New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7

In the immortal words of Medibot, "Who can understand the motivations of wizards?"

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Apparently I was unclear. What grates on my nerves is the idea of a wet behind the ears kid, clutching a handful of freshly inked scrolls, who wanders into the "old haunted caves" and then crawls back out- six months or six decades later- fully lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree, filled with five lifetimes of knowledge, 20th level, etc. etc...
    Meanwhile, all the dozens of societies, pantheons of gods, creatures of the under dark, all see him come out, and ask "Who the **** is this guy?"

As far as IRL people go, I'm a firm believer that Einstein was 4th level, and so was Jim Thorpe.
    Also, I'm not saying every high level character should be a household name. But players know players.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

The amusing thing is that since the DC to identify a creature is (at least in 3.5) harder as it gains more levels, the world has a tougher time figuring out who the almighty demigod is than recognizing the clumsy beginner. Then again, those people tend to be decked out in so much stuff that they barely look like their own species, never mind the person they were before they went on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #514
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The amusing thing is that since the DC to identify a creature is (at least in 3.5) harder as it gains more levels, the world has a tougher time figuring out who the almighty demigod is than recognizing the clumsy beginner. Then again, those people tend to be decked out in so much stuff that they barely look like their own species, never mind the person they were before they went on the road.
    Plus I tend to prefer running that the various common buff-enchants (strength, natural armor, etc) actually change your appearance. (So someone wearing strength items is more muscular, con items more thick-boned, NA means your skin gets more leathery, etc.)

5. - Top - End - #515
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    Plus I tend to prefer running that the various common buff-enchants (strength, natural armor, etc) actually change your appearance. (So someone wearing strength items is more muscular, con items more thick-boned, NA means your skin gets more leathery, etc.)
    So the young buck who left home comes back 10 levels later, bursts through the door, and yells, "Hi mom!"
    "AAAAAAIIIIIII!!!! A MONSTER!!"

6. - Top - End - #516
    Banned

You don't make knowledge checks to identify individuals, so I don't think that is relevant anyway.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    Does increased Wisdom give you a longer, whiter beard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #518
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Does increased Wisdom give you a longer, whiter beard?
    No, it gives you a job in a coffee shop.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    No, it gives you a job in a coffee shop.
    Nah, that's the Cursed Item that looks like an Periapt of Wisdom +6 but actually lowers your Wisdom to 3.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Nah, that's the Cursed Item that looks like an Periapt of Wisdom +6 but actually lowers your Wisdom to 3.
    Quit talking smack about my liberal arts degree.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Nah, that's the Cursed Item that looks like a Periapt of Wisdom +6 but actually lowers your Wisdom to 3.
    I thought it just looked like a philosophy diploma.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob.Tyr View Post
    Quit talking smack about my liberal arts degree.
    I'm preparing for a potential career in academia. Departmental rivalries and whatnot.
    Jude P.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

New survey is up. WOTC wants to know in detail what you think of all the individual maneuvers, spells, magic items, and so forth.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I thought it just looked like a philosophy diploma.
    Hey, one guy I gamed with back in highschool was working on has his Ph.D. in philosophy when we ran into each other in grad school.

Looking at Wikipedia he's now the chief game designer at Zynga. So he's gainfully employed and is directly responsible for my wife wasting hundreds of hours of time.

OTOH it also looks like he never finished the degree.

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    New survey is up. WOTC wants to know in detail what you think of all the individual maneuvers, spells, magic items, and so forth.
    Why am I not getting emails about these anymore? >:|

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Hey, one guy I gamed with back in highschool was working on has his Ph.D. in philosophy when we ran into each other in grad school.

Looking at Wikipedia he's now the chief game designer at Zynga. So he's gainfully employed and is directly responsible for my wife wasting hundreds of hours of time.

OTOH it also looks like he never finished the degree.
    Well clearly his degree didn't get him a job in philosophy (of which there's more or less just professor and author). And if he didn't even finish it then well there you go.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Links are always extremely helpful for people who don't usually go to the WotC site. Which is a mess.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Links are always extremely helpful for people who don't usually go to the WotC site. Which is a mess.
    http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/107320...ytest-Survey-5

or click THIS.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the high level play.

Its just so boring, barely different then low level play.

I want to FEEL like an epic person. With epic abilities, and more options.

Not that many people play high level, but those that do, play it for a reason.

They play it FOR the lots of choices and cool abilities.

Why make it more attractive to people who don't care for those choices by scaring away people who DO enjoy them?

Their legacy approach is also idiotic. I could always do those things before with just some good roleplaying!

18. - Top - End - #528

Are you privy to some version of the play test that no-one else has? As near as I can tell, they haven't released any high level play or legacy things for your to be dissatisfied in.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

For me, high level play is ripe for more options than low-level play. I don't think that WotC will find most of those options profitable, so I expect to see a vibrant homebrew community grow around it. For my hard earned money, I'd rather them focus on making low level play cool.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I'm curious. Do we have any information about how D&D Next handles alignment and how it applies to races? I recall seeing some articles about orcs and goblinoids that were more of the same old rubbish, but it's possible I don't have the whole picture.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Based on some really old interviews, alignment was supposed to be pure window dressing. NPCs and PCs have it, but it has no mechanical effect.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    Are you privy to some version of the play test that no-one else has? As near as I can tell, they haven't released any high level play or legacy things for your to be dissatisfied in.
    Higher level play as in level 10.

Legacy is like ADDs castle and politics stuff. They talked about it.

Stuff that I did not need hammered in rules for.

23. - Top - End - #533

BardGuy

^^That's not entirely accurate. There is expected to be a mechanical element to alignment, but it only applies to outsiders. Angels, demons, and whatnot. But anything native to the material plane likely won't have to worry about walking into a Magic Circle Against Good, or something like that.
    Last edited by Madfellow; 2012-11-09 at 03:18 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

I see. What about the "Always Chaotic Evil" races? More of the same old?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

25. - Top - End - #535

BardGuy

Probably not. Generally speaking, the idea of "Always Chaotic Evil" hasn't been received well, because of its unfortunate implications. More likely, monster descriptions will include something like, "These guys tend toward chaos more than law, and evil more than good. However, exceptions always exist."

More likely than that, even, monster descriptions will be more like what we've been getting in the Wandering Monster column at Wizards.com. It describes the monster and its usual motivations and social patterns, and leaves it at that.
    Last edited by Madfellow; 2012-11-09 at 03:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madfellow View Post
    It describes the monster and its usual motivations and social patterns, and leaves it at that.
    "Orc society is run entirely by murder and theft, not only of each other but also everyone they encounter. Orcs are also extremely lazy and never work for anything they can possibly steal from someone else, and they never do anything they could potentially force a slave to do for them. Their favorite pastime is to behead the women and children of their slave population and use the severed heads like rugby balls."

Ultimately it's boneheaded fluff-writing that's the real problem, and WotC is far from the only one guilty of it: The above description is a mash-up of the Orc, Ogre, and Gnoll societies from Pathfinder's fluff books.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Orc society is run entirely by murder and theft, not only of each other but also everyone they encounter. Orcs are also extremely lazy and never work for anything they can possibly steal from someone else, and they never do anything they could potentially force a slave to do for them. Their favorite pastime is to behead the women and children of their slave population and use the severed heads like rugby balls."

Ultimately it's boneheaded fluff-writing that's the real problem, and WotC is far from the only one guilty of it: The above description is a mash-up of the Orc, Ogre, and Gnoll societies from Pathfinder's fluff books.
    Well...what exactly are you expecting from orcs, ogres, and gnolls?
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #538

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Tea and crumpets. And the hearts of their enemies as a side.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds AWESOME.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madfellow View Post
    Probably not. Generally speaking, the idea of "Always Chaotic Evil" hasn't been received well, because of its unfortunate implications. More likely, monster descriptions will include something like, "These guys tend toward chaos more than law, and evil more than good. However, exceptions always exist."

More likely than that, even, monster descriptions will be more like what we've been getting in the Wandering Monster column at Wizards.com. It describes the monster and its usual motivations and social patterns, and leaves it at that.
    I see. I'll be watching, I guess. Mostly out of curiosity, as I don't expect much.

Yes, the depiction of the "monster races" in Pathfinder is sort of hilariously horrible. Grimderp is a good word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I don't know, not to be caricatures made up for the sole purpose of the PCs having someone whom it's okay to kill indiscriminately?
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-09 at 05:50 PM.