New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,486 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Banned

Griffon

Default Re: D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    Indeed, but my problem also applies to vancian casting as a whole: Guessing what encounters the DM is going to toss at you while you put your spell list together is putting the fun and complexity before play happens. Besides, in my experience, most players entirely bypass this "element" of the system by just keeping a "usual spells" list that they prepare every day unless something tells them they should prepare something else, and the 5e designers are sharply reducing this element anyway by putting all formerly-vancian casters on spirit shaman casting.
    (raises hand)

This is why I tend to prefer sorcerers over wizards and in Pathfinder oracles over clerics. I'm going to be using the same spells over and over anyway I might as well cast more per day and be able to spam a spell if I need to. In one of my games I'm playing a Life Oracle and am loving it. I get to play a "cleric" in every way in my usual mode with the freedom to cast as needed. Last game I was able to spam buff the party on Bull's Strength and Shield of Faith before a battle I'd never have been able to do as a cleric. I can still cast Bull Strength or Divine Favor on myself for combat and channel energy as a revelation for when I need/want to go into healbot mode. Finally I get to play a "cleric" how I always dreamed of playing one. The one level delay in spell progression is irrelevant to me. I'm sure there will be a combat where I wish had a spell I don't, but that's not going to happen often enough for me to worry about.

If "concentrating on a spell" for a round means more than just me sitting in the chair telling the DM "I maintain the spell", then it might not be so bad. If I get to make decisions and manipulate stuff that are effective through the use of this one spell, then I'm engaged. I'm contributing. I like that suggestion 'Dice gave.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Just for the record, concentration (in the current rules) doesn't require you to forego your action; it's just that you can only keep one "concentration" spell up at any one time. Inevitably there'll be a feat that makes it two. But the point is, you can still move around and cast other spells while concentrating.

Overall I agree with the comment earlier that the issue is not that wizards in the current playtest get too many options; it's that fighters get too few.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Orc in the Playground

Many problems have to do with the breadth of magic. A fighter takes a major nerf switching between combat styles, but the same is not true of magic. There needs to be stiff implications in picking your magic. You are good at what you do, but take nerfs when switching to someone else's specialty.

As long as magic can be anything, there will be an imbalance of power.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

In any case, restricting the number of high level spell slots is a way to balance the at-will spells, and not in a bad way. The team will have to rely on other ways to solve the lesser encounters, while saving the big guns for the boss fight. Currently building the level 14 characters and will try out the mud-sorceror tomb adventure after the holidays.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Is it really going to be fun for the fighters if they know they're only there and contributing because the wizard is holding back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Would rather the fighter just never felt useful?

Essentially the fighter is fulfilling the role of a tank in this situation, making sure the artillary of the wizard won't be out of ammo before they're really needed. This is a genuinely important role.

Also you can design a melee class with similarly restricted abilities?

Spoiler
    Show
    Previous avatar courtesy of CoffeeIncluded - of Kurt, from the Toes in the Water Knee Deep Against the current Stormy Seas campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    The irony comes in when we use "Orcs are a metaphor for human savagery" to rationalize human savagery.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm not sure that's a good idea. Is it really going to be fun for the fighters if they know they're only there and contributing because the wizard is holding back?
    If I have one grenade, it's not holding back if I don't throw it, it's preparation.

The fighter is contributing if his actions are directly responsible for the wizard being able to deploy against a larger threat. If the wizard can only take out one threat, regardless of size, and the fighter can take out a half-dozen small threats but not the one biggest threat, then having two wizards instead of a wizard and a fighter would mean that the two wizards would be overwhelmed by smaller threats while trying to take out a large one.

Ideally, the fighter's ability to keep going indefinitely would actually balance out the nova-like nature of a wizard's powers. This failed fairly badly in 3.5; time will tell how it works out in 5e.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Essentially the fighter is fulfilling the role of a tank in this situation
    Which outside of an MMO where an algorithm controls who monsters attack is kind of an unreliable state of affairs.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Which outside of an MMO where an algorithm controls who monsters attack is kind of an unreliable state of affairs.
    The other kind of tank, which is notable primarily for having a big freaking gun (though not to the level of artillery) is the one being used here. That kind is still useful.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    If I have one grenade, it's not holding back if I don't throw it, it's preparation.

The fighter is contributing if his actions are directly responsible for the wizard being able to deploy against a larger threat. If the wizard can only take out one threat, regardless of size, and the fighter can take out a half-dozen small threats but not the one biggest threat, then having two wizards instead of a wizard and a fighter would mean that the two wizards would be overwhelmed by smaller threats while trying to take out a large one.

Ideally, the fighter's ability to keep going indefinitely would actually balance out the nova-like nature of a wizard's powers. This failed fairly badly in 3.5; time will tell how it works out in 5e.
    Which leads to another problem. The wizard finally casts his big boomba spell, and . . . it doesn't work. BBEG made the save. Wizard missed the target on his roll. There was a concealment miss chance. Something that caused the spell's effect not to work. Now what? All that build up for nothing and the wizard has no other big boomba thing to do. Time to go back to Magic Missile the darkness, yay.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Page 50, we need a new thread.

I made it
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2012-12-20 at 07:23 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow, there's already a 5th edition? Didn't 4th come out two years or so ago? I guess it wasn't popular.

Does anybody have a synopsis on 5th, which pretty much shows what they changed compared to prior editions?

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

4th edition? That was 2008, or four years ago.

5th edition is still in development, and not that far along either.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    Wow, there's already a 5th edition? Didn't 4th come out two years or so ago? I guess it wasn't popular.

Does anybody have a synopsis on 5th, which pretty much shows what they changed compared to prior editions?
    5th is currently in alpha, in a "put everything in and see what people complain about" form. Any synopsis of what they changed will probably be wrong.
    Now with half the calories!

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guys, the eighth thread has started. This one is closing shortly.
    Jude P.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Guys, the eighth thread has started. This one is closing shortly.
    I'm well aware (you'll notice that I posted in the new thread before that last post). I wanted to answer Kaeso's question in the same thread it was asked in, since it was fairly simple and I have no idea whether or not he's checking the new thread.