1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Default Spot checks for creatures in shadows

Relatively simple question, just one I can't seem to find an answer for. What would the spot check be to see a creature that's in shadow but not actively hiding? Should there be a spot check at all, or should the character's just be able to see it?

For instance, say an archer is hiding in a shadowy area, and the character's don't manage to spot him. The archer then attacks one of the characters, and is thus no longer hiding. However, the area he's in is still rather dark. Say, perhaps just on the very edge of an area of shadowy illumination?

Alternatively, if the area the attacker's in is completely dark, am I correct in saying that the poor pincushions would get no check to actually see him?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spot checks for creatures in shadows

1 billion. Unless it is a shadow, in which case the players can already see it.
    New World: What's it about? Fencing Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lot's of Bad Men. Lot's of Good Men., Two or Three Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles and a Little Sex. In short, it's about Pokemon.here

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I say you make spots a penalty. But you see were the shot came from, not the shooter
    PBP sheet:here
    Dm Card
    Awesome people saying awesome things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carecalmo View Post
    Then again, you could be volunteering for !!SCIENCE!!, in which case... I shall take notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Alternatively I may consider going into politics after getting bored of hunting aliens in the jungle.
    LGBTAitP
    ( Please pardon any garbled posts. I prefer face to face communication then text, and I also don't read whole threads, so I may just put in my 2cp.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Creatures that make attacks take a -20 on hide checks. However he will still have concealment and all of the bonuses thereof.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's what I found from the SRD:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm
    Sniping
    If you’ve already successfully hidden at least 10 feet from your target, you can make one ranged attack, then immediately hide again. You take a -20 penalty on your Hide check to conceal yourself after the shot.
    It seems that you can still re-hide, but with a pretty massive penalty. Unless he's very skilled at hiding, very far away, and/or your PCs have bad spot checks, they'll likely spot him immediately.
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Your example archer would be spotted immediately upon attacking unless he rolled a successful hide check at his normal modifire -20 as a move action. He would still get the benefit of a miss chance against attacks returned in his direction. How much miss chance depends on how deep the shadows are, but the default is 20%. If he's in total darkness, he has total concealment and can't be spotted anyway, unless the spotter has some means of seeing through darkness.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-08 at 10:11 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... I'd say that he would simply gain Concealment. No fancy, house rules, just the simple, given ones.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

When he shoots you see him, you don't roll a check. Done.

If he attempts the snipe special attack he may attempt to hide again at a -20 penalty. See the hide skill for more details.

Shadows provide concealment which allows hiding but do not provide a bonus to hide checks nor do you need to roll a check to find someone walking around casually in shadows and making no attempt to hide. You just see him. In total darkness OTOH you can't see him regardless of whether or not he tries to hide; no spot check just an automatic failure. Unless you have darkvision.

Darkvision negates all of the above. Low light vision doubles the effective range of illumination so that sometimes he is no longer in shadows and thus has no concealment and thus cannot hide. All of these are as seen by the character with darkvision or low light vision; others may still need to make spot checks.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-10-09 at 12:06 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles: Part 1, 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

What ericgrau said, but the DC to spot something large and in plain sight is zero, plus one per ten feet of distance (I can't seem to find where it says that, however). Like he said, shadow doesnt give you a bonus to hide checks, it just limits how far you can make spot checks.
    Simple Adventure Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Warriors: Kosnark, Risper, Atalayne

Arcane Destruction: Grimm, Osra (5hp), Trixie, Erindar

Kanok

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Thank you all for the answers you've given. Much of it was what I suspected, but after playing with others that have dealt with things in a... different manner for so long, I was beginning to doubt my understanding.