New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: PETA releases statement opposing Pokemon

At least a page or two were spent discussing the sentience of Pokémon, now that does deserve the discussion
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that a world view that expouses kindness to animals will, if they succeed in spreading their world view, endanger and outright slaughter tens of millions of animals. There are 15.8 billion chickens living on the planet as of 2002. What's going to happen to them?
    If a law was drafted and passed within the lifespan of a chicken (or cow or pig), then any animals who were born after the start of the process but before the law was passed would become dead weight and would be killed if no-one was willing to take care of them until they died.

If the planet gradually turned away from the use of animals, then the chicken population would be reduced not by culling, but by not allowing the chickens currently alive to breed.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    If a law was drafted and passed within the lifespan of a chicken (or cow or pig), then any animals who were born after the start of the process but before the law was passed would become dead weight and would be killed if no-one was willing to take care of them until they died.
    A law of that nature would probably have a "date of effect" separate from the date of passing (as most laws do) to take account of the lifespan of contemporary domestic animals. Or a clause along the lines of "animals born after date x shall be <sterilised/whatever>". It would still take a while to work through - some domestic animals have very long lifespans. Even cats can live ~20 years.

(In fact, there's an interesting question-mark over the validity of wills/trusts for the well-being of some animals - particularly birds and tortoises - given their long lifespans. But this isn't the place for a legal debate.)
    Quote Originally Posted by thubby
    i've always suspected that peta was actually an elaborate effort to troll people.
    I have long suspected this too. If so, they deserve some sort of lifetime achievement award.

I fear, though, that they're not.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    Let's be honest here; a lot of the noises humans make are because we're hungry and horny, too.

Of course, humans tend to be noisiest when we're drunk off our asses.
    I am under no delusion. We're animals, after all. We've merely stepped out of the plains of our lowly origin unto a larger stage but still bare the markings of it, as Darwin said best.

A lot of humans are also parasite ridden, cold and half starved. Alcohol just makes it all a little bit more bearable. Debatable as it is, beer was one of our greatest inventions and one of our worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post

If the planet gradually turned away from the use of animals, then the chicken population would be reduced not by culling, but by not allowing the chickens currently alive to breed.
    Sadly, the Law and a lot more of what I'd like to say to this goes way to close to forum rules. So I'll merely say...murder is murder and the targeted and marked extinction of over 17.8 billion living things is a travesty when they're merely being killed off because of "dead weight".
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-10-12 at 02:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    I could argue this but.. board rules. Anyway.

I'm kinda shocked that this has gotten six pages of comments. PETA isn't worth the brainbytes.
    Its pretty much relentless mockery with a couple pages of arguing over the ethics of pokemon. I dont think anyone is seriously arguing in favor of peta.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #186

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Natural rights? The only rights nature grants you are the right to kill and eat the creatures you're strong or clever enough to overcome, and the right to ultimately feed worms.

Everything else is man-made. You have whatever rights you have either because your government gives them to you, and hasn't pissed its populace off enough to cause a revolt, or from taking the rights you're willing and able to take for yourself by force, either individually or as part of an organization. The latter has been how most of the free world got the rights they have. If you don't believe me, read your people's constitution, if you have one, to a tornado or a bear that's bearing down on you, then come and tell us how it went.

Nature is an uncarring bastard that doesn't give two cp about your rights; see disease and disaster.
    So, for clarity's sake, are you saying you haven't read John Locke or that you dismiss him?

He's totally worth a read if you haven't.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-12 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So, for clarity's sake, are you saying you haven't read John Locke or that you dismiss him?

He's totally worth a read if you haven't.
    Hadn't heard of him before your post, but after a bit of cursory research I dismiss him.

His ideas of natural human rights are predicated on the man-made construct that is civilized society. If there is no society, you have no rights, in other words. Locke himself acknowledges that in nature there is only the defense of self.

Rights are a concept, not something inherent to nature.

At least until and unless you blur or erase the line for where society and nature become seperate. If you consider a structured society part of the nature of man, then it gets a bit more grey, but in that case dominating other species is still an inherent right of man as a result of his nature, and the result of evolution.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, I could give up steak, but I could not give up pets.

I love my Dogs too much.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Hadn't heard of him before your post, but after a bit of cursory research I dismiss him.
    Thank goodness for cursory research.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Peta did something stupid and obnoxious? I never could have imagined... oh wait, this kind of thing happens all the time. PETA is a joke and regardless of their actual beliefs, this kind of thing makes them a joke.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Thank goodness for cursory research.
    Cursory research is better than no research.

I'm reading his work now, but I don't really expect I'll have a sudden change of heart.

Edit: A more thorough examination of his works only reinforces my initial impression. His entire thesis is based on the construct that is civilization, which he himself calls a departure from the natural state which is governed by its own law of survival of the fittest.

Btw, I'm not saying rights are a bad thing or superfluous in any way. Having rights is definitely better than not having rights and I'd fight to maintain/regain any rights I think I deserve if someone tried to take them. I'm just saying that considering rights as something that comes from, or is inherent to, nature is a fundamentally flawed idea if you consider nature and civilization to be seperate things.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-12 at 07:13 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

If you keep reading Locke you'll learn that natural rights and the state of nature, while related, are not the same thing.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    If you keep reading Locke you'll learn that natural rights and the state of nature, while related, are not the same thing.
    I get that already. That's actually kinda my point.

The "natural" of natural rights is a misnomer, since they don't come from nature. Natural rights are the rights that a particular society sees as the most basic, fundamental, and somehow intrinsic rights that should never be violated. That doesn't make them any less a part of the culture that grants them or actually inherent to being a living creature. Alot of Locke's arguments also come from his views on morality, another social construct that has nothing to do with nature.

Don't get me wrong. They're fine works that should be given their due respect, IMO, but they don't even try to deny that rights are something that's a part of human civilization rather the part of nature.

After reading Locke's works, I think he'd probably be baffled by the notion of trying to apply the idea of natural rights to animals, much less the idea of extending any more rights than that to them.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-12 at 10:57 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

I get that already. That's actually kinda my point.

The "natural" of natural rights is a misnomer, since they don't come from nature. Natural rights are the rights that a particular society sees as the most basic, fundamental, and somehow intrinsic rights that should never be violated.
    Then you read it wrong. We have inalienable rights that are insecure in the state of nature. The role of government and society is to establish a system to secure - not grant - those rights.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Then you read it wrong. We have inalienable rights that are insecure in the state of nature. The role of government and society is to establish a system to secure - not grant - those rights.
    Coming to a different conclusion isn't reading it wrong.

The idea that rights are inalienable or otherwise intrinsic is just that; ideology. Further, it still stems from a morality concept which is just as much a social construct as the rights themselves. Your rights are A) not inalienable, as countless regimes across the world throughout history have done more than an ample job of proving; there always have been, and still are places where you have only the rights you can take at gun or knife point; and B) not intrinsic, because otherwise they'd be observed by nature in -some- form; overriding instinct to not violate the rights of others for example, or having those rights respected by creatures on the same level of the food-chain.

Locke even hangs part of his argument on the concept of ownership; specifically the notion that one of your natural rights is the right to defend your property, and that your body and being belong to a deity; which isn't any more natural than rights or morality. Hell, even the idea that they're insecure in nature hangs on the concept of security, another human idea based on the concept of ownership.

Like I said, I can definitely buy into the social contract. I think if you're going to have a government, it's purpose should be to protect and support the people from outside aggression and natural disaster with no mind toward its own profit, but ultimately that has nothing at all to do with nature and everything to do with culture.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    PETA have their heads up their keisters. News at eleven.
    PETA quite literally have their heads up their arses. Film at eleven.

I'd pay to see film of that.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Coming to a different conclusion isn't reading it wrong.
    Are you arguing about Locke's views or Kelb_Panthera's views?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb Panthera
    Natural rights? The only rights nature grants you are the right to kill and eat the creatures you're strong or clever enough to overcome, and the right to ultimately feed worms.
    Another way of expressing this, in a more abstract sense, would be that in nature you have the right to the product of your own labour (provided you are able to defend it).

That's at the core of Locke's political philosophy. In providing collective defence of the fruits of its citizens' labours, the state guarantees a right that's present, but limited, in the state of nature.

Personally, I take a fairly Hobbesian view of the state of nature - there are no inalienable rights, with the arguable exception of the right to self-defence which isn't permanently alienable, and the purpose of the state is to limit liberty to provide security - but I don't think Locke is entirely wrong, either.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    You take things to their logical conclusion, things get absurdum real fast.
    Logically, logic is absurd!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

The real question: would PETA support man-eating sheep?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    The real question: would PETA support man-eating sheep?
    "oh no! its not healthy for the sheep!"
    Despite everything, its still me.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    "oh no! its not healthy for the sheep!"
    It is actually somewhat related to the prior group of posts. There's a cookie (vegan cookie, of course) to the person who gets the reference first.

23. - Top - End - #203

...Black Sheep?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    ...Black Sheep?
    Black Sheep?

25. - Top - End - #205

That is, indeed, the movie to which I referred.

26. - Top - End - #206

NecromancerGuy

We even have at least one user whose persona is inspired by that movie, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    That is, indeed, the movie to which I referred.
    That looks like an instant classic

Nah, the man-eating sheep aren't literal.

Thomas More used the phrase "man-eating sheep" to describe the process of enclosure in England. Essentially, landowners and powerful tenants would expel peasants from the commons in order to make more money selling wool. As the displaced peasants often died, the sheep were "man-eating."

Locke's writings were used, in part, by landowners to justify enclosure (right to own property and all that). In part, because it was a centuries-long process (More lived roughly 100 years before Locke). Hence the connection between man-eating sheep and Locke.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

They hunger for Baaaaaaaharains.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    They hunger for Baaaaaaaharains.
    They hunger for a country?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Are you arguing about Locke's views or Kelb_Panthera's views?
    I'm defending my views. Locke's already made his clear.

I'm saying that while, IMO, Locke's ideas are a good framework to base a government on, he's made a disingenious statement about where rights come from. I also think he did so deliberately. Remember that all political theorists must, by definition, be well versed in politics.

By saying that those rights are inherent he implied that a government denying those rights was taking something away, and in doing so garnered support by engaging people's distaste for having what they view as theirs threatened.

Had he been straightfoward and said that they were the fundamental rights of the liberalist ideology, it would've implied he was making it up, which he was, and it likely wouldn't have been quite as well recieved.

"Natural" rights are a relatively new idea, and they are an idea, that only came into being a few hundred years ago. Before that the only people that had any rights were rulers and the aristocracy that supported them. The rest of the populace only had as much freedom and privelage as they were allowed under their ruling regime.

Ultimately all rights, natural or otherwise, are just political philosophy. They're not and never have been something inherent to nature.

Again, I think that having rights is better than not having them and fully support the social contract as a framework for government. I'm just being honest about the fact that it's a philosophy, not a natural law. If it were a natural law then humans wouldn't be the only ones that recognize it. If you look at any other group of social animals you'll see that they're led by the strongest, smartest, or otherwise most capable member of the group that's able to seize and maintain power.

Man's laws are many and complex. Nature's law is singular and simple; survival of the fittest.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-14 at 08:18 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show