Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    "Yeah, it's one of those doors that has an automatic lock, see?" The guardpony replied, pushing it shut behind Grease. It locked with a click.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    With a rather exaggerated facehoof, Dive Bomb moved to the door and turned the handle to release the larger mare. What use is a closet door that locks from the inside? Traditionally, you'd want a door that can be opened from the inside, but needs a lock to get into from the outside. The thought gave him pause, prompting a closer examination of the door as he pulled the doorknob.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Grease jiggled the handle of the door. Well that was one mystery solved. The only thing to do next was search the other parts of the station. Though she was getting the feeling that the mysterious unicorn had grabbed them and ran.

    ...

    ...

    "Ok, you can open the door again now."
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    With a rather exaggerated facehoof, Dive Bomb moved to the door and turned the handle to release the larger mare. What use is a closet door that locks from the inside? Traditionally, you'd want a door that can be opened from the inside, but needs a lock to get into from the outside. The thought gave him pause, prompting a closer examination of the door as he pulled the doorknob.
    On closer inspection, the lock was actually faulty. It looked like somepony had decided to jimmy it from the outside one time too many, resulting in the inside handle being jammed.

    [Mind check - DC 10 to repair it]

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    "Huh," he sighed, looking at the lock. "Makes a bit more sense." I suppose that I could try using a sparkler-stick as a prod, but since this was caused by jimmying the lock, it probably wouldn't be helpful. "Anybody got some tools?" he asked, not looking away from the doorknob. "This lock's been picked once or twice, but I think I can fix it."
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-12 at 02:14 AM.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    [Repair you say? ]

    "Oh, I've got some in here. I'll take care of it." Grease said. She rummaged through her toolbags for a moment, cursing their recent reorganization, before coming up with a narrow screwdriver that could fit in and clear the jam. Then she leaned in, looking for the problem.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 5 + Mechanic 4 + Repair 4 + Improvised Tool (+1) + Cutie Mark bonus (+1/2 again on the roll)
    [roll0] Still not working for me. On to manual rolling.
    Rolled a 4, so 4+2+14=20


    A brief moment later, the mechanism clicked into place, and Grease opened up the door. "Come on, let's keep looking," she said after replacing her screwdriver. "They might still be around here somewhere."
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-12 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Roll results
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    ((Wooo Teamwork! Also, Holy auto-success rate!))

    "Well done," Dive Bomb commented, though a little put out. I coulda done that... Although his pride was somewhat injured, he had to admit that the mare was good at what she did.

    Not in the closet, unless they're invisible. He felt around, just to confirm the absence of illusory infants. Assuming this was a burst of foalish unicorn magic, then they could have teleported, or just wandered off during the blackout. Though, to both blackout a room and teleport herself and her brother would probably be somewhat difficult for even a trained mage, I'd think. Two difficult, simultaneous castings? Not impossible, but statistically improbable at at least the .01 level.

    Eventually he spoke. "How are we going to do this? The more time we spend chasing false leads, the more time the foals are in danger. Either they've been foalnapped, in which case they're in danger, or they're on their own in a snowstorm in Canterlot, in which case they'll probably be frozen in a matter of minutes."

    He turned to the couple. "Has your daughter ever displayed the ability to teleport, phase through walls, black out buildings, anything like this?"
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    The two earth ponies exchanged a glance.

    "Well, um. According to one of our babysitters." began the father.

    "Whom we trust completely dearie."

    "Yes yes, moon pie, I know. Anyway, one of our close and trusted babysitters did mention that little Pumpkin both levitated herself and could phase through objects. The nurse said she should be growing out of that soon though ... we hope." He finished, a worried expression on his face.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    "Sweet Celestia what a hectic day." Soot muttered. Almost anything could have happened to those poor foals, they could have been foalnapped, or if they were having these surges, they could have gotten themselves anywhere, even hidden beneath their noses.

    "Hidden..." Soot's eyes glimmered as an idea struck her, she begins to channel magic into her Detect Life spell. Hopefully they were only a small distance away and simply hidden from view.

    ((the spell's within my abilities so are any rolls required? Also I basically modeled it after the Elder Scrolls version of the spell, causing all sentient beings to cast a golden light in Soot's mind))
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    The magic began to coaleasce around her horn, a golden nimbus of light, but how much would it tell her?

    [OOC: Going to do something a bit different here. Mind based roll, add skill ranks in the spell and tell me your result. The higher you get, the more you will see. Minimum to see anything beyond the room is DC 10]

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    "Magical surges, hmm?" Cork started to pace along in front of the parents, stroking his chin thoughtfully. "That solves the mystery of the magical darkness rather neatly." Suddenly, he spun to point dramatically at the inept guardspony. "You couldn't have done it, because at the time of the crime, you were busy uncomfortably hugging myself and Soot. We both would've seen you cast a spell of this magnitude!" Another whirl, another point at...the terminal door? "And our good friend the teller couldn't have cast it because he isn't even present! He had to leave unexpectedly after our conversation about the trains. Some unrelated business, no doubt." A final whirl, this time to point triumphantly at the parents. "And that just leaves little Pumpkin. Take heart, for this was no foalnapping; just a mere accident. Which, thankfully for us, narrows down our searching considerably."

    Now they were getting somewhere. On the scent, as it were. Made his blood boil with the thrill of the hunt, er, despite the seriousness of the situation. "Now we just need to whip up a search party, and we'll have them back before you know it. You! Miss!"

    He turned to Grease Spot. "Go outside and search for any sign of them. You! Sir!"

    He turned to Dive Bomb. "Hover up to the ceiling and see if they levitated. If you can find a window, check the roof. You! Soot!"

    He turned to Soot...who seemed to be in the middle of casting some spell. The bruise on his chest throbbed noticeably. He kept on turning. "Keep doing what you're doing. You! Other sir!"

    He turned to the guard...who seemed to be struggling with a rubber ducky. "...you...help me search in here. Remember everypony; look for foalish chew marks and listen for things getting pounded."

    He trotted a few steps away, then turned and pumped his hoof to the sky. "Those foals will be found! Now let's go!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Grease Spot arched an eyebrow quizzically at the colt (who's name she still didn't know, but that could be worried about later). Who exactly was he to give orders now? Especially since she still suspected a foalnapper. Unicorn foals may manifest unexpected powers, but a Spectacle like that should have still been beyond her reach.

    Still, though, it was possible, and if they were just outside someone should go check and see. She even had a direction to start looking in, given that they had passed through that closet.

    She nodded to the colt, and trotted out the door, mentally tracking where they would have gone if they phased through the back of the closet.
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-12 at 10:42 AM. Reason: clarification
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Although his wings bristled a bit at the brusque instructions, Dive Bomb did as instructed. You'd think some of these windows would have been designed to open, he scowled. After all, Canterlot gets hot in the summer. Eventually, he located a window whose latch hadn't been painted or rusted over, and flew out up to the roof.

    His eyes flitted, birdlike, from point to point on the roof, looking for the telltale signs of life. I really hope they're not up here. The pegasus could maybe survive, depending on whether he's gotten his down or not. Unicorn's a different story. Shaking his wings dislodged a layer of snow, though a sugar frosting appeared the second after.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Soot frowned as she tried to concentrate with Cork barking out orders. Because of course, we leave the guy who can't find his way out of a darkened room in charge. she tried to clear her mind as she focused on the life energy of every pony in the area.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 4 + Level 1 rank in Detect Life
    (1d20+5)[17]


    Bingo! Soot eyes glowed with a golden sheen as she opened them, illuminating all sentient creatures nearby in a similarily colored glow.
    Last edited by Ravian; 2012-10-12 at 10:56 AM.
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

    <Snipp'd for length>

    He trotted a few steps away, then turned and pumped his hoof to the sky. "Those foals will be found! Now let's go!"
    The guard gave Cork an approving smile as the two began to search the room.

    "Hey, you're pretty good at this, you ever thought of being a detective?"

    [Mind check to see if you can find clues regarding the twins movements. DC 10]

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Grease Spot arched an eyebrow quizzically at the colt (who's name she still didn't know, but that could be worried about later). Who exactly was he to give orders now? Especially since she still suspected a foalnapper. Unicorn foals may manifest unexpected powers, but a Spectacle like that should have still been beyond her reach.

    Still, though, it was possible, and if they were just outside someone should go check and see. She even had a direction to start looking in, given that they had passed through that closet.

    She nodded to the colt, and trotted out the door, mentally tracking where they would have gone if they phased through the back of the closet.
    Trotting outside, and past the nearby waiting rooms, Grease evenetually found herself looping around a corner and into an area that looked like it had been set aside for administrative offices. Her hoofsteps echoed eerily across the empty space, silent except for the chiming of the station clock, ringing out the hour.

    There were three doors in the approximate area her mental map directed her towards. Two were marked "Staff Break Room" and "Admin". The third door was marked "Station Master" and ... surprisingly, was flanked by a pair of alabaster-white pegasus guards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Although his wings bristled a bit at the brusque instructions, Dive Bomb did as instructed. You'd think some of these windows would have been designed to open, he scowled. After all, Canterlot gets hot in the summer. Eventually, he located a window whose latch hadn't been painted or rusted over, and flew out up to the roof.

    His eyes flitted, birdlike, from point to point on the roof, looking for the telltale signs of life. I really hope they're not up here. The pegasus could maybe survive, depending on whether he's gotten his down or not. Unicorn's a different story. Shaking his wings dislodged a layer of snow, though a sugar frosting appeared the second after.
    The rooftop seemed largely deserted, the snow was falling lightly, but it was by no means heavy enough to obscure a wonderful view of Canterlot City. It did, however, dampen down the sounds of the metropolis. Muting them such that the revelry of its citizens was nothing more than a distant murmer, punctuated by the occasional chiming of a clock in the near distance.

    Unfortunately, there were no hoofprints in the snow, nor anything to signify the passage of the children.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot frowned as she tried to concentrate with Cork barking out orders. Because of course, we leave the guy who can't find his way out of a darkened room in charge. she tried to clear her mind as she focused on the life energy of every pony in the area.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind 4 + Level 1 rank in Detect Life
    [roll0]


    Bingo! Soot eyes glowed with a golden sheen as she opened them, illuminating all sentient creatures nearby in a similarily colored glow.
    The spell snapped together, if not perfectly, then at least functionally. Immediately, Soot became aware of the presense of creatures just on the far side of the janitorial closet wall.

    One, two ... five ... eight indistinct, but large, golden glows seemed to be gathered in one room just on the far side. An unusually high number for a day like this, where the station was practically deserted.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Grunting lightly, Dive Bomb took off again, soaring around the station in a loop to see if there were any hoofprints in the snow. Seeing nothing, he circled around until he was facing the main entrance. Pumping his wings energetically, he drove himself up and around into a tight three-quarter loop, driving himself down towards the ground before pulling up in front of the door. He smirked as he touched down, leaning his shoulder against the door. Still got it.

    Entering the terminal, he shook himself briskly, sending frigid droplets of ice skittering along the marble floor. He then looked around again, listening and looking for the missing foals.

    ((Is Dive Bomb close enough to see Grease Spot and the two pegasi?))
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Soot looked around before noticing the glows beyond the closet wall. "Hold on a second everypony, I think I've found something, or rather somepony" she trotted into the closet and began tapping the far wall in various places. She was no stranger to hidden panels, nobles seemed to love the things for hiding valuables. "Now if I were a handle to a secret door, where would I be?..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Check to find anything suspicious on the walls
    4 + 2 from job of thief= 6
    (1d20+6)[24]
    extra roll from wary trait (1d20+6)[23]
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    The guard gave Cork an approving smile as the two began to search the room.

    "Hey, you're pretty good at this, you ever thought of being a detective?"

    [Mind check to see if you can find clues regarding the twins movements. DC 10]
    Cork's ego gladly ate up the compliments, the colt smiling to himself in satisfaction. "Really, it's just a question of paying attention to details. And, sometimes, a little push to get everypony on the right track," he said with a little wink. Now then, his painter's eye hungered for investigation. He took in the scene, looking for those little things the untrained pony may glance over.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what might apply here. Perhaps his Painter job and Painting skills for attention to detail? There isn't anything to make special here, so no Talent for him. Anyhow, here's the base roll, and the relevant potential modifiers:

    Base Roll: (1d20)[20]
    Job: +2 for Painter
    Skills: Either +4 for Painting or +2 for Sketching

    EDIT: Well. That makes the question a mite superfluous, now doesn't it?


    Something caught the clue predator's keen eye. "Well well well...what have we here?" He mused aloud as he closed in.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-12 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Grease blinked in surprise at the two guards. Didn't think anypony else was here. Well, this is more or less the other side of the closet, they should have seen something. Maybe they even have them safe and sound.

    "Excuse me," she said, polite but short, "A pair of young foals have gone missing, a pegasus and a unicorn. Have you seen them?"
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Grunting lightly, Dive Bomb took off again, soaring around the station in a loop to see if there were any hoofprints in the snow. Seeing nothing, he circled around until he was facing the main entrance. Pumping his wings energetically, he drove himself up and around into a tight three-quarter loop, driving himself down towards the ground before pulling up in front of the door. He smirked as he touched down, leaning his shoulder against the door. Still got it.

    Entering the terminal, he shook himself briskly, sending frigid droplets of ice skittering along the marble floor. He then looked around again, listening and looking for the missing foals.

    ((Is Dive Bomb close enough to see Grease Spot and the two pegasi?))
    The foyer in the front atrium was wide and open, giving clear sight of the pegasi as they spoke to Grease Spot.

    The quietness of the station today, void of sound except for the chiming of a clock, even enabled him to hear every word that was said in the conversation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot looked around before noticing the glows beyond the closet wall. "Hold on a second everypony, I think I've found something, or rather somepony" she trotted into the closet and began tapping the far wall in various places. She was no stranger to hidden panels, nobles seemed to love the things for hiding valuables. "Now if I were a handle to a secret door, where would I be?..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Check to find anything suspicious on the walls
    4 + 2 from job of thief= 6
    [roll0]
    extra roll from wary trait [roll1]
    Soot scoured every inch of what ... in the end, turned out to be a completely innocuous and unremarkable janitorial closet.

    Thanks to her fine-tooth combing of the place, however, she did notice a faint, almost imperceptible magical residue at about head height on the back wall.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Cork's ego gladly ate up the compliments, the colt smiling to himself in satisfaction. "Really, it's just a question of paying attention to details. And, sometimes, a little push to get everypony on the right track," he said with a little wink. Now then, his painter's eye hungered for investigation. He took in the scene, looking for those little things the untrained pony may glance over.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what might apply here. Perhaps his Painter job and Painting skills for attention to detail? There isn't anything to make special here, so no Talent for him. Anyhow, here's the base roll, and the relevant potential modifiers:

    Base Roll: [roll0]
    Job: +2 for Painter
    Skills: Either +4 for Painting or +2 for Sketching

    EDIT: Well. That makes the question a mite superfluous, now doesn't it?


    Something caught the clue predator's keen eye. "Well well well...what have we here?" He mused aloud as he closed in.
    Details details details. An ordinary pony may have missed these, but thanks to his fabulous senses, Cork was able to recreate a scene in his mind's eye.

    The lights go out, both foals begin near their parents.

    Some toy blocks were scattered near their bags, the direction point outwards, away from the two earth ponies, suggesting that something left the area rather than entered it.

    The chicken had been discarded inside the closet, plainly marking the passage of one of the foals.

    But no, he was not finished yet, some tiny hoofmarks on a nearby pile of magazines, which had been knocked over near the door way, coupled with a small thread of fabric caught on the doorframe indicated, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the passage of the other foal.

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Grease blinked in surprise at the two guards. Didn't think anypony else was here. Well, this is more or less the other side of the closet, they should have seen something. Maybe they even have them safe and sound.

    "Excuse me," she said, polite but short, "A pair of young foals have gone missing, a pegasus and a unicorn. Have you seen them?"
    "The two pegasi shared a quick, disciplined glance, before responding.

    "No foals passed by here ma'am." the first replied, gruffly.

    "And no admittance either, except on official guard business" The second responded, in a gravelly rumble.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    The breath caught in Cork's throat as the little clues put themselves in place, rushing to form a single, beautiful picture. "Nopony move!" he cried out, lest somepony disrupt the scene. Oh, were it not for Cork soda and his paints, he would've made Fetlock Holmes quiver in his tweed jacket.

    Like a pony possessed, he strode over to where the parents still sat. "The foals started here, with their parents. The lights go out," he started to slowly trot away, following a pair of ghostly foals his mind had conjured into the scene. "And they start moving. These blocks were knocked over, away from the foals. Ponies left instead of coming. Our two foals. The chicken in the closet shows the passing of one," he knelt down, pointing out the scraps of fabric and hoofprints. "And these show the passage of the other. Both foals were in the closet. And now they are not." He turned to face his audience; time to close the case. "If we forget the possibility that Celestia herself, detecting them in danger, spirited the foals away to safety, then we can only conclude the foals are..." he turned to dramatically point at the back wall, "Behind there!"

    His final words echoed through the empty hall, leaving a long silence in their wake. After which the master detective remembered to add, "You may resume moving, the deducing is done for the moment."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-12 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    The foyer in the front atrium was wide and open, giving clear sight of the pegasi as they spoke to Grease Spot.

    The quietness of the station today, void of sound except for the chiming of a clock, even enabled him to hear every word that was said in the conversation.

    "The two pegasi shared a quick, disciplined glance, before responding.

    "No foals passed by here ma'am." the first replied, gruffly.

    "And no admittance either, except on official guard business" The second responded, in a gravelly rumble.
    Dive Bomb looked with surprise at the two pegasi standing in front of the office. Fairly sure that they weren't there before, he pondered. Are these the royal guard? He looked at the two guards carefully, casting back his memory to the royal guardsponies he'd seen.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, rolling in person. Someone tell me how to do complex die rolls, please. And, holy crap, Brockjones: Nat 20+5 mind = 25.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    "Well, if you see them, please let us know so we can get them back to the waiting room," she said, before turning and taking a quick look into the break room and the Administration office in turn.

    [[OOC: Considering that her father used to be a Royal Guard, is there any reason why Grease would suspect that these aren't real guards?]]
    Last edited by One Tin Soldier; 2012-10-12 at 04:59 PM.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    The breath caught in Cork's throat as the little clues put themselves in place, rushing to form a single, beautiful picture. "Nopony move!" he cried out, lest somepony disrupt the scene. Oh, were it not for Cork soda and his paints, he would've made Fetlock Holmes quiver in his tweed jacket.

    Like a pony possessed, he strode over to where the parents still sat. "The foals started here, with their parents. The lights go out," he started to slowly trot away, following a pair of ghostly foals his mind had conjured into the scene. "And they start moving. These blocks were knocked over, away from the foals. Ponies left instead of coming. Our two foals. The chicken in the closet shows the passing of one," he knelt down, pointing out the scraps of fabric and hoofprints. "And these show the passage of the other. Both foals were in the closet. And now they are not." He turned to face his audience; time to close the case. "If we forget the possibility that Celestia herself, detecting them in danger, spirited the foals away to safety, then we can only conclude the foals are..." he turned to dramatically point at the back wall, "Behind there!"

    His final words echoed through the empty hall, leaving a long silence in their wake. After which the master detective remembered to add, "You may resume moving, the deducing is done for the moment."
    After the pronounciation was made, there was the clopping of enthusiastic applause from ... well it was only coming from the guard pony.

    "Well done!! ... now what do we do?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Dive Bomb looked with surprise at the two pegasi standing in front of the office. Fairly sure that they weren't there before, he pondered. Are these the royal guard? He looked at the two guards carefully, casting back his memory to the royal guardsponies he'd seen.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, rolling in person. Someone tell me how to do complex die rolls, please. And, holy crap, Brockjones: Nat 20+5 mind = 25.
    The two pegasi were quite clearly the genuine article. In fact, thanks to his exceptionally keen eye and repository of knowledge on the subject, Dive Bomb was able to make out the subtly hidden insignia on their collar plates. A sign that marked these particular pegasi as members of the Equestrian Diplomatic corps - usually tasked with the security of dignitaries of state.

    Any fake guards would not likely have remembered to include such detail on their uniforms.

    [OOC: The most important things with these rolls is that you tell me clearly what you are attempting to achieve. That usually makes it easier to tell what bonuses apply. Feel free to put forward suggestions on talents or skills you think may apply and why. ]

    Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "Well, if you see them, please let us know so we can get them back to the waiting room," she said, before turning and taking a quick look into the break room and the Administration office in turn.

    [[OOC: Considering that her father used to be a Royal Guard, is there any reason why Grease would suspect that these aren't real guards?]]
    "Will do ma'am" The guards replied.

    [Nothing that would cause her to suspect anything]

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    As Dive Bomb stared at the small insignia on the armor, something clicked in his mind. Suddenly, everything made more sense than a bit-converter. Of course, he thought. Somepony important is here, so they've got guards. The guards had to get in here somehow, preferably without anypony knowing, thus the cover of darkness. That's why the trains are all late. During the darkness, the twins goo-goo'd their way out of the waiting room...

    He paused in his conjecture, moving forward to join the blue mare. No, that doesn't make sense; they'd need to move much too quickly for that to have happened. After all, I went to check for them myself. He frowned in frustration, and nudged the older mare. "No sign outside," he said, giving a semi-jittery shake of the wings.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Soot rolled her eyes at Cork's dramatics "Well done Fetlock, I can just hear the criminal underworld shaking in their saddles." she peered at the magical disturbance. "I think my spell spotted one of them. The unicorn, Pumpkin Cake was it? I think she phased through the wall" she gestured to the two worried parents "See if you can coax her to come out, the walls may be thin enough for her to hear. I'm going to go see where the room she's in may be." Soot kept her detect life spell on as she went out into the main station, looking for doors to rooms neighboring the waiting room.

    (do I need another roll for Detect Life to keep track of the gleam of light that is probably Pumpkin Cake?)
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BlasTech's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    Soot rolled her eyes at Cork's dramatics "Well done Fetlock, I can just hear the criminal underworld shaking in their saddles." she peered at the magical disturbance. "I think my spell spotted one of them. The unicorn, Pumpkin Cake was it? I think she phased through the wall" she gestured to the two worried parents "See if you can coax her to come out, the walls may be thin enough for her to hear. I'm going to go see where the room she's in may be." Soot kept her detect life spell on as she went out into the main station, looking for doors to rooms neighboring the waiting room.

    (do I need another roll for Detect Life to keep track of the gleam of light that is probably Pumpkin Cake?)
    The two earth ponies shared a worried glance before poking their heads into the closet.

    "Pumpkin dearie? Are you in there?"

    "Come out, come out wherever you are."

    The stone walls of the closet did not react to their calls.

    Meanwhile, Soot was able to follow the wall around to the office area without much trouble. As she did so, the number of large golden blurs increased to ten. It soon became apparent that the two newcomers were Dive Bomb and Grease Spot. Two more blurs were accounted for in the two pegasi guards. The remaining six seemed to be inside the office they were guarding.

    [its a concentration spell, so no new roll needed. Unfortunately, while the spell cast successfully, you can't really pick out Pumpkin in any of the life signatures. (roll wasn't high enough for that sorry!)]

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    One Tin Soldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    [I'm assuming there was nothing of note in the other two rooms Grease checked? I'll revise this post if there was.]

    "There doesn't seem to be any sign of them over here, either," she said. "I though they had phased through the wall of the closet, which would bring them out here somewhere, but these fine gentlecolts said they didn't see her. Unless," she addressed the guards, "they might have appeared inside the room?"
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ravian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Soot trotted up beside Grease Spot and Dive Bomb looking at the door between the two Pegasi. "Oh joy, guards... and of the non-bumbling variety at that" she muttered to herself and her companions.

    She reviewed her options: Negotiation, frankly she knew from experience that guards, particularly royal ones like these, were remarkably stubborn in regards to accepting requests from dirty underfed fillies asking them to let her into whatever entrance they were standing in front of.
    She could go get that idiot in the waiting room, but she didn't trust him to remember what a foal looked like, much less find one that could phase through walls in a room, he would be a last resort.
    Infiltration, it was what she did best, but she doubted even she could sneak into a crowded room with only one obvious entrance guarded by royal guards and get out with a foal without raising too much of a fuss.
    Direct combat, she looked over the two guards before deciding that her day would not in fact be improved by being pinned to the ground by Canterlot guards.

    There was of course another option. Guards could be stubborn to anypony's requests no matter how sensible they seemed, but with a little luck, whoever was inside would be a tad more understanding. Soot took a breath before whispering to Grease Spot "After they're gone, wait half a minute before walking in and saying you think a foal got in here." Then she turned to Dive Bomb "Play along" before quickly opening his saddlebag, grabbing his bag of bits and bolting towards the nearest pillar. Once there she lighted her horn and willed the light to simply ignore her. "Magic don't fail me now" she whispers

    (I assume there'll be some checks involved in hiding from the guards, how much of a modifier would my stealth spell give to that?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the spell's effectiveness
    Mind 4 + Spell Level 3 = 7
    (1d20+7)[16]

    Stealth check
    Body 2 + Skill 3 + Job 2 = 7
    + modifier provided by spell
    base roll (1d20)[6]
    DMing: Glare of the Crimson Sun, a 4e Dark Sun campaign
    OOC
    IC
    Map

    Vaarsuvius pony avatar by slayerx

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Balmas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A secret base
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

    Dive Bomb had just enough time to think, play along with what? Then, a hoof dug into his saddlebag, and the grey filly took off running. He stared after her with a flummoxed expression normally reserved for assault victims, and then growled and gave chase. "You dirty rat," he roared, "I paid your ticket price! Get back here! Guards! Guards!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume that seeing through an illusion is going to be mind based, since it's the attribute related to the senses. So, +5 mind, rolled twice for the Wary trait.

    Roll 1: 13
    Roll 2: 11

    ...Ouch.


    He halted in the middle of the atrium floor, his abrupt stop sending clattering echos around the hall. "Where'd she go?" he muttered, looking around wildly.
    "Yeah, I might have overreacted I suppose, shooting him, but it wasn't his spoon! I stole ammo, fine, but what was with the spoon?

    "...When did I get a spoon, anyway?" ~Gopher

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •