New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

Stars exploded in his vision as the ground knocked the wind from his lungs with its unyielding *thunk*. Pain - actual pain! - tore through his snout. The colt lifted his head just enough to cradle his poor, aching nose. Crown was no stranger to hard work, and he'd surely had the odd bump and scrape before, but actual, honest pain? He was at a complete loss of what to do with this development. Well, almost. "Ooooooh...my poor nose..." he loudly lamented, still laid out on the unforgiving sand.

Though he would not dare admit it to those under his care, were it not for Miss Spot, he surely would have laid there for quite some time, wallowing in his sorrows. As it was, the task was a welcome distraction from his throbbing nose. Sniffing audibly, he picked himself up - eyes tearing up as he saw his mocha hooves were darkened with blood, his own blood - and trudged over to the window. Nothing to be seen there, but it may serve a better exit than the high-up door. A few sharp raps let those inside know his presence. "Mithter Highwind-oh!" His bloody hooves flew to his mouth; was that nasally, lisping assault on his eardrums really his marvelous voice?! Oh dear, oh dear...if circumstances weren't dire, he'd keep his mouth shut until he could find a handkerchief. Reluctantly, he called out again, "Mithter Highwind! Ith Mithter Cork! From the train thtathon! Are you unharmed?"
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-25 at 04:54 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot welcomed the guard pony as he joined her in the dining car. She usually made a point of avoiding guards, but this Igneous Bluffs seemed harmless enough, plus his gullibility made him somewhat endearing. "Alright then Iggy, think you could count up how much supplies we have? I want to know how long we have before we need to find more food."

Or else die out in the middle of Celestia knows where." she thought to herself No! Bad thought! Keep it together. there was way too much stuff to do now for her to start worrying about everything else. She shook her head vigorously to try and purge the negative thought from her mind. Think of something else, like other supplies we'll need, or... what in Celestia's mane is that racket? she turned to Iggy, "Wait here one moment."

she looked out at Grease and Cork scampering about the upended train car. She went out to see what was the matter "What're you two going on about...
    Crown are you all right?!" she noticed the blood caking on the Earth Pony's
    muzzle and rushed over to look at it closer "I already said I wasn't going to kill you, you didn't have to do it yourself!"
    Last edited by Ravian; 2012-10-25 at 05:22 PM.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, it's you again?" Came the female voice. "Ambassador Highwind can't answer right now, he's ... he's not doing very well."

There was the sound of something heavy being shifted inside before the door cracked open, revealing a rather dishevelled gryphoness. Yellow eyes stared up at Grease, but though they still contained an edge of hardness, they weren't the predatory eyes that had shocked her so badly before.

There was something ... worried in them.

"What's going on? What happened?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot welcomed the guard pony as he joined her in the dining car. She usually made a point of avoiding guards, but this Igneous Bluffs seemed harmless enough, plus his gullibility made him somewhat endearing. "Alright then Iggy, think you could count up how much supplies we have? I want to know how long we have before we need to find more food."
    Igneous nodded, and got to counting the slices of bread in each loaf.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Crown had lived in the business world far too long to not understand double-talk. Thoughts of the kindly, noble griffon they'd met just a short while ago ran through his head, each one turning darker than the last. Such a soul couldn't be felled so easily, could he?

Without a moment to lose, he scrambled for the rear of the car. Perhaps if leaping could not bring him to his new friend's aid, a short climb could? He'd hardly put hoof to caboose when Soot came rushing out to nip at his proverbial heels. "Later, Thoot, later!" he protested as he struggled to climb. "Mithter Highwind and hith attendenth needth it more than I!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Body check to climb up the carriage, Soot is free to interfere.
    Body 2: (1d20+2)[10]

5. - Top - End - #335
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seeing the earth pony struggling to climb the carriage, and the blots of blood already staining the soil, Dive Bomb flew up beside him, and silently offered a hoof. The griffoness was obviously troubled, and he found himself shrinking away almost automatically. Much better to have someone who could actually talk to others comprehensibly.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, long story short, we've been transported out into the middle of a desert somewhere. Hold on," she interrupted herself to go give Crown a helping hoof getting up to the top. "Do you need any help?" she asked once she was back in sight of the door.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

"Me? I'll live." The gryphon replied, as she began to pull herself up out of the doorframe. It took a moment, for the others to ease her out gently. Her right flank was bruised, and though she opened both wings once she was out in the clear, causing a small woosh of desert air, she quickly closed one with a wince.

"A desert ... how under the Sky ..." She muttered, shielding her eyes with a claw and glancing around at their immediate surroundings - which is to say that she took in the sunny, 360 degree beachside weather with a frown.

"Well that's not good, I was hoping we'd have a rescue crew or something from the crash to help with the Ambassador" she said, nodding back towards the inside of the carriage.

Peering inside revealed a complete mess. Everything that hadn't been nailed down had fallen towards the back of the carriage; books, shelves, chests, sheets, pillows and clothing. On top of the pile of mangled goods, someone, likely the gryphoness, had wedged a large mattress. The gryphon ambassador lay there, but apart from the slow rise and fall of his chest, he didn't move.

"I think he got hit by something when we fell. He hasn't woken up yet. I don't know what's wrong with him."

She listed the facts off quickly and professionally, as if running down a checklist in her mind.

[Multiple checks might be possible here, depending on how you want to react. It's a difficult climb down, hard to hoist him up, and the cramped, unstable conditions inside do not make for an easy diagnosis.]

8. - Top - End - #338

Oh, that's not good. Having stabilized the earth colt near the door, he gulped. I have no idea what I'm doing. Griffon biology is most likely substantially different from pony. Just going in and administering shock treatment could have some disastrous affect on an unknown system, and accidentally offing a chief diplomatic figure could never be good. Oh, hay, what am I doing? He'd have passed for an extremely well-made statue, if his eyes hadn't been twitching back and forth with his thoughts.

In a fit of agitation, he began beating his wings quickly and hovered next to the griffon. Then, his eyes hardened, and he began belting out questions of the griffon. "Are there any broken bones? Is he in shock? Do you know where the other pegasi are? If his neck or spine is hurt, it's bad to move him, but could the pair of us do it in a pinch?"
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey, I'm no doctor, I just hit things for a living." Replied the gryphoness, tersely. "If they'd covered medicine in basic, I'd have already looked after him by now. I got no idea what's wrong with him, s'why I haven't touched him any more than I had to yet ... could probably lift him out easily enough though."

"As for those other jokers, I haven't seen them since they got this unicorn guard pal of theirs to seal us in there."

10. - Top - End - #340

Huh. Why seal them in? He nodded slowly, trembling slightly at the responsibility that was his. Unless I miss my guess, that makes me the only one with any medical training. He groaned, and lifted the helmet onto the floor. Or wall, depending on your take. "Y-Yours, I think." Then, he indicated the hatch; "By your leave, I intend to e-examine him and determine if it's safe t-to move him out of there."
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-26 at 03:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey wait a second" Said the gryphon, placing a claw to stop him from getting any further. "What makes you think you can look after him?"

[DC 10, heart/medicine check to convince her you won't hurt the guy. Potential bonus if you can pull out some evidence or phrase it right. Also open to having someone back you up for a harmony bonus.]

12. - Top - End - #342

"W-well..." When she put it like that, she was quite right. After all, he didn't know nearly enough about griffon biology to make a qualified judgement. "I'm in training to become a doctor," he said quietly. "Though right now, I'm only qualified as a nurse." Technically, anyway. He'd read medical texts, and volunteered at the hospital, but hadn't actually finished his doctorate yet. Maybe he could get enough information as he traveled Equestria to actually finish that.

He hated it. Hated not knowing where he was. Hated not knowing whether Griffon anatomy was different enough where it counted. Hated that feeling of helplessness he had. Hated not knowing what the proper protocol was regarding the griffon's language and body language.

Wings bristling, he looked down the hole at the griffon lying awkwardly on the mattress. Someday, he wouldn't have to do this because he'd already know. Everyone would know. The thought of his goal transformed the curious look on his muzzle into a flat line in much the same way that a semi does a snake. Soon.

He eased off his saddlebags, and nudged open the flap on the right one for the griffon to see inside, to see the small rack of around a dozen bottles, rattling with an assortment of multicolored pills, leaves, and herbs. He dug past a roll of gauze and plucked out a small card decorated with ornate gold scrolls. Why was this so hard? "I'm not a doctor--yet," he said, wanting to shrink away, if possible, inside his own saddlebag. "But I still do my best to live by this code:" Here, he glanced at the card, and then looked straight at the griffon. " 'I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.'"

"I'm the best chance he has." These words, spoken to his hooves, were the quietest of all, and easily missed. They seemed to be spoken to himself first of all, and to everyone else second.

Spoiler
    Show
    d20+3 pharm. medicine. Because of the shy flaw, I don't get a heart bonus to social interactions. Do I get a mind bonus to the medicine skill?

(1d20+3)[11]
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-26 at 03:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhuh ... right ... well ... " The gryphon replied, flipping the card over in her claws just as she was turning over Dive Bomb's words in her mind.

"I'm the best chance he has."

The gryphon was silent a moment longer, before she handed the card back to the pegasus.

"Fine, go have a look at him. Let me know if you need any help."

[No mind bonus, this is about convincing her, so heart is the appropriate check. Luckily, pharm. med would apply, since it lends credence to your cause. It won't help much with diagnosing him though since this is all physical injuries. Incidentally, remember this roll for when XP is next doled out, as it counts as a "flaw screwing you over" moment]

14. - Top - End - #344

"G-good," Dive Bomb stammered. Good indeed! He'd just talked himself into giving a medical exam where he had only guesses and approximations of what might be wrong! What had he been thinking?

It was fortunate that the train car was relatively short, or he'd have had more time to berate himself. As is, he found a tipped over suitcase next to the bed, and perched there. With wings straight out in fright and tension, he ran his hooves over the body, looking for any abnormalities, fractures, or all the other stuff that should be but wasn't. He felt on the thigh for the kneecap. Now, if this were a pony, there'd a a reflex right about... there! He stared at it closely as he tapped just below the kneecap with a flick of his left hoof.

Spoiler
    Show
    Checking for broken bones, fractures, or shock. Basically, trying to find out if he's safe to move.

+5 mind.
    (1d20+5)[8]

Hoy. Maybe different anatomy?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-26 at 04:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a reflex reaction alright, one that took the form something brown and solid smacking Dive Bomb off the mattress with one swipe. It wasn't a hard hit, but the surprise helped it propel the pegasus into a painfully pointy pile of paraphernalia.

"Well, at least we know that wing still works." Quipped the gryphoness, looking down from above.

[Take 1 point of fortitude damage]

With this fresh reminder of the differences in gryphon anatomy, Dive Bomb resumed his assessment, but couldn't tell for certainty whether the gryphon was safe to move. Nothing seemed broken, but there were too many variables given the difference in species.

16. - Top - End - #346

"Ooof!" Grimacing in pain, Dive Bomb picked himself up again. "I-indeed." Who ever heard of a reflex that started in the leg and ended in the wing? Maybe it was some kind of fight or flight reflex? Seemed more like an unconscious reaction, like rolling over in the bed.

These wings... larger than those of a pegasus. Doubtless to be able to support the larger weight. And those claws... He shuddered, tearing his thoughts away from rending meat and ripping beaks, and the application of those to himself. After all, griffons were perfectly civilized. Anyway, didn't he have an examination to complete?

The problem was, he had no idea what to expect or to look for. It was like trying to determine whether a painting was authentic without ever seeing another of the artist's works. Rubbing his back, he felt for the pointy object that had stabbed him. It was probably too much to hope for a text on griffon anatomy.

"There doesn't appear to be anything broken, and the spinal cable is intact," he said, flying up to the top. "However, I know relatively little about griffon anatomy, and so can't be sure. I want to say that he's safe to move, but I'm not one-hundred percent."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease stood beside the gryphoness, looking down into the car. It was strange, she didn't feel nearly as intimidating as she had the day before. I suppose that yesterday she was a foreign dignitary's guard. Today, she's just another po... creature stranded here like us. She glanced over at the gryphoness. Well, a creature that's still somewhat intimidating.

"So do you have any idea what attacked us last night? We didn't get a good look at it."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

(Assuming Cork gets up to the Caboose, he's got two ponies helping him, and all Soot can really do is yell at him at this point)

With a last push, Cork crawled his way to the top of the caboose, and peered down into the dark train car. What he saw took his breath away; their new griffon friend, once so full of life and spirit, laid flat on a propped-up mattress. Would it not send the group into paroxysms of despair, he would shed a tear for his fallen ally. Alas, there was nothing he could do but await Dive Bomb's report with bated breath.

Upon his report, however, he discovered he may have been a bit too hasty in underestimating himself. "Excuth me," he interjected, carefully stepping forward. "Bud if ith a quethion of anatomy, I may be able to athitht. I am, affter all, both artitht and bithnithpony. Although I haveth nod had the chanth to thudy griffonth, we haveth a fine thpethimin right here," he motioned to the griffonness, as delicately as if she were a proper lady. "With a liddle thudy, I may be able to direct your thearch for whad ailth de Ambathidor."

The colt took another step forward, eyes entreating his pegasus companion. "Bud even tho, if anoder pair of hoovth would be any athithdance, I would like to lend mine for thith noble griffon. He dethervth bedder than dis."

(If you need anything translated to 'not stuffy nose', just let me know )

19. - Top - End - #349

The young pegasus nodded at the other colt. "Another set of hooves could be helpful in the examination," he mused. "However, regarding your statement with the other griffon; even a detailed examination of the exterior will not display the position of various organs, nor the neurology."

He shrugged, looking down the hole, then blinkingly at the griffoness. "If he were a pony, I'd say to get him out of there and onto an examination table. Lacking either, I'm going to go down and check for trauma, bruises, anything like that." After all, the ambassador seemed to be perfectly healthy; just unconscious.

"Do you know medicine?" he inquired of the coffee-colored pony, turning as he stood on the edge of the door.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

The young businesscolt shook his head. "You mithunderthdand. Wid my eye for form, I may be able to thpod thwelling and oud-of-line boneth and thuch from the thimple contourth ob griffon bodies. Nothing under de thurfath, bud id may aid your diagnothith."

"Ath for medithine, cutth and thcrapth are all I've deald wid. Bud I can hold bandageth and thuch ath well ath anypony." There just had to be something he could do to help; was he not a Cork pony, and was not his friend in peril?

(With Dive Bomb's help, could Cork navigate to the bedside?)

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    The young businesscolt shook his head. "You mithunderthdand. Wid my eye for form, I may be able to thpod thwelling and oud-of-line boneth and thuch from the thimple contourth ob griffon bodies. Nothing under de thurfath, bud id may aid your diagnothith."

"Ath for medithine, cutth and thcrapth are all I've deald wid. Bud I can hold bandageth and thuch ath well ath anypony." There just had to be something he could do to help; was he not a Cork pony, and was not his friend in peril?

(With Dive Bomb's help, could Cork navigate to the bedside?)
    "If you need help getting down, I can lend a hoof."

(Two ponies helping will get you more bonus than just one.)
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-26 at 04:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "So do you have any idea what attacked us last night? We didn't get a good look at it."
    "No." The gyphon replied, grumpily. "I was keeping watch at the door here when I heard that cry. Next thing I know, those pegasi are running around like panicked chickens and ordering the train to be locked down. I never got a good look at it."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Upon his report, however, he discovered he may have been a bit too hasty in underestimating himself. "Excuth me," he interjected, carefully stepping forward. "Bud if ith a quethion of anatomy, I may be able to athitht. I am, affter all, both artitht and bithnithpony. Although I haveth nod had the chanth to thudy griffonth, we haveth a fine thpethimin right here," he motioned to the griffonness, as delicately as if she were a proper lady. "With a liddle thudy, I may be able to direct your thearch for whad ailth de Ambathidor."

The colt took another step forward, eyes entreating his pegasus companion. "Bud even tho, if anoder pair of hoovth would be any athithdance, I would like to lend mine for thith noble griffon. He dethervth bedder than dis."

(If you need anything translated to 'not stuffy nose', just let me know )
    "Hey, go nuts you guys. Not sure what good it'll do, but if it gets him back on four legs then you're welcome to try." She replied, rolling her eyes at all the gibberish they were spouting.

(See OOC comments)

23. - Top - End - #353

Well, the getting down really wouldn't be a problem; one slip would get them down in a hurry. Head in hoof, he pondered the problem; if they got stuck, that meant that they'd have to rescue three people, instead of one griffon. Then again, with the griffoness' help, they could probably airlift the others out if necessary. And hey, even if nobody else had his degree of medical skill, more eyes meant less chances of missing something. Pursing his lips and concentrating, he then looked up, nodded, and offered the earth pony a hoof.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

(Two ponies helping will get you more bonus than just one.)
    "Dad would be lovely, much appethiaded." The colt said as he took Dive Bomb's hoof (and Grease Spot's too when offered) and started his climb down.

[Body check to climb down? What sort of modifiers are added for helping?]

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

(Double post. BECAUSE I CAN.)

Once lowered into the tight cabin, Cork nearly succumbed to his emotions and burst out bawling. The sight was even more grisly up close. But no, Mister Highwind needed him! Steeling himself, he called out to the others, "Mith Griffon! Pleath move in frond of de door where I can thee you! Mith Thpod, I may need you to examine thome thpotth a liddle more clothly, be ready!" To Dive Bomb, he gave a short nod. "Crown Cork, athithtent medic, ad your thervith. My hoovth are yourth."

[Yay, helping!]

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

"Erm, yes." It was a bit difficult to understand the colt through his stuffed nose. "I'll see what I can spot from here." She didn't know much about gryphon anatomy or medicine, but then neither did Crown. A pair of eyes taking in the whole picture couldn't hurt.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot looked at the scene with a bit of confusion Griffions? How'd they end up here? And why does everypony else seem to know them? trying to keep on the same page, she asked the griffioness warrior as politely as she could "I'm sorry, but who are you and your friend exactly?"
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot looked at the scene with a bit of confusion Griffions? How'd they end up here? And why does everypony else seem to know them? trying to keep on the same page, she asked the griffioness warrior as politely as she could "I'm sorry, but who are you and your friend exactly?"
    "Eh?" The gryphon peered over the edge of the carriage, seemingly only noticing the grey pony for the first time. "Oh hey ... I don't remember seeing you at the station."

"Listen, I'm not very good with the whole meet new people thing, so just call me Rinda, 'kay?" she said, only briefly holding Soot's gaze. "As for him, he's less my friend and more my boss - some bigwig diplomat from back home. All I know is that I'm meant to be guarding him ... and I'm probably going to get chewed out for the job I've done so far if we ever get out of here."

She cast a concerned glance back into the carriage.

"Assuming he ever wakes up ... otherwise, goodbye home for me ..." she muttered, more to herself than anyone else.

29. - Top - End - #359

(Assuming that the other ponies keep talking about griffon anatomy.)

The pegasus nodded at the other two ponies; it was somewhat crowded in there, and he frowned, feeling the pinch and absence of sky sharply. He shook off the feelings and felt over the griffon for any unusual bumps or bruises, any reason for him to be unconscious. His expert hoof prodded at feathers, lifted limp limbs while he listened to the other ponies reviewing information from... what was her name? Rinda? The name floated down from the top of the caboose.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reroll from Wary. Same factors as before, except this time being helped by his friends. +5 mind, +3 harmony.

(1d20+8)[18]

He paused as something he'd missed before jumped out at him.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-26 at 09:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

(Posting to flavor the help!)

Crown Cork glanced over Mister Highwind in-between holding back wings, propping up limbs, and keeping a ready supply of bandages and any other materials Dive Bomb asked for. "Mith Thpod, pleath check behind Mith Rinda'th earth, ith dere a curving bulge aboud the size of one an' a half hoovth, threching back towardth de rear of de head?" he called up to their other helpers.