New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

[semi-off-topic]Pokémon are completely sentient and in some cases even smarter than most humans (particularly psychic types with Alakazam boasting an IQ score of more than 5K). It has been alluded to that pokémon (on a general basis) are OK with trainers capturing them. It has been implied that the bond formed between a pokémon and it's trainer is what allows them to become stronger much faster than in the wild. Also many entries in the Pokédex imply the existence of normal wildlife (when they are comparing the pokémon to real-world creatures) the only difference being that the top predators are obviously pokémon. [/semi-off-topic]

On-topic: As a Brony, as much as it shames me to admit, I wouldn't love PETA if they did attack MLP, heck I can barely tolerate them and mostly because I try to avoid them as much as possible.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Bronies would be the only people on the planet that could love and tolerate PETA.
    Speaking as a "Brony"; I seriously wish PETA would just shut the buck up and get their heads out of their hypocritical self righteous flanks.

defaq did I just play?
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-10-09 at 03:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Bronies would be the only people on the planet that could love and tolerate PETA.

I can't decide if that means that they're more highly evolved than us, or simply crazy.
    A little of column A, a lot of column B.

But then again, I've been laughing at PETA since I first heard of them, so maybe I'm not the best sample.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I can't decide if that means that they're more highly evolved than us, or simply crazy.
    I think you may be slightly misunderstanding the love and tolerance expression. I'm a brony and I highly disapprove of PETA and I would be quite angry if they started attacking My Little Pony. But I would still love and tolerate them in the sense that I understand that expression. I distinguish it as being angry at their misguided actions, rather than hating them as people.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    While it's 'just' a kid show/game/card game/ media empire, I think PETA may have a point here.
    A world where kids capture semi-sentient creatures to fight there battles for them is pretty messed up if you think about it, especially when you consider that, canonically ,there is basically no other source of meat, yet meat is seen eaten.
    On the first topic, it's pretty clear in most of the supporting media that Pokemon like battling, and most trainers are respectful and kind to the Pokemon they catch. Take Ash, for example - sure, the kid isn't book smart, but he's pretty much the kind of trainer any Pokemon would dream of having.
    As for the second topic, normal fish have been seen in early episodes. It's possible that there are still some normal animals around on farms and in the wild even though most "regular" animals were probably extirpated in most habitats by Pokemon. Either that, or most humans (and caught Pokemon) in the Pokemon world eat substitution meat, which is something PETA would commend

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Also worth keeping in mind that plenty of pokemon run away from battle and we've seen in the show that when they don't want to be caught, they don't have to fight. Most of the time, they fight because they want to and are happy to be caught by a trainer skilled enough to beat them.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

It occurs to me that pokemon aren't forced to fight under threat of cattle prods or whips. If they didn't want to fight, they wouldn't, even if brought in an obvious battle setting. I admit I don't watch the show so I don't know how often this happens, but I would think semisentient (Yes, that's right. I said "sentient." Problem?! ) to supersentient (oh my, I said it again!) creatures have decision-making skills.
    Furthermore, pokemon-abusive characters are usually the bad guys. Team Rocket and Team Plasma come to mind, such as the rivals from RBY and GSC, the good guys. Exceptions obviously exist, but that's the trend.

And as a brony i've already given my input in loving and tolerating PETA. Not gonna happen.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2012-10-09 at 03:39 PM.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    Any kids' show is messed up, if you really start hitting the moral panic button.

My Little Pony has an entire kingdom so estranged from the natural cycle of things they freak out because things grow on their own in the Evergreen Forest. Oh the horror!

Or how about enslaving AND eating sentient beings in the Flintstones? "Meh, it's a living", goes your steak.

And Donald Duck is a straight-out exhibitionist 'cause he wears no pants, dammit!
    FLintstones, definitely yes.
    With Donald Duck, his feathers are his pants. Wookie Rule and all that.
    I'm not saying there should be some moral panic, but for once I can see where PETA is coming from. I can understand the motives if not the act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Then why does he always cover his nethers when he is caught naked?

IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

10. - Top - End - #100

I'm not saying there should be some moral panic, but for once I can see where PETA is coming from. I can understand the motives if not the act.
    I can't. PETA is comparing apples to oranges here. The experience is mutually beneficial to the pokemon and the trainer, and if pokemon don't want to fight they don't have to. This aspect is just never reflected in the games. From a game design standpoint this makes sense.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

FLintstones, definitely yes.
    The Wookie Rule was disproved by the Holiday Special...Chewbacca's just an exhibitionist pervert.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

While it's 'just' a kid show/game/card game/ media empire, I think PETA may have a point here.
    A world where kids capture semi-sentient creatures to fight there battles for them is pretty messed up if you think about it, especially when you consider that, canonically ,there is basically no other source of meat, yet meat is seen eaten.
    Pokemon are full-on sentient actually. They seem have the capacity to understand English Human language, and other things like that. The thing is that Pokemon who do not want to be caught do not approach trainers. Simple as that. Call it stockholm syndrome or whatever, but this is a relationship that has gone on for countless millennia. Pokemon approaches person. Person catches Pokemon. Best Friends!

Hey, Pokemon eat other Pokemon, so why not people? Especially if you fall under the belief that People evolved (in the Darwinian sense, not the Pokemon sense) from Pokemon.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    It occurs to me that pokemon aren't forced to fight under threat of cattle prods or whips. If they didn't want to fight, they wouldn't, even if brought in an obvious battle setting. I admit I don't watch the show so I don't know how often this happens, but I would think semisentient (Yes, that's right. I said "sentient." Problem?! ) to supersentient (oh my, I said it again!) creatures have decision-making skills.
    Furthermore, pokemon-abusive characters are usually the bad guys. Team Rocket and Team Plasma come to mind, such as the rivals from RBY and GSC, the good guys. Exceptions obviously exist, but that's the trend.

And as a brony i've already given my input in loving and tolerating PETA. Not gonna happen.
    If they dont want to fight in the show, they either just sit there, attack their trainer, or refuse to follow orders. That was the big thing with charmander after it started evolving. Stinking ungrateful bastard started refusing to listen to ash, ever. He had to basically trick charmeleon and charizard into fighting, and even then it wouldnt listen to him on what to do. Yeah buddy, you are welcome there for that whole, "saving your life from the rain, saving you from an abusive trainer that abandoned you, and helping you grow that freaking strong. No no, you dont have to do anything but lie there and attack me with fire."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The Wookie Rule was disproved by the Holiday Special...Chewbacca's just an exhibitionist pervert.
    Bringing in the Holiday Special? Things have taken a turn for the worse

Anyway, Wookiees exist for their own purposes.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    Then why does he always cover his nethers when he is caught naked?
    Same reason a cucumber that wears nothing wears a towel when he gets out of the shower and looks embarrassed when he encounters other similarly nude vegetables.
    It's funny!
    Flintstone's might have that excuse, but Pokemon does not.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-10-09 at 05:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If they dont want to fight in the show, they either just sit there, attack their trainer, or refuse to follow orders. That was the big thing with charmander after it started evolving. Stinking ungrateful bastard started refusing to listen to ash, ever. He had to basically trick charmeleon and charizard into fighting, and even then it wouldnt listen to him on what to do. Yeah buddy, you are welcome there for that whole, "saving your life from the rain, saving you from an abusive trainer that abandoned you, and helping you grow that freaking strong. No no, you dont have to do anything but lie there and attack me with fire."
    The power of repression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The LOBster View Post
    I lost all respect for PETA when they openly rejoiced at Steve Irwin's death. I mean, c'mon; Steve did more to help animals than PETA ever did, and he didn't just limit himself to cute, cuddly mammals and birds.
    They what! Hey look, there went the line. This statement has finally sparked hatred in me for peta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, right? (Just as long as that's what the person wishes to happen to their body.)

Golden leaf? I have no idea where you're getting that. The Tanooki Suit comes from a little Tanooki Suit icon, just like the Hammer Bros & Frog Suits come from icons that look like their suits. Leaves give you the Raccoon Suit and come in green & brown, depending on the level.
    It was late, I got the full tanuki suit and the partial tanuki suit a little blurred. The full version does indeed come from the icon in its shape, but it also lets you turn into a statue. The partial just gets you the ears and tail, but does indeed come from a gold leaf.

Teach me to keep posting when I'm that tired.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Pokemon are full-on sentient actually. They seem have the capacity to understand English Human language, and other things like that. The thing is that Pokemon who do not want to be caught do not approach trainers. Simple as that. Call it stockholm syndrome or whatever, but this is a relationship that has gone on for countless millennia. Pokemon approaches person. Person catches Pokemon. Best Friends!

Hey, Pokemon eat other Pokemon, so why not people? Especially if you fall under the belief that People evolved (in the Darwinian sense, not the Pokemon sense) from Pokemon.
    My thoery is that humans are colonists who crashed landed and the animals (most likely in the form of frozen embryos) did not survive. Their legacy is in the naming conventions for Pokemon and certain phrases used.
    Pokemon are the native inhabitants of the planet.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Flintstone's might have that excuse, but Pokemon does not.
    Why exactly? What's wrong with a totally fictional universe and games made for fun be any less safe from scrutiny than any other medium merely because it's funny? Have we seen a sudden spike in animal abuse cases world wide since the release of Red and Blue? Because then...then you'd have some grounds to suggest that there -might- be something more sinister at hand. I don't have the data myself, but then again I'm not the one suggesting that Pokemon is somehow raising our children to be abusive monsters who only look at animals as either fodder for our tables or for our amusement. I know I've been playing the games since the very first day they were released to the public in the states to today and I haven't somehow gained the urge to beat animals "BECAUSE DOCTOR OAK SAID SO".

I won't call it moral panic, but I'll certainly not call it sensible to somehow suggest that Pokemon supports animal abuse. Just the same way that Grand Theft Auto doesn't increase the risk someone's going to go murder a ton of hookers, do blow and steal cars. Or that players of Dead or Alive have any tangible taste in video games. If you're going to go after one game for what it may have a message about then...you should be going after other games that actually do promote violence openly within the games themselves.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-09 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

What about Dinotopia? The dinosaurs ate used as mounts and beasts of burden, but the dinosaurs are sentient and get on five with humans.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

21. - Top - End - #111

In regards to Pokemon, The Lavendar Town Syndrome creepypasta has more merit than animal abuse claims. Come on.
    Last edited by Emperor Ing; 2012-10-09 at 06:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    What about Dinotopia? The dinosaurs ate used as mounts and beasts of burden, but the dinosaurs are sentient and get on five with humans.
    Exactly, there is an arrangement, a covenant between dinosaurs and humans. Did pokemon ask to be enslaved? No, they are taken from the wild by force. The fact they try to escape is proof enough of that.
    I'm not saying it's as big an issue PETA is making it Gods no, overreacting is basically their watchword, their primary mode of operation, but gods, we still should stop and think about these things.

23. - Top - End - #113

Exactly, there is an arrangement, a covenant between dinosaurs and humans. Did pokemon ask to be enslaved? No, they are taken from the wild by force. The fact they try to escape is proof enough of that.
    I'm not saying it's as big an issue PETA is making it Gods no, overreacting is basically their watchword, their primary mode of operation, but gods, we still should stop and think about these things.
    Except most dont in the series. Too be fair, most of the time the pokemon we see ash catch are plot devices like the head of the squirtle squad, or the abused charmander he saves, and they choose to come with him willingly. But honestly, the only one I can think of offhand that wasnt taken willingly, was probably caterpie, and after evolving fully, ASH LET HIM GO. His butterfree found a mate, and instead of saying, "Sucks to be you, lets go find us a pokemon to beat up" Ash, sobbing his eyes out, let him go so he could be happy and have a family or whatever.

Basically, the entire point of ash in the series to show us that friendship is magic. He makes friends with all his pokemon, helps them achieve THEIR goals, like primape wanting to be a butt whuppingly strong fighter, or charizard and his trip to the reserve, pikachu wanting to kickass forever without evolving for whatever reason he had, things like that. Yes he wants to be the greatest pokemon trainer in the world, but he also cares about what his pokemon want to do and helps them do it. In return, they get crushingly powerful, able to ignore type disadvanatges at will, and help ash become a champ.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Now we're already talking about Pokemon... Is the main character really called Ash Ketchum? Is that honestly supposed to be his real name, not an alias he took when he decided to go into Pokemoning? Because such a cheap, lame pun in the name of the main character would be just sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Now we're already talking about Pokemon... Is the main character really called Ash Ketchum? Is that honestly supposed to be his real name, not an alias he took when he decided to go into Pokemoning? Because such a cheap, lame pun in the name of the main character would be just sad...
    His real name is Red.
    Then you haven't played the games. Because, especially the Legendaries, all choose the player in agreement of strength to follow them. When ever people approach you, they mention how strong your bond is with your pokemon and the love they feel for you. There are moves that are actually dependent on how much they love you as well.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-09 at 06:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Basically, the entire point of ash in the series to show us that friendship is H4X.
    FTFY

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Plus, given the animistic nature of the Pokémon world, it's implied that in the past you had things like
    The humans were cold and hungry. And then the king of the Tauros, taking pity on them, appeared to form a contract. Humans would be allowed to take the meat and hides of Tauros to feed themselves and keep warm. In exchange, they would spread tales of the greatness of the Tauros tribe, with expressions such as "as strong as a Tauros". As well, if a Tauros warrior approached a human seeking to become stronger, the human (after proving himself worthy) would be obliged to take on that Tauros as a student and friend.
    (just look at the library in DPP, where humans are told to thank the spirit of the Pokémon after they eat it)

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    His name in Japanese was Satoshi (a fairly normal name). In English they had to come up with something that had three syllables.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-10-09 at 06:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

NecromancerGuy

What are you talking about? I've not run into pokemon trying to escape, even in the anime.

The best explanation for a wild pokemon battle is that you run into one and it attacks you. Yes, some wild pokemon run away from battle, but you know what happens when a wild pokemon beats your pokemon?

You're beaten unconscious and robbed.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-09 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #119
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I like to think you instead get eaten by the wild Pokemon, and after a fee is deducted from your bank account, a clone with up-to-date memory scan is activated.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like to think that you wake up in a ramshackle doctor's office with a deep voice gloomily saying, "Pokemon battles. Pokemon battles never change."

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig