya beans have been a major ingredient in industrial livestock feeds for quite some time and it has been suggested that soya beans in feed is responsible for some other problems.
    That said, a cow's digestive tract is designed to process grasses. That is why they have 4 stomachs and a longer intestinal tract.

Yes, pigs eat refuse, that doesn't mean they should do so all the time. Luckily they are pretty hardy omnivores.
    Major producers do use corn and wheat and some other grains, but largely speaking should not. It's been linked to digestive issues in cattle (it basically turns to glue in their intestine and can cause major blockages), chickens don't digest corn very well at all and don't get much nutrient from it. Ask anyone in the bird pet trade (preferably someone who knows the difference between a raised and wild-caught animal), corn is not at all proper for most bird species yet it ends up in commonly available feed.
    But why is corn used then? I can hardly imagine a reason to specifically grom more corn so you can ruin your animals with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post

See now that's the respectable kind of argument I can get behind!
    ...or sink my teeth into
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    The big question is which tastes best - Asta Bacon, Asta Steak or Astaburgers? Answers on a postcard please.
    Hmm... I was going to say something about how you're all being mean to someone who got confusing English words mixed up.

But I'm going to say Asta Bacon if it's before two in the afternoon. Otherwise, Asta Steak...
    After all, a burger can be made with bacon or steak.

However, we will not cannibalise Asta because that is mean.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-10-18 at 05:31 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Ehm, maybe it's where I live, but in the Netherlands most cows are fed with grass, hay and if thsoe are ngo available on cattlefood. Sure steaks are expensive that way, but oh so good.

But why is corn used then? I can hardly imagine a reason to specifically grom more corn so you can ruin your animals with it.

...or sink my teeth into
    Short answer is to feed the corn industry. Long answer is political.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

depends on Asta's body type (haven't looked in the picture thread): If he's build muscular the steak would be best, if wiry the burger and if fat the bacon

(this message is by no means to call names, just referring to the fact that a muscular beast yields the best steak, a fat beast the best bacon and a wiry beast is commony used to only make mincemeat of, which is commonly used for burgers)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    However, we will not cannibalise Asta because that is mean.
    I despair of this place sometimes. Nobody ever lets me cannibalise anyone.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I despair of this place sometimes. Nobody ever lets me cannibalise anyone.
    That's because eating them raw would be unsanitary/unhealthy, and cooking them would require a flame, which is against The Rules.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-18 at 07:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That's because eating them raw would be unsanitary/unhealthy, and cooking them would require a flame, which is against The Rules.
    What if I boiled them in a volcanic lake, or would that be passive flaming?

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

depends on Asta's body type (haven't looked in the picture thread): If he's build muscular the steak would be best, if wiry the burger and if fat the bacon
    Bacon. Lots of bacon.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Astakask is never ever going to leave his house anymore
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Bacon. Lots of bacon.
    Nonsense! I'm sure you would make a very good steak. I'm just not going to test that hypothesis according to the advice of my panel of legal experts.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

To steer vaguely topicwards again - have there been any examples of people eating Pokemon? Would PETA be more angry about that or people keeping them as pets?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

My guess is that they see it as the same as how we would view a game where you captured and 'cured' LGBTA people. Yeah, it's just a game but that's a bit beyond my comfort zone. Quite a far bit, actually.

― Tim Fargo

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes but the one thing is something real, while the other is complete fiction.
    Really I mean there are soooooo many REAL problems in the world, why the hell would you want to solve fictional "problems" as well?

How about issuing statements about BP still using oil dissolvents (in secret) that kill billions of animals in the gulf of Mexico instead of issuing sensationalist statements about the cruelty to fictional characters?!

Sometimes I really doubt the sanity of humanity as a whole...

26. - Top - End - #386

What if I boiled them in a volcanic lake, or would that be passive flaming?
    Volcanoes are pretty extreme, so that might qualify as Extreme Flaming, the same as if you roasted them over molten lava.

To steer vaguely topicwards again - have there been any examples of people eating Pokemon? Would PETA be more angry about that or people keeping them as pets?
    It's been canon since Generation 1; Farfetch'd is described as being delicious with leeks. (Though why it carries a leek around in beyond me, that's like a cow having a gallon barrel of steak sauce strapped to its back).
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-18 at 09:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

It's been canon since Generation 1; Farfetch'd is described as being delicious with leeks. (Though why it carries a leek around in beyond me, that's like a cow having a gallon barrel of steak sauce strapped to its back).
    I just had a mental image of a Farfetch'd going berserk and beating its owner to death with a leek.

28. - Top - End - #388

I just had a mental image of a Farfetch'd going berserk and beating its owner to death with a leek.
    Quite possible, they also use them as weapons it seems.

29. - Top - End - #389

Quite possible, they also use them as weapons it seems.
    They don't just use them as weapons - they use them as swords, and they hack down trees with them.

As far as I'm concerned, Farfetch'd is actually a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

I guess it's a cultural thing
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!