New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

People have eaten Pokemon. There's a whole ritual with the bones once you're done so you can honor them properly.

Though, as the majority of Pokemon have been shown to understand English, I'd probably go vegetarian myself because I'd see it as halfway to cannibalism. There are berry trees all around, and at worst, I'm asking a Tropius or something for some fruit, and it can choose whether or not to give them to me.

No, wait... fruit are basically Plant eggs, aren't they?

And while I'm at it, I wonder if people eat Cherrims? That would be terrifying, actually.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2012-10-18 at 10:15 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quite possible, they also use them as weapons it seems.
    That's why they're delicious with leeks. They're always close at hand and whoever kills a farfetch'd to eat it appreciates the poetic justice of simmering the buggers with their own weapons that they presumably bruised them up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    They don't just use them as weapons - they use them as swords, and they hack down trees with them.

As far as I'm concerned, Farfetch'd is actually a god.
    Obviously, their leek swordsmanship is a survival mechanism - once upon a time, a Farfetch'd decided it didn't want to get eaten with leek, so it grabbed the leek and beat the hunter. It became the primogenitor of the modern strain of the species. Several thousand generations later, it's become an instinctive to the species, so whenever they see a leek, they enter a berserker fury and beat everything down with it.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    That's why they're delicious with leeks. They're always close at hand and whoever kills a farfetch'd to eat it appreciates the poetic justice of simmering the buggers with their own weapons that they presumably bruised them up with.
    Unless it's the other way round - the Farfetch'd know their culinary complement, and deliberately carry it as a boast of bravado - they're so confident in their martial ability that if they lose, they'll give you the perfect side dish to eat them with.

5. - Top - End - #395

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Unless it's the other way round - the Farfetch'd know their culinary complement, and deliberately carry it as a boast of bravado - they're so confident in their martial ability that if they lose, they'll give you the perfect side dish to eat them with.
    Well, no, you'd have to have more than one leek to have a proper side dish, so there's it's taunting you with the prospect of having to hunt up some more leeks unless you mean to use the leek solely as a way to bring out the farfetch'd's flavor or for stewing.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-18 at 12:19 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Now I'm planning a Pokemon diner. Thinking Tauros steak, Miltank milk, a side of Roselia salad with a Sunkern garnish...

7. - Top - End - #397

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Korvedzk View Post
    Now I'm planning a Pokemon diner. Thinking Tauros steak, Miltank milk, a side of Roselia salad with a Sunkern garnish...
    Throw in some grilled Oddish slices and a Vanillish for desert.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Hadn't even thought of that! Make some Miltank cheese, top the Tauros steak with that and grilled slices of Oddish and Foongus... Soup of the day can be Farfetch'd, Oddish, leek, and potato.

Drats... now I'm hungry...

9. - Top - End - #399

Hadn't even thought of that! Make some Miltank cheese, top the Tauros steak with that and grilled slices of Oddish and Foongus... Soup of the day can be Farfetch'd, Oddish, leek, and potato.

We've probably ruined a few childhoods as well...

10. - Top - End - #400
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Ehm, maybe it's where I live, but in the Netherlands most cows are fed with grass, hay and if thsoe are ngo available on cattlefood. Sure steaks are expensive that way, but oh so good.

But why is corn used then? I can hardly imagine a reason to specifically grom more corn so you can ruin your animals with it.
    Short answer: It's cheap. Farmers get more profit by paying less to feed their livestock.
    Long ranty answer: Most people on this planet don't have a pallette worth mentioning. Proof positive is the multitude of people who eat at McDonalds on a fairly regular basis. As such, people just don't have an eye for quality.

Also, what the animal was fed is not always labelled on the package. Not all chicken is corn fed, true, but not all corn fed chicken is labelled as corn fed. And if it isn't labelled, most people don't have the curiosity/sense to ask. Most have no idea that corn fed is the lower quality. I've had arguements with people where they insist that grass fed cattle is the lower grade, because "grass has no nutritional value" which is facepalm fodder right there. But as such, the stores and the farmers get away with quite a lot, mostly due to a lack of food education and a lack of interest in where one's food comes from. Which goes hand in hand with why the average person has no idea the environmental effects of modern livestock agriculture. Or the degree to which some animals suffer at the hands of poor owners. People take all these things for granted because we can walk into a supermarket, swipe a card, and walk out with whatever we want.

I could go on, but then it slowly turns into multples of /rant and that's just no fun. But I'll say this right now. My fiance is a vet. Her boss used to do livestock. I'm pretty sure I could gross out just about anyone here with some of the stories he's told me, and he's only told me the tame stuff.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Anything to do with agriculture is shot through with politics as well, so it's difficult to discuss here.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #402
    Firbolg in the Playground

Don't forget the steamed crabby with that tauros steak... mmm surf and turf, with a nice slice of cherrim pie.

Relevant to topic: PETA is crazy and meat is delicious say what you will about being better for the environment but it will not change the fact that meat will always be tasty and I shall enjoy until the end of my days....mmm bacon.
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I read an article last night where PETA actually protested something that WAS pretty nasty >< Some "artist" dude created an exhibit that used live butterflies inside of a sealed, clear room/box/whatever, and around 9,000 of them died(400 died a day and needed to be replaced). Pretty horrific if you ask me ><

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HV0UYrE0yPwH7Q
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-10-18 at 03:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    So, I read an article last night where PETA actually protested something that WAS pretty nasty >< Some "artist" dude created an exhibit that used live butterflies inside of a sealed, clear room/box/whatever, and around 9,000 of them died(400 died a day and needed to be replaced). Pretty horrific if you ask me ><

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HV0UYrE0yPwH7Q
    Female butterflies lay around 100 eggs, for insects 9000 isn't much because they have ways to survive on by virtue of procreating faster than they can be killed. Art for art sake, pianos have been burned while being played in the name of music, and people haven't protested for ants or cockroaches deaths for less glorified purposes, it just happens butterflies look more beautiful so people can say "that's wrong".

And that's without considering that butterflies have a survival rate of 2% on the wild, which means they would have died anyway out there.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-10-18 at 03:32 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Short answer: It's cheap. Farmers get more profit by paying less to feed their livestock.
    Long ranty answer: Most people on this planet don't have a pallette worth mentioning. Proof positive is the multitude of people who eat at McDonalds on a fairly regular basis. As such, people just don't have an eye for quality.

Also, what the animal was fed is not always labelled on the package. Not all chicken is corn fed, true, but not all corn fed chicken is labelled as corn fed. And if it isn't labelled, most people don't have the curiosity/sense to ask. Most have no idea that corn fed is the lower quality. I've had arguements with people where they insist that grass fed cattle is the lower grade, because "grass has no nutritional value" which is facepalm fodder right there. But as such, the stores and the farmers get away with quite a lot, mostly due to a lack of food education and a lack of interest in where one's food comes from. Which goes hand in hand with why the average person has no idea the environmental effects of modern livestock agriculture. Or the degree to which some animals suffer at the hands of poor owners. People take all these things for granted because we can walk into a supermarket, swipe a card, and walk out with whatever we want.

I could go on, but then it slowly turns into multples of /rant and that's just no fun. But I'll say this right now. My fiance is a vet. Her boss used to do livestock. I'm pretty sure I could gross out just about anyone here with some of the stories he's told me, and he's only told me the tame stuff.
    it's not about what's on the packet, but what I see them eat (around my house, farms in the enighbourhood, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    Don't forget the steamed crabby with that tauros steak... mmm surf and turf, with a nice slice of cherrim pie.

Relevant to topic: PETA is crazy and meat is delicious say what you will about being better for the environment but it will not change the fact that meat will always be tasty and I shall enjoy until the end of my days....mmm bacon.
    hmmm and true, very true, hmmmmm bacon...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

What would you call the equivalent from a tepig? tebacon?
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-18 at 04:07 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

it's not about what's on the packet, but what I see them eat (around my house, farms in the enighbourhood, etc.)

Well you wouldn't really see all the cows that are locked up in meat factories with barely enough room to lie down now would you? The cows grazing peacefully out in the fields on the other hand are not only very visible, but make the entire area smell like cow pies.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Cow pies = beef pies
    Beef pies = good

From what I recall, corn is subsidised in the US to the point where it's rhe only viable thing economically in some areas.

It's not every country that has acres and acres of corn. A d that corn is done thing we can eat, so the cows are competing with us for food.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

19. - Top - End - #409

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Cow pies = beef pies
    Beef pies = good

From what I recall, corn is subsidised in the US to the point where it's rhe only viable thing economically in some areas.

It's not every country that has acres and acres of corn. A d that corn is done thing we can eat, so the cows are competing with us for food.
    That's interesting. Cow pies are a euphemism for bovine excrement in the U.S.

And, yes, there is perhaps too much corn.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-18 at 06:14 PM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

They put it in soft drinks too, right? Is corn syrup as ubiquitous as I have heard it to be?

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

21. - Top - End - #411

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    They put it in soft drinks too, right? Is corn syrup as ubiquitous as I have heard it to be?
    It is in the majority of prepared foods, soda is probably one of the places, aside from certain baked goods and other confections(I know some use it as a binder(?) for pastry cream and certain kinds of icing), where corn syrup actually makes a certain amount of sense to use it if you've got it though.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-18 at 06:23 PM.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Corn syrup has replaced sugar in soda, bread, most sauces and condiments, candy, most sugared drinks (that arent 100% juice), it can be found in many canned good, and processed anything. Its also used for gasoline, and its kind of silly because where they do it in Brazil they are closer to the equator and the delta on corn is much higher. Using US corn you end up using more energy than if you had just used regular gasoline. Its physics or some sciency thing like that.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    What would you call the equivalent from a tepig? tebacon?
    Tepig is actually useful, though. And probably fire-resistant, to boot.

You'd be making Swinub or Spoink bacon.

Are there any other pig Pokemon?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Tepig is actually useful, though. And probably fire-resistant, to boot.

You'd be making Swinub or Spoink bacon.

Are there any other pig Pokemon?
    *googles*
    spoink and grumpig
    *reads article*
    psychic bacon?
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    *googles*
    spoink and grumpig
    *reads article*
    psychic bacon?

You called?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    The only problem with that is the acronym "People Eating Tasty Animals" doesn't really apply anymore. Unless you're Hannibal Lecter.
    Lets have some fava beans and a glass of chianti to that.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Tepig bacon.
    Fire type. Pig.
    Pre cooked bacon?

"I'll take two Blissey eggs, Sunny side up, one Chansey Egg over easy, four strips of Tepig Bacon, a glass of juiced Tropius fruit... I think that'll be it for me."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Well you wouldn't really see all the cows that are locked up in meat factories with barely enough room to lie down now would you? The cows grazing peacefully out in the fields on the other hand are not only very visible, but make the entire area smell like cow pies.
    I have seen some farms in the area, and I haven't seen that. I'm not sure, but I think there is some law against that in the netherlands (or at least it is heavily frowned upon). On another note, The corn that's grown for livestock purposes is not the corn you love to glaze and roast (that is, it's not sweet corn) andtastes horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    Lets have some fava beans and a glass of chianti to that.
    I like the way you are thinking
    Tepig bacon.
    Fire type. Pig.
    Pre cooked bacon?

"I'll take two Blissey eggs, Sunny side up, one Chansey Egg over easy, four strips of Tepig Bacon, a glass of juiced Tropius fruit... I think that'll be it for me."
    I'd rather have a magicarp, blissey omelette (souffle style), with bits of tepig bacon on the bottom with miltank cheese on top. (this thread is really hazardous for childhoods isn't it?)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd rather have a magicarp, blissey omelette (souffle style), with bits of tepig bacon on the bottom with miltank cheese on top. (this thread is really hazardous for childhoods isn't it?)
    It's the only way I operate.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

I have seen some farms in the area, and I haven't seen that. I'm not sure, but I think there is some law against that in the netherlands (or at least it is heavily frowned upon). On another note, The corn that's grown for livestock purposes is not the corn you love to glaze and roast (that is, it's not sweet corn) andtastes horrible.

I like the way you are thinking

I never said we'd eat the same things they do, but growing different crops people can eat is more efficient.
    Spoiler
    Show