New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

[OOC Thread is HERE]

I read within a poet's book
    Some words that starred the page,
    "Stone walls do not a prison make,
    Nor iron bars a cage."
    Yes, that is true, and something more:
    You'll find, where'er you roam,
    That marble floors and gilded walls
    Can never make a home.
    But every house where Love abides
    And Friendship is a guest,
    Is surely home, and home, sweet home;
    For there the heart can rest.

Henry Van Dyke – Home

************************************************** ************************************************** **********

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together, and created harmony across all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn; the younger brought forth the moon to begin the night. Thus, the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies.

But as time went on, the younger sister became resentful

And so, as the story goes, the moon princess fell; consumed into a nightmare of her own making. Her banishment at her sister’s hooves lasted a thousand years, during which time the tale of Nightmare Moon passed into legend and ultimately, myth.

As time passed for the ponies of Equestria, and new generations were born, this tale eventually began to fade. No longer a statement of fact, it became a simple story used to frighten foals at bedtime, a cautionary tale about what happens if you let your jealousy control you.

At least, that is, until that fateful day when their princess returned.

The exact details of what happened on the solstice remain hazy, even now, even amongst the ponies who swear to have witnessed it. Few of them can say with certainty exactly what happened to cause the night to last for so long, or what it was that finally returned the sun to Equestria.

Hearsay and embellishment, the age old enemies of fact and historians, have again begun their work; Was Luna forgiven and released? Did she finally defeat the darkness that took hold of her so long ago and return as a new mare? Or was she rescued - nay, saved - by an unlikely band of heroines?

Two short years have now passed, and the path of the story and the path of the facts have already diverged again. It is an old cycle, one that both princesses are familiar with. But, like with the Long Night, the journey from fact to myth can come full circle when that one, small, hard, unchanging kernel of truth is made relevant once again - That something happened.

Today is Hearth’s Warming Day in Canterlot, and a time for the celebration of all the things that the three pony races have been able to achieve while working together. Celestia’s sun shines bright in the clear winter sky, but does little to alleviate the chill in the air or to melt the snow from the streets. Those will remain until the Collegiate convene to change the seasons again. For now, Winter rules in Canterlot as surely as the Princesses.

As a result, there are only a few ponies outdoors; a shopkeeper here, a guardpony there, a group of foals throwing snowballs in the street. Most citizens, most sane citizens, however, have opted to stay indoors instead of venturing out into the cold. Every so often, you can catch glimpses through windows of families in their homes or in one of Canterlot’s many cafes and restaurants. Couples, young and old, are partaking in the pleasures of the holiday with cousins and grandchildren; their simple joy at each other’s company providing as much warmth as the heat from the fireplaces or the steaming mugs of cocoa.

By contrast, the Canterlot Central Railway Station is even emptier than the roads outside; save for a few ponies pulling carts of luggage, or lingering around the departures board, it looks like everypony else is enjoying the day off. The solitary sound of ones hoofsteps echoes off the tiled floors as you make your way through to the main ticketing office. It would be creepy, if not for the relentlessly bright nature of the decorations; white marble with a sunburst motif below, crystal windows above that catch the afternoon light like stars.

Only one ticket window is open, manned by a tan unicorn with wireframe glasses perched above his nose. Rather than spending his overtime by admiring the majesty of the surrounding architecture, his attention is fully occupied by the latest Daring Do novel, released last week. In this most mundane of occupations, it would seem that adventure is a welcome consolation to having to work on a holiday.

What is of little consolation to you, however, is that the departures board currently lists almost every train as “delayed” ... Figures.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

The steady sound of hooves clopping on marble echoes round the hall, making it difficult to pinpoint their origin. Eventually, if one was paying attention, they would solidify down the south entrance, where a green pegasus stands, awestruck at the architecture. He's swift to pull a notepad and a small pen from his right saddlebag, but checks himself before he can use it. "Ticket first," he mutters.

Green wings carry him swiftly to the schedule board, where he smirks wryly at the multitude of red 'Delayed' markers. "Of course they are," he chuckles softly. "Everyone wants to go home for Hearths Warming Eve."

Shaking his head a bit, he approaches the ticket booth and checks the prices. Bits clink on the counter in front of the distracted teller as he clears his throat softly. "One adult one-way to Ponyville, please."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Another set of clopping hooves joins the first, falling heavily on the marble floors. A denim blue earth pony mare approaches the ticket booth, with a fairly hefty suitcase on her back. Her short, unkempt gray mane and hastily arranged toolbags on her her sides bely a stressful day.

As she falls into line behind the green pegasus, she looks up at the departure board and groans. "Well, there goes our holiday dinner plans," she says.
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-09 at 11:25 AM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

4. - Top - End - #4

The pegasus merely nods and smiles sympathetically. "Family?" he inquires.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, in Ponyville," she replies. "I wanted to get out this morning so I would get there in time for Hearth's Warming Dinner. But then there was one problem after another. At this rate, I'll be lucky to get there before midnight."
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-09 at 12:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

"It looks like we'll be taking the late train together, then," he remarked, slight discomfort creeping into his voice. "Do you know of any good inns in Ponyville?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

She thinks for a moment before replying. "Well, there is one I know of, I think it's called the Sweet Dreams Inn or something along those lines. Actually, I think it might be the only inn they have." A little bit of tension starts to leave her face as she gets into the rhythm of small talk. "I'm guessing you've never been to Ponyville?"

8. - Top - End - #8

"I'm afraid so," he said, his features showing a bit of relaxation with this stranger. "I've been doing a bit of traveling lately, trying to discover everything I can about Equestria."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's a nice, quiet little town. Or at least it was quiet when my folks moved there a few years back. I can hardly believe half the things my sister says goes on there these days."
    "If you've been travelling, though, I bet you've seen all kinds of interesting things."

10. - Top - End - #10

"A bit," he chuckles uneasily. "I've been mostly learning about the larger pony cities, like Manehattan, Fillydelphia and Canterlot. Trouble is, there's not a lot of things to be discovered there, so it's time to move on. I heard about a truly intriguing forest near Ponyville, so I decided to investigate." Stretching, he works out a kink in his wing before continuing. "My name is Dive Bomb, son of Thunderhead and Aurora Wind. What's yours?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Grease Spot," she says, extending a hoof. She shows no recognition of his parents' names. "It's nice to meet you, Dive Bomb."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

In the station, a thin mottled grey unicorn walks sullenly, shivering against the cold. She carries a small saddlebag which she hugs close to try and get some measure of warmth from it.

"Of all the stuff I put up with this has got to take the cake." she mutters to herself as she walks toward the ticket booth. "'Hey Soot? Mind running a few errands for me?' he says 'Sure' I say 'I could use a few bits to buy a gift or two for Heart's Warming day' 'Great' he says 'Could you run down to Canterlot to pick something up for my marefriend?'"

She snarls to herself as she realizes that the only thing that tops that is the fact that she agreed to it. "Okay, okay" she mutters to herself "Don't think about that, you did the job for him, and the foals will be escatic when they see what you brought them."

She looks at her saddlebag with a smile, thinking about Scamp's face when he saw the hoof spun helicopter, how the twins would adore the ornaments to make their little home look the part for Heart's warming day. And the little smile Whisper would make when she wrapped him up in the scarf. She had considered using the scarf now with the cold around her, but no, she decided, these gifts were special and nothing, not even the cold was going to spoil her mood going home.

This hope was quickly stomped on when she glanced up at the train times.

"WHAT THE FLICK!!" she loudly exclaims to everypony in a mile radius.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Any further familiarities between Grease and Dive Bomb were interrupted by the sound of a pony clearing his throat behind them.

"Pardon me sir, ma'am, but are either of you going to buy a ticket today?" The teller asked, his tone acerbic. Honestly, ponies these days. Couldn't they see that they'd interrupted his reading only to ignore him like that?

He opened his mouth to say something more when a loud exclamation caused him to take note of a grey mare near the departures board.

"Oh. A dissatisfied customer. Joy." he deadpanned.

14. - Top - End - #14

About to extend a hoof, Dive Bomb halts when he hears a filly's shrill exclamation. Glancing between the ticket booth and the source of the noise indecisively, he settles for a quiet call of "Is everything all right?"

Glancing back at the teller, he pushes forward his bits. "One adult one way ticket to Ponyville, please," he says again.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-09 at 04:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot's ears flatten against her head as she turns, startled by the sudden noise. However, unbalanced as she is from her attempted hoofshake, her luggage sways on her back, forcing her to stagger drunkenly to keep it from crashing to the floor.

Once she regains her balance and sees the source of the shout, she lets out a nervous chuckle. "Sounds like somepony is having a worse day than I am."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Outside, the snow draped beautifully over the ornate station. Although Crown Cork traveled regularly, the site of Canterlot station always took his breath away. Empty and abandoned, full of bustling ponies, sunlight off the windows, winter freezing its walls, it could inspire him all times of the year. Tonight, the magic of Hearth's Warming just made it all the more beautiful. For a brief, happy moment, he took in the sight and forgot all about the unhappy task at hand, and the decision he would have to make at its conclusion. And then it was over, his cabby pounding at the window impatiently.

The downside to Hearth's Warming's magic was that it meant all the busboys were at home, enjoying their time off. He'd have to carry his suitcase himself; how fortuitous he packed so lightly. Yes, just his spare sketchbook, a half-dozen or so jars of paint, a set of brushes, an easel, his pencils, the notes for the meeting tomorrow, his extra scarf, and not to mention his bits. Just the essentials for an overnight trip. He'd hauled his luggage up the stairs when a shrill, oddly family cry reached his ears. "Oh, I do hope that isn't the sound of cruel fate aiming yet another blow against me," he mused to nopony in particular as he started off at a brisk trot into the terminal.

(Staggering his arrival to let Soots have her proper intro)
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot's ears catch Dive Bomb's comment and her head whips around towards him. She begins to stomp over to the back of the ticket line.
    "Alright? Of course I'm alright, why the hay wouldn't I be alright?" her voice seems to drip with sarcasm "I've always wanted to spend Heart's Warming Day freezing my flank off in a train station, and now look where I am!"

She pulls out the small tattered bag where she keeps her bits out of her saddlebag "Honestly how could this day get any better?" she asks to herself before reaching inside her bag with her telekinesis. Her face suddenly freezes as her magic feels around inside the bag before turning it inside out and depositing a single bit into her hoof.

She appears frozen in time as she stares at the coin.

Her eye twitches involuntarily.
    Last edited by Ravian; 2012-10-09 at 04:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Grease Spot's ears flatten against her head as she turns, startled by the sudden noise. However, unbalanced as she is from her attempted hoofshake, her luggage sways on her back, forcing her to stagger drunkenly to keep it from crashing to the floor.

Once she regains her balance and sees the source of the shout, she lets out a nervous chuckle. "Sounds like somepony is having a worse day than I am."
    "Not as bad as mine" muttered the teller, who had been promptly ignored again.

19. - Top - End - #19

Shrinking back a bit, Dive Bomb sighs a bit, causing a cloud of mist to hover in the air briefly. He shoves his bits at the cashier and then turns to the filly. "I'm sorry," he says quietly. After a few seconds where he appears to be debating internally, he continues. "There's really not a lot we can do, though, except wait."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Dive Bomb collects his ticket, Grease Spot advances toward the ticket booth and pulls a few bits out of her saddlebag, placing them on the counter. "One ticket to Ponyville, please," she says warmly, before turning back to the distraught filly.
    "I think all of us would like to be by a warm hearth right now. Celestia knows I do." She pauses, seeing the single floating bit. "Are you..."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot appears not to hear Dive Bomb or Grease Spot, instead staring at the single bit as if it had just wished her a merry Heart's warming. Her eye twitches once more.
    Last edited by Ravian; 2012-10-09 at 05:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you for choosing to ride with Canterlot City Rail. A fair fare from here to there" the teller droned, miffed that nopony had bothered apologizing to him.

"There's a waiting room over there." he finished, indicating a nearby doorway that was clearly marked with a sign.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Thank you," Dive Bomb says, perhaps a bit coldly as he snags his ticket. Seriously, this guy acts as if he's the only guy working tonight, he muses. Slacking on the job, ignoring customers, and he gives us grief for making his night worse? His internal dialogue is cut short as he notices the single bit floating in the frigid night air. A rapid glance at the price table confirms his suspicions. Well, that won't do. Um. Phrasing... "Where do you need to go, kid?"
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-09 at 05:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Unfortunately for anyone who had a problem with his attitude, the teller pretty much was manning the only open ticket window today.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot seems to smoke as she begins to believe that the universe is actively trying to make her life into some sort of cruel joke. Her twitching intensifies and for several moments it appears she's about to explode. Then Dive Bomb's words register and fuse is cut as she returns to reality.

"Huh?" she looks at the Pegasus slightly suprised. "Um.. Manehatten" she regards him for a moment and frowns, a look of suspicion on her face "Why do you care?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease chuckles a little bit at Dive Bomb's words. He can't be more than a couple years older than her.
    "I think he doesn't want you stuck in a cold train station without a way home," she says. "That's no way to spend Hearth's Warming Day."

27. - Top - End - #27

"Indeed," he says, nodding in confirmation. "A bit won't buy you very much distance traveled. Do you need help?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

"Oh, well yeah I guess." the suspicion still evident on her voice. She still looks suspicious, unused to such charity and still wary for some kind of trick.

29. - Top - End - #29

Squinting a bit at the fareboard, Dive Bomb signals to the cashier. "If it's not too much trouble, one foal's ticket to Manehattan, please? Thank you!" He places some bits on the counter, looking with dismay at his own diminishing supply. I really need to fly more places, he thinks to himself. Traveling isn't cheap. "So, you're pretty far from home," he said slowly. "Is everything alright?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The teller quirked an eyebrow, as if to ask "is she really a foal?"

Shrugging, he began processing the order. It wasn't like it was his own money at stake here.