New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

"Dive Bomb, wait," Grease Spot said as the pegasus started to enter the train. "This thing will go off when it is physically interacted with. I think that if we set it off when it's not near anypony, we should be alright. Would you be willing to drop something on it from above? After we're sure that everyone's away, of course."

"As for you," she said to the melodramatic colt, starting to push him into the train, "What in Equestria has gotten into your head?"
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-21 at 11:53 PM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dive Bomb paused on the steps of the train. "From how far?" After all, if the blast radius was large enough, then he'd be stranded in the desert by himself anyway. Granted, it might make it easier in the long run to abandon the train anyway; an average pegasus could make the Manehattan-Ponyville journey in a bit over an hour, and he was far from below-average. He sighed, remembering his evaluation of the various philosophies. Curse you, John Stallion Mill, and your utilitarian logic.

He flapped up to the top of the train, and stood there with his wings extended. There were relatively few air currents around the train, but he noted which one was the strongest for his evaluation.

He glided down and considered. "We should empty the diner car before doing that," he decided. "We have at least a days journey to the nearest landmark, and others are farther. We won't last long without food."
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-22 at 09:54 AM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot glared at Cork musings, and was about to use a hoof to the cheek to break him out of his stupor before he heard Dive Bomb mention the dining car. "I'll see what I can find." she said trotting toward the dining car. She briefly glanced back at Cork "If you're not functional by the time I get back, I'm belting you, got it?" She opened the door to the dining car, hoing it was still intact.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

The dining car was largely intact, if a little slanted due to the way the carriage had settled in the sand. The central portion of the carriage was clear, and formed a passage between the tables that lined the sides, their white tablecloths still emblazoned with the logo of Canterlot City Rail in golden thread.

A smaller compartment towards the far end of the dining car contained the kitchenette, where the galley chef would prepare the meals for the passengers prior to serving. As one might expect, it held a selection of herbs, flowers and salads, tucked away in a series of magically powered vegetable crispers. There were also loaves of bread and other condiments stacked along the metal cooktops.

Unfortunately, the power seemed to have died when ... whatever had happened had happened. The items in the crispers would not last long without some kind of cooling mechanism.

Even more important than the food was a large metal container, bolted to the wall and labelled "drinking water".

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Well I never! Cork harrumphed as he was bodily dragged into the train and then threatened by the little imaginary filly, before remembering that neither of these ponies were actually there. Ugh, this was starting to give him a headache. Perhaps self-awareness in dreams wasn't a power ponies were meant to have? Oh, the burden of a great imagination...

After Grease Spot dropped him unceremoniously in the train care, the colt picked himself and dusted some sand out of his mocha coat. "I assure you, I am well within my right mind. But this is hardly fun anymore, and I don't intend to spend my dreaming hours in a metaphysical debate with a construct of my own imagination. If you don't mind, I'm going to sit in a corner and wait for the scene to change." Crown huffed and made his way to one of the open cabins, where, if he made it that far, he promptly curled up on one of the beds and tried to take a nap.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

"Dreaming hours?" Grease looked at him incredulously for a moment, then facehoofed. I guess that explains it. How out of touch with reality is he? "Crown, you're not dreaming." She tried to think of something to say to follow that up, but couldn't think of anything that wouldn't lead to slapping him upside the head. Not wanting to degenerate into violence against a minor, she stuck her head out the window and addressed Dive Bomb.

"Has the cloud moved at all?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Crown paused, nearly about to lay his head down. "Yes...'I'm not dreaming'...that is probably what you'd say here..." The young businesspony yawned loudly, and curled up on his slanted mattress for a nice dream-nap.

Wait, dream-nap?!

He sprang awake, rubbing furiously at his eyes. How could he possibly close them if he was dreaming?! In all his years of sleeping, he'd never once recalled a dream where he wasn't watching every minute of it. No sleep, no naps, no blinking, even. So then how, right then, was he able to do just that? The doubts swirling through his head were dulled as he glanced out the open window, and beheld the infinite expanse of sand. No...not if the alternative is this is somehow real. I mean, really, how does one go to sleep in a train, then wake up to find themselves plopped in a desert, cars and all? A dragon came and spirited them away? Crown had a nice, quiet chuckle to himself. Really, that sort of thing only happens in fairy tales and the like. My life has enough of that as is, thank you very much.

Doubts quelled for the moment, Crown Cork laid back down for a nice spot of rest in the burning heat of midday.

8. - Top - End - #278

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "Dreaming hours?" Grease looked at him incredulously for a moment, then facehoofed. I guess that explains it. How out of touch with reality is he? "Crown, you're not dreaming." She tried to think of something to say to follow that up, but couldn't think of anything that wouldn't lead to slapping him upside the head. Not wanting to degenerate into violence against a minor, she stuck her head out the window and addressed Dive Bomb.

"Has the cloud moved at all?"
    ((I want to say no, but I have no control over it.))

"We can wait for a while to see if it moves," he replied cryptically, engaging in a staring match with the mauve miasma of magic. It was one of the more interesting things he'd come across; it was almost a shame to destroy it. He stifled a snort, thinking about his younger days when he'd have tried to tame it and make it his pet. As is, it would live on in his notepad.

"About how big an explosion are you expecting?" he inquired of the mare. "If possible, maybe we could lead it away from the train before detonation."
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

After a short delay, the cloud began drifting again. Not changing elevation, it slowly hovered back above the carriage Cork and Grease had entered.

10. - Top - End - #280

"It appears to be following Crown Cork," the pegasus observed. "Can you convince him to lead it away from the train?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease thought carefully before responding. "To be honest, I'm not even sure there will be a blast radius, much less how big it would be. It depends on the specifics of the original spell. But to be on the safe side, let's assume a minimum radius of the length of a train car. Unless of course Soot can tell anything more specific about it.

"But if we don't figure anything else out, here's the plan. Crown, you need to listen up," she said, poking the colt. "Crown, you're going to lead the cloud out away from the train by several car lengths. Then you're going to start running away from it, preferably not directly towards the train. The cloud doesn't seem to be very fast, so you should get a good length ahead of it. Once you're far enough ahead, Dive Bomb will drop a rock or something on it from above. Is everypony ok with this?"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Drat. And he was having a good dream-nap too. Crown yawned and slowly stretched himself out, like a cat in a particularly toasty sunbeam. "Mmmm, yes, I do believe that is a task well within my capabilities. Mind you, I don't *pfft* go out for runs *hee hee* that often." He hid a particularly bad case of the giggles behind a forehoof. Not that logic holds any reign here, I'm sure I'll run just as fast as I need to. Ooh, I wonder if I'll figure out flying...

With a graceful toss of his mane, Crown hopped off his perch and trotted out to the door, working himself up with a few stationary high-knee trots. "Ready when you are, my compatriots. Let's give this cloud its overdue what-for."

13. - Top - End - #283

Except for the absence of easily obtainable rocks, Dive Bomb thought, it seems like a good plan. He nodded, and went into the train to grab something. If all else failed, he could probably empty a bottle of pills and drop that, but he didn't want to do that; it got things disorganized and made the medicine get dirty. Anyway, he found something that would work towards the front of the train. It took a bit of work, but eventually he wobbled the metal coupling loose and flew back towards Grease Spot and Cork. "Ready," he reported, coupling in hoof.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-22 at 05:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Except for the absence of easily obtainable rocks, Dive Bomb thought, [/i] it seems like a good plan.[/i] He nodded, and went into the train to grab something. If all else failed, he could probably empty a bottle of pills and drop that, but he didn't want to do that; it got things disorganized and made the medicine get dirty. Anyway, he found something that would work towards the front of the train. It took a bit of work, but eventually he wobbled the metal coupling loose and flew back towards Grease Spot and Cork. "Ready," he reported, coupling in hoof.
    Ironically enough, just as he was flying back out of the carriage, Dive Bomb would have passed a large pile of rocks nearby. Yes, it was odd to find such an incongruous pile in the middle of the desert, but the universe's humour seemed to work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    With a graceful toss of his mane, Crown hopped off his perch and trotted out to the door, working himself up with a few stationary high-knee trots. "Ready when you are, my compatriots. Let's give this cloud its overdue what-for."
    After a moment's hesitation, the cloud began drifting over Cork again, like some dutiful balloon-puppy.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot remained almost completely unaware of the plan occurring outside the dining car as she began to thoroughly ransack the place Water, that's the most important thing, lots of drinking water and containers to put it in. And food, especially the nonperishable kinds. normally she wasn't used to just going wild in snatching things like this, but this occasion was both unusual and in everypony's best interest. She began looking through cupboards and cabinets for anything useful they could find.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 4 + Scavenging 1 + Willpower 9 = 14

(1d20+14)[20]
    Extra roll from wary
    (1d20+14)[27]

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

When the last confirmation rang out, Crown gave a dramatic (but decidedly horizontal) leap from the train. "I'm offffffffffff~!" he sung, strutting his way across the wastes. The train at his back, the sun in the sky, a potentially deadly (were it not completely fake, of course) cloud at his heels, all he needed now was the requisite theme for adventure. Should Dive Bomb fly close enough, he'd be treated to a spirited, hummed rendition of the Daring Do theme. Jazzed up to make it a little more original, of course.

Such would be Crown Cork's actions until he reached the required distance.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot remained almost completely unaware of the plan occurring outside the dining car as she began to thoroughly ransack the place Water, that's the most important thing, lots of drinking water and containers to put it in. And food, especially the nonperishable kinds. normally she wasn't used to just going wild in snatching things like this, but this occasion was both unusual and in everypony's best interest. She began looking through cupboards and cabinets for anything useful they could find.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 4 + Scavenging 1 + Willpower 9 = 14

[roll0]
    Extra roll from wary
    [roll1]
    There was plenty of non-perishable foods around, for one who knew how to look for them - biscuits, bread and even a tin of preserved Manehatten plums. It could hardly be called a balanced diet without greens, but it would last them for several days. Locating containers for the water was more difficult, as the kitchen mostly contained only serving jugs and cups, none of which would be suitable to a long trip. Scavenging under the sink did yield a number of plastic bottles of detergent and soap which, once emptied and washed, might hold a small amount of water per pony.

Soot also turned up a number of potentially useful items by rummaging through the dining car. Some baskets could, with a little bit of makeshift work, be used as saddlebags. The white table cloths could also be stripped to use as sun cloaks.

All in all, it was a rather successful scavenging trip, and Soot had amassed a small horde of supplies by the time she was done.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    When the last confirmation rang out, Crown gave a dramatic (but decidedly horizontal) leap from the train. "I'm offffffffffff~!" he sung, strutting his way across the wastes. The train at his back, the sun in the sky, a potentially deadly (were it not completely fake, of course) cloud at his heels, all he needed now was the requisite theme for adventure. Should Dive Bomb fly close enough, he'd be treated to a spirited, hummed rendition of the Daring Do theme. Jazzed up to make it a little more original, of course.

Such would be Crown Cork's actions until he reached the required distance.
    After a short pause, the cloud began to drift along behind the humming pony. It did not give any sign as to whether it appreciated the alterations Cork had made to the Daring Do theme, maybe it just didn't appreciate art.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot watched the younger ponies from the train. A thick knot of tension hung in her stomach. She really hoped that she hadn't underestimated the range of the cloud's effect. In fact, she hoped that all it did was teleport the coupling away. After all, that's what the original spell did. But magic wasn't always predictable, especially when it came to uncontrolled magic like this.

At any rate, all she could do now was watch and warn them if something went obviously wrong. So she watched, and hoped.

19. - Top - End - #289

Dive Bomb nodded, and flared his wings to jump up. Reveling in the freedom of the third dimension, he rapidly remembered his due attention and focused on the uniting (coupling?) of miasma and coupling. By the Princesses, is he... humming? This pony is... He resisted the urge to facehoof, painful as it would be with the coupling there. The instant the pony moved, he closed one eye, aimed down the hoof, and dropped the coupling straight into the miasma.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-23 at 10:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease Spot's eyes widened. "Run!" she yelled, though she knew that the coupling would reach its target before her words registered in the colt's ears.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

(Taking a bit of poetic license with the immediate effects)

Far away, too far for Grease Spot to see, the colt's ears perked up mid-gallop. "Hmm? Run? But I'm already running, aren't I?" he mused to himself. Now who could that have been, and why would they want him running twice? Too faint for the close-up Dive Bomb, perhaps somepony from the train? Crown scanned towards the train for clues, and something from above him caught his eye. Rather, something large, purple, and roiling and sparking with increasingly unstable magic-

Oh. That's why they want me to run.

"...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!"

Suddenly, all notions of whether or not he could be in true peril within a dream were drowned out in the uproarious desire to run for all he was worth. Which, at the current level of the market, ended up being quite a lot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling to run for my life! Sadly, it's just a straight Body roll. Adding a point of Willpower, unless it's useless to roll anyway.

Body 2 + 7 Willpower: (1d20+9)[20]

"Come on, legs! I know I forget to let you play on many occasions, but can't we bury the hatchet and put those differences behind us? Quickly, perhaps!?" The colt rambled in-between gasping for air.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-23 at 02:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

The cloud didn't disperse like an ordinary cloud when struck, instead it began to fizz and spark as the coupling vanished inside it's roiling purple mass. The cloud rumbled ominously, the sound seemed to resonate within each of the ponies present, as if some primeval force was shaking them from the inside.

Cork, being the rational, down to earth pony that he was, took off as fast as his hooves could carry him, screaming like a little filly all the while. And just as well, as the cloud began to discharge items out of it like a garden hose somehow stuffed with solid objects.

There was a flash, before a pot of flowers came flying out. It sailed through a slight parabolic arc before gravity and sand ended its brief journey.

A second flash precipitated a book.

The third, an iron helmet.

The fourth, a "WAUUGGHAAGAHAHAAHAA!!!!"

The grey unicorn guardpony cried out in panic as he sailed through the air before landing snout first on the dune, his golden helmet askew and the plume still smouldering.

Its job done, the cloud of magic broke up. Oddly, the tendrils of purple smoke did not disperse uniformly, instead shifting direction before vanishing into the large rock pile like water down a drain.

"Ohgg" muttered the insensitate guardpony. "That was fun, let's never do that again."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot's ears perked up as the cloud rumbled and discharged its load. She finished gathering up some supplies in a large wrapped up table cloth. Then poked her head out from the train.
    "What the hay are you three doing now?"

She gazed upon the guard lying on the sand, her eyes bulged in suprise before she rolled them as she recognized the guard. She sighed and trotted over to the guard. "We just can't get rid of you can't we?" she asked as she offered a hoof.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ughh ... can if you want to I guess." The guard replied, greatfully accepting the offered hoof and groggily staggering upright. He tapped the side of his head, causing a small stream of sand and feathers to cascade out from his ears. "Did say I'd stick next to you guys though."

He looked around, taking in the sights.

"Wow, I didn't know Ponyville had beaches like this!"

25. - Top - End - #295

Dive Bomb temporarily lost his eyebrows, and then found them huddling in the middle of his mane. Was he not supposed to do that yet? As the earth ponies fled, he stayed and peered into the depths of the mist. That was an interesting thought; it was in the form of a cloud, so was it possible for him to manipulate it?

It was a fairly moot point; he watched with interest as the cloud vomited a series of objects into the sand. A pot of flowers--really? Had there even been flowers on the train? It was just like a sea voyage; no matter what its identity going down, it was carrots coming up. Not that it was a bad thing though; he rather liked carrots.

Warily keeping clear of the swirling purple tendrils, Dive Bomb glided down to where the guard lay sprawled in the sand. No, he thought absently. As a landlocked village, Ponyville has a generous lack of beaches altogether. He looked the guard over for any signs of damage aside from his normal confusion at life and then trotted towards where the book and helmet lay. "What's this?" he wondered, pulling the book into his hoof for a closer look.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

The book was depressingly familiar; a yellow bound tome entitled "A Foals guide to being a better policepony".

"Oh hey, that's mine!" replied the guard, flushing as he went to retrieve it.

The dark grey iron helmet on the other hand, clearly didn't belong to him. The red plumes on it were rather stylish though, but would not have passed muster - guardponies of the day guard always wore light blue ones.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease breathed a sigh of relief. Everything had turned out just fine. Oh, it's that guard. Good thing we got him out of there. She trotted out, joining the others on the sand.

"Well, I'm glad to see you're alright," she said, addressing the guard. "We're not in Ponyville. Whatever attacked the train teleported us out here. Really, I have no idea where this place is, or how to get back." She turned to Dive Bomb. "Did you see anything while you were up flying?"

28. - Top - End - #298

The pegasus surrendered the book willingly enough, one corner of his lips twitching up. That helmet, though... It wasn't a guard pony helmet, at least not a solar guard. What's more, it couldn't have been from a lunar stallion, seeing as their armor was purple with razor-sharp crests.

He sat on his haunches contemplating it, occasionally buffing it absentmindedly. Could it have been from one of those griffons? He thought he remembered some red livery in the small station room. Yes, one of the griffons had worn a red doublet and an iron helm. Testing the theory, he slipped the helmet over his own head to test the fit.

Turning to the earth pony with the helmet in place, he nodded, retrieving the notepad from his right saddlebag. "Everything is at least a days journey from here." Blinking, he peered up at the sky to see if he could judge directions by how far the sun had moved.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see," she said, nodding slowly. A wave of despair rose inside of her, but she pushed it aside. All of that could wait until later. She turned to the guard and turned to her usual recourse in times of stress: conversation.

"You know, we never did get your name," she said.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

The young business pony collapsed in a heap of lost dignity, panting like a bellows. "Never...never again..." he moaned in-between breaths. "Next time...get...a better...running pony...I'll...*huff puff*...supervise..."

All of a sudden, he stopped. Not breathing, of course, but all the groaning, the leg-twitching, all of the theatrics were gone. "Wait...lungs burning...legs ache...I....I'm in pain..." The wheels in his head turned, picking up speed. "You can't...hurt in a dream...always wake up first...which means...which means..."

Crown lifted a hooffull of sand, letting it slowly fall before his eyes like so many grains in an hourglass. "...this...is a real desert." Thump! Went his leg as it flopped limply onto the ground. "I...I'm in a desert." No, it didn't sound any less crazy when he said it out loud.